Thread: Really Great Ideo to Solve Faction No. Problem

Default Really Great Ideo to Solve Faction No. Problem

Having played EB mod, I can first see that the guys at CA don’t have a clue...

… secondly I really liked the mod, it gave RTW more replay and lasting value that the first time I played it, but it does have its flaws.

I’m not being overly judgmental or trying to criticize, I just want to voice some opinions/suggestions about EB1 EB2 and M2TW modes in development, to help produce a better product.

***[First thing the CA has not done is made trees transparent around the area where your troops reside]***
    - I’ve suggested this feature many times

HOWEVER FIRST I WISH TO SHARE TO YOU MY INCREDIBLE IDEA TO SOLVE THE FACTION LIST DEBATE. =FOR EB2 USING M2TW ENGINE=.
    *Note I have no programming experience so this might not be completely possible

Have plenty of small [specialized] factions such as various Gallic and Greek factions suggested in below threads, that do not expand (except perhaps one or two provinces)
    BUT
    These factions will be unplayable or playable depending on the circumstances.
    They will complement the main Factions and hold or recruit specialized units for the main Faction.
    For Example:
    Germans. The main faction [playable] is the Cimbri. The additional [unplayable / complementing] factions such as Teutons will have same tech tree and some existing units…
    BUT
    Will contain some other special infantry and cavalry the Cimbri had in EB1.
    For the Cimbri to obtain these units (THEIR FULL UNIT ROSTER) they must conquer these complementing factions. Then these units are unlocked or available in the province in question.

Same goes for Carthage. They have to contend with [Unplayable] Iberian faction before being allowed to incorporate them into your Unit Roster.

Rome: Conquer Italy (Italian states Factions + Italian Gaul Faction) Before unlocking more units.

I AM OF COURSE ASSUMING THAT TO OVERCOME THE GAMES UNIT LIMIT YOU CAN ADD/SUBTRACT UNITS FROM THE OVERALL ROSTER IN GAME [THROUGH SCRIPTED EVENTS – LIKE FALL OF SELUKIDS]

***NOTE ARMOUR UPGRADES***
    Could incorporate this by presence of IRON ORE in certain provinces where wealth, hence wealthy people reside. And make available in others through trade. – just a thought

Also limit number of upgrades if any to certain units (barbarian units)

Unit evolution:
    Over time, through controlling faction (general category – barb v hellen), units could be upgraded by [if possible] an in game skin or attributes change. This could cut down on the light to heavy spectrum with hoplites and spearmen. (Once again assuming game engines unit roster can be changed in game)
    FOR EXAMPLY:
    If any wealthy or civilized faction holds Barbarian settlement for a while, the local units simply put on some armor/helmets and at least look different.

+Also trying adding a few special units that come and go from selected towns (Numidian Lancers) restricted by the ‘Agent limit’ in the M2TW engine. [i.e. Pontine soldiers recruited from Scythia]

Default Re: Really Great Ideo to Solve Faction No. Problem

You do not understand the nature of the limits.

For factions, the limit is not on the playable factions. The limit is on factions. This limit is somewhat extended in MTW2 compared to RTW, which is why we have the discussion of which new factions to add. Your suggestion would not solve this problem, it would simply reduce the number of playable factions. We want all the factions to be playable.

You can add or remove units from the available recruitment according to events, however it will not make any difference toward the game's unit limit. You can have 500 units defined, in total for the entire scope of the game.

You express an idea that the "barbarians" were incapable of creating armour (limiting upgrades and having wealthy/civilized occupation enhance it). This is not the case, and portraying all factions as correctly as possible is an important part of what we are trying to do.

We are probably going to use armour upgrades for certain unis which we currently have to spend several unit slots for. The nature of armour upgrades isn't entirely clear, however (bronze upgrade seems to equal 4 armour, silver 7 etc), and we'll need to test their effects.

I'm not sure if you can use the agent limit for military units, but my inclination is to believe it is not possible, given the other hardcoding in the game. We will rather try to limit the number of elite troops by reducing their replenishment rate.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    You do not understand the nature of the limits.

I'm not sure if you can use the agent limit for military units, but my inclination is to believe it is not possible, given the other hardcoding in the game. We will rather try to limit the number of elite troops by reducing their replenishment rate.
    Agent limit replenishment rate = same results

Note: I'm not a programmer (State above), I was just assuming some simple coding possibilities using what appeared to be possible modifications, to solve a simple dilemma.

I was trying to correct your misplaced assumptions arising from that you are not a programmer.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking