Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick update (Updated July 28th!)

Default Quick update (Updated July 28th!)

Because I haven't been working on a single faction, I thought I'd post a quick preview of some of the new textures I've been doing, as well as a very intriguing discovery.

First of all, I'm redoing the barbarian units. Though the Cimmerians will just have a few tweaks, mostly new faces and a few extra baubles, the AEsir/Vanir didn't really come across as the "Vikings from Hell" I was looking for. I've also refined a few of the other units I thought were lacking, and given some factions some new units too.

Reskinned units:

Oxmen
    The Nordic axemen look a bit more muscular and heroic with bare chests: not entirely comfortable in winter, but these are tough men, a little chill won't kill them.

Rhyfelwyr Spearmen (Brythunia)
    I made the armour more "celtic" looking, especially the helms, and gave them more muted plaid.

Campwyru Champions (Brythunia)
    I decided to make the Campwyru a bit more interesting, so I gave them greatswords instead of the sword/shield combo, just so Brythunia can get a cool two-hander unit.

New Units:

Geirmen
    Basic Nordheim spear unit, with padded armour and kite shield.

Ðigriøxmen
    Nordic axemen, cheaper and more numerous than Huscarls and Jarls, but not quite as heavily armoured.

Border Reivers
    The finest light cavalry of the Hyborian Age, can be armoured up to heavy mail and armed with a small crossbow.

Mounted Peltasts (Corinthia)
    Mounted peltasts of the Corinthian hills, hardy and effective ambushers.

Cataphracts(Corinthia)
    A fusion of ancient Hyborian knights with Shemite and Hyrkanian armour conventions, the cataphracts are some of

Companions(Corinthia)
    The retinue of a Corinthian lord, Companions are powerful medium-heavy cavalry.

And, drumroll please...

On your right is an Assault Tower, used by the Hyborians to scale walls, just like in Medieval. On the left is the Corinthian Helepolis, the Taker of Cities. It can be used in sieges like other siege towers, but it is far stronger, and has a formidable battery of ballistae, catapults and other nasty weapons.

While most siege towers are built on site at a siege, the Helepolis is a weapon which can be commissioned by the King to be built at a city, and can be used in many sieges. In addition to this, they are manned by Myrmidons: elite assault infantry trained and experienced in multiple sieges, making them ideal for taking the walls of a foe. The biggest advantage to building the Helepolis over building sieges at the city is that you can strike immediately without using a turn, giving the enemy little time to retaliate. Of course, the Helepolis could prove to be a white elephant if foiled by savvy defenders, and the initial building cost of the monster is pretty daunting unless you want your general to gain a few siege traits.

At the moment the Helepolis just looks like a big siege tower, and acts like one (though it catches fire a bit too quickly for my liking), but I hope to have it rain pointy death on it's enemies so that it can be used in field battles as well. As it is, it just works like a regular siege tower, except it comes with it's own unit and provides a morale bonus to friendly units, and scares enemy men with it's awesome presence.

I'll update the respective faction threads too.
    Last edited by Taranaich; 07-28-2008 at 17:50.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Default Re: Quick update

Looks good, and I very much like the idea of the Helepolis. More flavor to the game.

Demetrius Poliocretes would be pleased!!!

Sharp units!!!

Chris

They're all great Taranaich, good job!
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Thanks lads!

Quote Originally Posted by christof139
    Demetrius Poliocretes would be pleased!!!
    Exactly who I had in mind for one of Corinthia's generals, in character at least.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

Antigonius or Antiginous One-Eye is another one. Chris

Hmm, maybe I could model all of Corinthia's generals after the Diadochi. Could lead to some interesting conflicts when the starting faction leader dies: maybe one or two could go rebel and try to wrest control of Corinthia from your new leader. It would be more fun if you could chose your faction heir, but eh, what can you do.

I think basing the starting Corinthian general on Alexander would be too obvious though. Maybe he could be the heir, and the starting leader based on Philip? Or just a whole bunch of different traits from other Greek generals and kings.

Yeah, those are good ideas, throw in some Byzantine and Roman names too and it would all be in flavor.

Chris

Amazing stuff, especially the Korinthian bodyguard and Elepolis!

WOW!

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Cheers again lads.

Another quick update: I'll be going away for a week to see some family up in the Cairngorms, but I thought I'd give everyone an update on where the mod is currently:

Most Hyborian and Barbarian units done, still have to do all the Shemites, Hyrkanians, Black Kingdoms and other eastern cultures.
    The final concept for the map is almost done after literally *dozens* of different iterations, I'll post it next week.
    Concepts for ancillaries, traits etc still being fleshed out, not implemented yet.
    UI stuff being worked on (events, unit/building pics, .
    Building textures done for Ancient culture buildings (a lot more Egyptianish than the old screen), some for Hyborian culture buildings too.
    Balancing working well: I've beefed up defenses substantially in a manner reminiscent of RealCombat: 0-20 for shields, 0-20 for armour, 0-50 for skill. This allows unarmoured units like the Rastriagha to be deadly in melee, but vulnerable to archers.

Units done (screens and a preview for Koth will come up next week)
    Rastriagha now have axes and "highlander" gear
    New Berserkir for Asgard/Vanaheim
    Vanulfrs (Vanir unique unit, wolfskin-wearing spearmen)
    Asvikingar (AEsir unique unit, heavy infantry with huge axes serving as halberds)
    Kothic Macemen
    Kothic Swordsmen
    Kothic Spearmen
    Kothic Cataphracts
    Kothic Knights

Koth is basically "Dark Byzantium", with a lot of Byzantine-esque units with more black and dark red. I'll come up with more ethnic names for the units: Kothic Spearmen is descriptive, but it just sounds rather dull. They'll probably be latinised greek terms (Pronoians for the Macemen for instance).

See you soon!

Default AW: Re: Quick update

the idea of the helepolis is good, that wilol make the defence of cities much more difficult

Neat idea for Koth!!! Chris

The "Dark Byzantium" aspect for Kothian forces is a great idea
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

Heh, cheers lads. I'll put more info about Koth and the "Dark Byzantium" aspect in the faction thread, though it's taking a bit longer than I anticipated, I can't get them looking "Byzantine" enough, though I have plenty of resources to look at.

Groovy!!! Chris

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Love the units and I never even read these books! Now you know you've made some progress!

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

New Zealand, colony of the glorious British Empire.

Helepolis! Wicked cool! I remember the days of owning everyone in Age of Mythology with those tanks. The re-skinned units look more unique than they did - which is good. The think about the Hyborian age is that all of the different factions are incredibly distinct in their cultures and ways. This is an excellent representation.

Keep up the great work!
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmenian
    Love the units and I never even read these books! Now you know you've made some progress!
    Thanks IA - and that's something you'll have to fix, the books are great!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Baron
    Helepolis! Wicked cool! I remember the days of owning everyone in Age of Mythology with those tanks. The re-skinned units look more unique than they did - which is good. The think about the Hyborian age is that all of the different factions are incredibly distinct in their cultures and ways. This is an excellent representation.

Keep up the great work!
    Thanks Baron. I did try to make the factions as distinct as possible without making them look alien to each other, but history has a plethora of inspiration for such things. I loved AoM (make a sequel Ensemble! And put the Chinese, Mayans and Celts in!)

Very nice, I'm really looking forward to this mod.

Thank you Meldarion. :)

Another tiny update: I've put up the Koth preview sans a few units I'm getting the kinks out of, but I thought I'd show two units I'm pretty proud of:

New Rastriagha

Berserkers!

Basically these two units are the most dangerous (non-sorcerous human) infantry in the game. They have awesome mass allowing them to cleave right through enemy formations, and with almost inhuman resistance to pain and injury they'll make utter mincemeat of most other soldiers. The only differences between the two are that the Berserker has slightly better armour thanks to their helms, while the Rastriagha have better defense skill (clearer vision & hearing from no helms), though they will cut each other down to a near draw in a straight-up brawl.

They'll be helpless under concentrated arrow fire though: next to no armour means a single unit of Bossonian Archers could take them out if you're sharp enough to command them (and they don't have any chums around)

They both look great, except the transition between the upper body and throat look somewhat unnatural. Otherwise great job!

It does, it needs a bit more blending. Thanks though!

Question : At least in Hyborian terms what is "modern" about a feudal army vs. The king is king bitch and everyone bows down and the army is paided directly from the coffers or land is lent out but still owned by the crown ?

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

"Modern" as in "a recent development". Not "more advanced" or anything like that. :)

From most beatifull city on dunjaluk Mostar,Bosna..now in cold Norway thanks to neighbouring primitives...

You are doing great work...all sounds great and first images are shaping up nice.

You most probably heared of Age of Conan MMO, check these concept art from upcoming game, might help you a LOT in coming time.

These are Stygian warrior concept art :

Vanir :

Aquilonian :

Diverse Barbarians :

Mage/Priest :

I hope this gives you some inspiration ;)

You say wrong things at wrong times ALL the time!
    You'r mouth is like a fabric of mistakes!- Lana (My Girlfriend)

I appreciate the links, they're very good, but to be frank I'm trying to steer myself away from the "Dark Horse" Conan aesthetic, as they make a lot of deviations from Howard's tales in terms of art design. The biggest offender is their Aquilonians, who bear little resemblance to the unambiguously late middle ages/early renaissance vision of Howard. I only gave the Corinthians a classical look because we know so little about them, so anything I do won't contradict Howard too much, and I thought a classical faction would complement the medieval and ancient nations well.

Having said that, their Vanir and some of the Stygian art is spot on.

From most beatifull city on dunjaluk Mostar,Bosna..now in cold Norway thanks to neighbouring primitives...

Well, I digg dark horse comic art :) It fits perfectly for me :) Anyways, if sometimes you need inspiration, check aoc sites.Lot of info, as iterpretaion of books and visula art...keep up :)

You say wrong things at wrong times ALL the time!
    You'r mouth is like a fabric of mistakes!- Lana (My Girlfriend)

Back again with a quick update!

I've basically looked back on some of my placeholder textures (ie Ophir. If you haven't already looked in the Ophir thread... don't. Just don't), and redone the worst of them. I've also figured out a nifty way to make Gunderland Pikemen with shields, without fiddling about with the models just yet. I plan on doing them properly when I get Milkshape working, but for now they're pretty good.

So here are the new Gunderland Pikemen:

And some more new units:

Knights of Poitain
    “The hosts met with a shock like that of an earthquake, that shook the tottering towers of Shamar. The disorganized squadrons of the invaders could not withstand the solid steel wedge, bristling with spears, that rushed like a thunderbolt against them. The long lances of the attackers ripped their ranks to pieces, and into the heart of their host rode the knights of Poitain, swinging their terrible two-handed swords.” – The Scarlet Citadel

The units formerly called "Knights of Poitain" are now "Lancers of Poitain". These knights are not as devastating in a charge, but much more capable of slugging it out in melee. Usually the Lancers will smash a gap in an enemy line, and the Knights will follow through.

Black Guard
    "Conan of Aquilonia, blood from unbandaged wounds caking his huge limbs, faced his captors. On either side of him stood a dozen black giants, grasping their long-shafted axes." - The Scarlet Citadel
    Many Hyborian nations like Koth and Ophir suffer from intense dynastic disputes, where every nobleman feels the right to strike for the throne regardless of how far removed their ancestors were from the ruling family line. As such, treachery is frequent and bloody, and a wise ruler would seek to surround himself only in company he trusts. One result of this is the Black Guard, a bodyguard unit formed of giant warriors of the Black Kingdoms armed with halberds. Because they are foreign slaves with no ethnic connection to the nobility, the logic goes that they would be less likely to be bribed by a rival, or even to assassinate their own charge and take over themselves. In addition to their loyalty, they are also steadfast soldiers, well trained and equipped by their lord to defend their holdings, family and person.

Dragon Pikemen
    "Like a river of a molten steel the Nemedian host flowed into the valley, the great scarlet dragon rippling over it." - The Hour of the Dragon
    In the great frenzy of industry and war-making Tarascus initiated to supplement his plot to take Aquilonia, his generals and strategists studied every facet of Aquilonian warfare. Their attempt to counter the famous Gundermen was a battallion of heavily armoured pikemen. They did not adopt the unique Gunderman pike-and-shield combinations, but attempted to circumvent that by encasing themselves in high quality plate armour vastly superior to their foe's mail and brigandine. The result is an expensive, slow-moving, inflexible but extremely tough formation that can withstand the charge of even the Knights of Poitain, and with their plate armour the devastating hail of Bossonian Arrows would clatter harmlessly from their flanks.

Legion
    Though much of Acheron's might lay in it's dark sorceries and demonic pacts, the more practical arm of Acheron was in it's professional military. The Legions of Acheron were a disciplined military force, charged with defending Acheron's expansive borders from barbaric invaders and keeping the long trade routes safe from bandits and outlaws. As the empire grew, so the legions drew from the indigenous populations of new territories more from the homeland, and so the vassal kingdoms Ophir, Corinthia and western Koth had their own legionary traditions. With the fall of Acheron and the rise of the new Hyborian Kingdoms the legions became relics, mere shadows of their old glory, although some of the more culturally inclined areas perpetuate the legions, in addition to other Acheronian traditions.

Sailors
    “A distant medley of voices reached their ears, and creeping to the southern edge of the cliffs, they saw a motley horde emerge from the fringe of trees along the western rim of the plateau, and stand there a space in debate. There was much flourishing of arms, brandishing of swords, and loud rough argument. Then the whole band started across the plateau toward the ruins, at a slant that would take them close by the foot of the cliffs.” – Iron Shadows in the Moon
    Although sailors are not warriors by profession, a life of hard labour on the open and frequently hostile ocean breeds rugged and hardy men. They may lack the training and cohesion of a true military unit, but if an army needs a few swordsmen to bolster their armies or patrol a settlement, out of work or retired sailors would prove as good a choice as any other militia. Unlike normal militia, however, they are much less likely to rout in the face of overwhelming odds, and their skill with a sword is better than the average militiaman.

Buccaneers
    “The buccaneers weaved drunkenly, they swore incoherently; they were addled and bewildered, but they grasped their swords and advanced with a ferocity not dimmed in the slightest by the fact that they did not understand what it was all about… shouting with muddled fury, ran groggily across the court and fell on their gigantic foes with bloodthirsty zeal.” – The Pool of the Black One
    Buccaneers are pirates authorized by a government to attack a foreign nation's shipping, be it simple plunder of traders or the sack of a port. Drawn from the Zingaran Freebooters or Barachan Pirates, Buccaneers have all the grace of both, but with a small measure of protection from attack from their client country's own ships. Though they are generally more useful on sea, in times of desperation buccaneers can be hearty fighters on land as much on the waves, skewering their enemies with light swords and filthy language.

Great units! Especially the dragon pikemen!
    I'd love to command those.

I like the "Barbaric Roman" look for the Legion of Acheron. Good job, there.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast