Thread: The Barbary States: Pirate Faction ?

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Lightbulb The Barbary States: Pirate Faction ?

Hi All !

Does anyone know if there will be a "pirate" faction ?

IMO that would be awesome, a faction dedicated to plundering the sea lanes. It would add in a bit of Jack Sparrow theatrics into the game. This has nothing to do with realism, I'm suggesting this for fun and to add another avenue of gameplay.

SALUTE !
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default Re: The Barbary States: Pirate Faction ?

Indeed, if CA added the Yubsteb elephants, why they couldnt add Jack Sparrow?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I do hope that piracy is possible and profitable in ETW. I don't understand why the ability to plunder the sea lanes has been left out of RTW and MTW 2.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

A pirate faction sounds interesting. Maybe taking the place of the traditional rebel faction.

Actually no, because rebellions were not one int he same as pirates. (Look at history.)

And they woudl have to do lost of modding for a pirate faction. You'll want to chosoe your leaders (which would require some way of changing the leader of your faction, since a eldery pirate faction leader is... not realstic.)

Female characters would become mroe than eyecandy, because of female piracy...

I do wonder about something..

If piracy does exist as a playable faction, then I'm thinking that the fact irony would facor things being the most priates game of all time would keep them from doing it.

pirates was a major problem in this time and from what i know they used to have their own ports. i don't think they had a leader or some kind of an empire or even a state but i think they will be included in the game as some kind of a naval obstacle which will be fun.

I was reading on the .net as well and a lot of people think privateers and pirates were just an odd ship here or there. This really does'nt look like the case.

The North Africa states owed their allegiance to the Ottomans, and had their own ports, safe havens (until late 1800s IIRC). The plundered the lanes from Malta till Iceland and even North America, according to some sources. They were a naval power, and IMHO they should be represented as such in the game. It would make the game a far greated success.

SALUTE !

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    I was reading on the .net as well and a lot of people think privateers and pirates were just an odd ship here or there. This really does'nt look like the case.

The North Africa states owed their allegiance to the Ottomans, and had their own ports, safe havens (until late 1800s IIRC). The plundered the lanes from Malta till Iceland and even North America, according to some sources. They were a naval power, and IMHO they should be represented as such in the game. It would make the game a far greated success.

SALUTE !
    Sure. Yet all the pirates in the world did not form a single faction, and the Barbary states didn't have a centralised administration, head of state, currency, flag, or anything really that would make them a political entity beyond being an extraofficial arm of the Ottoman Empire and the multiple north african sheikhs, beys, sultans and chiefclans.

The Knights of Malta were a very effective force in keeping the Catholic mediterranean reasonably clean.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

My purpose is to introduce an idea, and welcome all constructive feedback. This is not a history thread but I understand that references will inevitably made.

I hope to show that a different, exciting, profitable and challenging scenario can be included in the game. Anyway as far as history is concerned, it really speaks for itself, I'm totally not concerned with it, but perhaps a couple of passing facts can be disclosed. I suppose everyone knows that the Ottoman Navy was the 3rd largest in the world, after the British & French navies, in the years around 1830. The Ottomans were a dominant naval power in the Meditarranean, thanks to the expertise and action taken by Captain Hayreddin "Barbarossa" (Red Beard). He established the Ottoman Navy as a powerful force, primarily through privateers.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khair_ad_Din

They did'nt form a single faction. That's just for simplicity. I pretty sure won't be in the game at all, but IMO it would a great GAMING experience to play as them. Something different. Not to mention it's a great marketing gimmick, far better than panzerphants. After all the success of Pirates of the Caribbean lies in the char concept. From it spawn Pirates of the Golden Sea, an MMO which looks very promising and may well take off.

PotGS Videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-aWiBvCzeE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2Jpx_64os

In EVE-Online, another MMO, piracy is the name of the game for many, and is a huge part of the online economy. This shows that people want to play a no holds barred game. The appeal is do something radical and realistically implausible, ingame. CA have chosen the path of making this a game, rather than a realistic battle simulator.

EVE Pirate Corp Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du4n5wvJGhU

Hayreddin and the corsairs are right up there with the best captains the world has ever seen. I'm expecting that the Barbary States will be part of the Ottoman Empire, but a representation of the ruthless effectivesness of the corsairs, privateers and bounty hunters on the seas, should be represented in one form or another. Not too sure though as there's space for a lot of factions, they could easily put this faction in, and give them an edge, early & mid game.

Enjoy the videos !

SALUTE!
    Last edited by Shahed; 11-25-2007 at 03:57.

i doubt coz that would just make the ottoman empire an advantage ahead of the other empires...but it would be great if the ottoman empire can hire units from the barbary states just as mercenaries. it would be great if every province had their unique unit and empires (conquering the province)can train those unique units as mercenaries...like hiring mamlukes from egypt or corsairs from the barbary states..

I think pirates and privateers offer the same to navel conflict that rebels and mercenaries offer the armies. Having pirates in amongst your trade routes should effect you economically, perhaps the end of turn report could comments on the tonnage of merchant shipping lost. This will put pressure on the player to divert some of their navel resources to track down and eliminate the pirates. Similarly a faction should be able to offer certain pirates the 'letter of marque ' in effect hiring them into their navel force as privateers. Both privateers and regular navel vessels should be able to effect merchant shipping perhaps by positioning them selves on trade routes. If the player is at war with a faction then they would profit from capturing their merchantmen but if not then such an action would be seen as an act or war and would initiate the conflict.

I don't see Pirates working as a full playable faction, for a start a Pirate Empire is unrealistic. I would however like to expand on S.Selim_1's idea and have some factions such as the Ottermans and the 13 colonies relie more on; and have access to greater numbers of privateers with which to bolster their regualr navel forces. Also certain factions would be able to hire different types of privateer, The British gaining the Bermuda Sloop the French, shallow draft Dunkerque privateers.

Brilliant. Good suggestions there, particularly the letter of marque. if you would gain directly to your treasury or to your economy by raiding enemy merchant shipping, that would be a massive improvement to the game.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Brilliant. Good suggestions there, particularly the letter of marque. if you would gain directly to your treasury or to your economy by raiding enemy merchant shipping, that would be a massive improvement to the game.
    Sounds good

As a somebody readintg a AAR on a diff forum and a Californian (RL), I'd like to ask that the advantages of buying pirate mercs more often or cheaper be extended to all young factions. (All young factions.)

This of course expects that California will be on the map, and be a faction instead of a rebel event. (In which case I will mod in Tejas and California .)

Which AAR are you reading ? Linkage ?

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

CA Re: The Barbary States: Pirate Faction ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    Indeed, if CA added the Yubsteb elephants, why they couldnt add Jack Sparrow?
    Um.

Intellectual property rights, for a start.

The Yubsteb elephants were done "officially"; inserting Disney-owned characters into the game would cost 000000000dle$ of money best spent on other aspects of the game.

Sorry, and all that, but that's the way the copyright cookie crumbles.
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

I don't mind pirates, but it should be implemented with reason. After all, these ships had to be built, and it wasn't pirates that built them.

So an idea of random pirate ships popping up would be quite ahistoric and game breaking, appearing from nowhere.

I'd rather say, if you want a privateer, then go build a ship. And have an option to send it on a privateer mission. Thereby you loose control of the ship, but based on it's success, you receive a daily/monthly income (kinda % of the plunder).

As for the barbary states, their fleet would consist of rebel ships. Or ships they win in battle. If a single fleet rebels, then it joins up with them... of course this is based on the assumption that loyalty will be a factor that is implemented.
    "A Plátói szerelem olyan, mint kívülről nyalogatni a lekváros üveget!!!"