Thread: Marian reforms better then Imperial?

Default Marian reforms better then Imperial?

Don't get me wrong, in fact I have no idea what I'm saying, as I haven't reached any of this reforms as of yet.

What I know of Romani reforms, the only thing that is better in the Imperial system that you can train legionaries almost everywhere (type II IIRC), but the Praetorians have to be recruited in Rome.

Sure you get more uber horseman, but what about Marian auxiliary units. From a little custom battle I played, they KICK A$$! I wouldn't want to change them for some puny aux units of the Imperium.

Do correct me if I wrong! Are there any other differences between Marian and Imperial? Any extra experience gained from players that have finished their Romani campaign? Do enlighten this poor Romani general!

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Marian reforms better then Imperial?

The Marian Era only gets three Cavalry Auxilia, which remain in the Imperial Reforms. All of the other Auxilia actually require the Imperial Reform in order to get.

Oh, I meant this aux:
    Antesignani (Post Marian Elite Legionary Light Infantry)

Sorry, my bad. Light Infantry.

Oh, those guys are more of actual Legionaries.

I like the Auxilia Heavy Spearmen more then them, anyways. More numbers, more historically prevelent, easier to recruit, and they seem to do a better job at assisting standard Legionaries then the Anstesignani do.

Plus, in 080, when I got the Imperial Reforms, Anstesignani were available in both eras.

no way jose

The Imperial Legionaries are a lil better, the new cavarly auxilia is better, and the new spearmen auxilia are more numerous.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSpartan
    no way jose

The Imperial Legionaries are a lil better, the new cavarly auxilia is better, and the new spearmen auxilia are more numerous.
    OK, don't crucify me!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Oh, those guys are more of actual Legionaries.

I like the Auxilia Heavy Spearmen more then them, anyways. More numbers, more historically prevelent, easier to recruit, and they seem to do a better job at assisting standard Legionaries then the Anstesignani do.

Plus, in 080, when I got the Imperial Reforms, Anstesignani were available in both eras.
    That's good to hear. I really like them, strong units, even though the Imperial aux might be better against cavalry.

How do you mean, they assist normal Legionaries better?

BTW, back to my original question. What is the recruitment difference between Marian and Imperial?

you get imperial legionaires instead of marian ones, praetorian infantry and cavalry, and your recruitment range is expanded so that you can get romanised armoured spear auxilia (east and west variety) in many provinces where you previously couldent recruit any factional units. im not sure if you lose the antesigniani or re-enlisted veteran's cohort or not, they might be replaced by the praetorians as elite infantry. obviously the improved recruitment range is the most useful thing here.

Well you are speaking for Marian and Imperial reforms, but in my campaing with Makedonia the Romans in 206 bc are still in the Camilan era and they are overrunned by Carthage from the south and the germans from the north and i own Taras with 6 turns to remain to build the royal palace but still no reforms...

"Alexander came by the statue of his father and spoke loud: `Youths of the Pellaians and of the Macedonians and of the Hellenic Amphictiony and of the Lakedaimonians and of the Corinthians... and of all the Hellenic peoples, join your fellow-soldiers and entrust yourselves to me, so that we can move against the barbarians and liberate ourselves from the Persian bondage, for AS Hellenes WE should not be slaves to barbarians."

RTR, AtB-EB member Member svramj's Avatar

Question Re: Marian reforms better then Imperial?

i think there must be a family member with reformer trait, is it so ?????

Quote Originally Posted by The Wicked
    Well you are speaking for Marian and Imperial reforms, but in my campaing with Makedonia the Romans in 206 bc are still in the Camilan era and they are overrunned by Carthage from the south and the germans from the north and i own Taras with 6 turns to remain to build the royal palace but still no reforms...
    I thought Polybian was coded for 210BC. Could be that this doesn't work (I didn't notice it in EBBS, and because Romani need to control some provinces to get get Polybian, it's possible they never went that far.

So, increased recruitment range is very good.

MAA, could it be that you still had your old MIC and you didn't upgrade it, so it still showed Marian units?

All I have to do now is play with EEBS a bit (now that MMA explained it) and make a Augustus character. Easy as pie

OK, thread closed, so I'd like to that all that participated and goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by svramj
    i think there must be a family member with reformer trait, is it so ?????
    Yes, but if you "cancel out" the line that requires him or set unconditional trigger, then you can get it without. But I guess its more fun if Praetorians are protecting Caesar.
    Last edited by Respenus; 10-01-2007 at 13:58.

The AI will get the Polybian Reforms in 210BC. However, they will only have the markers then. It takes them quite some time to upgrade their MICs to Polybian ones. Then it take more time before the Camilian units start dying off and they start recruiting Polybian units. It may be 200-190BC before you actually see the AI officially in the Polybian era.
    MAA, could it be that you still had your old MIC and you didn't upgrade it, so it still showed Marian units?
    You mean about the Anstesignani in the Imperial Era. Nope, they were all upgraded approriately. Anstesignani were just available in the Avgvstan Era in the past releases. IIRC, they aren't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Anstesignani were just available in the Avgvstan Era in the past releases. IIRC, they aren't anymor
    I can recruit Anstesignani even after Avgvstan reform !

Forgotten Empire

Great! The news keep getting better and better!

Wait, can somebody who has had and used the Augustan Reform units please resolve this:

Are Antesignani available after the Augustan Reforms?
    Are Cohors Evocata Available after the Augustan Reforms?

Those are the main questions right now.

I am curios though, why would Cohors Imperiala be moved up to MIC lvl 4, when they are supposed to be the standard army unit?
    I always thought that you were supposed to use these guys mainly, with the Auxiliaries serving as, well, Auxiliaries. They are there to support the Imperial Legions and aid them in achieving the goal, not serve as your frontline troops with the Imperial Legionnaires serving as elites for extreme situations.

Quote Originally Posted by gran_guitarra
    Are Antesignani available after the Augustan Reforms?
    Are Cohors Evocata Available after the Augustan Reforms?
    Yes/Yes ... Both of them are available after Avgvstan refrom !
    I am curios though, why would Cohors Imperiala be moved up to MIC lvl 4, when they are supposed to be the standard army unit?
    I always thought that you were supposed to use these guys mainly, with the Auxiliaries serving as, well, Auxiliaries. They are there to support the Imperial Legions and aid them in achieving the goal, not serve as your frontline troops with the Imperial Legionnaires serving as elites for extreme situations.
    If you mean that "Cohors Imperatoria" as romans main unit should be recruitable in lesser MIC ,Then I'm disagree with you. Because as my own experience ,Majority of the settlements already have MIC4 or 3 even before Marian refrom ,let alone Imperial one.

Forgotten Empire

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Actually that's exactly how it worked.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I can't remember the name of the battle in Britain I know its not Boudica (sp)though.

The romans had the Batavians engage the Briton center, while the roman cavarly (probably also auxilary) engaged the briton cavarly, the legions just sat back and did nothing.
    Last edited by NeoSpartan; 10-03-2007 at 17:56.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Something about a victory being all the sweeter if it was achieved without shedding a drop of proper Roman blood, I understand.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Legionaries were more expensive to equip, train and maintain. Hence each soldier represented a great investment that was not casually wasted.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]