Thread: What about castles?

Default What about castles?

in this time, castles didn't exist, so are there going to be any castles or will there be just cities?

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Default Re: What about castles?

there were very elaborate fortresses which may be used as castles. they could also represent the more involved oppida, etc. its still under alot of internal discussion to use permanent forts or castles for this. one idea is to use permanent forts as minor cities in a province.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    there were very elaborate fortresses which may be used as castles. they could also represent the more involved oppida, etc. its still under alot of internal discussion to use permanent forts or castles for this. one idea is to use permanent forts as minor cities in a province.
    This idea of a more involved oppia is intriguing to me. Is it something that appears on the campaign map also?

i was wondering about this.

i presume you wil be using the cities - as i have hear discussions regarding the fre upkeep units being used.

as for the castles- i was wondering if you could use them for something slightly different = like non city.

if you can change their name from castle and remove the walls, they perhaps could make a good starting point to representiong nomad government, simply by their non-cityness. i just thought that the fact that they have less trade, and no fre-upkeep units might be useful in this respect.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

That sound like a really good idea, KARTLOS
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

i think the fact that they have an inherently differnt recruitment set up to cities, would also be helpful in representing the differnec between urban regions and nomads.

Great idea KARTLOS However I think some factions like Rome , hellens and other civilized and barbarian factions should just have access to Cities and on the other hand nomadic factions could only have access to "nomadic noncities(Castles)" and can't build city (Though they can take other faction's cities !). However one faction can use both and that's "Pahlava". I think the system will work prefectly for them

Forgotten Empire

yes sounds good in theory. i am not sure if there is any where to "block" a faction from building cities or castles, but with the city only factions if you didnt give them and castle related buildings then there would never be any incentive to switch to castles.

the crucial factor for this idea is whether it would be possible to completely remove the walls of castles?

i should add, that i dont think the ai will ever switch between city and castle, so i dont think that will cause problems.

Well, in Kingdoms, the Teutonic Order will only be able to build castles, so 50% of this system is guaranteed to work if EB2 uses Kingdoms - and I would imagine that blocking castle-building would be even easier, although I can't vouch for that.

EB Unit Dictator/Administrator Member Urnamma's Avatar

There were fortresses much larger and more elaborate than medieval castles... so I can see using it for that. But Kartlos' idea is worth testing :-) (good idea, man)
    'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.'
    ~Voltaire
    'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. ' - Soren Kierkegaard
    “A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.” - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

EB Unit Coordinator

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

I don't think there's anything stopping us from having the castle/city dichotomy meaning different things for different cultures. We'll have to discuss it further later.
    Last edited by BozosLiveHere; 08-24-2007 at 01:22.