Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Americas Campaign: Apache

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Default Re: Americas Campaign: Apache

Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg
    They cause fear no matter if they're in combat. I keep them behind my lines as a back up force to rush in, when needed. But once more advanced troops came, I didn't think they where worth it. A full unit of braves or dog boys are better, and have cheaper upkeep.
    So there's no difference to enemy morale if the Medicine men are chanting or not ?
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

ok, just wondering how to get mounted thunderbraves. i already have both horses and thunderbraves and have had them for awhile now. do i have to keep fighting the europeans? the spanish were destroyed around turn 20, guess someone killed all their warleaders. i fought the french and got the units, now they're gone too. that leaves the english who i can't find. i guess they're in cuba where i can't get to them. i really want to try the mounted thunder units out. would suck to have to start over when i almost have 30 regions.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

I got them after winning three battles against the French. You have to kill/capture lots of musketeers and conquistadores. After two battles I could train mounted braves and thunder braves and after the third battle I was able to train mounted thunder braves. The French land 10 stacks in North America. Use them to get the new units. The English land in Honduras (right lower corner) to annoy the Mayans and the Spanish.
    Tosa Inu

darnit. so i guessi'm gonna have to start the campaign all over again after getting so far. i wish there was some way i could just unlock the units. like editing the save file or something. oh well.

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

My biggest problem is that I have a serious shortage of relos (7 for 16 provinces), due mostly to natural disasters, as my family members seem to react badly if they come into contact with water.... eg 5% of the troops died, but my family member, scout, emissary and assassin all croaked it due to a flood. This has led to lots of captain stacks, which keep going rebel....

I guess they have a valid reason for not washing very often.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Man those Aztecs are tough...
    I find that the AI seems to only concentrate on one unit at a time if your army is small enough. You can inflict some serious damage if your 'runner' is fast enough.

On a side note, I really didnt have that much trouble with the Tarascans. Those 12,000 florins a turn didnt seem to even phase the Aztecs...now my only problem is that the Aztecs are knocking on my doorstep with about twenty full stacks and my friendly Chichimec and Mayan neighbors, although they've broken their alliances with the Aztecs, are not being overly helpful, even though they've got a ton of units hanging around the middle of their territory.

I've got me some horseboys now though, so we'll see about turning the tide, eh?
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath
    Man those Aztecs are tough...
    I find that the AI seems to only concentrate on one unit at a time if your army is small enough. You can inflict some serious damage if your 'runner' is fast enough.

On a side note, I really didnt have that much trouble with the Tarascans. Those 12,000 florins a turn didnt seem to even phase the Aztecs...now my only problem is that the Aztecs are knocking on my doorstep with about twenty full stacks and my friendly Chichimec and Mayan neighbors, although they've broken their alliances with the Aztecs, are not being overly helpful, even though they've got a ton of units hanging around the middle of their territory.

I've got me some horseboys now though, so we'll see about turning the tide, eh?
    The Aztecs are very tough. But I broke them by attrition. I often lost but since I had more stacks I still won in the end. I used plenty of ranged weapons. I tried to fight them when I had the advantage of terrain. The new aggressive defender attitude you can really play to your advantage. Hit and run doesn't really work since Aztecs are not only tough they're also "very good stamina" and "Excellent moral". Apache horses are not good at fighting, not even hit and run, or charge in the back. I used them to pepper approaching Aztecs to lower their moral, and use them to split their forces to make them more manageable when they reach my main force.

You can also use hit and run on their cities. They need pretty advanced buildings to build any troops of value, so once you take their city, you'll demolish all those buildings, making it harder for him to recruit the hard boys.

When I first attacked them I started by recruiting from my whole kingdom, and by the time my rear cities troops had reached my front my army was huge. It took a while, but I really needed it.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Warrior on the edge of time Member kitbogha's Avatar

Hi all!
    Just joined the site and have been enjoying all the posts on this thread in particular, as I am playing the Apache campaign. It's a great campaign and having been playing Total War for years is maybe my fave yet.
    I am on around turn 80 and have finally crushed those pesky Tarascans. I am pondering my next move, which is likely to be against the Chichimec, who , although nominally my allies are getting less friendly due to the high handed way I have been moving armies through their lands to take on our mutual enemies. That's gratitude for you!! I have saved thier bacon a few times. Now it seems a pre-emptive strike may be in order...
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Winston Churchill.
    "It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.”
    Genghis Khan

I'll make sure to try that, Zoidburg.
    I'm glad the Chichimecs are still around though. Theyre forcing the Aztecs into a single front, since its impossible to move through their territory due to the MASSIVE FREAKING ARMY forming a human wall between my western territories and them :P
    So...time to start the Bravespam!
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

I'll make sure to try that, Zoidburg.
    I'm glad the Chichimecs are still around though. Theyre forcing the Aztecs into a single front, since its impossible to move through their territory due to the MASSIVE FREAKING ARMY forming a human wall between my western territories and them :P
    So...time to start the Bravespam!
    The Chichimecs are very handy to keep around as long as they prove useful, let the Aztecs blunt their resources on them and then mop up what's left.

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." Winston Churchill
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates VI
    Also, he's said that Apache Braves are the key unit for victory. I'll be trying it out later, so I'll be sure to let you all know.
    Apache Braves? I have found them to be pretty poor, especially as the game progresses, I have been using them primarily as cheap garrison troops-on the other hand Mounted Thunder Braves are the Daddy!!!
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

a good stack to use is all mounted thunder braves. divide it into 2 parts. one part leads the enemy around while the other attacks teh rear and flanks. once you're low on ammo just have a few hit the rear of isolated units until you either win or atleast really decimate the stack. in this way you should be either able to totally destroy the army or atleast destroy more than half and leave the rest depleted. then with the second stack of braves, koitsenkos and thunder braves that you should have nearby, hit them on the same turn and put a row of brave, then a row of koitsenkos which can hold their own pretty well in melee, too. then place about 4 or so thunderbraves either behind them higher up if there's a hill or to one side so they have a clear line of fire. this formation works great on half stacks and even 2/3 stacks. it can still dish out alot of damage on a full stack unless there's a good general.

forgot to add that i eliminated the taxcalans who annoyed the crap out of me with their fifty million stacks and infinite money, by sending in about 10 assassins and over about 20 turns killed all their leaders and generals. if you do this with a smaller faction before they get so big its alot easier, but somehow feels like cheating. it is a good option to get rid of an annoying opponent if you're tied up with another war elsewhere.

[QUOTE=fluffsuit]a good stack to use is all mounted thunder braves. divide it into 2 parts. one part leads the enemy around while the other attacks teh rear and flanks.

Yes, I have found that a good plan too. Also, if you place your infantry right back and up on high ground you can send mounted thunder braves and mounted apaches to harrass the enemies as they advance (remembering to switch the skirmish mode on for thunder braves!-the ammount of times I've been caught out by that one.... ).
    By the time they get to your lines you will have seriously messed with their morale and a well timed surprise attack from some scouts (who can conceal themselves virtually anywhere) causes a very pleasing domino effect of routing enemies who you can then mop up with ease using your cavalry who will have by then run out of missiles and can just run them down as they they try to escape.
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

Wouldnt you know it, the Chichimecs decided that it'd be a good time to betray our alliance and attack me. Meanwhile the French AI suddenly got really good and now I've got ten stacks of French moving rapidly westwards. Since I've got no more trade agreements I cant afford to keep unit production at the point where I can sustain armies against the Aztecs, who apparently found a new reserve of troops. somewhere.
    Well, this game's a bust.
    Next time I'm gonna get those Chichimec bastards while theyre helpless.

Apache Braves pwns. I put them as my line troops. And I have missles in the back. Basically whie they're marching toward my line, my missles would have been shooting at them none stop for a while. After they reach my line, a volley of javelines from Apache Braves sends them running most of the time.

Wouldnt you know it, the Chichimecs decided that it'd be a good time to betray our alliance and attack me. Meanwhile the French AI suddenly got really good and now I've got ten stacks of French moving rapidly westwards. .
    Those Chichimecs are scum, right enough. I am moving on and taking Tlaxcalan cities whilst keeping enough stacks around to discourage/deal with Chichimec betrayals-I was very surprised at how few warriors they have, amybe they are concentrating on attacks from the Mayans on their other front. Meanwhile, I am having some trouble with the accursed French, who are circling around Caddo Camp with seven stacks, but appear reluctant to attack the town. I fought two of their stacks with one of mine this morning and managed to destroy them both with around 50% losses on my side, so do not despair Sheogorath, perhaps you can turn the tide......
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by kitbogha
    Those Chichimecs are scum, right enough. I am moving on and taking Tlaxcalan cities whilst keeping enough stacks around to discourage/deal with Chichimec betrayals-I was very surprised at how few warriors they have, amybe they are concentrating on attacks from the Mayans on their other front. Meanwhile, I am having some trouble with the accursed French, who are circling around Caddo Camp with seven stacks, but appear reluctant to attack the town. I fought two of their stacks with one of mine this morning and managed to destroy them both with around 50% losses on my side, so do not despair Sheogorath, perhaps you can turn the tide......
    The Tlax and Thrax have both been wiped out in my campaign, the Tlax vanished around turn ten or so, and the Aztecs took all the Thrax's lands with a little help from me. I was kinda suprised considering how tough people said they were.
    But yeah, I've noticed that Apache units seem to be quite effective against the French, at least. I've seen a few Braves vs. Curassier battles where the Braves came out on top with minimal casualties somehow. Curious.

if the french arent being lead by a high trait general, then the apaches pretty much clean up. if there's not alot of calvary you can pretty much get by with braves and dog soldiers and not lose too many. i think its the spears that do it. even if you don't have alot of archers when they come into range of the spears it kills their moral. the musketeers stay away like you'd expect so if there are really only about 4 to 5 units of heavy infantry then you can out number them and use a couple of braves to hit their flanks and rear and then chase down the musketeers.

Even their heavy cavalry prove to be pretty ineffective against a well balanced Apache army, you can virtually see their morale dropping as they charge into the wall of musket fire , I have also concentrated on taking out the general, something I don't usually bother much about.
    Achieved victory last night on turn 104, following a decisive clash with the Tlaxcallans at their East coast city (name eludes me). Thought I'd tidy things up by rounding up the stray French stacks and putting them to the lance before moving on to start a campaign as the Chichimecs, who look like a decent proposition.
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

do the chichimecs get mounted thunderbraves? that would seem like over kill since they have even better infantry than the apaches. all it says in the description is that they can use their enemies technology. but yeah the only trouble i've had with the calvary is if i didn't have enough archer units to hit them at long range. if you have archers then by the time they get to the lines they've been hit with steady archer fire and then the braves so they usually break just before or just after hitting your lines. i usually assassinate the generals myself cuz i'm too lazy to chase em down.

The Chichimecs get a mounted lancer and a normal thunder brave but no mounted thunder brave
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse
    The Chichimecs get a mounted lancer and a normal thunder brave but no mounted thunder brave
    If they had mounted thunder braves they'd be almost unbeatable. Having finished my Apaches campaign I have just started a Chichimec one and even their starting units are very formidable indeed. Only on turn 15 and have taken seven settlements from rebels/Apaches. I would recommend the Chichimeca to anyone who is enjoying the Apache campaign.
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

Hi guys, thanks to people's advices here, I had a really fun time with Apache's vh/vh long campaign and finished it tonight on turn 71, never lost a battle. I love this faction and I recommand people to play this faction, one of the most fun and best faction compare to others, specially for those of you like me who are HA lovers. After I can recruit MTB it just become ownage in the game, didnt even need Onde's Man, just the MTB+Koistsenko combo can do the job, and ofcourse 3-4 shamen to chant behind Koist's line. I tried different combination, and think this worked the best for me.

In the begining I did have a little bit hard time, the faction below me Chichimic(sorry for the spell) had back stabed me around turn 20ish...so my move towards south got stoped and had to focus on east destroying French Army to hurry get MTB/TB and defend my south boarders with just Apache braves and dog soilders. You cant build road for this faction so the movement of the army is really slow, I depended truly on War Path, it is really useful, plus the experience your troops can gain.

Not much advices here since most of them been covered. It was kinda hard to defend the city since you cant build city walls, all your cities are Camps, like villiege. Put archer units on the little hills in the villige and braves block the paths, if they over powering, just withdraw them back to town center, braves do pretty good job of defending. Definitly make lots of archers in the south against the natives, no armour=archer's best meal, use TB/MTB vs Eroupeans. Try to move south as soon as you can after u can make better troops like MTB/Koist, before they can get mass stacks. In my game, the Mayans was the Empier of the South, and finished Spain early, and became a war lord with crazy stacks, but with my Koist/MTB combo, their heavy troops become like paper, and route crazy,I usually use 1 stack vs their 2-3 full stacks, sooo many freakin dead bodies on the ground and lags the hell outa my computer lol. A good tactic I used was sneak 3-4 MTB units towards top right in the begining, and charge the General's units, most of the time its like instan kill the bodyguard, cuz infantry runs so slow, as long as you have more range units then the enimie, they tend to come to you even when you are attacking, its a good adventage for me to place my troops on the right place.

I had to reload the save file because I killed the French leader right when they landed...it was a very hard battle too with lots death... forgot that will destroy their faction .....so becareful on that, if they dont spawn then its really hard to get horse/gun until late time if you are lucky to move south and meet Spain/England. Too bad that we can't make ships to travel across the ocean hehe. Good luck guys, thats about all.

The French come in 8 to 9 waves. Even if you kill the first wave they will keep respawning. Just kill enough musketeers and cavalry to get the MTBs
    Last edited by Monsieur Alphonse; 12-08-2007 at 05:02.
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse
    They French come in 8 to 9 waves. Even if you kill the first wave they will keep respawning. Just kill enough musketeers and cavalry to get the MTBs
    Oh really? Even if it said "French Faction destroyed" and the remaining army turned rebels...they will still continue to spawn? Hmmm I don't know man, I'm going to try that next time then.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigcow
    Oh really? Even if it said "French Faction destroyed" and the remaining army turned rebels...they will still continue to spawn? Hmmm I don't know man, I'm going to try that next time then.
    I think it's never ending. They just keep coming. But it's only the first two waves that are any fight. The rest of them are pathetic.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

You cant build road for this faction so the movement of the army is really slow, I depended truly on War Path, it is really useful, plus the experience your troops can gain.

The War Path is also highly useful when you come up against the Mayans, as I did late on when I had fulfilled the objectives and was just tidying up and bringing the whole map into my empire. I don't know how easy they are early on but they are very formidable opponents in the closing stages due to the sheer numbers of heavy infantry they bring to the party. I had several respectable looking and seemingly well balanced stacks wiped out by them. However, if you declare a War Path you can pick up lots of cannon fodder infantry and archers to rush them and hold them for your Thunder Braves and missile cavalry to unload on.
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

The bloody units which have very high morale and very high stats (the g-something Chichimec units in this case) are a damn pain. They caused me some problems if there more than a few of them per battle, and the numbers were even. They hack apart just about anything, even surrounded, and will usually do so until there are only 10 of them left.

I sent in some of my poor Koitsenkos after them to help several other units to finish them off, and they came off rather badly.

But other than that the Apache units are good, and I haven't even gotten Onde's Men and Mounted Thunder Braves yet, despite the 80+ battles and 20 provinces.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Aimless Wanderer,
    You will find dealing with the Chichimec heavy infantry much easier when you have Onde's Men, and the Mounted Thunder Braves are a joy to have too. As i am sure you know you must look for Colonial Oppressors (nearest are the French to the East) and taking several stacks of troops, fight around 5 battles against them-this should give you your upgrades.
    The infantry you currently have are very lightweight. When you are just dealing with rebels they are fine but anyone of substance will just scythe through them.......on the other hand Medecine men are pretty handy for keeping up you warriors morale when placed behind you lines and set to Chanting.
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast