Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fanatic’s First Cohort/Phalanx/Elephant/Chariot minimod

Default Fanatic’s Phalanx/Aquilifer Mod 1.1

The Phalanx/Aquilifer Mod Patch 1.2 Compatible

My Christmas gift to the EB Community.

In case you are wondering why elephants and chariots are mentioned in the title, this is because they used to be bugged. They were fixed in 1.1 though and so I have minimized the area of modification to the phalanx units. There is also an Aquilifer mod if you want Aquilifers for your first cohorts.

I will give the download links immediately for those of you who don’t want to bother trudging through all that text. Both are savegame compatible.

Download the Phalanx Mod here:
    http://files.filefront.com/Phalanx+M.../fileinfo.html

Download the Aquilifer Mod here:
    http://files.filefront.com/Eagle+bea.../fileinfo.html

To install the Phalanx Mod, simply extract into the folder you have installed EB into (it is probably called Rome: Total War unless you have changed it). DO NOT extract into your EB mod folder (which is contained inside your Rome: Total War folder). Directions on how to install the Aquilifer Mod are included at the bottom of this post. You may want to back up your export_descr_unit files in case you decide you want to revert back to vanilla. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help.

To avoid confusion, here is a brief overview of terms I use:
    Macedonian phalanx - Any unit with the “phalanx” special ability uses what I term the Macedonian phalanx.
    Classical or Hoplite phalanx - Any unit that fights in the hoplite-style phalanx. These units are easily recognizable by name or description. The hoplite phalanx is a tightly packed formation with overlapping shields and spears protruding from above, an impenetrable wall of bronze, iron and oak, an implacable force made seemingly not of individuals but a single inexorable contraption, an…OK you get the idea, I’ll stop.

NOTE: Despite that last comment, I am not a phalanx fan boy. Phalanx units—particularly Macedonian phalanxes—are not necessarily improved with this mod. And I like the Celtic factions best if that means anything…

NOTE # 2: Guard mode is no longer necessary! You do not need it. You fight better without it and can still keep a cohesive formation. Also, you no longer need to stand still and receive a charge. Hoplites now deliver a crushing charge and will maintain formation while (and after) doing so. Thanks to Barrabas for pointing this out.

Here is a brief overview of the changes made in the Phalanx Mod (Scroll down to see the Aquilifer and how to install it.):

-to Macedonian phalanxes: -.03 spear lethality, -1 sword attack, -2 armor, + 2 defense skill; given spear attribute (light_spear attribute removed).
    What this means: Although Macedonian phalanxes maintain their attack ratings, decreased lethality causes their hits to knock opponents down more frequently (rather than kill). The decrease in armor is made up for in head on contests (when unit is in phalanx) by the increase in skill, which effects melee defense from the front and left (shield) sides; armor effects missile and melee defense from all sides. Thus, Macedonian phalanxes are now more vulnerable to missiles fired from any direction, but particularly at their exposed rear and flanks. They are also more vulnerable to flanking attacks. The spear attribute makes them push more and harder (something phalanxes were very good at). The downside to this attribute is that it can make units push so hard that their formation loses cohesion.

-to Classical (Hoplite) phalanxes: -.02 spear lethality, -2 armor, + 2 shield defense, +3 charge bonus; given short_pike attribute; given spear attribute (light_spear attribute removed).
    What this means: See Macedonian phalanxes. The changes are similar except that hoplites receive an increase in shield defense rather than defense skill. This is because hoplite phalanxes in EB do not use phalanx, and thus are not nearly as resistant to missiles from the front and left side as are the Macedonian variety, whose shield defense is doubled when in phalanx.
    Hoplites too get a reduction in lethality so as to better reflect hoplite warfare. Casualties were generally few until one formation or another broke from the extreme force of the pressing phalanx--that was when the real killing began. The spear attribute makes them push more and harder (something hoplites were very good at). The downside to this attribute is that it can make units push so hard that they break formation. In combination with a cohesive formation trait such as the short_pike attribute, however, they maintain formation and the ability to push hard.
    The biggest change here is indeed the short_pike attribute. This does a number of things. First, it shrinks their spears from approximately twelve feet in length to nine. Twelve feet is simply inaccurately long for classical hoplites or Spartiates.
    The other effects I will show below with screen shots.

BEFORE:

They march with the tops of their spears magically dragging beneath the ground and their butt spikes in the air.
    AFTER:

They march with spears held level and pointed forward.

BEFORE:

They break formation and charge like unorganized rabble.
    AFTER:

They stay in a tight, orderly formation and slam into the enemy as one - an invincible, unstoppable phalanx.

BEFORE:

They fight like barbarians, individuals fighting for personal glory with no resemblance of a formation.
    AFTER:

They fight like, well, a phalanx! A single, implacable body pushing the enemy backwards with great force until they finally break and run.

Here is the Aquilifer. Screenshot taken by hooahguy.

Here is a “How To” guide on installation:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is for those of you who want to have eagle bearers in your first cohorts.

First things first, remember to work in your RTW/EB/Data folder, not your RTW/Data folder. RTW/Data has vanilla RTW's files in it, RTW/EB/Data has EB's files in it.

For those of you who play on ALEX.exe, you may not have to remove a unit in order to add this Aquilifer (but I don't know for sure, I don't have it myself). The rest of you probably have to. So the first step is to entirely remove the unit of your choice from your game. I chose praetorian cavalry since they are heavily bugged in my game and make black lines flash all over my screen (some people have this problem, you may not). To do this, you must remove all text entries related to that unit from all of the following files:
    export_descr_unit, export_descr_buildings, export_text, descr_model_battle, and descr_strat. There will only be text for this unit in the descr_strat file if the unit is there at the start of the campaign, because (as you modders know) the descr_strat file deals only with the campaign. So, for example, there are entries for hastati in descr_strat, but there are not entries for praetorian cavalry (the latter doesn't appear until the Augustan reforms).

How do you remove text? It's quite simple. You will find a block of text for that particular unit with a blank line before it and a blank line after it. Simply delete this block of text. The exceptions are the descr_model_battle and descr_strat files, which have single lines for a unit (often repeated over and over again). You will need to use cntrl+f in order to search for the particular unit you want to remove.

Once that's finished, it's time to add the Aquilifer. Here's how:

First, place the CAS file provided into your models_unit folder. Then, place the TGA and DDS files your textures folder, which is located inside of your models_unit folder.

Now, open your descr_model_battle file. Copy and paste this follow block of text anywhere in the file, but be sure to leave a line before and after it so it is clearly separated from the other entries.

type roman_eagle
    skeleton fs_standard_bearer
    indiv_range 40
    texture seleucid, eb/data/models_unit/textures/SPQR_OFFICER_JULII_STANDARD_AQUILIFIER_LATE.TGA
    model_flexi_m eb/data/models_unit/unit_trigger_aquilifier.cas, 8
    model_flexi_m eb/data/models_unit/unit_trigger_aquilifier.cas, 15
    model_flexi_m eb/data/models_unit/unit_trigger_aquilifier.cas, 30
    model_flexi_m eb/data/models_unit/unit_trigger_aquilifier.cas, 40
    model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/unit_trigger_aquilifier.cas, max
    model_sprite seleucid, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/officers/ebsprite_officer_all.spr
    model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5

I highly recommended installing my phalanx mod (if you want it) prior to doing this next step. If you wait till after doing this next step to install it, then your files will be overwritten and your work made obsolete.

Lastly, open your export_descr_unit file. Press cntrl-f and search for your first cohort units. The dictionary entries are "roman infantry first legionary cohort i" and "roman infantry first legionary cohort ii". The former is for the post-marian first cohort, the latter for the imperial first cohort.

You will see that each unit has two officers, a centurion and a standard bearer. Below all the other officers, copy and paste the below line of text on its own line:

officer roman_eagle

It should look like this (you can just copy and paste these over your own entries if you want):

;524
    type roman infantry first legionary cohort i
    dictionary roman_infantry_legionary_first_cohort_i ; First Cohort
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type General_1
    soldier roman_infantry_cohorsreformata, 50, 0, 1.2
    officer ebofficer_roman_centurion
    officer ebofficer_roman_early_standard
    officer roman_eagle
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, very_hardy, command, legionary_name
    formation 1, 2, 2, 3, 5, square, testudo
    stat_health 1, 1
    stat_pri 5, 4, pilum, 36.8, 2, thrown, blade, piercing, spear, 15 ,1
    stat_pri_attr prec, thrown, ap
    stat_sec 11, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 0 ,0.13
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 10, 10, 4, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 4
    stat_ground 0, 0, -2, -2
    stat_mental 15, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 1914, 479, 100, 160, 1914
    ownership seleucid

;242
    type roman infantry legionary cohort ii
    dictionary roman_infantry_legionary_cohort_ii ; Cohortes Imperatoria
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type General_1
    soldier roman_infantry_cohorsimperatoria_evocata, 50, 0, 1.18
    officer ebofficer_roman_standard
    officer roman_eagle
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, hardy
    stat_health 1, 1
    stat_pri 4, 4, pilum, 35, 2, thrown, blade, piercing, spear, 15 ,1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 10, 8, 4, metal
    stat_heat 4
    stat_ground 0, 0, -2, -2
    stat_mental 14, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 1790, 448, 100, 160, 1790
    ownership seleucid, slave

;525
    type roman infantry first legionary cohort ii
    dictionary roman_infantry_legionary_first_cohort_ii ; Cohortes Imperatoria
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type General_1
    soldier roman_infantry_cohorsimperatoria_evocata, 50, 0, 1.2
    officer ebofficer_roman_standard
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, very_hardy, command, legionary_name
    stat_health 1, 1
    stat_pri 5, 4, pilum, 36.8, 2, thrown, blade, piercing, spear, 15 ,1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 10, 10, 4, metal
    stat_heat 4
    stat_ground 0, 0, -2, -2
    stat_mental 15, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 1914, 479, 100, 160, 1914
    ownership Seleucid

Remember to make these changes to both your multiplayer and singleplayer export_descr_unit files!

Credit for this beautiful Aquilifer goes to lt1956, creator of the SPQR mod!
    Last edited by TWFanatic; 12-15-2008 at 20:25. Reason: UPDATED FOR PATCH 1.2
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Thumbs up Re: Fanatic’s First Cohort/Phalanx/Elephant/Chariot minimod

Thanks a lot, I'll try it out the 'chocolate' straight away!

Gisgo Governer of Ippone Member madmatg's Avatar

Default Re: Fanatic’s First Cohort/Phalanx/Elephant/Chariot minimod

so after 30 days should we uninstall or send in money to get the activaton code?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    im such a nerd

btw im doin chocolate fo sho
    Last edited by madmatg; 10-29-2007 at 09:48.

Phil 2:9-11 Phil 4:4

Hi!

I think I found a bug. After installing chocolate, I loaded up the custom_edu for some custom battle aquilifier action. However, as I load the battle the game crashes. I get the following info:

model database failed to load model eb/data/models_unit/unit_trigger_aquilifier.cas

Looking through the folder, there is no such .cas file. I think you might have forgotten to ad the .cas file to the 'eb/data/models_unit/' folder in the installer.

Or maybe I fucked something up when installing.... :)

im also getting an error when i try to start a new campaign with KH, it says in descr_regions.txt at line 23 column 67
    unrecognized: 'city' as a region resource class

im just gonna dl MAA city mod from his thread and replace that regions file

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Thanks! I presume it's not save-game compatible? Will I have to drop my 231BC Romani campaign to play this?
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

It should be save game compatible unless you currently have praetorian cavalry in your campaign. I know it's working with my campaign.

@Barrabas: Woah! Very sorry, I forgot to include the model file. I'll fix this then upload the fixed version ASAP. You can just extract the fixed version over the old, bugged version.

EDIT: Done!

@madmatg: I didn't touch the descr_regions file. Any problems there should have nothing to do with this mod.
    Last edited by TWFanatic; 10-29-2007 at 15:19.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers

Be careful with the short pike phalanx, in my tests I found it too vulnerable to frontal cavalry charges, almost as if infantry had no mass.
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Great, they are working fine now.

Very nice aquilifier! Impressive details (like face, for example).

Oh, I almost forgot. Are the First Cohorts 'nameable' in campaign, as MarcusAureliusAntoninus's are (I'm referring to his AAR). And if so, how do you rename them? Just like you would a city?
    Last edited by Barrabas; 10-29-2007 at 17:52.

Be careful with the short pike phalanx, in my tests I found it too vulnerable to frontal cavalry charges, almost as if infantry had no mass.
    Hmm, in my tests hoplites were almost invulnerable from the front to everything except for Macedonian phalanxes (which are still superior to hoplites head-on), other hoplites and a few, highly elite units. Perhaps this is because of the raised shield defense.

Great, they are working fine now.

Very nice aquilifier! Impressive details (like face, for example).

Oh, I almost forgot. Are the First Cohorts 'nameable' in campaign, as MarcusAureliusAntoninus's are (I'm referring to his AAR). And if so, how do you rename them? Just like you would a city?
    They are not, because unfortunately I do not know how to make them nameable. I will scavenge the scriptorium for tutorials when I get home from work. Hopefully I'll learn how.
    Last edited by TWFanatic; 10-29-2007 at 18:07.

thank ya sir, i'll have to figure out what the problem is with that

Hmm... Nice! I'll try it out then. Thanks!
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

I have a problem with the hoplites...I've downloaded and installed chocolate version, but the hoplites still use the old method of holding their spears. I don't see the difference between how they hold their spears...am I suppose to change a certain aspect of the edu?
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Look at before and after screen shots. Are your hoplites marching and fighting like those in the after screen shots? If so, the mod is working. And there is no reason it shouldn't...

Please note, however, that Massilian hoplites cannot use the short_pike attribute because they have two weapons (spear and longsword).

Hey fanatic, I have trouble installing the files. When I try extracting the data folder i get this message;

! C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny Sum\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DI28.735\'Chocolate' First Cohort, Phalanx, Elephant and Chariot minimod.zip: Cannot open C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny Sum\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DI28.735\'Chocolate' First Cohort, Phalanx, Elephant and Chariot minimod.zip
    ! The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm a novice here, do you mind giving a step by step guide to installin this?

EDIT: Another thing, when I extract the folder nothing gets replaced.
    Last edited by Mr Durian; 11-01-2007 at 08:57.
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

So, wait is the "short pike" Phalanxes "Phalanxes"(RTW wise) or do they just look like it?

And if they're not phalanxes why add the spear attribute?

I heard that severely messes up stats.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Quote Originally Posted by TWFanatic
    Look at before and after screen shots. Are your hoplites marching and fighting like those in the after screen shots? If so, the mod is working. And there is no reason it shouldn't...

Please note, however, that Massilian hoplites cannot use the short_pike attribute because they have two weapons (spear and longsword).
    Yeh, I've installed the chocolate full mods and the hoplites still fight like an unorganized rabble. :/
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

short_pike can be added as an attribute to the spear. shouldnt make a difference if there is a sword as well...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    So, wait is the "short pike" Phalanxes "Phalanxes"(RTW wise) or do they just look like it?

short_pike does not add the phalanx formation
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Durian
    Hey fanatic, I have trouble installing the files. When I try extracting the data folder i get this message;

! C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny Sum\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DI28.735\'Chocolate' First Cohort, Phalanx, Elephant and Chariot minimod.zip: Cannot open C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny Sum\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$DI28.735\'Chocolate' First Cohort, Phalanx, Elephant and Chariot minimod.zip
    ! The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm a novice here, do you mind giving a step by step guide to installin this?

EDIT: Another thing, when I extract the folder nothing gets replaced.

That's very odd. I'll edit the topic post and insert a brief installation tutorial for those who need it.

EDIT: done.

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu
    short_pike can be added as an attribute to the spear. shouldnt make a difference if there is a sword as well...
    Try it yourself. Trust me, it doesn't work - I spent an hour trying to make it work and failed.

Yeh, I've installed the chocolate full mods and the hoplites still fight like an unorganized rabble. :/
    Read the installation tutorial and re-install. You must have done something wrong.

See the AFTER pictures. They fight in a similar manner as before (no Macedonian phalanx, overhand spears) except that they keep a cohesive formation and have a lot more push. The stats have also been changed, see the changes mentioned for hoplites in the title post. The spear attribute gives them far more push. And no, it does not mess up their stats.

Please read the title post. All I did above was basically restate what was already said there.
    Last edited by TWFanatic; 11-01-2007 at 17:21.

Read the installation tutorial and re-install. You must have done something wrong.

I just extracted the zipped file, got an EB folder, and just transfered the chocolate version into my main EB folder... :/

I pretty sure I installed everything correctly
    Last edited by Intranetusa; 11-01-2007 at 17:35.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa
    I just extracted the zipped file, got an EB folder, and just transfered the chocolate version into my main EB folder... :/

I pretty sure I installed everything correctly
    And it still doesn't work? If so, I don't know what to say...other than that the problem is at your end.

EDIT: Test with a few different hoplite units...there is a possibility that I could have skipped over one.
    Last edited by TWFanatic; 11-01-2007 at 17:44.

And it still doesn't work? If so, I don't know what to say...other than that the problem is at your end.
    Well, I'm using the Camillan Roman Triaris, could that be a reason? (they don't have the short pike attribute?)

or is it because I installed BI & v1.6 but am playing on regular?
    -Albert Einstein

Intranetusa:
    Are you using the defend/guard (D-button) mode on your units?

Also, I have learned something about naming legions.
    Apparently BI allows for a new unit attribute in the EDU, 'legionary_name'. Then you have to edit some other files too, Zaknafien describes it briefly here (post #44):
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...t=94117&page=2

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems doable. I looked in the original first cohort mod, and there are some clues as to what to change. I think Zaknafien has done a more advanced version of it though.
    Last edited by Barrabas; 11-01-2007 at 17:56.

I know nothing about BI, I don't even own it. But Camilan Triarii do have the short_pike attribute. They fight like any other hoplites.

Intranetusa:
    Are you using the defend/guard (D-button) mode on your units?
    Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, you no longer need guard mode (you should turn itoff). You may also charge your hoplites like any other unit.

Also, I have learned something about naming legions.
    Apparently BI allows for a new unit attribute in the EDU, 'legionary_name'. Then you have to edit some other files too, Zaknafien describes it briefly here (post #44):
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...t=94117&page=2

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems doable. I looked in the original first cohort mod, and there are some clues as to what to change. I think Zaknafien has done a more advanced version of it though.
    Ty, good find. I'll look into this when I get home from work.

Check these pages out:
    -http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...cohorts&page=2
    -http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=First+cohorts
    I tried to find how to do it like Cunctator did: numbering the legions I to infinity. Unfortunately, at the point where I am now, all I get is "Legion".
    Maybe actually asking them might yield more results?
    Anyway, fantastic mod!
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

I know nothing about BI, I don't even own it. But Camilan Triarii do have the short_pike attribute. They fight like any other hoplites.

Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, you no longer need guard mode (you should turn itoff). You may also charge your hoplites like any other unit.

Ty, good find. I'll look into this when I get home from work.
    Ok, thanks a lot. Fixed the problem :)
    -Albert Einstein

I know nothing about BI, I don't even own it.

Could this be the reason why the mod wont install, because I have BI installed?
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

You need to extract 'Chocolate' archive, and copy 'EB' folder from it to your RTW main folder (with exe).
    Last edited by Charge; 11-01-2007 at 21:34.

Charge has sent me Imperial First Cohort unit cards (thank you!). If you downloaded this mod prior to 00:30 GMT November second, you did not get it. You can download it in the title post as a seperate download (so it's quick).

Ok, thanks a lot. Fixed the problem :)
    Great!
    Last edited by TWFanatic; 11-02-2007 at 01:35.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast