Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: ALEXANDER EB

Default Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Can anyone upload chat_filter.san and RomeTW-ALX.exe on megashare.com or rapidshare.com... Please!

That would be uttelry illegal...
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax
    That would be uttelry illegal...
    why? its not an exe file...

people ask for and receive vanilla RTW/BI EDUs, DMBs. etc all the time...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

RomeTW-ALX.exe is the alex executable...
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Wink Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Zarax.. come on man.. Upload some of your campaign if you can target some AI moves that are 'new' or at lest some opinion we can all comment ..
    I would .. but the way I play is just ..'fight all the time and don't end your turn often'.. so I don't have much pictures..
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:33.
    “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

Quote Originally Posted by Little Legioner
    Pls upload Maksimus.
    I did not answer or upload the files because if I do you will have to hand-delete some folders - because 'imperial_campaign' that is renamed with 'Alexander' can not owerwriten - it can just be renamed.. so sorry
    You are going to have to follow the instructions..

but have a baloon!

and a dancer! that should be a motivation to do it manualy
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:34.

I tried it too, but I did not have BI so I just installed Alex over RTW 1.5 and used the tricks in the first post to start EB. Technically, it works great, no crash in 30 something in-game years.
    The tactical battles seem more interesting, but the strategic game killed me. I started with the Sweboz and I was pretty OK, until one turn, in the 230s, I attacked one of those huge armies of Eleutheroi with two silver chevrons, lead by one guy called Sakes, or something. I fight the battle, I win, but with 50% losses. Then I siege the city. Next turn, what do you think? A full stack of veterans/elite Eleutheroi attacks me from the back, lead by, guess who, Sakes. Never happened to me in RTW 1.5, so Alex falls over the edge of my hard drive, back to RTW for me.

Angry Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Well, the Ai is good allright.. but I got my CTD on Alex after this

Must win again
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:34.

theres no way we can resume a BI game with this though eh? not even messing with that map.rwn or something file

Post Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

I think that I am not sure at all.. I would like if someone from the EB team would pop-up here and say a word about that..
    Maybe there are ways.. but I don't know them yet
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:35.

I'd imagine a BI save won't work on Alex. About the EB team's advice on this, I don't know if any of the members even own ATW.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidvvan
    The tactical battles seem more interesting, but the strategic game killed me. I started with the Sweboz and I was pretty OK, until one turn, in the 230s, I attacked one of those huge armies of Eleutheroi with two silver chevrons, lead by one guy called Sakes, or something. I fight the battle, I win, but with 50% losses. Then I siege the city. Next turn, what do you think? A full stack of veterans/elite Eleutheroi attacks me from the back, lead by, guess who, Sakes. Never happened to me in RTW 1.5, so Alex falls over the edge of my hard drive, back to RTW for me.
    I think that one is actually a EB 1.0 feature to make conquering the Alps difficult, time consuming and not worth it. I wouldn't switch back because of it.
    Last edited by Thaatu; 11-11-2007 at 10:50.

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

My custom battles no longer work, when I go to start a battle it just dumps me back to the faction selection screen, anyone else getting this?

Cool Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Quote Originally Posted by overweightninja
    My custom battles no longer work, when I go to start a battle it just dumps me back to the faction selection screen, anyone else getting this?
    Yes, it is just 'missed' in my post to get Alex working.. I think I will find a way and edit the first post
    note: I am actualy sure the custom are going to work - the pattern of edits are the same as on BI.exe - will work on it!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:35.

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimus
    Yes, it is just 'missed' in my post to get Alex working.. I think I will find a way and edit the first post
    note: I am actualy sure the custom are going to work - the pattern of edits are the same as on BI.exe - will work on it!
    Great I'll find the steps for BI and just adjust for alex then, cheers!

Smile Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Sorry.. I just can't fix the custom battle bug!

But I have uploaded my files that are needed to play EB 1 on Alex.exe
    There is some things aded.. you wont get a CTD when entering Custom battle - but you wont be able to play custom
    sorry

It is FIXED!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:37.

Well, I am playing for a while now on Alex.. I can't tell you more on AI based on te lands it has - because I play more battles then turns, so I am in 268 bc.
    Destroyed Macedon, Romans and fighting for Sparta curently (had some probs in battle CTDs when I lost a 4 turns loading game without the option to activate Eb script)

And I am very happy that Alex is more challenging than BI ot RTW.. far more actually
    but.. The battles are very hard .. realy.. I am palying RTW 4 years now so belive me.
    I just had one where I had to fight about 5000-6000 Macedonians with my 3500 .. And I was phalanx defending.. my god!

Anyway.. The AI on Alex.exe especially on battles is far more complex.. by my opinion. Do I use VH settings, this is realy too hard..

And I strongly belive that the whole EB 1 gamplay balance is in serious trouble if played on better AI - such as Alex..

Some and I think most of unit balances come in in question when played on Alex.. For example again, The cavalry and your generals are basicly uselles in Battle - and that is no joke...
    With 4 Epeiros generals you cant rundown one hoplite unit. And I understand that horsmen are no suitable to fight for a long time standing in against infantry - but this is just TO MUCH (I will post some pictures next time I capture the moment) And this has nothing to do with VH settings I tried it on Medium so It is a matter of Unit balance.. On Alex, it seams that VH settings are MUCH harder then on RTW!
    Now , the EBBS srcript is realy making one unrealistic and unwanted expirience.

I definetly support and recommend some mods that alter the EB 1 gamplay dinamic if used wit ALX -
    For example: Mods that are lowering the costs and maintaince of units and some that are making resources more valuable
    Because the way EB 1 is based now (on RTW.exe) - is just not design for harder AI like in Alex (compared to RTW).. Play a whilie and you will see!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:39.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

I understand CBs don't work, what about historical battles, do they work?

And you should play H/M, also don't base your assumptions of the first years as Epeiros the first turns are full of hard fought battles. but once you get Greece you start rolling in dough.. and that's without destroying Rome (which you did). So holding down 2 fronts (Italy and Greece) and winning is already over-achieving IMO...

I played an Epeiros campaign started out by letting Taras rebel and conquered Greece (some very hard battles the first few years). After that I got to making so much money that I felt it was too easy.

I'm thinking about giving Alex a try when I decide to start a campaign and play.
    Last edited by Redmeth; 11-12-2007 at 09:19.

No.. Historic does not work ... I just got a CTD. I think it could be fixed like in EB 1 for BI.exe but I haven't moded that .. maybe it's just some folder names and descriptions wee need to change so It works.. I leave that to people that did make custom/historic battles work on BI.exe

And about that other thing

here is my VH/VH campaign

I am just now in a way to destroyed KHellenon in my 266 bc.. I went to Rhodos. . .and yet i missed some turns (like 2 years becaus of some CTDs after battles)..
    Basicly.. My campaign is based on great and fast victories, In my first turn I took Pella and Demetrias .. so you understand how much battles mean to me..

Still.. I an strongly convinced that cavarly is realy weak.. I mean really.. I asked some EB members about it and they just told that that is the way it should be...
    I must say, the AI is very well balanced on Medium and on VH settings, you can always win - like me.. But you can not, use ganeral in charge at all .. exept if enemy is fighting my phalanx..
    In my battle of Sparta It took 3 of my upgraded generals to NOT kill a single peltast unit that si wrong .. no? Well. .. I think there is muchhistoric proof to put cavalry a little up the latter. And when I fought at Rome.. my god.. My generals were 'sent off' - you know leaving infantry finish the job - generals are just to weak for battles balance fo ALX
    i will do so when EB 1.1 comes out, at least giving all cavarly 2 hit points

But hey! Try it with Alex.exe it realy is harder

HISTORIC and CUSTOM now work!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:40.

I switched to ALX for a new Romani campaign. Had no problems and the AI seems to be a bit smarter.

However, I am having issues with my generals. None of them has died of old age, my faction leader is now 104.

Is not-dieing-of-old-age a hardcoded feature of ALX? Can someone confirm if or is just this particular campaign messed up?

cheers

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

Generals not dying of natrual causes is a feature of Alex, but its in no way hardcoded. That said, I would be extremely suprised if it was activated for all generals simply by switching to alex.exe. IIRC it involves going through a .txt file and adding it to the generals you want.

EDIT:
    Originally Posted by Maksimus
    In my battle of Sparta It took 3 of my upgraded generals to NOT kill a single peltast unit that si wrong .. no? Well. .. I think there is muchhistoric proof to put cavalry a little up the latter.
    This would have probably been the un-balancing that playing on VH gives the game.
    Last edited by Admetos; 11-12-2007 at 19:10.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

Can anyone mess a bit to see if custom or histoirc work
    I am sure that BI.exe is the same thing.. How do you make Custom and Historic work on BI.exe? any Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Admetos
    This would have probably been the un-balancing that playing on VH gives the game.
    Well - No. Not acctually, It seemed to me and others that was the case (especially because EB members are 'pointing' at that), but it's actually not
    EB 1 is not unbalanced because of VH settings - that said I am refering that VH settings are not addressing only to cavalry.. VH settings boost +7 morale and some attack and defence value to the enemy, wich is making them just a bit harder to beat.

What I am refferint to is the fact (by my expirience of RTW game-playing) that Cavalry is, generaly, undervalued.. And that si probably the way it is intended in EB by the creators, What is not intended surely is to have a general whose infantry is fighting with no probs - but he himself is usless ..

In my case, I would like to have stronger cavalry in general - but that is actually refering to their attack and hit points (i will make such a mod where ordinary infantry would not have a chance against Company)
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:42.

Infantry might not find VH/VH as hard as cavalry do. Cavalry rely on their stats (charge bonuses) to be effective in combat. If they can't kill enough people in their initial charge to give them time to withdraw, then they get mauled when they turn their backs. By giving the AI a +7/+7 stat boost, you reduce the set of units that the cavalry can kill enough of in their initial charge.

If you want to make it harder for yourself, don't play on VH/VH. Use general cam, don't pause the battles, put the wings of your army under AI control and don't reload when you lose (and with the wings of the army under AI control, you WILL lose). That way you'll get a challenge AND the pleasure of riding down foot soldiers.

What I am refferint to is the fact (by my expirience of RTW game-playing) that Cavalry is, generaly, undervalued
    Its is important to consider that cavalry in the Hellenistic Period often did not have large, strong, quality mounts (horse breeding), did not always use horse shoes (limiting the movement of horses), and - most importantly, did not have stirrups.

The paired stirrup did not appear until around 322 AD (Sarmatians used a single loop as a horse-mounting aid prior to that). In the absence of stirrups, cavalry had less stability in the saddle, were more easily unseated while riding, were unable to engage in close-fighting from the saddle with great force (i.e. wielding a sword with stirrups is very different to wielding a sword without), and were more vulnerable to being toppled from the saddle by enemy infantry.

So, I think the balance with the cavalry is about right.

H.
    Last edited by HamilcarBarca; 11-13-2007 at 02:25.

Did any palyed a VH battle with 70% infantry, 20% missles and 10% cavalry?
    Keep on mind that you have the same numbers (or less as ussuall) as CPU..

Still.. I agree that battle balance is just fine generally - but I was refering to harder-better battle AI with Alex.exe... Miniding that cost/versses use is highly undervaluated - it makes you wish not to use cavalry at all!

Anyway..
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by overweightninja
    I have the same problem
    member of B.A.L.T.S

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Publius
    I have the same problem
    Yes - We know - Me to!.. I am just waithing for some EB member to see if this would work
    I am not sure how to make Custom/Hustoric battles playable - but some EB members surely can know the pattern - We are actually all waiting for some modder to show up here and test it - like BOVI
    (could you help here a bit? Here is a bloon )

Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:43.

Hey Maksimus,
    Is it possible to go back to using RTW.exe AI by following your instructions in the first post in reverse?

I do see that the AI is better in Alex, its just that if my faction leades never die, I feel like I'm cheating and not getting the best out of the game...

Thanks in advance for the help

Your faction leader will die, you need to go into descr_strat and give a general the "Immortal" trait to stop him dieing from natrual causes. To go back to RTW.exe, just change the command line of the shortcut.
    Last edited by Admetos; 11-14-2007 at 17:27.

My balloons:

what about the renaming of certain campaign folders as listed in the first post? do those need to be renamed back to imperial campaign or whatever?

Also, where is the file you mention that needs to be changed?

sorry but not so familiar with the RTW file structure.

Thanks.

Ah yes, now having read the first post you will need to re-name the folders, I assumed that you'd copyed them, which would be less time-comsuming if you plan on switching back. The 'file' that needs to be changed is your EB shortcut on the desktop, just change "RomeTW-ALX.exe" to "RomeTW.exe", obviously without the quotes.

My balloons:

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast