Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: New factions?

Default Re: New factions?

first, i would like to see Numidia. it was one of the key players in Punic wars. and certainly if we have Iberians as a faction we should have Numidians who imo were of more importance.
    second, Galatia. beside historical reasons it'd put some preasure on AS's presence in Anatolia and will help little kingdoms such as Pontus, Armenia, Pahlava, by redirecting some of this beast's attention.

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

More important? Come on, dude. I'm as much for the inclusion of a Numidian tribe as anyone, but it didnt take the Romans decades to conquer Jugurtha as it did with "the Iberians". Lets not get into trying to say one faction is "more important" than another.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

My Guesses for EB2

Erain
    Lugii
    Bosphoran Kingdom
    Cyrene
    Syracuse
    Galatia
    Khwarizm
    Massilia
    Pergamum
    Palmyra

I would really like Rhodos. Doubt it will will happen though. Feel free to tell me if i'm way off.

Well, we can't have Rhodes as an island by itself since it is already a memeber of the Koinon Hellenon.

I'd like to see a turkic tribe or two!
    Last edited by Brynjolfr; 07-29-2007 at 01:55.

Proto-Turks in 270BC? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Turks too, but maybe during a different timeline... Turks hardly show themselves from beyond Central Asia/Mongolia before the Yueh-chi or Hsiung-Nu, and the Yueh-chi are already decidely too late for the EB time period, nonetheless the many other cool steppe cultures.

Unless you mean Tocharians? Their culture was quite a mix, but if anything more Indo-European (ruling class/ language) rather than Turkic, although I'm sure Proto-Turks were present to a greater or lesser degree.
    Last edited by blitzkrieg80; 07-29-2007 at 03:17.
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

what about Aitolia?

They never really did much besides cause trouble. Plus, they're sandwiched between Epeiros, Makedonia, and KH. They wouldn't do much in game besides get killed - something which can be easily represented by the eleutheroi.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

lol good point I for one, am all for a Syracusai faction.

The Tocharians? I've read somewhere that they were closely related to the celts...
    I'd like to see more barbarian factions, I mean it's "Europa Barbarorum", not "Asia Graecorum". But I'll be fine with whatever the EB-team decides is historically appropriate. The Lugii would also be a good choice, with a mix of celtic and germanic units, but the EB starting date might be a bit too early for them - Stupid thing that there aren't more sources on european peoples at that time..
    I wish I knew the faction list for EB2 - must be quite difficult to decide between historical evidence and gameplay compability...
    Last edited by burn_again; 07-29-2007 at 06:10.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg80
    Proto-Turks in 270BC? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Turks too, but maybe during a different timeline... Turks hardly show themselves from beyond Central Asia/Mongolia before the Yueh-chi or Hsiung-Nu, and the Yueh-chi are already decidely too late for the EB time period, nonetheless the many other cool steppe cultures.

Unless you mean Tocharians? Their culture was quite a mix, but if anything more Indo-European (ruling class/ language) rather than Turkic, although I'm sure Proto-Turks were present to a greater or lesser degree.

Oh, I see... but what about baltic tribes? The baltic area feels very empty in EB.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: New factions?

Quote Originally Posted by Brynjolfr
    Oh, I see... but what about baltic tribes? The baltic area feels very empty in EB.
    There are two major problems with including a Baltic tribe as a faction:
    1) Very little is known about them
    2) What is known suggest that there was nothing close to a large, unified power like the Suebi (Sweboz) conferderation. Although it is not inconceivable that a Baltic tribe might have grown big, they doen't seem to have had the potential for large-scale expansion and empire-building. As it is, there are far more likely candidates that haven't been included in EB. I admit the area is a bit bare, though. Would the Bastarnoz or the remaining Scythians qualify as a faction?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

*Calls to fellow EB members*... some of the EB players do have a knack for recounting our internals polls, now don't they?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    More important? Come on, dude. I'm as much for the inclusion of a Numidian tribe as anyone, but it didnt take the Romans decades to conquer Jugurtha as it did with "the Iberians". Lets not get into trying to say one faction is "more important" than another.
    perhaps i shouldnt have used a word as this. i still think however, that Numidians played a bigger role not only on a local but also on international scale. if it wasnt for Numidia would Carthage be destroyed at all?
    pardon me though if word 'important' sounds inappropriate in such a delicate business as this. it meant no harm.

I'd rather see the current factions improved but another Iberian group , the Goildics , the Aorsi , Nubia , and the Garamantes or Numidia , one of the two.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Why not add a Slavic faction?
    There's a free space west of Sarmatians, exactly where the old Slavs lived - today's east Poland, western Ukraine and parts of Belarus

The problem I think with the Slavs is that almost nothing is known about them. If I could add another ten factions to EB, they would be:

1. Pergamon
    2. Syrakousai
    3. Nabataia
    4. Numidia
    5. Another Iberian tribe (I don't know their names, sorry!)
    6. Belgae
    7. Bastarnoz
    8. Another Germanic tribe (Hattoz? Heruskoz? Maybe even the Helvetii? I don't know which would be best)
    9. An Illyrian faction of some sort (the Ardiaioi?)
    10. The Thracian Odrysai might be quite interesting...

Well blitz, arguing the Teutonii being celtic is rather the minority of historical researchers.
    The majority, as Frostwulf alrready mentioned, definately see them as germanic along the Cimbri and Ambroni.

I fear you going to include the Lugians as half celtic and half germanic.
    Would not be my choice, but...
    Any news on wolf and bear-warriors b.t.w.?
    At least for EB2?

would the nubians be able to fit entirely in the EB
    map?

Personally, don't know about Goidils.

My two choices? Well, I'll start with my second favorite: Pergamum. They were considered one of the 'true' successor states of Alexander, at least how I was taught for my classics degree. So I think they're significance should warrant a faction slot in EB2.

As for the other faction, I believe no explanation is necessary.

We need Bartix.

EB Unit Dictator/Administrator Member Urnamma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaFe
    Well blitz, arguing the Teutonii being celtic is rather the minority of historical researchers.
    The majority, as Frostwulf alrready mentioned, definately see them as germanic along the Cimbri and Ambroni.

I fear you going to include the Lugians as half celtic and half germanic.
    Would not be my choice, but...
    Any news on wolf and bear-warriors b.t.w.?
    At least for EB2?
    Probably in EB1. Oops, you didn't hear that from me ;)
    'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.'
    ~Voltaire
    'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. ' - Soren Kierkegaard
    “A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.” - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

EB Unit Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by KARTLOS
    would the nubians be able to fit entirely in the EB
    map?
    any thought on the nubians guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    Regarding pronounciation, how can some scholars say that our people (Romanians) have close to nothing in common with the Romans when I can understand the Italian language on TV and I can communicate with an Italian person without proper knowledge of the language just because of the many similar words in our languages. I've read about so many people (historians) judging our Latin heritage and it's really a bummer that the gypsies call themselves Rroma (so similar to Romanians) and the majority of EU and especially the people in UK think that we are all gypsies, (perhaps offtopic but just wanted to get this of my chest), I really think most people here know better and I'm not a racist but the gypsies have really given us Romanians a bad reputation throughout Europe (that's the thanks we get for allowing them to settle in our lands)
    arent you all gypsies?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_Ghost
    I still think it would be great to add an Indian faction.

A justification is that in the campaign conquering India doesn't seem to be a stupendous feat for either Selukeia or Baktria. I mean, come on!All I need to do is deploy 2 levy phalangites at the gates and poke 000s of lousy naked Indians to death! If historically that is all I need to do, then Alexandros with his full arsenal of veteran Agyraspidai and Hetairoi would have expanded all the way to Indonesia and China!

Speaking about Indians, shouldn't there be elite units such as cataphracts and Ksatria warriors?What, don't tell me that the Indians have even less supply of iron than the Swebos! I have seen pictures of Indians in chain mail armor, riding horses clad in cataphract armor (correct me if I am wrong here).

If the EB team couldn't add more Indian provinces, then fine. They can just set Patala/Taksashila as the capital of Maurya Kingdome (or whatever else Indian kingdom). Then they can justify that the other Indian kingdoms to the east gave too high a resistance to capture.
    ive never heard of indian cataphracts, do you have any links/pictures?

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The Nubians weren't too strong at this time period. They wouldn't be able to do much but put forth a futile effort against Ptolemai and get conquered. Plus they didn't have a huge selection of variety in their military. They would have like 5 different units. And yes, they would have been interested in areas outside the current map.

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Will there at least be some more Nubian/Ethiopian units Like Nubian Archers? And Herodotus mentions some clubmen serving in Xerxes armies alongside the Archers and Spearmen.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

It comes down to priorities. New units for the new factions are much more important than one area of the map with all of two provinces. If there is room for them then great. If not...

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: New factions?

Quote Originally Posted by KARTLOS
    arent you all gypsies?
    No. Most Romanians I know get furious when you call them gypsies. There is a lot of bad blood between them.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

I think Karltos was joking there but I wouldn't really call it bad blood but I'd wish they'd keep migrating and they do love the great western capitals but they get sent back because of citizenship . It's just these remnants of nomadic culture that are annoying like no respect for education (they don't send their kids to school after they are 14 years old, the bad taste in architecture etc.)

I also think it was meant to be a joke, but it was tasteless.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast