Thread: Stunning incompetence

Default Stunning incompetence

Err, sorry to make a new thread to ask this, but I failed to find it myself; what affects the acquisition of the trait 'Stunning incompetence'? I get that every now and then, which is fine, but, well, this occasion was rather odd... (playing VH/M)

I've got this chap, ( https://img223.imageshack.us/img223/...etence2dj6.jpg , https://img223.imageshack.us/img223/...petencezv8.jpg ), who I got offered as a husband for a daughter in the family, and I accepted it, seeing that he was Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous, Calm, Man Grown, and the description of 'Puno-Celtiberian' seemed ok to me, and so, I had a new relative. I brought him from Sicily over to Africa to lead a small army against a few rebel armies that had emerged, and decided, because the units were being trained, to take him to Kart-Hadast to be trained at the school there, and under the supervision of Mago, the faction leader and über-management/influence feller.

Now, the problem was, that if I left him for a single turn there, he got both 'Stunningly Incompetent' and 'Unhappy People', even though he wasn't the governor and the loyalty rating was 140+%. So, I loaded, tried again, and it did the same. I tried taking him to Adrumeto, and still got it. Finally, I just gave in, and let him became what, it seems, he was destined to be. I mean, he's just gonna be a general anyway, and not an administrator.

However, I was puzzled, as to why did he get both of those traits, always, after only spending a turn in a city, even if not being a governor, and while being sharp AND charismatic? Does his blood heritage have something to do with it, or is it just my bad luck?

I'd be just curious to know, if anyone could tell me...
    I has two balloons!

Default Re: Stunning incompetence

It may be that the Puno-Iberian Trait has the hidden effect that he wont do very well in a type 1 government city. It's the same with KH where Athenian generals become stunningly imcopetent while undergoing the Agoge because Sparte has a type 1 government. Don't worry dude, once you move him to a city that has a suitable government for him, he'll lose the trait. I hope

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit https://www.HellenicGenocide.org

Thanks, I hope you're right. I was thinking it might be something of that sort, but hadn't got to test it yet.
    I has two balloons!

I've had the same problem. Personally, I think "Stunning Incompetence" is a bit harsh, but that can always be edited easily.

And Basileus Seleukeia is correct, at least from my expierience.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

@ The General:

This happened to me too, when playing either Epirote or Pontic games. A "suitable husband" with at least above average traits, and peng! after he's in a town (say Athens), he gets this extremely nasty trait.

Strangely, those "S.H." with average or under average traits do not get it. Must be some relation between "above average traits" & getting this nasty trait.

Yours,
    T.
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Maybe this explains it (though I've not understood it completely):

Code:
    Trigger Governor_No_Longer_in_Favorite_Type1_Settlement
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsGeneral
              and EndedInSettlement
              and Trait Type1Settlement < 1
              and Trait LikesType1 > 0
              and Trait SettlementGoodMatch > 0

Affects SettlementBadMatch  1  Chance  100
        Affects BadAdministrator  8  Chance  100
        Affects PeopleUnhappy  1  Chance  100

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger Governor_BadMatch_with_Type1_Settlement
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsGeneral
              and CharacterIsLocal
              and EndedInSettlement
              and Trait Type1Settlement > 0
              and Trait HatesType1 > 0
              and Trait SettlementBadMatch < 1

Affects SettlementBadMatch  1  Chance  100
        Affects BadAdministrator  8  Chance  100
        Affects PeopleUnhappy  1  Chance  100
    I guess that

- the factional (sub-) ethnicity (e.g. Mollosian, Thraikos, Persikos, etc.) and that
    - the gouverment type (in this case, a gov1)

play a major role in getting this trait ("BadAdministrator 2" = Stunningly Incompetent).

T.

EDIT: what confuses me is "BadAdministrator 8", 'cause IIRC there are just 4 levels (level one being "Jobsworth").
    Last edited by Treverer; 11-21-2007 at 19:13.

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    @ The General:

This happened to me too, when playing either Epirote or Pontic games. A "suitable husband" with at least above average traits, and peng! after he's in a town (say Athens), he gets this extremely nasty trait.

Strangely, those "S.H." with average or under average traits do not get it. Must be some relation between "above average traits" & getting this nasty trait.

Yours,
    T.
    The more you expect out of someone, the farther htey can fall. I bet no one would be complaining about this if some Dull/Langorous/UnCharasmatic Hypochondriac with a Fear of Blood got it.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Combustion Member beatoangelico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    The more you expect out of someone, the farther htey can fall. I bet no one would be complaining about this if some Dull/Langorous/UnCharasmatic Hypochondriac with a Fear of Blood got it.
    sometimes is the opposite...for example, with Baktria I have a Dull/Charismatic/Languorous Persikos FM that is Hale And Hearty and one of my more succesfull and influential generals

I explained this in the other thread on the issue.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    I explained this in the other thread on the issue.
    Thx, Bovi. So I was right with my analysis. Edit: I was unaware of your post and simply searched the char_trait.txt folder.

Yours,
    Treverer

P.S. What does "BadAdministrator8" mean?? Aren't there only 4 or 5 levels of that trait?
    Last edited by Treverer; 11-21-2007 at 23:21.

Good question! The RTW traits mechanics is easily misunderstood. I've marked some lines in the following code to illustrate the point.

Code:
    Trait BadAdministrator
        Characters family
        NoGoingBackLevel 6
        AntiTraits GoodAdministrator

Level Jobsworth
            Description Jobsworth_desc
            EffectsDescription Jobsworth_effects_desc
            Threshold  2

Effect Management -1
            Effect Unrest  1

Level Administratively_Inept
            Description Administratively_Inept_desc
            EffectsDescription Administratively_Inept_effects_desc
            Threshold  4

Effect Management -2
            Effect Unrest  2

Level Stunningly_Incompetent
            Description Stunningly_Incompetent_desc
            EffectsDescription Stunningly_Incompetent_effects_desc
            Threshold  8

Effect Management -3
            Effect Unrest  3
            Effect Influence -1

Level Completely_Incompetent
            Description Completely_Incompetent_desc
            EffectsDescription Completely_Incompetent_effects_desc
            Threshold  16

Effect Management -4
            Effect Unrest  4
            Effect Influence -1

Level Legendarily_Incompetent
            Description Legendarily_Incompetent_desc
            EffectsDescription Legendarily_Incompetent_effects_desc
            Threshold  32

Effect Management -5
            Effect Unrest  5
            Effect Influence -2
    You'll notice that there are indeed only 5 levels of the trait, and a general with Completely_Incompetent would return true on the condition Trait BadAdministrator = 4. However, the thresholds of the levels are a lot higher. To have level 4, he needs to have between 16 and 31 points in the trait. Affects statements add points, not levels. The give_trait console command however works in levels and not points.

When you add 8 points to one who has nothing on the trait, he'll go straight to the third level, Stunningly_Incompetent.
    Last edited by bovi; 11-22-2007 at 00:04.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thx again Bovi! Where do I get further information about how the "traitpoints" work? No need to hurry with an answer though, you might PM me when you have time. EDIT: Not needed anymore, I think I've understood now how it works.

Yours,
    Treverer
    Last edited by Treverer; 11-22-2007 at 00:17.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

The scriptorium anyway is always the first stop. From there you can go to modding questions, if you haven't found a guide.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?