Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quick update (Updated July 28th!)

Default Re: Quick update (Updated July 28th!)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Is that a map you photoshopped yourself or not? If not, do you have a link to a larger version of it?
    It's based on Vincent Darlages maps like this one. I'll put up a larger version of my modded one.

Mastadon, Pterodactyl, Tricerotops, Sabertooth Tiger, Tyranosaurus!
    Slag, Sludge, Snarl, Swoop, Grimlock, transform and roll out!

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

This mod looks so awesome! Looks very well done and is the kind of a mod I always wanted to play.

Cheers Scion! Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to post updates for a while, but rest assured work IS going on, even if there isn't much info or stuff to show for it.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

If you don\'t mind my asking, how\'s campaign map progress going?
    Last edited by Spartan198; 09-17-2008 at 16:20.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

As with everything, like a geriatric tortoise on snail roller-skates.

I'm still working out the borders of Cherkessia & Sabatea, and Cherryfunk's still working on the next Roma Surrectum (which, not to give too much away, looks incredible), and to top it all off I have another project to get done for November. Never rains, but it pours I guess.

Next quick update will be relatively soon though, I hope: it's an update of some of the main character biographies, hopefully with proper portraits and one or two ancillaries.

Timnar = Timor = Indonesia???

Mastodon had bunodont teeth like humans etc. have (teeth with rounded cusps or raised areas, nipples or whatever, that grow independent of other teeth) in contrast to the lophodont teeth of Mammoths and Elephants. Since the Mastodons were not that tall they ate more vegetation nearer the ground or in the ground or the low branches of trees in constrast to the taller Mammoths and Elephants. Hence, the Mastodon's developed bunodont teeth that enabled then to eat harder 'twiggier' material, to crunch-up the twigs and maybe even roots easily in comparison to the Mammoths and Eles. that ate more 'leafier' and softer vegetation.

Yup, Imperial or Royal Mammoth was quite large, but smaller than the other Ele. types you mentioned, but it was big.

Yeah, good to only have one color for a 'special' animal type as it would be too much work otherwise. Light brown with faint blonde highlights with some white/gray streaks/areas with some medium brown background or streaks/areas might look OK for the cold climate Mammoths in your version of the Hyborian Age.

Hmmm, looks like Sabatea comes from Nabatea and the Nabateans judging from the temple built into the hill/mountain. I think the Crusaders and indigenous Christians used some of the Nabatean caves etc. as hideouts, supply depots, and fortresses when dealing with the Islamics that invaded the area from Arabia.

Good photos to draw ideas from.

That map is good, and I have seen it and similar ones and posted links to some awhile back but you probably were aware of them anyway.

Looking forward to this as I now have METW2 and have enjoyed the Broken Crescent mod, however I still enjoy MTW-VI and RTW-BI and TalonSoft ACW and Nappy War series and John Tiller's (HPS) ACW etc. games.

I'm a lookin' forward to it for shhuuoore.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christof139 View Post
    Timnar = Timor = Indonesia???
    I have... other plans for Indonesia. *grim laugh*

Here's a hint for Timnar: it's a fusion of two names, one historical, one fictional.

Good stuff on Mastodons, it's because of their diet & the American connection that I place them in the Pictish Wilderness.

Hmmm, looks like Sabatea comes from Nabatea and the Nabateans judging from the temple built into the hill/mountain.
    Yup, I deduce that Howard drew upon the Sabaeans and Nabateans for Sabatea. A shame he never elaborated more on this city and its "nighted domes".

That map is good, and I have seen it and similar ones and posted links to some awhile back but you probably were aware of them anyway.
    Amazingly, the map's still a bit of a work-in-progress. More talking with my head scholar has convinced me to make a few amendments, particularly in the Iranistan area, which will be a very important area of the map for the secret faction. But it's more or less ironed out.

I'm a lookin' forward to it for shhuuoore.

Chris

Any new updates for us yet, T.?
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

You'll find out before the week's out, hint hint.

It's basically a "flavour" update showing event screens. Some are just new versions of the usual TW trappings like births, coming of age, deaths, marriages and the sort, though tailored to fit barbarian/Hyborian/Hyrkanian/etc cultures. Others are more specific events like discoveries of lost ruins and treasures, adventures, ill omens, and various incidents and happenings that may or may not affect the actual game, but provide a sense that there's a world outside your chosen nation's borders.

More to come later.

Can't wait!

Sorry for the delay, guys: it'll be out sometimes this week though.

Looking very much foreward to it.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich View Post
    I have... other plans for Indonesia. *grim laugh*

Here's a hint for Timnar: it's a fusion of two names, one historical, one fictional.

Good stuff on Mastodons, it's because of their diet & the American connection that I place them in the Pictish Wilderness.

Yup, I deduce that Howard drew upon the Sabaeans and Nabateans for Sabatea. A shame he never elaborated more on this city and its "nighted domes".

Amazingly, the map's still a bit of a work-in-progress. More talking with my head scholar has convinced me to make a few amendments, particularly in the Iranistan area, which will be a very important area of the map for the secret faction. But it's more or less ironed out.

Timnar, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??? Tamerlane + Tibet??? I don't know. I guess I'll have to wait.
    Narwhales in there?? Narvik in Norway??

Yeah, didn't Howard mention Mastodons or similar in the Pictish Lands or no??

Iran(istan) needs to be ironed out, as do a few other places and things/matters on the planet. I think the Iranistanians will do this themselves.

OT: I just upgraded from an excellent 22" LCD monitor to a 24" and my poor eyeballs are bugging/bulging/burning out and stretching horizontally methinks from all the color and brightness and size even though I knocked 10-20% off the Gamma, Brightness and Contrast, but it does look good. I have to play a RTW or MTW 1 or 2 mod/fame to see how it looks. I wear bifocals now and this is a trip.

Take your time - Makessss it goodsss Precioussss. (great voice and acting in the movie for Gollum the 3rd Age Schizoid Proto-Hobbit, from Pink Floyd; 21st Century Schizoid Man) as we all will still be around for the finished product.

Good luck, Chris-toe-fur

Timnar, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??? Tamerlane + Tibet??? I don't know. I guess I'll have to wait.
    Narwhales in there?? Narvik in Norway??
    Ok, I'll spare you the trouble: It's a sort of ancestor to Timna of Yemen, featured in the Bible, and Mnar, an ancient land spoken of by the noted historian H.P. Lovecraft. More to come soon.

Yeah, didn't Howard mention Mastodons or similar in the Pictish Lands or no??
    No straight references to Pictish Mastodons that I'm aware of (I'm going through non-Hyborian tales like "Men of the Shadows" just to make sure), but given the giant pythons, sabretooths & other ancient horrors I figure it's the best place Conan could have seen a mastodon before "Red Nails". The Dark Storm Chronology, the timeline I'm using, as Conan being in the Pictish Wilderness ("Beyond the Black River" & "The Black Stranger") directly prior to "Red Nails", which is a decent enough explanation as to why he compared the dragon to a Mastodon as opposed to an elephant, since they might've been fresh in his mind.

Iran(istan) needs to be ironed out, as do a few other places and things/matters on the planet. I think the Iranistanians will do this themselves.
    Iranistan is basically the most important, powerful and influential of the independent sub-factions, even in its current contracted state: if I decide to make the "Eastern Kingdoms" faction it is a part of playable, the capital would be there. Probably the best model to imagine is the Sassanid Empire with a little of the Achaemenids & Parthians thrown in : basically, the ultimate zenith of Persian culture.

All clues in the saga show that Iranistan had massive cultural influence in its neighbours: almost all nearby lands have some aspect of Iranistan culture. Howard seemed to imply a lot of back-and-forthing between Shemite and Iranistan rule in Eastern Shem and the Eastern Desert. Turan has adopted much Iranistani language into its military (Shahs etc), and the kings of both Turan and Stygia - the mightiest empires of the South and East - have Iranistani names, arguing possible intermixing or at least some cultural assimilation. Even the Hyborians worship Mitra, a god with an Iranistani name. And of course, the mightiest magical talisman of the Hyborian Age - the Heart of Ahriman - has an Iranistani name, implying an Iranistani origin. I would bet much of the "modern" Hyborian religion started in Iranistan.

So yeah, Iranistan's pretty important.

Take your time - Makessss it goodsss Precioussss.
    Cheers, I hope to get the preview up tomorrow/tonight. It'll probably be a tad text-heavy, though: mostly flavour images (though maybe one or two "surprises")

We're not worthy!

Ok, I'll spare you the trouble: It's a sort of ancestor to Timna of Yemen, featured in the Bible, and Mnar, an ancient land spoken of by the noted historian H.P. Lovecraft. More to come soon.

No straight references to Pictish Mastodons that I'm aware of (I'm going through non-Hyborian tales like "Men of the Shadows" just to make sure), but given the giant pythons, sabretooths & other ancient horrors I figure it's the best place Conan could have seen a mastodon before "Red Nails". The Dark Storm Chronology, the timeline I'm using, as Conan being in the Pictish Wilderness ("Beyond the Black River" & "The Black Stranger") directly prior to "Red Nails", which is a decent enough explanation as to why he compared the dragon to a Mastodon as opposed to an elephant, since they might've been fresh in his mind.

Iranistan is basically the most important, powerful and influential of the independent sub-factions, even in its current contracted state: if I decide to make the "Eastern Kingdoms" faction it is a part of playable, the capital would be there. Probably the best model to imagine is the Sassanid Empire with a little of the Achaemenids & Parthians thrown in : basically, the ultimate zenith of Persian culture.

All clues in the saga show that Iranistan had massive cultural influence in its neighbours: almost all nearby lands have some aspect of Iranistan culture. Howard seemed to imply a lot of back-and-forthing between Shemite and Iranistan rule in Eastern Shem and the Eastern Desert. Turan has adopted much Iranistani language into its military (Shahs etc), and the kings of both Turan and Stygia - the mightiest empires of the South and East - have Iranistani names, arguing possible intermixing or at least some cultural assimilation. Even the Hyborians worship Mitra, a god with an Iranistani name. And of course, the mightiest magical talisman of the Hyborian Age - the Heart of Ahriman - has an Iranistani name, implying an Iranistani origin. I would bet much of the "modern" Hyborian religion started in Iranistan.

So yeah, Iranistan's pretty important.

Cheers, I hope to get the preview up tomorrow/tonight. It'll probably be a tad text-heavy, though: mostly flavour images (though maybe one or two "surprises")
    Ha ha ha!! OK, the noted 'historian' Lovecraft.

Thanx for the info. about Timnar or whatever.

Vendhya (India) was very powerful in Howard's world, more so than Iranistan I do believe. anyway, sound interesting.

I'd make a lot of the smaller states as rebels and have maybe an emerging state appear somewhere, becuase there are so many states in Howard's world.

We were gifted with 12" of snow here today and more is on the way Sunday, Monday and tuesday. Some places got 23" and 3-foot of snow here in the old USA and Canada. Quite common. Messy too and a drag to drive through. There are some good videos on YouTube showing the Great Lakes in storm conditions (they are inland seas with large waves and much wind like Vilayet(sp?)) and plenty of vids about some massive snowstorms. Here is Buffalo, NY in 1977 when a terrible storm hit. The vid is quite Arctic. These vids can put you in the mood when working on the northern states in your mod.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m-gRb_MuUgg
    Nordlanders buried in snow. This was also a disaster for the Picts.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vaVXBn94UpM&NR=1
    Picts surfing off the coast of the future Cornwall, trying to get to shore and conduct a raid on other Picts.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEi59gm0io
    The original Picts of King Kull's time on the southern shores of the Great Nordland and Pictish Lakes.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTj7G...eature=related
    Picts at Whitefish Point, Lake Superior, Michigan, a dangerous place where the 729ft. freighter Edmund Fitzgerald went down. Bad currents and wind, not to mention gnarly waves that can reach 35ft., maybe 50-60ft. on this little borderland Nordland and Pictish Lake.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3cnF...eature=related
    Picts at it again surfing in the winter.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4f3J...eature=related
    Yet more and more Picts surfing.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IpFUU5...eature=related
    Aesir and/or Vanir warriors.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg4MPc7YUac
    Big 'uns coming up da Duluth ship channel in da Nordland winter.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-KHiKu...eature=related
    Pictish Frank Zappa sings of the Yellow Snow in Pictland.

Chris
    Last edited by christof139; 01-03-2009 at 09:04.

Ha ha ha!! OK, the noted 'historian' Lovecraft.

Thanx for the info. about Timnar or whatever.
    No problem.

Vendhya (India) was very powerful in Howard's world, more so than Iranistan I do believe. anyway, sound interesting.
    In Conan's time, Vendhya was a bigger player than Iranistan, probably just behind Turan. I don't think Iranistan was too far behind though, since the clues in "People of the Black Circle" paint the Iranistani as on similar footing to Vendhya and Ghulistan.

Unfortunately the same problem with Vendhya is the problem with Maurya in Roman era mods: too much too far off the map. Still, Vendhya's presence will be felt the further east on the map.

Fun slideshows, BTW.

No problem.

In Conan's time, Vendhya was a bigger player than Iranistan, probably just behind Turan. I don't think Iranistan was too far behind though, since the clues in "People of the Black Circle" paint the Iranistani as on similar footing to Vendhya and Ghulistan.

Unfortunately the same problem with Vendhya is the problem with Maurya in Roman era mods: too much too far off the map. Still, Vendhya's presence will be felt the further east on the map.

Fun slideshows, BTW.
    Yeah, thanx again for the info.

Yeah, Venhya/India was/is BIG. Wasn't it also somewhat fragmented into many independent princedoms, with only a couple being VERY powerful?? Wasn't there also a fear that tribes of Iranistan would unite, and that the more powerful Vendyhans held sway over the fragmented tribes of Iranistan along their common border, but the Vendyhans were worried about the Iranistanians uniting?? Something like that I think.

Glad you have a good sense of humor and enjoyed the slideshow. Some of those Pictish and Nordlander Surfer/Raider types are a wee bit addled methinks. At least they like to get wet.

When you finish your mod it will become a classic.

Happy New Year!!!!

Chris

PS: Some of those Picts are more Irish than you think!!!

Some more interesting views of Nordland and Pictland through a crystal seeing-stone. About 8F or -13.33C here now, still not nearly as cold as 0F (-17.77C) to -50F (-45.55C) or so:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xheqV0...eature=related
    Pictish Shaman's Lake House. Note the much larger waves farther out in the lake and look at the uneveness of the horizon. No Picts out fishing today.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=87pKV2...eature=related
    One 5 to 8-foot wave right behind the other on a bay in Lake Ontario. These waves pound the Pict canoes and any other boats and ships to pieces, tis why you don't see any Picts or anyone or anything else on the lake ATM. Further out in the lake the waves are much bigger. Note the Evil Pictish Shaman's Tower belching smoke in the distance, or is that a Hyperborean Wizard's Tower??

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NjrB03...eature=related
    More of the same. Look at the horizon.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AOpuhG...eature=related
    Pictish Shaman summons up the Steam Devils from the sea (Lake Ontario).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5B84meSh0&NR=1
    Nordlander sacrificial site on a point of 60-foot cliffs along Lake Superior.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9SMx...eature=related
    Nordlander Wizard summons the Creeping Ice.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-5CE...eature=related
    Picts get nailed by 16-foot wave on Gichigumee (Lake Superior) in the winter.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6yHNtVA9EmY&NR=1
    More Picts getting wet. A strange trial of manhood or something.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cbaxf_...eature=related
    Nordlander on the shore in the winter talking with his gods, and saying 'Ouch!' when he gets hit with flying pieces of ice.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8Pkv...eature=related
    Winter Waves pounding the shore underneath a Nordlander Keep on Gichigumee (Lake Superior). Maybe a Pictish Shaman is responsible for this weather?? The waves get bigger than this in fiercer winter winds/blizzards, but there are a few near 20-foot waves in this video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Ee8y...eature=related
    Pict wondering why Lake Michigan is frozen. Could it be more evil magic.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ql7Z...eature=related
    Aquilonian commenting on frozen Lake Michigan at the town of Chicago.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UFPEb3jhFtc
    Beach and lake are frozen.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjJ64vWTIY
    More evil wizardry affecting the waether and waves on Lake Michigan.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iquCHS...nd-fitzgerald/
    729-foot Argossian ship SS Edmund Fitzgerald sinks off Pictish coast when the "Witch of November" visited Lake Superior. Especially watch from 1:20 to 3:05 minutes on the video. Especially at 3:00 when a 30-foot or so wave breaks over the deck of a simialr ship.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwEft...eature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D7n0bbbK4kM&NR=1
    Nordlander or Pict river before ...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CcdfdU5u-r4&NR=1
    ... and after some rain. No fishing or boats on the water today and for some time to come. Perhaps this is the Black or Thunder River between Aquilonia and Pictland???

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PYRjr0Kiw
    The Great Cataclysm begins along the Zingaran and Pictish coasts. In the future, this area would be known as Britanny/Bretagne and the Bay of Biscay. This is truly the wrath of the gods.

Chris

PS: Make sure you have good seaworthy boats (Pict sailors on the Great Lakes call them 'boats' and not 'ships'.) in your mod.
    Last edited by christof139; 01-12-2009 at 07:03.

Yeah, Venhya/India was/is BIG. Wasn't it also somewhat fragmented into many independent princedoms, with only a couple being VERY powerful??

Wasn't there also a fear that tribes of Iranistan would unite, and that the more powerful Vendyhans held sway over the fragmented tribes of Iranistan along their common border, but the Vendyhans were worried about the Iranistanians uniting?? Something like that I think.
    You're thinking of Ghulistan, which was thrown into chaos when the Turanians took three of their biggest cities (as per the "People of the Black Circle" synopsis). Vendhya seemed to be pretty stable, but unlike the pastiches/later maps, it probably didn't control the entire subcontinent, with a substantial portion of the south ruled by Ghanara and the Thaggans (you'll hear about them in the future).

Iranistan was shown as a barely-intact country of tribes like Ghulistan in the pastiches, but I don't really see enough evidence to come to that conclusion in the few snippets we have. The sheer number of Persian influences in Turan & Stygia are too great to be coincidental, and more indicative (to me) of an organized, centralized empire than a tribeland. Contrary to most people's opinion on Howard, his history was never slap-dash: a reading of his historical books would show a great amount of detail and depth. Howard was very careful in choosing his Hyborian names: those that seem out of place are usually there for a reason. All the clues again point to Iranistan being an "Empire put to seed": one that was a mighty force in the past, but threatened by newer, younger empires.

PS: Some of those Picts are more Irish than you think!!!
    I don't doubt that! :D Very interesting (and sobering) clips, quite evocative of Northern Pictish climes. I have some dark plans for the Mountains of the Dead, northernmost part of the Pictish Wilderness (that area directly west of Cimmeria and south of Vanaheim).

Yeah, I have read some of the pastiches and have many of them. The only things 'historical' Howard wrote about the H. Age is some very short histories(y) that have been added to one (or two?) of his novels. All of his notes haven't been published as far as I know, however, ...

Seems that in one of the orginal 13 novels published (not all totally Howard's writings as you know), that Iranistan is described as fragmented, and perhaps that Ghulistan was actually once part of Iranistan (?), pointing to what you said about Iranistan once being an empire.

Yeah, somethings are very sobering. However, one must have a sense of humor concerning this and etc. I always liked nature, and hence my degree in Geology, even though I am and have been for some time a defunct geologist. Never worked in the field directly, just some related things. The videos on YouTube are great concerning nature and there are also some decent historical etc. ones.

I wish Howard had written more of Hyperborea, that very cold, isolated, and magic ridden place. The queen/sorceress reminds me a bit of the evil ice queen in the Narnia tales. Maybe the evil beings etc. of Narnia and the Warhammer world's Chaos Warriors and maybe even the Kislevites would be good to draw some more ideas from to flesh out the ice realm of Hyperborea. winter maps for the battles in the game, with maybe a battle setting in a large ice cave/fortress for one battle map, if anyone wants to take the time to mod that and it would be a lot of work.

Thaggans = Thuggies maybe?? Something like that would be good.

Yeah, the Irish are everywhere: at the Gaelic League, the Fratenal Order of Hybernians (or whatever it is called, I forget), the Polish American Legion (doesn't discriminate as to race or ethnicticity), in Mexico of course per the San Patrico(-tricio) Battalion and etc. Guiness is good to put in Bar-B-Q sauce BTW, as are most beers but particularily dark beers I prefer(ed). Polish Honey Mead is also good for a Bar-B-Q sauce ingredient. Ale and Mead would make a good trade resource for some nations of the Hyborian Age - would add some historical factuality.

Chris

PS: More evidence of the Irish being everywhere: Conan is replacing Jay Leno on the Tonight Show, originally starring Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon (Irish), or was it MacMahon (Scottish)?? The Scotti were an Irish tribe anyway as you know.
    Last edited by christof139; 01-12-2009 at 07:01.

PS: Make sure you have good seaworthy boats (Pict sailors on the Great Lakes call them 'boats' and not 'ships'.) in your mod.
    I'm fairly certain that REH's Hyborian Age Picts never took to the sea at all...

I mean, that's not to say they shouldn't have any sea-going craft, but their navy should be severely limited when compared to sea-faring kingdoms like Zingara and Argos.

Yeah, no kidding. Perhaps the Picts might have canoes and bateauxs (large canoes) as I mentioned, and/or Pacific Island type boats and maybe primitive catamarans.

Maybe they had boats like these big 1,000 foot plus canoes:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPPIB...eature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTCZsEqYNbQ&NR=1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EpvpqXwmaSQ

Not thousand-footers but still big canoes.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SYgcKv...eature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pVwePp...eature=related
    Oops!!

In the meantime laugh a bit, it will help. Chris
    Last edited by christof139; 01-13-2009 at 08:13.

Yeah, I have read some of the pastiches and have many of them. The only things 'historical' Howard wrote about the H. Age is some very short histories(y) that have been added to one (or two?) of his novels. All of his notes haven't been published as far as I know, however, ...
    Not all of them, no, there are some drafts that haven't been published yet.

Seems that in one of the orginal 13 novels published (not all totally Howard's writings as you know), that Iranistan is described as fragmented, and perhaps that Ghulistan was actually once part of Iranistan (?), pointing to what you said about Iranistan once being an empire.
    Ghulistan and Iranistan are most likely of the same root culture, and Iranistan's empire likely occupied a lot of the space Ghulistan takes now. I'm viewing Ghulistan as a relatively young kingdom in comparison to Vendhya and Iranistan, which grew quite a bit before Yezdigerd invaded.

I wish Howard had written more of Hyperborea, that very cold, isolated, and magic ridden place.
    Me too. Indeed, there was the possibility that he would've written a story set there, since he mentioned the name of the King in his notes. Alas, twas not to be - though the clues sprinkled throughout the stories give a tantalizing glimpse into possibilities.

The queen/sorceress reminds me a bit of the evil ice queen in the Narnia tales. Maybe the evil beings etc. of Narnia and the Warhammer world's Chaos Warriors and maybe even the Kislevites would be good to draw some more ideas from to flesh out the ice realm of Hyperborea. winter maps for the battles in the game, with maybe a battle setting in a large ice cave/fortress for one battle map, if anyone wants to take the time to mod that and it would be a lot of work.
    I'll be drawing on similar sources that Kislev & Chaos are based on: the Slavs, Rus, and other northern folk. Generally I've been shying away from the overtly sorcerous kingdom of the pastiches in favour of a more neutral civilized state, but with plenty of scope to take that route should the player want to. No Queen Vammatar, but Queen Katarina is very interested in the ancient mysteries of Elder Hyperborea. No White Hand, but the Scions of Eibon keep the dark mysterious of the legendary priest of Zhothaqquah. No giant purple warriors, but the giant warriors of Hyperborea are no less ferocious and terrible. Lots of torturing though.

Thaggans = Thuggies maybe?? Something like that would be good.
    Pretty much a fusion of the Thuggees and the proliferation of gods called "Th-g" or some variation thereof throughout the world, yes: they strangle their victims to retain as much blood as possible for their demonic god's pleasure. The Cult of Yajur in Kosala is an offshoot from the original Thaggan cult merged with Old Kosalan religion & sorcery.

Ale and Mead would make a good trade resource for some nations of the Hyborian Age - would add some historical factuality.
    Oh yes, trade resources will not get the shaft.

I'm fairly certain that REH's Hyborian Age Picts never took to the sea at all...

I mean, that's not to say they shouldn't have any sea-going craft, but their navy should be severely limited when compared to sea-faring kingdoms like Zingara and Argos.
    And they will be: it would take a lot of canoes to take down a Zingaran or Argossean transport, and even then it would have to be an ambush that wouldn't allow said transport enough movement points to escape. It's only after the reforms when they learn more advanced sea engineering that they get the big catamarans - and even they would be toast against anything bigger than a galley. Plus they'll be quite expensive, since there isn't really that much reason for the Picts to go to sea in the first place.

Yeah, you have it figured out pretty good. Didn't Howard et al, in one of the 13 original books, have a story that dealt with Hyperbora, or maybe it was that he mentioned Hyperborea and a previous adventure Conan had there, maybe Conan was reflecting on this in the book, can't remember????

-11F (-23.8888C) here now (10AM) and last night, it is supposed to go up to +7F or +8F today. Temps.in other areas around here in the northern midwest and in Canada are hitting -20F and -30F and a bit more. Very Nordlander and Cimmerian and northern Pictish and Hyperborean like. It's at times like this that notherners howl at the celing because they can't see the moon since it is concealed by snow clouds and ice fog and it's too cold to howl around outside anyway. Makes sense to me. Yeah, make Hyperborea evily cold, frigidly insane, the White Hand or whatever would be a good order of evil sorcers and sorceresses, with large wolves/wargs running around with the rebels and brigands.

Yeah, Picts should only have canoes and war canoes with maybe catamarans latter, and maybe they can be somehow used on certain rivers in the game?? Maybe not, as the rivers would have to be too wide. So, maybe as jsut coastal ships restricted to the adjacent Pictich waters and maybe one sea area to the north and one to the south, if that is possible. Something like that.

Take care over there on the Emerald Isle and its Cliffs of Moher etc.
    Last edited by christof139; 01-16-2009 at 16:22.

Yeah, you have it figured out pretty good. Didn't Howard et al, in one of the 13 original books, have a story that dealt with Hyperbora, or maybe it was that he mentioned Hyperborea and a previous adventure Conan had there, maybe Conan was reflecting on this in the book, can't remember????
    Conan never talked about the Hyperboreans in the stories, but in a letter to P.S. Miller, Howard did say he was captured by them in his youth, and gained a hatred of them which would last his entire life. Conan never talked about other times that affected him deeply - Belit's death was another - it wouldn't surprise me that this would be the same. There are also lots of references straight and oblique to Hyperborea's insularity and propensity for violence & torture.

Yeah, Picts should only have canoes and war canoes with maybe catamarans latter, and maybe they can be somehow used on certain rivers in the game?? Maybe not, as the rivers would have to be too wide. So, maybe as jsut coastal ships restricted to the adjacent Pictich waters and maybe one sea area to the north and one to the south, if that is possible. Something like that.
    Much of the Black River and some of Thunder River will be traversable by boat, with the possibility of developing the small fishing villages to ports and having tiny trade fleets. I'm going to try and use the shallow/deep water mapping so that the larger ships (& sea monsters) will be unable to go up river: that way we won't have galleons, polyremes (or krakens) going up rivers too shallow to accomodate them. Since the mod probably won't use the discovery of America element, it's as well to use the dynamic for something.

Take care over there on the Emerald Isle and its Cliffs of Moher etc.
    I'll pass it on from Scotland.

Yeah, the 'discovery' of the Americas - even though they were already 'discovered' by the inhabitants and contained great civilizations - only pops up in 'Conan of the Isles'.

Scotland, hmmm, yes, it does say that under your avatar. I guess I relate Conan more to the Irish and in reality there isn't much difference between the Irish and Scots being as closely related as you all are, and the pipes exist in both places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5P1...eature=related
    2006 Scottish/Irish Highlands Festival in Estes Park, Colorado. Mass band with several different bagpipe groups and the Marines playing Amazing Grace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qu...eature=related
    Happy St. Paddie's day!! Irish-American piper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZuq_mMDg20
    From USA Veterans in Colorado. Features the King's Own Scottish Borderers and the Marine Air Land Combat Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2zcgieFVtE
    Scotland per Robbin Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hZU...eature=related
    The Massed Bands, 700 pipers and drummers play together in Calgary (Canada, I do believe) at the 2006 Highland Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84uM...eature=related
    Conan time period pipes and drums. This is WULF playing An Dro at the Loveland Castle in Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrIU...eature=related
    Clann An Drumma at Culloden. This group is great!! The drummer on the right gets into it ten-fold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lg-...eature=related
    Clann An Drumma and the walk for Wallace.

Yeah, I was wondering if the game had the shallow and deep water distinction thingie, good it does and you are doing what I was thinking.
    I have METW2 but haven't played it in awhile, and have 2 decent compooters to play it on. Had about 5, but I upgraded and reduced the amount of compooters to 2. Too confusing for me.

Bonnie Prince Charlie was half Polish and it is a shame he didn't have some Polish cavalry and infantry at Culloden as that would have been the end of Cumberland.

Stolat!!! Chris

PS: Pictish boats; rafts > war canoes > outriggers > catamarans.
    Last edited by christof139; 01-19-2009 at 02:52.

Hi i want ask how much life is still in the barbarian because i have begun a own cthulhu mod which includes also some lore of your mod.
    Well my mod will be for Empire but maybe you can use some material of my mod if needed.

Regards A.U.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.” Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Argent Usher View Post
    Hi i want ask how much life is still in the barbarian because i have begun a own cthulhu mod which includes also some lore of your mod.
    Well my mod will be for Empire but maybe you can use some material of my mod if needed.

Regards A.U.
    Sounds to be an interesting mod.

Quote:

And they will be: it would take a lot of canoes to take down a Zingaran or Argossean transport, and even then it would have to be an ambush that wouldn't allow said transport enough movement points to escape. It's only after the reforms when they learn more advanced sea engineering that they get the big catamarans - and even they would be toast against anything bigger than a galley. Plus they'll be quite expensive, since there isn't really that much reason for the Picts to go to sea in the first place.

Quote: christof139

PS: Pictish boats; rafts > war canoes > outriggers > catamarans.
    In the Story I've been working on, is set 500 years after Conan's death and as per a conversation with Taranaich and a couple other people. Some of the Polynesian canoe's made sense given that after the Picts spring out and shatter the Hyborian West.
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast