Thread: The Barbary States: Pirate Faction ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Lightbulb The Barbary States: Pirate Faction ?

Hi All !

Does anyone know if there will be a "pirate" faction ?

IMO that would be awesome, a faction dedicated to plundering the sea lanes. It would add in a bit of Jack Sparrow theatrics into the game. This has nothing to do with realism, I'm suggesting this for fun and to add another avenue of gameplay.

SALUTE !
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default Re: The Barbary States: Pirate Faction ?

Indeed, if CA added the Yubsteb elephants, why they couldnt add Jack Sparrow?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I do hope that piracy is possible and profitable in ETW. I don't understand why the ability to plunder the sea lanes has been left out of RTW and MTW 2.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

A pirate faction sounds interesting. Maybe taking the place of the traditional rebel faction.

Actually no, because rebellions were not one int he same as pirates. (Look at history.)

And they woudl have to do lost of modding for a pirate faction. You'll want to chosoe your leaders (which would require some way of changing the leader of your faction, since a eldery pirate faction leader is... not realstic.)

Female characters would become mroe than eyecandy, because of female piracy...

I do wonder about something..

If piracy does exist as a playable faction, then I'm thinking that the fact irony would facor things being the most priates game of all time would keep them from doing it.

pirates was a major problem in this time and from what i know they used to have their own ports. i don't think they had a leader or some kind of an empire or even a state but i think they will be included in the game as some kind of a naval obstacle which will be fun.

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

CA Re: The Barbary States: Pirate Faction ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    Indeed, if CA added the Yubsteb elephants, why they couldnt add Jack Sparrow?
    Um.

Intellectual property rights, for a start.

The Yubsteb elephants were done "officially"; inserting Disney-owned characters into the game would cost 000000000dle$ of money best spent on other aspects of the game.

Sorry, and all that, but that's the way the copyright cookie crumbles.
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

I don't mind pirates, but it should be implemented with reason. After all, these ships had to be built, and it wasn't pirates that built them.

So an idea of random pirate ships popping up would be quite ahistoric and game breaking, appearing from nowhere.

I'd rather say, if you want a privateer, then go build a ship. And have an option to send it on a privateer mission. Thereby you loose control of the ship, but based on it's success, you receive a daily/monthly income (kinda % of the plunder).

As for the barbary states, their fleet would consist of rebel ships. Or ships they win in battle. If a single fleet rebels, then it joins up with them... of course this is based on the assumption that loyalty will be a factor that is implemented.
    "A Plátói szerelem olyan, mint kívülről nyalogatni a lekváros üveget!!!"