Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: ALEXANDER EB

Default Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

That's not a solution, because you can't remove a trait that is not there. No EB character has the Immortal trait, so that is NOT the problem. The issue is clearly something inherent in the exe hardcode.

I have been playing with the Alex.exe for a few decades now, and it seems to be working fine except for the undying generals. I can imagine going back to the BI.exe only to have my empire erupt in revolt after all the generals die. There have been some good points, though: the AI is a little wiser when attacking uphill (they wait for you at the bottom of a steep incline rather than exhaust themselves going up it), for example. I haven't seen any other significant improvements, so I think I'll go back to BI.exe.

Post Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Fair enough.. I saw more AI advance moves as for Campaign AI - And that one i Much - Much Better... The AI is Actually spreading... Ill post you a picture!

See... This never Ever happend to me at RTW or BI exe-- this is one unit that attacked my slingers in the middle of my siege...
    That never, ever, happend to me in any EB game untill Alex.exe
    And after a I gain a full charge of on them with my lancers and this happens!

They just fall back with no shame... For me.. that is one very clear example of very nice AI..
    And... this too

Where Two MercMediumPhalnx that attacked my army in North Africa gain pace... and.. you see.. This unit fought and when AI saw that the main general unit of those two is going to die - due to my battle formations.. He just.. took the other unit that was in the middle of a fight and witdrawed it form the battle.. Later.. Ai used the same unit to cross the whole north Africa and rejoin it with some medium size Army of Carthage that sieged my town after that.. So.. the Ai is realy the best on Alex..exe.. But those hardcoded immortal effect are clearly making the game.. bad in a way.. But just to note - Yes.. your generals can die in a battle very easilly.. I lost two already..

And this is the campaign map

I must say.. that Campaign AI is very well balanced.. There can be no waste of familly members on the map so you see Baktria! There could only be dreams of that move into India without Alex..

puffff...
    be well my friends!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:48.
    “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

It really is a pity that the general's life span seems incredibly increased by the .exe, because I've noticed better AI aswell, but I think the generals just ruin it for me.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

Thumbs down Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

They did it for me too... it's just that I havent reached the time yet... So I enjoj my Pyrros at age 75.. too bad.. realy... too bad
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:47.

Actually the AI expansion seems to be somewhat poor compared to the plain RTW or RTW\BI version-- though it might be a matter of chance. (And the fact you've taken out quite a few factions already.)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

do all the generals are Immortals or only the leader?
    cuz if it's only the leader you can get it killed in battle in age 75....

May be you should try "Immortal 0" or "Immortal -1". There must be a reason why there is an "Immortal" trait even though the engine makes characters immortal when the trait is missing.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Quote Originally Posted by konny
    May be you should try "Immortal 0" or "Immortal -1". There must be a reason why there is an "Immortal" trait even though the engine makes characters immortal when the trait is missing.
    Can anyone confirm that it should be done...??? OR that this worked before..?? Konny!? This is a valid or what?
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:48.

I have no idea, give it a try: Change dectr_strat and make a Casse character 75 give him the immortal 0 trait and another one 75 too and give him the immortal -1 trait, start a Casse campaign with Alex.exe and hit "End Turn" until either one of them dies or they reach the 100.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Smile Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Ok... Will do that !
    It's just that I got to run now... I will try it and I will post here if there is a fix..
    Abd if this realy fixes the characters issue - I will fix descr_start and upload it here - tonight or tomorrow!

I fear that descr_strat wouldn't be enough, if it works. You'll need to give that trait to FM come of age too, as well as candidates for mariage/adaption, puppet rulers and recruitable generals; not to mention every character that is spawned by the script.

In return I would make governors of rebell towns immortal to prevent them from dying out.

Arrow Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

I fear that descr_strat wouldn't be enough, if it works. You'll need to give that trait to FM come of age too, as well as candidates for mariage/adaption, puppet rulers and recruitable generals; not to mention every character that is spawned by the script.

In return I would make governors of rebell towns immortal to prevent them from dying out.
    My god... So... There is no hope... ... I wont even bother with descr_strat if I have to mod some other txt. files I just don't know how...

Where do I mod future FM members??
    For example::
    ; ---------------------------------------------------------
    ; ######### britons - Casse #########
    ; ---------------------------------------------------------

faction britons, trader mao
    denari 3000
    settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Cassemorg

year_founded 0
    population 3460
    settlement_tax 51
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator britons
    building
    {
    type core_building governors_villa
    }
    building
    {
    type uniques4 fourtwo
    }
    building
    {
    type defenses wooden_wall
    }
    ;WG building
    ; {
    ; type Barracks_D militia_barracks_D1
    ; }
    building
    {
    type smith blacksmith
    }
    building
    {
    type port_buildings port
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_farms farms
    }
    building
    {
    type farms2 granary
    }
    building
    {
    type market market
    }
    building
    {
    type amphitheatres game_field
    }
    building
    {
    type temple_of_fun temple_of_fun_temple
    }
    }

; City: Camulosadae
    ; Region: Cassemorg
    ; --------------------
    character Barae ofcatuvellauni, named character, leader, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, immortal -1, age 24, , x 58, y 184
    traits NaturalIntelligence 5 , NaturalCharisma 5 , NaturalEnergy 6 , Selflessness 3 , Loyalty 4 , Temperament 4 , TurnsAlive 2 , CasseCasse 1 , BaraeBiography 1 , CommandExperience 3 , GoodTactician 1 , GoodLeader 1 , TacticalSkill 1 , Energetic 1 , Austere 1 , PublicFaith 1 , NumAncillariesAcquired 2 , DruidAcquired 1
    ancillaries druid2 , family_retainer
    army
    unit celtic chariot cidainh bodyguards exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit celtic infantry gaeroas exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

; --------------------
    character Sentata ofcatuvellauni, named character, heir, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 30, , x 58, y 185
    traits NaturalIntelligence 5 , NaturalCharisma 4 , NaturalEnergy 4 , Selflessness 3 , Loyalty 5 , Temperament 2 , TurnsAlive 3 , CommandExperience 2 , CasseMenape 1 , GoodTactician 1 , GoodAdministrator 1 , Austere 1, PublicFaith 1, Drink 1 , NumAncillariesAcquired 2
    ancillaries bard , family_retainer
    army
    unit celtic infantry gaeroas exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

; --------------------
    character Margorix ofcatuvellauni, named character, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 40, , x 58, y 186
    traits NaturalIntelligence 5 , NaturalCharisma 6 , NaturalEnergy 5 , Selflessness 3 , Loyalty 4 , Temperament 2 , TurnsAlive 6 , CommandExperience 4 , CasseCasse 1 , GoodTactician 1 , GoodLeader 2 , Energetic 2, PublicFaith 3, GoodAdministrator 2 , GoodTrader 1 , NumAncillariesAcquired 2 , DruidAcquired 1
    ancillaries druid2 , family_retainer
    army
    unit celtic infantry botroas exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

; --------------------
    character Caradog ofcatuvellauni, named character, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 65, , x 58, y 187
    traits NaturalIntelligence 6 , NaturalCharisma 6 , NaturalEnergy 5 , Selflessness 3 , Loyalty 4 , Temperament 2 , TurnsAlive 8
    ancillaries armourer
    army
    unit celtic infantry botroas exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

; Region: Sea
    ; --------------------
    character Segovax ofcatuvellauni, admiral, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 20, , x 57, y 179
    army
    unit generic ship ponto exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

; Region: Cruddain
    ; --------------------
    character Senaculos ofcatuvellauni, spy, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 20, , x 58, y 188
    traits GoodSpy 1 , SpyTurnsAlive 1 , AgentTraining 2

; --------------------
    character Lannildot ofcatuvellauni, diplomat, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 20, , x 57, y 182
    traits GoodDiplomat 2

;FOW Spies Casse START
    ;---------------------

character Amminau, spy, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 30, , x 49, y 216
    traits NaturalSpySkill 3, GoodSpy 5, GoodConspirator 3

;FOW Spies Casse END
    ;---------------------

character_record Mowg ofcatuvellauni, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 8, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Massorias ofcatuvellauni, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 7, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Vyncorra, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 95, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Avica, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 60, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Inyae, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 24, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Andoran ofcatuvellauni, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 4, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Ishi ofcatuvellauni, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, immortal -1, age 2, alive, never_a_leader

relative Caradog ofcatuvellauni, Vyncorra, Margorix ofcatuvellauni, Sentata ofcatuvellauni, Barae ofcatuvellauni, end
    relative Margorix ofcatuvellauni, Avica, end
    relative Barae ofcatuvellauni, Inyae, Mowg ofcatuvellauni, Massorias ofcatuvellauni, Andoran ofcatuvellauni, Ishi ofcatuvellauni, end

But where to mod ...other?
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:49.

export_descr_character_traits.txt
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

First, you'll need to add two traits to EB\Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt because YOU CAN'T REMOVE A TRAIT THAT DOES NOT EXIST. Adding those lines to descr_strat would result in a KTM during map.rwm generation, so you need to add the Immortal trait to the game. Additionally, the game does not like negative numbers for traits in most cases, so you'll need to add an AntiTrait.

It would look like this:

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trait Immortal
        Characters family
        Hidden
        AntiTraits AntiImmortal

Level Immortal
            Description Immortal_desc
            EffectsDescription Immortal_effects_desc
            Threshold  1 

;------------------------------------------
    Trait AntiImmortal
        Characters family
        Hidden
        AntiTraits Immortal

Level Not_Immortal
            Description AntiImmortal_desc
            EffectsDescription AntiImmortal_effects_desc
            Threshold  1
    Simply add this to the part before all of the triggers. At the end of the list of triggers, add the following:
    Code:
    Trigger AntiImmortal
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition Trait AntiImmortal < 1

Affects AntiImmortal  2  Chance  100
    Then go to EB\Data\Text\export_VnVs.txt and add this to the end:
    Code:
    {Immortal}	Immortal

{Immortal_desc}
    Hidden immortal trait

{Immortal_effects_desc}
    No Effects

&#172;--------------------

{AntiImmortal}	AntiImmortal

{AntiImmortal_desc}
    Hidden trait.

{AntiImmortal_effects_desc}
    No Effects
    Because it's a hidden trait (ie you won't see it in their trait list) you probably don't need to add the description, but just to be sure I would add it anyway.

Edit: Well I'll be buggered. It worked...

At least, it looks like it worked. I made the above changes, hit end turn and had a whole bunch of old fogies die at the start of the next turn from "Natural Causes." If I played a few more turns I daresay that the rest of my ageing population of family members would also die, too.

I'll be interested to see if it works for everyone else, too, so give it a try!
    Last edited by Cheexsta; 11-28-2007 at 00:33.

Hi.

I'm yet to download EB with my slow dial-up, but tested alex exe with XGM.

1) Massive changes of "imperial_campaign_" into "alexander_" etc aren't necessary. Just run the mod with "-noalexander" key, and it will use standard "imperial_campaign" folder and relevant text descriptions. Custom battles also work fine.

2) To rid of immortal generals, simply add "immortal" trait to "export_descr_character_traits.txt", "text\export_VnVs.txt" and "export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt" (i think Cheexsta forgot to mention this one), and that's it - no need for trigger and antitrait.

3) Some bi features should work also with alex exe, eg string "options +prebattle_night_battle_tickbox" in "descr_start.txt" should allow night battles (together with "night_battles_enabled") string. There are more switches, need to scan exe and test further.

Part of this info comes from twow.ru forums.

Hope it helps - at least it works in XGM for me.

P.S. I use RomeTW-ALX.exe + chat_filter.san only, never bothered to install the entire add-on.
    Last edited by Lgk; 11-28-2007 at 06:31.
    occasional ALEXANDER EB member
    :::Alexander::: less hopeless AI engine for EB https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94861

Cheexsta, can you please upload your fixed file?
    Lgk, what do you mean by running the mod with "-noalexander" key?
    Last edited by Leviathan DarklyCute; 11-28-2007 at 07:24.

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

Lgk - That's brilliant, thanks alot.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

Wink Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Quote Originally Posted by Lgk
    Hi.

1) Massive changes of "imperial_campaign_" into "alexander_" etc aren't necessary. Just run the mod with "-noalexander" key, and it will use standard "imperial_campaign" folder and relevant text descriptions. Custom battles also work fine.

2) To rid of immortal generals, simply add "immortal" trait to "export_descr_character_traits.txt", "text\export_VnVs.txt" and "export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt" (i think Cheexsta forgot to mention this one), and that's it - no need for trigger and antitrait.

3) Some bi features should work also with alex exe, eg string "options +prebattle_night_battle_tickbox" in "descr_start.txt" should allow night battles (together with "night_battles_enabled") string. There are more switches, need to scan exe and test further.

Part of this info comes from twow.ru forums.

Hope it helps - at least it works in XGM for me.

P.S. I use RomeTW-ALX.exe + chat_filter.san only, never bothered to install the entire add-on.
    Thank you so much if you can just confirm that the descr_start.txt is not the one that should be changed like mentioned above..

And please ... please.. Just test if you can and post here so we can make on single download link at the end of it and make all possible for gamers. And it should be in mind that EB 1.1 is comming soon.. so..

And Cheexsta... If What Lgk is saying is true (like that ... "export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt" is doomed to be changed) - can you just make ONE more example of it and how it is done... But have in mine what Lkg said so it can all work well...

And I am so sorry I don't have much time in the last 5 days so I can not do anything mouch from the forum... I don't have EB here in My Uni..
    Thank you my friends.. I hope Alex.. Is not dead yet
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:50.

Post Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Hi.

I am just lost here in a minute.. Can you say it again... like "-noalexander" is refered to what?.. Target of exe?
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:50.

Immortall fix is done... just copy past it to your RTW folder and owerwrite all!!

Download link is added to the main post

Lgk * Cheexsta * Tellos Athenaios * Konny

And.. Lgk - We (I hope all of us) are counting that your tests will help Alex.exe to use Night Battles and Custom and Historic battles!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:51.

Maksimus, can you please upload the file on another site, filefront doesn't work for me...
    please....

You should remove:

AntiTraits AntiImmortal

because the trait AntiImmortal is nowhere defined (I don't think that this might cause problems, but just to be on the safe side).

Summary

1) Edit 3 files (add immortal trait only):
    . "export_descr_character_traits.txt"
    . "export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt"
    . "text\export_VnVs.txt"
    (i think engine must 1st parse enums file and then search text file for them)

2) Make shortcut like this:
    . "RomeTW-ALX.exe -show_err -nm -mod:eb -noalexander"

No other changes (hence small download, or simply do it by hand).
    Custom battles and standard imperial campaign should work.

As for "options +something" string in descr_strat i think it's a way to test all bi options separately (assuming that "options bi" enables them all) and mark the working ones. Had no time to test them yet.
    occasional ALEXANDER EB member
    :::Alexander::: less hopeless AI engine for EB https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94861

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Good news that you got rid of that annoying thing with immortal FMs. When I'll finally get around to play another campaign, probably after 1.1 is released, I'll try it out with Alexander.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Can you please also post the code needed for the immortal trait on the first page for people who like to the editing themselves. Thanks.

Hi.

Huh, how bout that.

Noted. But no, you no longer need to change enums files after the 1.5 patch.

Interesting. Should also be noted that night battle traits are required for night battles to actually become available, but cheers for the info.

Thanks for the corrections and clarifications, mate.

. "RomeTW-ALX.exe -show_err -nm -mod:eb -noalexander"
    That works very fine and it is savegame compatible with Bi.exe games.

I have played some times now with an older save and everything works. I haven't used the immortal patch so far, but that had been only three or four years, so no major damage to the game done by no natural death.

I have witnessed some improvements to the startegical AI:

- Hunting down of defeated enemy stacks by using several own stacks.

- Attacking enemy armies that are deep within "neutral" (for example rebell) territory.

- Attacking enemy armies with strong garrisons as soon as the border is crossed by the enemy, instead of remaining in the town and waiting to be sieged.

- In general a much more aggressive usage of the own forces, even with factions that are in general in the defense.

- A very interessting manouver by the Lusotanns: They attacked Numantia from the South and were repulsed by the spawning stack. Afterwards they tried it again from the North (a full stack that had made a long detour) and run in an ambush of the defending stack in the woods there. Then they moved five or six one-unit armies up there and lined them up. Afterwards another full stack moved there and was placed behind the "screen". I am curious what's coming next...

I have jet to see a better tactical AI because I had just fought one siege (everything as usual) and a battle in the woods in which I was much stronger than the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan DarklyCute
    Cheexsta, can you please upload your fixed file?
    Lgk, what do you mean by running the mod with "-noalexander" key?
    Ok
    http://www.MegaShare.com/316607

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    Can you please also post the code needed for the immortal trait on the first page for people who like to the editing themselves. Thanks.
    Will do.. It's just that we are hoping to make one 'new' edited first post when Lgk tests or makes night battles playable for Alex...

but I will do something fast!

That works very fine and it is savegame compatible with Bi.exe games.
    Konny... please just copy past your Target here -- I just cant get a grip on this totaly - just like ::

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:eb -show_err

and what is that should be changed right?!

Never Mind - got it! Will edit the main post now!!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:52.

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast