Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines thread (Possible spoilers inside)

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Default Re: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines thread (Possible spoilers inside)

AUG!!!! You want to talk about beyond obnoxious. My game was corrupted! I couldn't pick up anything with the little hand symbo, or throw stuff around. No idea why, reloading/etc, nothing would work. I had to start over. I was right at the part where you have the move the wooden beam aside from the doors at the very end of the temple. Bah.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines thread (Possible spoilers inside)

One of my favorite parts of Vampires is the fortune teller on the beach.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Pay her and she tells you exactly how the game will play out. "You don't want to be there when Jack comes out of his box. What did I say? I don't know what I say."

Her line about it not mattering how the game turns out so long as you have paid for it was a hoot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    AUG!!!! You want to talk about beyond obnoxious. My game was corrupted! I couldn't pick up anything with the little hand symbo, or throw stuff around. No idea why, reloading/etc, nothing would work. I had to start over. I was right at the part where you have the move the wooden beam aside from the doors at the very end of the temple. Bah.
    You have hit the part where I had to do some funky stuff with the console.

These are the notes I have scribbled on a piece of paper inside my CD case:

To activate console with UK version, need to set upo properties to add "-console" to the exe line.

In the console type "noclip 1".

IIRC, what this does is allow you to walk through doors, walls etc. Basically, I could not open the doors, so I used the console to walk through them.

You will get more information if you need it at one of the Vampire Forums.

I've bookmarked this one:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetvampire/index.asp

Beware, it's full of spoilers though. (And some very interesting plot discussions once you have completed the game.)

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

The temple door works (needs reloading sometimes though), but they're very buggy and can demand a lot of attemts (and luck) to get open. that said, I don't know if it works with that bug of yours, but the temple beam isn't an object that you can lift, only push (and that should work automatically).

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    One of my favorite parts of Vampires is the fortune teller on the beach.

Pay her and she tells you exactly how the game will play out. "You don't want to be there when Jack comes out of his box. What did I say? I don't know what I say."

Her line about it not mattering how the game turns out so long as you have paid for it was a hoot too.
    Yeah the fortune teller is quite good, makes no sence the first time, but makes a lot of sence the second time through. I'm still wondering why she hangs out with thin-bloods, I mean she's obviously a Malkavian.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Hm yeah temple doors gave me trouble too. I just did everything mentioned in all tutorials, and eventually it worked. Might want to try a different save from slightly before as well...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Well this really stinks. I think I'm almost to the very end, so I'm going to stick with this game. I think that it was really, really corrupted. None of the pick-up (hand icon) stuff worked at all, and I think that I missed out on the vast majority of persuade/intimidate options that I was going for, because I went and found a good non-spoiler faq that outlined what a few of them were early on in the game and the requirements, and there were quite a few that should have been available to me given my char setup.

Here's where I stand, and some thoughts on the game and plot.

I'm going to kill Ming, so far am 3 levels deep into the temple. I chose to side with the Anarchs, because they seem to be closest to what I am trying to roll play with my char. I believe in order, but I think the overall Camarilla, Lacroix or no, is a bit too corrupt. The Anarchs are a bit overboard but they're not a bad crew. I didn't get the option to go with the chinese vamps, so I don't know if that's even possible, but I bet it is because Ming approached me in Downtown towards the end and from her dialogue and the options I had to respond, I think she was trying to "recruit" me. Didn'd take the bait though. I do NOT plan on opening the sarcophagus, even though it'd be cool to see what's inside. I don't know what else happens after I kill Ming, but my guess is I have to go after Lacroix too, given the conversation with Nines.

econ, I haven't clicked any of the spoilers so far, but I saw you commented on Rosa on the beach, the fortune teller. Of what she said, the things I recall are 1. she told me I could trust "guy on the sofa" and "lone wolf", whom I interpreted as Mercurio and Beckett. She also said "Don't open it!" or something like that, whick Beckett also advised, hence why I decided not to go that route.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Wow. I finished the game.

Uhm.. Did I survive? I dropped the key then walked out, and Lacroix picked it up and opened the casket. Jack's.. "surprise" was in there. It doesn't mention if I survived or not.

Also, who's the cabbie? He walks up at the end and looks all.. shimmering.

Edit - Cool. People seem to think the cabbie is Caine himself. Makes sense I guess.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Whacker, I think you can read our spoiler quotes now!

On the ending:

If you dropped the key, then you survived. If you went for the anarchs ending, wasn't there a scene where they greeted you afterwards? I may be confused, it has been a while.

BTW, I think Cain was also one of the Deb of Night's radiophone in callers.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Whacker, I think you can read our spoiler quotes now!

On the ending:

If you dropped the key, then you survived. If you went for the anarchs ending, wasn't there a scene where they greeted you afterwards? I may be confused, it has been a while.

BTW, I think Cain was also one of the Deb of Night's radiophone in callers.
    Huh? Andrei, that tzimisce is probably one of the callers, but that the cabby had done a call is news to me.

Yeah, you did survive Whacker, that one is almost identical to the loner ending, were you're clearly alive at the end.

As for the cabby being Caine, he's intended to be the pulp fiction suitcase for this game (from a dev interview), it's hinted that he is, but never said. I've seen an occationally mention of Jack traveling with a Malkavian that thinks he's Caine in those "Is the cabby Caine?" threads, but on the other hand it seems be oddly unknown (aka either made up, or the perfect cover to implement that part gamevise without breaking the lore).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Gorgeous game. The mods that come out really did do justice.

I'm also genuinely scared quite a few times playing this thing in the dark.

Ohmigod that haunted house was impressive. And the Tzimisce's monsters were gruesome. Everywhere! They're everywhere!

The Werewolf battle is probably the highlight. I was drinking elder blood a pack half a minute to make it to the observatory.

Here's hoping KOTOR2 would be improved in a similar way. Talk about unfinished that one. They kept adding companion after companion and none of them have any story to tell.

And the big team involved (Gizka, I think?) should've released a public beta for their mod long ago. I mean, come on. EB does it, right? Right!?

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Here's hoping KOTOR2 would be improved in a similar way. Talk about unfinished that one. They kept adding companion after companion and none of them have any story to tell.
    I think that's unfair - the companions in Kotor2 have more backstory and personality than 90% of the companions in other CRPGs.

To get the full background with some, you do need to have high influence with them - which does take a bit of work.

What I got from the characters:

Kreia - I am sure I don't need to argue this one. Perhaps the most unconventional but successfully done companion in a CRPG.

Atton - Jedi killer background has a big reveal in Na Shadaar; I loved the "Why does Atton play pazaak in his mind?" stuff.

Bao Dur - fills in a lot of background about your character and Malachor V, adding a lot of depth and mood to your character.

Visas - tells you a lot about "No face", I mean Darth Nihilus. If you do it right, you can squeeze everything out of a first, exhausting conversation but still a very nice NPC.

Handmaiden - tells you a lot about Atris and the "do not mate with the Echani/betrayal!" business from Kreia was fun.

Mandalore - has the whole "last of the Mandalorians" vibe going and was Canderous in kotor1, how cool is that?

Go-To - unfinished yes, but the whole "robot running the Exchange running the Republic" idea is rather interesting concept.

HK - never got the influence, but has some depth.

T3-M4 - ok, I'll give you that one.

Mira - also underdeveloped, but the Hanharr vendetta was fun, especially as you get to live it out in two parts of the plot.

You can't really compare the above with Bloodlines, as there are no recruitable NPCs in Bloodlines. But I think they hold up well with even the NPCs in Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2, which are about the apotheosis of party based CRPGs.

BTW, I hated the "tell me your story, a piece at a time, after I level up" idea of KOTOR and NWN. It forgot the basic rule of drama - show, don't tell. If they had added incidents during the story that unveiled the backstories, it would have been so much better. KOTOR did this a little, but not enough.

I'd echo econ's sentiments, the characters in KOTOR2 did actually have a good deal of depth to them, the game did a less than stellar (but still good) job of presenting them and their backgrounds.

Bloodlines had some decent depth of character too, but the game still felt like a wounded beast. Much more background on that flesh eating vamp would have been fantastic, and also on the thin-bloods. I guess there wasn't nearly as much 'lore' in the game as what I would have wanted, personally.

Also, re: KOTOR2's unfinished state. Given what I saw with that game's development and input from my game dev friends, it would seem one can probably lay the blame for the unfinished status of it on both Lucasarts and Obsidian. LA most likely did quite a bit of pushing towards the end, and Obsidian was a brand new software house at the time (albiet with some good talent) who should not have been saddled with such a lofty development task given their inexperienced status. The status of the game today and how it was rather quickly "abandoned" is further proof that the game should have been given to a much more experienced dev team. Ironically this appears to be the same situation with RTW and M2TW, with CA .uk and CA .au respectively.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Warning: Rants to follow.

Kreia - I am sure I don't need to argue this one. Perhaps the most unconventional but successfully done companion in a CRPG.

Atton - Jedi killer background has a big reveal in Na Shadaar; I loved the "Why does Atton play pazaak in his mind?" stuff.

Bao Dur - fills in a lot of background about your character and Malachor V, adding a lot of depth and mood to your character.

Visas - tells you a lot about "No face", I mean Darth Nihilus. If you do it right, you can squeeze everything out of a first, exhausting conversation but still a very nice NPC.

Handmaiden - tells you a lot about Atris and the "do not mate with the Echani/betrayal!" business from Kreia was fun.

Mandalore - has the whole "last of the Mandalorians" vibe going and was Canderous in kotor1, how cool is that?

Go-To - unfinished yes, but the whole "robot running the Exchange running the Republic" idea is rather interesting concept.

HK - never got the influence, but has some depth.

T3-M4 - ok, I'll give you that one.

Mira - also underdeveloped, but the Hanharr vendetta was fun, especially as you get to live it out in two parts of the plot.

You can't really compare the above with Bloodlines, as there are no recruitable NPCs in Bloodlines. But I think they hold up well with even the NPCs in Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2, which are about the apotheosis of party based CRPGs.

BTW, I hated the "tell me your story, a piece at a time, after I level up" idea of KOTOR and NWN. It forgot the basic rule of drama - show, don't tell. If they had added incidents during the story that unveiled the backstories, it would have been so much better. KOTOR did this a little, but not enough.

Kreia - I'll give you that one. I love her attitude. Was it jealousy? Was it manipulation? Was it genuine master's concern for her precious apprentice? She's the most developed of all the companions IMO.

The way to gain her influence is also interesting. I pissed her off quite a few times playing the Good Princess (I usually play a Good Prince type, but turns out female leads are often far more interesting...). Then I gained back her influence by some clever tricks she apparently liked.

Atton - That too. Some people say he's a "Han Solo clone" (yadda yadda) just with a rather...interesting...past. I don't find that distracting; besides it's cool to turn him into a Jedi himself!

But these two are met very early and represent I think most of the effort they put into the companions.

Bao-Dur - He's only there to fill in the blanks about your story, quite frankly. His problems are stated (he did some terrible stuff to Malachor V) but never really resolved. Just talked about it. Once. Then he had nothing else to say for the rest of the game. Literally!

Sad really. The old retainer-type character of his could have been so much more developed.

Visas - She just came, gave you information [I did like you, and got everything out of her in one conversation: I guess my high charisma characters are rather useful], then, like Bao-Dur, has nothing else to say for the rest of the game -- except for a brief period during the Darth Nihilus encounter.

Wasn't she supposed to be a romantic interest for a male main character anyway? Some quiet romantic interest that Miraluka girl.

Handmaiden - She's one of the more interesting NPCs IMO. I don't really have experience with Disciple so I can't say for sure that guy can compare.

Mandalore - It's cool to have good ol' Canderous back, but quite frankly he has much less to tell about himself this time around; his plans for a great Mandalorian recovery, why the hell is he wasting time with a jedi in Ebon Hawk when he has a people to rule over (I know he offered his help, but...), what's his war plans and how can I help him (like I said I would). Nothing.

He also suddenly became active during the Darth Nihilus arc and then lapse back to inactivity for the rest of the game.

It's like many of the other characters: one long conversation is sufficient to take everything out of them. That's not a good trait for a companion NPC.

G0-T0 - I don't like him. I wanted to blow up the bastard but apparently I can't. What the hell? He put a frickin' bounty on my head for Revan's sake! The Ebon Hawk can blow up for all I care! And that business with his betrayal in the end was never really finished.

HK-47 - He's very entertaining when he talks about his past (Mockery of Carth and Bastila anyone?) but that's all I can get out of him. Not nearly as awesome as his KOTOR 1 self. He just feels...evil...and that's it.

No Droid Factory, no vicious mass slaughter, no plot value (like he has in Tatooine in the first game), no tinkering with him to upgrade his capabilities. Just there.

T3-M4 - For a droid I actually think he's pretty well developed. Not much to tell (beep dreet and dwooo aren't exactly interesting things to read about) but he's active plot-wise throughout the game.

Mira - For her role in the plot it feels as if she should've been an important character, but once again she doesn't have much to tell either.

I guess my problem with companions in KOTOR2 is that there simply are too many of them in a game where you can take only two with you at any time, and that for most they just appear, tell their story, and then lapse into inactivity. These are supposed to be my companions after all. They should bash heads, fight, complain, argue with my actions, give advice, get plot developments, and still have something to say after I played through the fourth planet. They don't. They just sit around waiting to be picked as if I'm choosing which Mandalorian blaster to bring.

Well, Kreia does, and Atton, to an extent. But that's just about it.

They feel...incomplete. They have their personalities, their potentials, some are clichés and some aren't so much; but these personalities rarely change, rarely show up, or add anything to the game's plots. They're just too blank. People in BG2, in Planescape; heck, in KOTOR; don't feel like that.

[/Rant]
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 10-02-2007 at 21:52.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

So this game is fine, entertaining, at times scary, addictive and funny. I've been playing with the full unofficial patch and its designers seem to have done a good job. The interface becomes an annoyance once in a while, such as when your gun fires in the street because you clicked OK after assigning hotkeys, and you have to reload. But it's OK overall.

The humour is well done too.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

It's fun at times, found the ending rather anticlimactic though and quite a few things are a bit buggy, like the physics, played a female Toreador in the second go and those physically calculated clothes like to get stuck in really weird positions, right through her body etc.
    That you can sneak right in front of most guard's eyes with a sneaking skill of 4 or so was also rather...interesting.
    A good waste of time but I wasn't very impressed I must say.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    I've been playing with the full unofficial patch
    There's actually two unofficial patches. The "Unofficial Patch" and the "True Patch". The Unofficial Patch made by Wesp is more of mod than anything else. It changes around things and breaks some other things. The True Patch by Tessmage is a real patch in every sense of the word; it has nothing but bugfixes, and keeps the game the way Troika envisioned it.
    I've played with both, and I'm not liking the changes of the Unofficial Patch (Blood Buff gives only +1 instead of maxing out your physical stats).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire...ficial_Patches

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre

The humour is well done too.
    I take it you've played as Malkavian? If not, then do it. Good laughter there.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    That you can sneak right in front of most guard's eyes with a sneaking skill of 4 or so was also rather...interesting.
    I suspect they're buggy in that they don't seem to see you when you're right under thier feet as they're looking forward and not down.

I'm a male Toreador.

Completed the Santa Monica parkour along with the side quests!

I was expecting more than a pitch black screen from getting laid with the Bitch Queen.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

How does it compare to Redemption?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Redemption = Crappy Diablo reject.
    Bloodlines = Awesome FPS with true Vampire character sheets and stats.

There is no comparison.
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 03-25-2008 at 20:35.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I played through as a ventrue and then a tremere.

First time around, I found it very hard as a ventrue since I messed up my character development and missed alot of xp from quests completed in a different way. As a result, some areas were really frustrating. I remember just spending hours trying to get through the Society of Leopold.

Second time, I found out how imbalanced tremeres are. Their special discipline simply rock. Blood strike does a ton of damage and returns blood. Purge just basically means everyone arounds you stops doing things for 5-6 seconds. Shield + armor meant you literally would not take damage from maybe 40% of the enemies and boil is just sick.

Was going to play as malkavian for the interesting stuff, but I got bored of the game by then from playing it through twice in 2 weeks.

Greatest parts of the game: Haunted Hotel and Grout's Mansion (the recordings were fantastic) Worst part: the warrens on the way to the nosferatu hideout. Hated that part so much.

Regarding the cabdriver,
    if you look through the soundfiles, you'll find a folder marked caine. If you listen to the files, you'll see that those are the cabdriver files.
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 03-31-2008 at 20:17.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

All this talk has made me dust off the game and play it again.

I installed the "True Patch", i.e. the one that fixes bugs and adds some dialogue but doesn't mess with gameplay.

It's been interesting, I'd forgotten how fun the game was, despite a few graphical and game play hiccups. I've noticed some of the additions, but they seem to integrate well.

I've also made an effort to kill less kine this time around. I actually made it through the Museum and Traffik missions without killing anyone, which I thought beforehand was impossible without obfuscate. The extra experience for doing so was a nice bonus. Though I really hate those security cameras.

I wish there were more CRPGs out there like this one. I guess I'll have to wait for Mass Effect for the PC to come out in a couple of months.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Diablo huh? Interesting.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 03-31-2008 at 02:35.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

PLEASE!

The spoiler tags are there for a purpose!

Usage:
    Code:
    [spoil]In the end of the movie the good guy is killed[/spoil]

HELP PLEASE!!!
    So, have you guys ever come to duel with the Meng Xiao as a Torreador? It's impossible. She devours the flame thrower + blood buff like a sip of lemonade. Swallows all kinds of bullets like hazel nuts and if, by sheer luck, you manage to cut her a little bit with the Sabbat Katana she just becomes two to go dp on you.

Even worse, when I decide swapping my integrity with the next level the console renders the game inaccessible; I.E. you enter the code, close the console and you have nothing but a frozen picture and a useless mouse pointer.

Reaching down there cost me hours of gameplay and now I want to defeat the slimy either way. Please help!

Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 04-04-2008 at 08:14.

Mousse,
    There are many ways to defeat her, you can shoot all your ammo into her first(flamethrower aimed right does quite a bit of damage I think) then slice her up, only slice her up or take so much ammo that you never have to get close. What helped me the most though, was, as I said in the chat yesterday, celerity and a few blood packs. With celerity she will be quite slow which gives you more time to hack her and her offspring into pieces.
    Now if you don't have celerity, I suggest having fast reactions of your own.

Well, you can try running from one side of the room to the other while shooting at her from a distance, maybe you want to kill her offspring early as well because if you have two big things hacking away at you, doing lots of damage, you won't have any peaceful moments to hack at her with a katana, well, you would with celerity as they'd both be very slow...

To get out of the console without freezing the game, enter "chareditor" into the console, which takes you to your character screen. You can then close the character screen and go on playing. Apparently it helps to open the console from the menu as well.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

One word: Presence. You'll be able to shrug off a LOT of damage with max Presence.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

I hated that about the game. First half, fine - I created a very persuasive, stealthy Toreador. Then the second half... it's almost all combat, and earlier skills for which the first half offered room become all but useless. Some ridiculous fights, enemies who are almost completely immune to stealth, and no use for persuasion. Made my character useless towards the end, and I did end up cheating against Ming.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    One word: Presence. You'll be able to shrug off a LOT of damage with max Presence.
    While I agree, isn't that particular boss immune to presence? (and as presence is weakening the opponent and not strengthing you, it's pretty useless in those cases)

Husar's tips with celerity+auspex should do the trick. And use blood bags, it's an end-boss, they're supposed to be mean and you don't really gain anything on having plenty of bloodbags after finishing the game.

Auspex gives extra damage protection and ranged weapon bonus. It's one of the bosses I prefer ranged damage on, but remember to get the upgraded shotgun and/magnum on fully automatic/fan mode. You need to reload a lot, but the damage burst is worth it.

Depending on play it's not "the" endboss,so you might wanna keep some blood bags or buy some new ones after this fight. That boss is imo slightly easier though, so you shouldn't need much bloodbags there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast