Thread: Tuscany - Unit List

Default Tuscany - Unit List

Here is my version of the Northern/Central Italian units. They are somewhat similar to yours. Also, I was using the same book mostly

In Italy, there is a distinct separation between the commune (city) and contado (countryside). As far as the military is concerned, I propose that this separation be displayed using the castle and city recruitment system already in place. Basically, all units that would have come from the countryside including feudal units (though I use this term with discretion as feudalism itself is becoming less and less a clear term) would be recruitable in castles, and the militias and merchant-class units would be recruitable in cities. Perhaps this is what CA was trying to portray, though, in my opinion, it fails to encapsulate the true military system in less urbanized nations such as England and Ireland.

Northern and Central Italian Units

Castle Units

Infantry

Peasants - (Not sure of the Italian/Latin term, maybe popolo)

Contado pedites - (rural infantry [could use feudal instead of rural, but I don’t like the haphazard and general application of the term feudal])

Details – In rural (feudal) armies the pedites included free men and those of servile origin, the the latter were largely non-combatant and their service was almost a form of forced labour. Free men included conscripts and mercenaries; their tasks were to defend the baggage train, erect and defend camps, build and operate siege machines, fight as archers, and inflict as much damage as possible on enemy territory as guastatori or “ravagers.”

Equipment – Large round shield and long spear. Armour should advance to chainmail and metal helmet. I have a picture if needed.

Contado pedites archers - (not sure what the Italian/latin word for archer is, by my research it could be any of these terms – pandus, fornicatus, curvus.)

Details – Same as above.

Equipment – Bows. Also carry a sword and small round shield. Cloth armour. Picture available.

Pavesarii - pavise crossbowmen. Could also use a rank of crossbowman before this, though I don’t know the Italian/Latin term.

Bubulic (Herdsmen, or oxen)
    Armed with sword and bow. Obscure. Probably hail from the mountain valleys.

Zafones - Irregular troops from the rugged Marche region. The in inhabitants of the mountain valleys hailed from a very different society than the city-dominated lowlands. Though widely despised as poverty-stricken roughnecks, these mountain men were admitted to be tough and warlike, with the makings of good soldiers.

Cavalry

Contado equites – rural cavalrymen.

Equipment – sword or mace and tear shield.

Scutiferi - Prosperous peasants who held a non-distinct fief termed a feudum scutiferi. They effectively were a rank below the valvassor minor which was the lowest rank of knight. The scutiferi ride a roncin which is an ordinary type of horse, and inferior to the knightly destrier or palfry. Garbed in relatively basic armour, the scutiferi formed a light cavalry, and would often harass an enemy line prior to a heavy cavalry charge.

Equipment – Basic armour (whatever that means, I can only assume they would never wear plate.

Milites – Standard knight, with all the denominations. Several pictures available.

Masnada – alternative spelling is Masnata meaning “support” or “prop” (the military following of a lord). Standard noble bodyguard.

Contadini - The rural nobility of the countryside (contado) in Italy.

Communal (City) Units

Infantry

Citadini/iuvenes inferioris militia – lower class militia. Should be equivalent to the rural peasants though perhaps slightly better armed.

Popolane or Popolo Militia – middle class merchant militia able to afford better equipment than the poorer militia.

(Note: The above two classes could be organized under a general term called the Pedites militia – Were of lower status than the cavalry, but they were the backbone of a communal army. The well-armed and armoured elite were drawn from the merchant and skilled artisan classes [popolo], while the iuvenes inferioris were drawn from poorer artisans and labourers/ Many might, in fact, have been counted amongst the ribaldi [ruffians] who operated siege machines.)

Archer Militia – Use bows obviously.

Crossbow Militia – I think it is safe to say they used crossbows. There should be an advanced version of this which the player is able to upgrade to later in the game. Perhaps for the archers as well.

(Note: Urban militia of northern Italy could withstand and defeat armoured cavalry, and were praised and recognized for such a talent.)

Cavalry

Berrovieri – A product of the 13th century. At first they fought both on foot and on horseback, but they gradually evolved into lightly armoured professional cavalry each with two horses. Many seemed to have been drawn from the rural regions, some stemming from minor knightly families and others being described as “the sons of wealthy farmers.”

Milities Pro Commune or militia equites perhaps (though the first name is historically referenced) – A wealthy class of citizens who were not of the noble class, but could afford the finer attire of warfare.

Commune Nobilitas – Much of the wealthy 13th century urban aristocracy was not of long-standing noble origin, but had only recently been ennobled because of their city’s need for more horsemen. I believe this should be a full unit of horsemen.

Aristocratic Bodyguards – Didn’t find much on them.

Fanti – Soldier-servants who formed retinues for leading noble families. Not much else.

Edit: Mounted Crossbowmen became effective in the later part of the 13th century. Though I am not sure if they should be built in castles or cities.

Other

Carroccio – a decorated wagon bearing the city’s banner, centre point of communal army’s battle array. High wooden pole like the mast of a ship fixed to a strong wagon.
    Manned by priests who looked after the wounded. Could provide a combat/healing bonus for soldiers nearby.

2.1 Tuscany Specific Units

Carroccio cum Martinella – The Carrocio from Tuscany contained a marinella (bell) in a wooden tower. This was a particularly important symbol for the Florentine army.

Late Cavalry Militia of all types (or a select type if preferred, there is no detail on this)

Late Infantry militia of all types (or a select type if preferred, there is no detail on this)

While the great age of communal militia armies was coming to an end in Italy during the 13th century, Tuscany was slower to change than the north. The survival of a militia cavalry and militia infantry attests to this. They also became increasingly effective against cavalry.

Tuscan papal knight – Tuscany, especially during the reign of Matilda of Tuscany, was known for its fervent support of the papacy. It was not uncommon for a Tuscan soldier to serve in the papal army, or to fight often for the papal cause. It should be expected that they would fight more fervently against the enemies of the papacy and would always claim to be fighting for a holy cause. There is a specific reference and artist rendering of Tuscan knights in papal service in my book, so they seem to be legitimate, but one can never be sure. The problem is whether they should be usable by the Tuscany faction, the papal faction or perhaps both. Also, there is no reason to limit them to a knightly class. Arguably, there could be various denominations of soldiers in papal service. I will leave it up to the discretion of alpaca.

Tuscany should also be limited in its ability to recruit mercenaries before 1300 as that is when they seem to become more prevalent. Therefore, they should have increases in regular unit strengths to augment this. The late versions of their cavalry and infantry militias should reflect this, but it can also be done in other ways I am sure.

Don’t forget, all cavalry mentioned in this post should/could have a non-mounted version as well.

Lastly, please provide feedback and criticism. I don’t want to leave anything out and I am sure some of the names are debatable. Also, much of waht was written is taken verbatem from my book, but can be changed/addedd to as nessecary. Next up, I will be working on the units of southern Italy. Thanks for reading!

Make pies not war Member Cangrande's Avatar

Default Re: Tuscany - Unit List

During this early period wasnt the Marquisate based on Lucca?
    Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Default Re: Tuscany - Unit List

The marquisate was fairly unimportant at the verge of the second millenium, so we decided to have a combined faction of Pisa/Tuscany. In fact, think of it more like a Pisan faction which recruits Tuscanian units from its hinterland.

We did this with a few factions who we felt wouldn't alone be strong enough to survive. Since we can't have every small city state represented and can't simulate the reasons why they existed or survived in the first place, this is a decent compromise.