Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSARDOMS: TOTAL WAR - FIRST PREVIEW !!!

Davež, cjepidlaka, gnjavator Member matko's Avatar

Default TSARDOMS: TOTAL WAR - FIRST PREVIEW !!!

I'M PROUD TO PRESENT YOU:
    TSARDOMS: TOTAL WAR - FIRST PREVIEW

Factions in v1.00

Roman Catholic Christians
    Kingdom of Hungary
    Kingdom of Naples
    Republic of Venice

Orthodox Christians
    Tsardom of Serbia
    Tsardom of Bulgaria
    Byzantine Empire
    Principality of Wallachia

Muslims
    Ottoman Empire

Krstjani
    Banate of Bosnia

The following factions will be added in later mod versions: Duchy of Athens, Knights of Rhodes (Knights of St.John), Archduchy of Austria (the House of Hapsburg), Karamanid Emirate

Map

The map includes part of Italy, Balkans and Asia Minor and it will contain about hundred regions which will allow us to represent the area in a realistic fashion.

Flags and faction symbols

Tsardoms: Total War, in its final version, will include over 100 totally new flags and coats of arms.
    We take heraldry very seriously, so we decided to make a reconstruction of all primary sources made known to us. Here you can see results in some examples (made by matko and phoenix[illusion]):

The King of Hungary, The Ban of Bosnia, The Roman Emperor

Here you can see 4 randomly selected faction symbols (by Ave_Serbia):

Principality of Wallachia, The Empire of Romans, Knights of Rhodes, The Republic of Venice

Tsardom of Serbia: Units Part I
    ( all models and skins by phoenix[illusion] - except for the skins on horses )

"At first we were confused. The East thought that we were West, while the West considered us to be East. Some of us misunderstood our place in the clash of currents, so they cried that we belong to neither side- and others that we belong exclusively to one side or the other. But I tell you, Irenaeus, we are doomed by fate to be the East in the West and the West in the East, to acknowledge only heavenly Jerusalem beyond us, and here on earth--no one." - St. Sava (of Serbia) to Irenaeus, 13th century

Although Serbia has long been in the shadow of more powerful rivals in the Balkans like Byzantium, Hungary and Bulgaria, under the Nemanjic dynasty its influence and power grew significantly. In 1345, Serbia is a dominant power in the peninsula and one of the most serious contentenders, along with Ottomans, Hungarians and Venetians, for the legacy of Byzantium. The player who controls Serbia will have these units (among others) at his disposal...

Shielded Bowmen

Shielded Bowmen are the evolution of early Serbian archers. They are primarily archers, but unlike their predecessors they are armed with swords, carry shields for protection, and wear light armour. In battles they act as archers and they can fight melee but are not effective as standard infantry. They are best for weakening the enemy with a rain of arrows and for defending settlements. Historically-speaking, in feudal Serbia there was a class of people called vlasi (vlachs) who were cattle breeders. They had an obligation to provide certain number of soldiers and were archers in Serbian armies. In the famous Battle of Velbužd (1330) they inflicted great losses on Bulgarian army.

Upgraded Shielded Bowmen

Heavy Infantry

Historically, there were free people in high feudalism in Serbia who weren’t meropsi (peasants), but neither had they income enough to buy horses and expensive cavalry equipment (like vlastela). Because of that they became infantry (ordinary called vojnici) and formed a class called vlastelcici, the lowest ranked nobility. These soldiers are covered with mail, have a round shield and are armed with a sword. The unit can be upgraded with better armour and then the soldiers will wear scale and lamellar armour (like on these pictures).

Serbian Speramen

Historically, there were free people in high feudalism in Serbia who weren’t meropsi (peasants), but neither had they enough incomes to buy horses and expensive cavalry equipment (like vlastela). Because of that they became infantry (ordinary called vojnici) and formed a class which was called vlastelcici, the lowest ranked nobility. These soldiers are covered with mail, have a large round shield and are armed with a spear.

Horsearchers

Serbian Horsearchers are light missile cavalrymen drawn from various nations popular known as Turcopoles. These cavalrymen are armed with bows and arrows and in close combat they use swords and sabres. For protection they use smaller shields and light armour which allow them higher maneuverability. Historically, they were mercenaries hired from Cumans, Turks, Alans and Tatars and were heavily hired in time of King Milutin (1282-1321). He used them mostly in several civil wars with his brother Dragutin and for special tasks when he couldn’t rely on the Serbian nobility. In 1321 he sent a unit of 2000 Cuman Turcopoles to help Andronicus II to hold his rule in Roman Empire

Upgraded Horsearchers

Auxilia Cavalry

These horseman, recruited from among the lower nobility, are armed in Byzantine fashion. Their equipment consists from a scale/lemellar loricon,
    mail protection for arms and legs and an open helmet. They use spears and swords in combat.
    In a beginning of the 14th century they were seen as heavy calvary but now (in the year 1345), with the development of the plate armour, they should be considered as medium cavalry. Auxilia are a support cavalry for heavier troops like Vlastela; they cannot defeat western style knights in a direct battle but their speed and manoeuverability makes them useful on the battlefield.

And it is important to mention that we have got permission from DisgruntledGoat to use his beautiful skins for Byzantine Empire.
    Skins on horses that you see in pictures above are his.

Gameplay

Tsardoms will bring many changes to gameplay to reflect our aim of striking a perfect balance between gameplay and historical plausability. More realistic economy, harder and longer sieges, improved recruting system, realistic population growth, more buildings etc.

Ok, ideje/ideas, misljenja/opinions i/and kritike/criticism su/are dobrodosli/welcome...

In the next preview you can expect: more information about gameplay and the map (and some in-game screenshots), the rest of the Serbian units (the mighty Vlastela heavy cavalry, Gusars light cavalry...), and maybe even some units from the Banate of Bosnia.
    Stay tuned for more information

PS
    I want to use this opportunity to congratulate the whole team. We worked hard and now tw are proud to show the result !
    TSARDOMS TOTAL WAR CO-LEADER

From most beatifull city on dunjaluk Mostar,Bosna..now in cold Norway thanks to neighbouring primitives...

Default Re: TSARDOMS: TOTAL WAR - FIRST PREVIEW !!!

It looks very good phoenix, congratz to your team. Textures look very cool, keep it up. For now they look awsome, as mod progresses you can add more difference to individual soldiers in units. Its just eye candy, but makes huge difference...anyway, awsome work.

"At first we were confused. The East thought that we were West, while the West considered us to be East. Some of us misunderstood our place in the clash of currents, so they cried that we belong to neither side- and others that we belong exclusively to one side or the other. But I tell you, Irenaeus, we are doomed by fate to be the East in the West and the West in the East, to acknowledge only heavenly Jerusalem beyond us, and here on earth--no one." - St. Sava (of Serbia) to Irenaeus, 13th century
    I enjoyed this...how true, how true indeed.

I liked that you will have a lot of heraldry. I wondered have you thought of implementing something like mod Blood, Broads, & Bastards? I think something like that would be kickass.

PS! Ovo je isti comment ko sa twcenter.net, samo sam paste and copy :)

You say wrong things at wrong times ALL the time!
    You'r mouth is like a fabric of mistakes!- Lana (My Girlfriend)

Smile Re: TSARDOMS: TOTAL WAR - FIRST PREVIEW !!!

This is really great guys..You did a fine job.I would just like to say,you should consider adding crossbows into Serbian army..Keep on with the good work This is gonna be the best mod

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

What does Krstjani mean?
    I love these new units! Especially the Horse Archers and the Auxilia Cavalrymen.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

This is awesome! Can't wait to see more work on this mod. Keep it up guys

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmenian
    What does Krstjani mean?
    I love these new units! Especially the Horse Archers and the Auxilia Cavalrymen.
    The Bosnian Church (crkva bosanska, ecclesia bosniensis) is historically thought to be an indigenous branch of the Bogomils that existed in Bosnia during the Middle Ages. Adherents of the church called themselves simply Krstjani ("Christians"). The church no longer exists,

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmenian
    What does Krstjani mean?
    and Krstjeni were considered to be heretics from booth Catholic and Orthodox church. Hungary called several small crusades to drive them out of Bosnia. Actually is not entirely clear were they heretic in dogmatic way. But it seems that they had connections with Catharism and Patarinism from northern Italy. That implies some dualistic teachings in Bosnian church.
    Last edited by matko; 10-28-2007 at 10:28.

New Zealand, colony of the glorious British Empire.

Wow, this looks like it's really coming together, which is good to see. Keep us posted, and keep up the great work!

-Max
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women.

KWOH!!! That preview made me moist... IN MY EYES!!!!

This mod really looks great, what a wonderful treat of previews for my first mod progress checkup since returning from three weeks in Japan!!! I was worried i would come back to another dead mod but this seems more alive then ever... WONDERFUL!

A couple of questions concerning heraldry... I noticed you chose the Angevin Hungarian heraldry as a faction symbol and as the banner of the king of Hungary. Although I apprrove of your choice as a banner of Hungary, I believe it would be more appropriate to use the tradional Arpad stripes on left, cross on hills on right system as a faction symbol, as the Angevin mixture was only used in the early reign of the Angevin kings in an attempt to assert their authority. During the reign of Lajos the Great (Louis the First) (1342 - 1382) the crest with stripes and cross appeared frequently in wood cuts and tapestries, and continues to appear through to the reign of Ulazslo the first (1440 -1444). During the reign of Mathias Corvinus the coat of arms depicting the Arpad crown as a crest with the corss and stripes on the shield was officially used, with a combination of his own family crest: a crow, and the hungarian and bohemian crests being employed as a royal seal and banner. So, The Angevin crest would be appropriate for a King's banner, while the (due to the more frewuent occurence of the hungarian as a opposed to the sporatic appearance of the angevin coat of arms) Stripes & Cross should be used as the faction's symbol.

Speaking of Mathias Corvinus (sorry if this is off topic for this thread), are you going to factor in the emergence of the hunyadi family against the turks in the mod, and if you do will you give them to the Wallachian faction or the Hungarian faction?
    For his betrayal, his eyes were gouged out and molten lead poured in his ears...

Native Balkanian Member Milos98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vazul's Ghost
    KWOH!!! That preview made me moist... IN MY EYES!!!!

This mod really looks great, what a wonderful treat of previews for my first mod progress checkup since returning from three weeks in Japan!!! I was worried i would come back to another dead mod but this seems more alive then ever... WONDERFUL!
    This mod cant die, its dev team is immortal :)
    HOWGH!

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

A couple of questions concerning heraldry... I noticed you chose the Angevin Hungarian heraldry as a faction symbol and as the banner of the king of Hungary. Although I apprrove of your choice as a banner of Hungary, I believe it would be more appropriate to use the tradional Arpad stripes on left, cross on hills on right system as a faction symbol, as the Angevin mixture was only used in the early reign of the Angevin kings in an attempt to assert their authority. During the reign of Lajos the Great (Louis the First) (1342 - 1382) the crest with stripes and cross appeared frequently in wood cuts and tapestries, and continues to appear through to the reign of Ulazslo the first (1440 -1444). During the reign of Mathias Corvinus the coat of arms depicting the Arpad crown as a crest with the corss and stripes on the shield was officially used, with a combination of his own family crest: a crow, and the hungarian and bohemian crests being employed as a royal seal and banner. So, The Angevin crest would be appropriate for a King's banner, while the (due to the more frewuent occurence of the hungarian as a opposed to the sporatic appearance of the angevin coat of arms) Stripes & Cross should be used as the faction's symbol.

Speaking of Mathias Corvinus (sorry if this is off topic for this thread), are you going to factor in the emergence of the hunyadi family against the turks in the mod, and if you do will you give them to the Wallachian faction or the Hungarian faction?
    Considering the first part, you will have to wait for Matko, our expert for Hungary and heraldry.

Considering Hunyadi, we don't plan that much ahead. First we want to finish units and map, then we will do buildings, recruitment and economy. After that we need to test everything, balance it, and we will se how much scripting we're gonna use.

Personaly, I'm against heavy scripting. For example, we could see Byzantium absorbed by Bulgaria which continued to fight the ottomans and in that case Hunyadi appearance would be totaly needless.

thanks for the kind words.

as you already know only one flag can be used for general and it cant be changed during the game (unless you do it manually).
    but "small" xp flags are not the same all the time. later when units get upgrades additional flags appear - ant then an Hunyadi banners will appear.

politics about heraldry - we go to the reconstruction of events in exact year and thats 1345. so all "big" flags in game will have Anjou symbols on them.
    we had similar problem in with Serbia since Tzar Dušan was the only one who used red eagle on gold background. And don't forget that in mtw2 you are tied to a certain dynasty. If they die out completely you lose the game. So you will simple have to lead Anjou family in their brave attempt to rule the Balkans.

unfortunately I think that this is impossible to make because of mtw2 limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by matko
    thanks for the kind words.
    Youre Welcome, well deserved!

as you already know only one flag can be used for general and it cant be changed during the game (unless you do it manually).
    but "small" xp flags are not the same all the time. later when units get upgrades additional flags appear - ant then an Hunyadi banners will appear.
    Cool, it will be interesting to see the occasional flag there... its good to know that you are going into that much detail.

politics about heraldry - we go to the reconstruction of events in exact year and thats 1345. so all "big" flags in game will have Anjou symbols on them.
    we had similar problem in with Serbia since Tzar Dušan was the only one who used red eagle on gold background. And don't forget that in mtw2 you are tied to a certain dynasty. If they die out completely you lose the game. So you will simple have to lead Anjou family in their brave attempt to rule the Balkans.
    Ok in that case I have no objection, although many Angevin kings used the Cross/Arpad hills crest as a royal signet it is still pretty accurate to have it as a faction symbol if youre going to use a dynastic factions system. in my opinion the cross & hills should still appear on banners though...

unfortunately I think that this is impossible to make because of mtw2 limitations.
    Thats a shame, but if your going to use a dynastic factions system then having a Corvinian king would be technicall losing anyway... Keep up the good work!
    For his betrayal, his eyes were gouged out and molten lead poured in his ears...

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Anarzius's Avatar

Last edited by Anarzius; 10-17-2013 at 20:45.

Vazul's Ghost:

on xp flags of Hungary you can find:

Angevin - fleur de lis
    red-white stripes
    double crosses (5x - I think thats enough)
    coat of arms of noble families:
    Garai
    Banffy
    Hunyadi
    Cilli
    Lackfi
    Frankapan

so you will be satisfied

for pictures you will have to wait for our next preview

I can't wait for this. Finally, a decent mod with a really interesting situation. I can't wait to take on the Venetians and the Ottomans and restore the Byzantine Empire :-D

Hey Medieval 2 Total war is great strategy game, maybe one of the best strategy game ever include games like Stronghold and Age of empiers ,but i am very disappointed because Serbia is not on the game, and than i see that you make that patch and that patch is GREAT but can i download it and if i can where?

Default AW: TSARDOMS: TOTAL WAR - FIRST PREVIEW !!!

keep it up!
    i really missed serbia (and the others, too) in the maingame, when i play, hungary rules everything there at round 20....
    that's so boring.....

I look forward to this, good work untill now

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldinho10
    Hey Medieval 2 Total war is great strategy game, maybe one of the best strategy game ever include games like Stronghold and Age of empiers ,but i am very disappointed because Serbia is not on the game, and than i see that you make that patch and that patch is GREAT but can i download it and if i can where?
    We are working on it and when is done there will be link on this pod-forum for download

Ok, boys and girls, this is just something to wet your apetite while you are waiting for the second preview. As you have seen from the first preview, we take pride in our heraldry. These flags are done, again, by Matko.

(Mrnjavcevic, Vojinovic, Kobilic)

(infantry and archers banners)

And now something totaly new! Just a hint of new structures that will be present in Tsardoms when it's finished. By names of the buildings you can conclude that economy is gonna get a huge overhaul and will be an important part of the overall strategy for domination. These buildings are work of Il_Duce and Milos98... Expect more info on the buildings in the near future...

And, as always, stay tuned for more information :thumbsup2

Tsardoms: Total War team

Something for our Bulgarian friends: a Bulgarian infantry banner with Sv. Ivan Rilsky and cavalry banner with St. George. Hope you like them.

AND IN GAME IT LOOKS LIKE THIS:

mm

i like all this stuff as i can see by screenshots you got really far with this mod , good work .

like the banners too .

all in all cool

when can we expect first release

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy spong
    when can we expect first release
    We working hard on it

Something for our Bulgarian friends: a Bulgarian infantry banner with Sv. Ivan Rilsky and cavalry banner with St. George. Hope you like them.

AND IN GAME IT LOOKS LIKE THIS:

mm
    Very nice banners :) In our mod bulgarian banners are almost same ;)

If you want some help write here...
    http://www.takeforum.com/btw/viewfor...=19&mforum=btw

Keep up the good work!

well if it is near finished , release beta i think we are all curious to know what it is gonna look like

Quote Originally Posted by alien_t
    Very nice banners :) In our mod bulgarian banners are almost same ;)

If you want some help write here...
    http://www.takeforum.com/btw/viewfor...=19&mforum=btw

Keep up the good work!
    You have some great stuff over there, I'll PM leaders of the team .

jimmy spong
    well if it is near finished , release beta i think we are all curious to know what it is gonna look like
    It's not near finished, it's big job, total coversion of game!
    Last edited by Tsar; 12-11-2007 at 01:55.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy spong
    It's not near finished. it's still far from being finished. Serbia is almost done, but we are still doing other factions...

full conversion ? whoa i thought it is gonna be you now , change script map and facts but okay then , keep the

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast