Thread: "2 Weapons per unit limitation" should be removed !

Post "2 Weapons per unit limitation" should be removed !

Hi EB team and EB fans;
    I brought "Kingdoms" expansion for M2TW a few days ago. I especially did that ,Because I was curious about the possible enhancements over the first game and to discover its ptentials for mods like EB. One thing I especially hope for was the removal of "Max. 2 weapons for each units" limitation. But unfortunarely I haven't found any unit carries more than 2 weapons
    It's just sad because from the very first ROME total war to latest Medieval2 ,This was one the modding community demands and CA still disregard it

You know well the importance of removing this restriction (2 weapons limit per unit) ,For example in EB there are considerable amount of Roman ,Greek and nomad units which carry/use more than 2 weapons. Things gerring more important when you're going to import for instance "Pahlava Armored horse archers" ! Because at least those who have played M2TW enough know well that when Cavalry charges with lance ,After the initial charge has finished ,the unit automatically switch to second weapon (Mace or sword) and continue on his melee combat. Now what a unit of armored horse archers should do after the initial charge ,Switch to bow???

I think now that many mods (If not all) are at the beginnig of their project ,Perhaps it is better with coordination of other teams ask CA to make a kind of patch in order to remove this restriction.Imo CA owe you(Modding teams) so much And if you ask it together ,I'm sure they will do this for you I think this shall be done with the leadership of EB ,Because EB is the best mod ever made for any of Total war games. And I heared that even CA staffs play EB and enjoy it so much

This is just a suggestion ,And I hope you will see it doable

With Regard

Forgotten Empire

Default Re: "2 Weapons per unit limitation" should be removed !

No I doubt, it would require a huge amount of changes to do.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Good god man, modding to make it more than 2 weapons? That's like asking me to eat 20 hotdogs in under 1 minute! I would explode.

Quote Originally Posted by MRY6
    Good god man, modding to make it more than 2 weapons? That's like asking me to eat 20 hotdogs in under 1 minute! I would explode.
    I didn't said it should be modded. I said the nobles of the community :smily: should together ask CA to make a patch for M2TW to make it more than 2 weapons. Surely it is not possible to mod it ,Because it is hardcoded !
    Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    No I doubt, it would require a huge amount of changes to do.
    I don't think so mate. CA easily makes patches for each versions of its games. Making a patch to just cahnge such a little thing should not be that difficult and time consuming for them !

Forgotten Empire

do troops from then actuely carried more than 2 weapons? other than the dagger roman had...

Yes, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, much so.

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz
    I don't think so mate. CA easily makes patches for each versions of its games. Making a patch to just cahnge such a little thing should not be that difficult and time consuming for them !
    I'm not saying they don't make patches, I'm saying that it would require a very big change in the coded architecture of the game. From what little I know of coding, I imagine that its quite deeply imbedded, not to mention the fact that so many things would need to change. I mean, how would the AI deal with this?

No, I have no doubt that such a thing would not be changed for this engine.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

OK Foot ,Thanks for response :)
    I didn't think about the AI side of the matter. Yes it would be time consuming ! But I'm wondering why CA didn't implemented this feature for M2TW? Maybe they less care about the quality of the game and just looking for quick-more profit these days ... Perhaps !

Again I really worry about Armored horse achers Like Partho/Armenian ones in EB2? Have you found any solution for them?

Thanks again
    Last edited by kambiz; 09-21-2007 at 00:15.

Forgotten Empire

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz
    OK Foot ,Thanks for response :)
    I didn't think about the AI side of the matter. Yes it would be time consuming ! But I'm wondering why CA didn't implemented this feature for M2TW? Maybe they less care about the quality of the game and just looking for quick-more profit these days ... Perhaps !
    I imagine they didn't have any reason to give units three weapons, and there is no reason to put a lot of work in to coding it just for a small group of modders.

Again I really worry about Armored horse achers Like Partho/Armenian ones in EB2? Have you found any solution for them?

Thanks again
    Except what we already have, nope. But then you shouldn't really be using any cav unit in melee for long periods of time so its not too bad.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Seeing how carrying three weapons (spear, sword/axe, dagger) is somewhat historical, CA won't do it hehe

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

They aren't even working on the M2:TW engine anymore. Like Foot said, it would probaby require a lot of work to change something like this.

You could always go start a thread in the Empires sub-forum. CA devs go in there on occasion.

It's early enough that they might listen.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Honestly from a programming perspective using OO programming it would not in reality be all that difficult. Maybe a little bit annoying but nothing more.
    I'm Batman!

How would the AI cope with it? And how would it affect the interface? It's not simply to add another slot in the array of weapons, I'm sure. Not to mention, how many customers would be willing to pay for the game with that feature, that wouldn't do so without?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: "2 Weapons per unit limitation" should be removed !

Every fan of every remotely historical mod?
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Guys--

I am positive that I saw posted somewhere a way to give uinits in MTW2 three weapons. There is even a unit editor that has a field for stats for the 3rd weapon...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Only works with artillery, and can only be a special ammo type(it's sued for the cow carcasses the trebuchets throw).

I could have sworn that I saw a tutorial that showed how to add a 3rd weapon to an infantry unit...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Nope, no way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharnakes
    So you mean every fan of every remotely historical mod will boycott the next TW if they don't implement having more than two weapons? I think you are mistaken.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: "2 Weapons per unit limitation" should be removed !

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Not to mention, how many customers would be willing to pay for the game with that feature, that wouldn't do so without?
    I think I only read the first half of that sentence.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

How would the AI cope with it?
    As 3 or more than 2 weapons just affect the Battles ,I think you mean that AI doesn't know how to work with more than two weapons ,right? Well a solution can be avoiding or restricting AI to only first two weapons and let only human player to use extra available weapons. Although it does need some coding stuffs to make sure AI would only use primary and secondary weapons ,but still far more easier to do and no need to hundreds of lines writing/modifying lines of codes
    And how would it affect the interface?
    Well ,I have no idea for this one. But in TW series we hold Alt key in order to use secondary weapons. CA can assign another key for activating the 3rd weapon

Forgotten Empire

EB2 Baseless Conjecturer Member blacksnail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharnakes
    All 30 of us?