Thread: XL Guide - Bulgaria

Default XL Guide - Bulgaria

This won't be a full guide, but enough to get started. Someone else can extend their personal conquest favorites :)

Bulgaria - High

Bulgaria in High is an interesting faction to play, more than early or late.
    Bulgaria has a central location on the map, in the middle of everything. It's
    far enough away from western europe to avoid becoming embroiled in the constant
    warfare there, and far enough from the conflicts in Asia Minor. And you are
    just far enough away from the east that when the Mongols come, they will help
    rather than hinder you, as they draw troops away from you.

The enemies around you are not very dangerous... the Hungarians are potentially
    troublesome, but not that strong, and looking towards the west and the HRE.
    The Byzantines are fading and not much of a problem anymore. The serbians are small, like you, and though you should keep an eye on them, shouldn't
    cause many problems. The Cumans are the most problematic, but they usually
    get distracted in the east and, once the Mongols arrive, will be plenty busy
    without worrying about you. In short, you are a forgotten corner of the world.
    Forgotten, but not for long.

Nearby as well are two very rich provinces - Greece and Constantinople - which are ripe for the plucking and will give you the finances needed to proceed with your world domination plans. And, the Bulgarians have a nice roster of sword and bow infantry, as well as access to Bulgarian Armored Pikemen (if you get to use them... I never have, apparently they are about the same as Swiss Armored Pikemen). They have some decent cavalry, including Boyars. In a way, it's like the Armenians, without the excellent cavalry, but with a better starting position and more variety in units.

GETTING STARTED

You start out with not a whole lot of troops, and none of your good ones. But there's no point in trying to rush anyways; no one around poses much of a threat. Your first order of business should be securing the rebel remains of the Byzantine empire, Greece and Constantinople. Both offer rich provinces, both in farming and in commercial possibilities. Constantinople also offers much more than that.. taking it gives you a whole slew of titles to confer, as well as a fortress and instant access to wargalleys. How you get there is up to you. But since you need money anyways, my usual order of business is to build... an emissary. That's right, we're going to do this with bribery. At least you want to bribe Greece... the general there, Leo Sgouros, is definitely worth making use of. He's got 4 command and something like 6 quills of acumen. Save him for Constantinople; you can give him the governorship of Constantinople, and them either the Patriachate (for a 6 star general with something like 8 quills) or the Captain of the Stables (for an 8 star general with fewer quills).

Bribing Greece is not something you can do right away. You might want to build a couple Bulgarian Heavy Infantry for security at first, and then forget about units for a while. These infantry are one of Bulgaria's secret weapons, and they are very good. But we need money. If you try to bribe Greece on the second turn, they will want 7000+, which you don't have. You can build a few buildings, you should build a church at least, but don't go overboard. If you keep trying every turn, some turn Greece will drop to ~3500 florins and greece will be yours (Constantinople will ask for ~11k florins). You'll need to move at least one of your Bulgarian Heavy Infantry into greece for pacification, though you can try to spawn some rebellions if you're so inclined as well and get some money that way. Build money buildings in greece - forest clearing, etc. You should be making some money now, ~700 a turn or so. Each turn try to bribe constantinople. Let crusades through if they come; they will soften the big C for you. Each turn they seem to want less, so eventually they will give you what you want.

Now you've got 3 provinces and a good base for a trading empire... or any other kind of empire you want to build. You should be pulling down ~2000 florins/turn now, enough to do just about anything you want. And so far, you haven't even had a battle. You have all kinds of options... start conquering immediately any direction you want. Build a trading empire and go for strategic conquests around the map. Reunite the Byzantine empire under the Bulgarian banner. Or various turtling methods... wait until the Mongols arrive and snipe at the Cumans back, moving into the steppes, or the Byzantines. Wait until Hungary gets involved in wars with Poland and Germany. The options are pretty open here.

SPECIAL UNITS

The Bulgarians have quite an extensive roster of unique units, and especially good bow and sword units, similar to the Byzantine roster.

Bulgarian Heavy Infantry - These are excellent sword units that in a pinch can also be used to decimate cavalry. Do not underestimate them, in the battles I've used them they are a lot like Huscarles, maybe not quite as good but close. You will lean on these a lot.

Bulgarian Brigands - These are also in vanilla, IIRC, but are still decent bow/sword combination units. Much better than vanilla archers. Can be used in combination with arbalests for best effect, they are not quite as good bow units as arbalesters, but they are better melee units.

Bulgarian Cavalry - Like a cheaper, but less effective, boyar. But since they are the best cavalry you get, you'd better make use of them.

Bulgarian Armored Pikemen - If you take Constantinople, you might actually get to build these, but with their high build requirements, you probably can't build too many. Not available until Late.

Note there are no really great spear units, but halberdiers usually fill that role for me anyways, and they are available.

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

Default Re: XL Guide - Bulgaria

I just started a campaign as Bulgaria in High, and my first unit in the queue was an emissary. I insist on this - first bribe Constantinople, especially because of the amount of income it offers (and that's with or without a governor); then bribe Greece. The valour your emissary gets from the first bribe should lower the cost for Sgouros to about 3244 or so (and by now, with taxes on high in Bulgaria and Constantinope, you'll be gaining around 2000 florins per turn, so that will help temper the bleeding of your treasury). I found that bribing Constantinople cost about 3000 florins or so, give or take a few hundred (but not much), and gives you the important valour point to lower the cost of bribing Sgouros.
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

Son of Gloin, Cleaver of Orcs Member Gimli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidonni
    I just started a campaign as Bulgaria in High, and my first unit in the queue was an emissary. I insist on this - first bribe Constantinople, especially because of the amount of income it offers (and that's with or without a governor); then bribe Greece. The valour your emissary gets from the first bribe should lower the cost for Sgouros to about 3244 or so (and by now, with taxes on high in Bulgaria and Constantinope, you'll be gaining around 2000 florins per turn, so that will help temper the bleeding of your treasury). I found that bribing Constantinople cost about 3000 florins or so, give or take a few hundred (but not much), and gives you the important valour point to lower the cost of bribing Sgouros.
    Yeah, you really NEED the income from Greece and Constantinople as Bulgaria! Serbia can SURVIVE without, but Bulgaria just isn't as rich... I actually usually do it in reverse as I have found it easier (and CHEAPER! ) to bribe Greece... Then I bribe or take Constantinople and use the Byz. Cav. General from Greece as the gov. for Constantinople because of his high acumen score!
    "May the best dwarf win!"
    ......... ...........

I have not been able to play MTW for a while now due to some pc hardware problems, but other than the Volga-Bulgars, which I find more enjoyable, this is the faction I have played most.
    I agree 100% that taking Constantinople is vital, for the income and the advanced buildings. Bribing the rebels there is next to impossible on expert, so I also agree that bribing Greece is probably the best opening move and the Byzantine infantry there really helps in the battle with those Feudal Knights in Constantinople. I usually try to take Constantinople in battle, as waiting to collect enough money for the bribe may allow the Byzantines to get there first and this is something you cannot afford. With a cheap combination of armored spearmen and Slav javelinmen the Feudal knights are easy to defeat, and your Tzar's Boyars can rout and capture the crossbowmen and Genoese sailors. I have been able to kill and capture all enemies, as the Feudal Knights have a high moral and often fight until the last man, which is quite noble of them, considering that if only a few of them escape it is a really long siege.
    Once you get Constantinople and Greece, it is time to consolidate the gains. First thing I build in Constantinople is usually a dromon, followed by some more ships, as I need something to protect me from the Byzantine navy, and the Sicilians and Venetians have a habit of attacking Greece by sea. The Serbs always accept an alliance and the Hungarians never do, but these two are unlikely to cause any problems. The Cumans usually attack and as they have to come through the Danube, the battle is easy. The Slav javelinmen are the best option for dealing with the super powerful Cuman Heavies, and arbalesters, although historically completely inaccurate, also help a great deal. It usually takes one unsuccessfull attack by the Cumans to drain their armies and leave Moldova and Wallachia as easy pickings, and possibly even Levidia. These provinces with rivers help later when the Mongols come and head straight for your lands. Wallachia also has a nice unit - the Wallachian Mercenary Cavalry, which is perhaps the best light cavalry available to the Bulgarians in the game.
    By this time the Hungarians are usually in a war with the Serbs and the HRE, so they are relatively easy to defeat, and the Byzantines are being destroyed by the Seljuks, who on their turn have big problems with the Mameluks. I usually go in both directions - South to the rich trading provinces of the Middle East, preventing the Mameluks from getting them all, and North for the iron rich Hungarian provinces. I usually try to leave the Byzantines isolated with plenty of heirs and no money on Rhodes, as you always need a trading partner later on when everyone is in war with you.
    The only problem left is the Horde, but the Bulgarians have all sorts of units to deal with it easiliy - halberdiers, Slav javelinmen, arbalesters and Latin Auxiliaries. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the latter, but you can train them in Greece, Constantinople and Armenia, and perhaps even Nicaea with a master spearmen and an inn, and they make excellent spearmen.
    Once the Horde's armies are decimated and it is no longer a threat, and you control an Empire from Egypt to Bohemia, the game becomes easy and a bit boring. I try to get to Muscovy for the Steppe Heavies (for some reason, and although it is not quite historically accurate, the Bulgarians have been deprived of decent heavy cavalry at the expense of fantasy units such as the arbalesters and pikemen), and watch out for any rising powers in the West, such as the Almohads, the Castille-Leonese or the English for example. I also find it funny to stop Crusades and provoke the Pope into summoning the Catholics against me - luckily a really big Crusade can create a nice battle, to give me something interesting during these boring turns until the end of the campaign, when my lead in GA points is huge and I am only a few provinces away from a minor victory. The only real challenge is if the English or the Castille-Leonese build a huge navy and harass me with their ships in North Africa and the Iberian.