Thread: Catalonia and Castille

Lightbulb Catalonia and Castille

First of all I would really like to ask those who are doing the mod to change the name of Spain for Castille.

Spain is a modern concept and NOT, as the Spanish claim, originating from the Roman Empire. The Romans called it Hispania, which meant "land of rabbits", because when they invaded it it was known for being very green and very wild. The Peninsula was divided into three provinces during the Roman empire which did NOT correspond with what modern Spain is.

Thus it is the Kingdom of Castille-Leon which the game is dealing with, a power which struggled to fight back the moors for various centuries.

Also I hope that the Principality of Catalonia/Kingdom of Aragon will have the Almugàvers as one of their unit. It was VERY annoying to see them as Portuguese units in M2TW because they have no connections whatsoever to the Portuguese!

Don't forget that the Catalans were the initiators of maritime law and the major sea power, together with venice and genoa (and the Turks) in the Mediterranean. Hopefully that will be reflected too.

Default Re: Catalonia and Castille

Totally agree!!
    Is a gold chance to improve the realism here to made Catalonia and Castille as separate factions with aproppiate names and units.
    Remeber Catalonia is a great power during Middle Ages

Hi gents,

Not to start a discussion, but ARAGON was a great power, not Catalonia, which is an even earlier invention than Spain.

Of course, I meant LATER invention, not earlier.

Grand Master Member Afonso I of Portugal's Avatar
    Lisboa, Portugal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Afonso_I_of_Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Maikiri
    Also I hope that the Principality of Catalonia/Kingdom of Aragon will have the Almugàvers as one of their unit. It was VERY annoying to see them as Portuguese units in M2TW because they have no connections whatsoever to the Portuguese!
    If you are talking about the free company of mercenary almughavars mainly of catalonian origin leaded by Roger de Flor you are right, but Almughavar/Almugàver or Almogavar (in Portuguese) is a general term OLDER than those mercenaries.

In general was a warrior knight, which leaded the almogavares, that both could be knights and pawns - light infantry with javelins and some with bows. In the Middle Ages was soldier of border troops, capable, by his training, strength, bravery and sobriety, to practice the more risky actions in the regions where the operations of war were always constant and active. They were also used as scouts, runners or riders in the Portuguese borders. I think this is the unit used in M2TW and if is that so, it's totaly accurate to see them as Portuguese units.
    "Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "What does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.
    "The main illnesses that attack the man comes from ignorance" - Voltaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Joh
    Hi gents,

Not to start a discussion, but ARAGON was a great power, not Catalonia, which is an even earlier invention than Spain.
    I don't mean to start a discussion either but to clear up my facts:

The count of Barcelona Married the princess of Aragon and together they united the states.

Aragon was a kingdom, and thus history remembers the "kingdom of Aragon". However, the real rulers of the period, the counts of Barcelona, denominated the counties of Barcelona, Urgell, Empuries,... could go on for some time.. as the "Principality of Catalonia", which had its distinct flag with the four red lines over a yellow background. The nobility in this principality had a lot of power and there was even a "parliament": "les corts catalanes" or "els cent".
    Still, the counts of Barcelona never called themselves kings of the principality, because it was not a kingdom.
    And about Aragon, let us not talk that it was not an important region in the union for it was not densely populated, rather poor and thus never developed the economy and the great number of nobility of Catalonia.

Just to clear stuff up, because Aragon never invaded the principality of Catalonia but a male heir of the house of barcelona and both nobilities were the key factors of the unification.