Thread: Faction Thread 10: High Elves

Default Faction Thread 10: High Elves

placeholder
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Default Re: Faction Thread 10: High Elves

Krazy's High Elf models are in my opinion the best models in this mod so far, we need more Mr Krazy!

Agree!!!!!^

Nahh.. Im more fan of Aletun realy..

Still, I have a suggestion to the High Elf spearmen.
    Have you played Kingdoms Teotonic campain? the "Halfbrothers" (the one with the halbeard) dont use the ordinary halbeard animation, but a animation who lets him stab with the halbeard and still use his shield. I think its the pike animation, but im not shure.

Anyway, i was hoping you culd experiment with putting this animation on the high elfs, I think that it wuld look much more real, in that they actualy work more like a phalanx than a spear unit in tabletop game (3 rows of atackers in front)

I think High elfs should have a strong navy, maybe a large portion of their coast should be inaccessible for landing troops (the side opposed the the old world) as to represent the mists that protect Ulthuan. The dark elf side should be open to raids, naturally

If it's possible, could the high elfs be given a larger number of free upkeep units in their settlements? This will represent their defensive nature, while making an offensive action more expensive. This will also ensure that it will be harder to assault Ulthuan, due to the larger amount of militia troops, but that the non-militia troops (swordmasters etc.) are more expensive to maintain and thus rarer.

Just some ideas,

Fireblade

Maybe if it is possible to code units like Swordmasters to require upkeep while citizen units don't if they are in a settlement. That would spice things up a little.

Messenger, that is how the milita/soldiers work in medieval too.

But i am all for the Free upkeep for milita troops (when in a city) and expensive upkeep for elites.

Quote Originally Posted by A Norseman
    Messenger, that is how the milita/soldiers work in medieval too.

But i am all for the Free upkeep for milita troops (when in a city) and expensive upkeep for elites.
    I mean in any settlement that has perhaps a barracks or something.
    Maybe it needs some requirement otherwise you could just spam tonnes of them even at the front lines where you are taking over towns and what not.

Off course, they should only be able to do that in their hometowns, maybe only in other settlements after building a temple of Isha or something like that (a high elf structure, I can't come up with a good name right now) which takes 10 turns to build or so. This building should allow 6 extra militia units.

Fireblade
    Last edited by fireblade; 12-08-2007 at 16:54.

i remember playing a RTW mod lotr where when u sieged a settlement a % of the population where turned into basic units to help fight off the attackers meants you needed a sizable force to take any settlement as long as it had 1 unit
    For Middenheim & The Empire!

Which mod?
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

As messenger already pointed out, using that idea will make it almost impossible to recapture a settlement belonging to high elfs, as the will simply fill it with free troops. They need some time to settle (considering they are elfs, a long time) before they should be able to use their militia troops.

What high elf units are there going to be in the mod?

Spearmen, archers, silver helms, seaguard, swordmasters, phoenix guard, white lions, dragon princes, bolt throwers and maybe chariots? Did I miss something?

Ships should be like Eagle ship, hawk ship etc.

what settlements are planned?
    Lothern, tor Anroc, Tor yvresse, maybe the white tower?

Fireblade

I would guess the High Elves would get any and all units that would work ingame, so probably no Dragons but plenty of other units.

Surly we will use the system already in work in med 2.A settlement with a certain level will have a number of free upkeep slots. That way.. Small settlements = small guards. Big cities = Big guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal_Barca
    Which mod?
    LOTR TW but i think it got shut down shortly after the first release

Actually you will find LOTR TW is alive and kicking and has made a campaign release.

bit ot but where is there website as i DLed it few weeks later couldent find it anywhere

Hello. This is my first post. I have no skill at all in coding, but Your project really excites me and I would love to help in fluff and concepts. I own the current high elf book and 2 previous, so I submit here a few ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade
    As messenger already pointed out, using that idea will make it almost impossible to recapture a settlement belonging to high elfs, as the will simply fill it with free troops. They need some time to settle (considering they are elfs, a long time) before they should be able to use their militia troops.

What high elf units are there going to be in the mod?

Spearmen, archers, silver helms, seaguard, swordmasters, phoenix guard, white lions, dragon princes, bolt throwers and maybe chariots? Did I miss something?

Ships should be like Eagle ship, hawk ship etc.

what settlements are planned?
    Lothern, tor Anroc, Tor yvresse, maybe the white tower?

Fireblade

Agreed, Elf player should not be be able to take a settlement and spamm militia to defend it immediately.

All the units you mention should be in. I suggest making the regional troops linked to guilds, Seaguard, White lions, Swordmasters, Dragonprinces, and Chariots all fall into this category. I also suggest Shadow Warriors and Ellyrion Reavers as regional troops. This leaves Archers, Spearmen, and Silver Helms as universal troops, maybe phoenix guard as high-end universal elites.

eagle and hawk ships make perfect sense.

as for settlments, I would definitely include Lothern, Tor Elyr, and Tor Yvresse. I'm not sure about the White Tower, Fluff has it that the tower moves, and can only be found by those it deems worthy, so conquering it doesn't make sense, and how would it be represented on the battlefield? Tor Anroc is supposedly a ruin, so I don't know if I suggest that either. I'll get back to you about cities in Chrace and Cothique, I'm pretty sure they have one each listed on the maps. Finally, I suggest you add some of the famous fortresses in Aunnulli Mountains. The eagle Gate at least, maybe the Griffon Gate or the Dragon Gate, but Probably not all 6.

I don't know if you want to keep the castle/city distinction from Medieval, but I like it. If you like, I can offer thoughts about which settlement should be which.

Hope this helps!

edit-for clarity
    Last edited by Caradrayan; 04-25-2008 at 01:36.

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

"I think High elfs should have a strong navy, maybe a large portion of their coast should be inaccessible for landing troops (the side opposed the the old world) as to represent the mists that protect Ulthuan. The dark elf side should be open to raids, naturally"

Well iirc, you could do it as the area around the isle as deep ocean, so only certain ships could pass through. Then make it so that only the dark elves, High elves, and orcs and goblins, (You have to recreate WAAAGH!!! Grom the Paunch you know) can build ships capable of sailing through deep ocean areas. (kinda like how they limit you so you can't find the aztecs until you build larger seafaring boats.
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

So, I've gotten my book out, and given some thought to how the territories of the High elves should be arranged.

as visual aides, I will link to a map.

http://forboards.tripod.com/Ulthuan.html

Obviously, the simplest way to divide Ulthuan is by kingdom. This suggestion gives us 10 provinces in Ulthuan proper. I don't think the blighted isles or the Isle of the dead should be passable. The sword of Khaine and the Mages on the isle are important artifacts of the fluff, but the players should not be able to interact with them.

Now, what settlements should represent each province? Some are obvious, others not so much. Cothique and Avelorn have no strategic locations listed at all on any map I know of. I will address each province and give my suggestions in order.

First the obvious locations:

The province of Eataine should be represented by the city of Lothern. This is the largest city in Ulthuan, and should be the faction capital. I suggest putting it on a small land bridge between the two halves of the province, so that ships are not needed to move troops from one side of Ulthuan to the other, if you control the city.

The province of Ellyrion should be represented by the city of Tor Elyr. This would be a medium sized city.

The province of Chrace should be represented by Tor Achare. Chrace is not heavily populated, so I suggest the city be small, but with the most advanced military buildings it can support, as this province is vulnerable to dark elf and chaos invasion.

The province of Yvresse should be represented by Tor Yvresse. This would be another small city, having suffered from the invasion by grom the paunch.

Now for the locations I'm not as certain of.

Tiranoc: according to the novel, "Defenders of Ulthuan" Tor Anroc is a ruin, but still defended against dark elf attack. I will go ahead and suggest that the province be represented by Tor Anroc, but that it be a castle. This would also allude to Tiranoc being a poor province, sparcely populated.

Naggarythe: the Shadow Warriors of Naggarythe don't build large settlements. So, I suggest that this province be represented by one of the great fortresses of the Annulli Mountains, the Griffon Gate. This would be an advanced castle. Again, this represents a sparce population, little trade, and a warlike focus.

Cothique: Cothique is not heavily populated, and it has no major settlements that I know of. So, here, I suggest just making up a city, Tor Lathain. It should be small, but with the most advanced docks it can support.

Saphery: The White tower of Hoeth is the obvious choice for a landmark, but according to the fluff, it moves by magic and can only be found by those it allows to find it. This could just be ignored for the mod, not everything will be accurate of course, and if it is, then I suggest making it an advanced castle, so at least it's easy to defend.

Caledor: The only landmark in this Province is Vaul's anvil. This could be a settlment, but it doesn't make much sense to me. I suggest just making up a name for a castle. Caledor is a small kingdom with alot of martial pride, so a castle makes sense. Call it Sarathai, and put it on the inside of the mountains, because Caledor is an inner kingdom.

Avelorn: This is the oddest of my suggestions, to my mind. instead of making up a settlement for Avelorn, have it be represented by the Eagle gate, much as I suggested using the Griffon gate to represent Naggarythe. It would be an advanced castle which blocks the pass from Naggarythe to Avelorn.

That ends it, if you take my suggestions, Ulthuan will have 5 cities and 5 castles, and I think the provinces will be well represented.

Geography suggestions:

I would make the Annulli mountains difficult to cross. According to the fluff, they are, the inner and outer kingdoms are so far from each other that their inhabitants have developed different attitudes values. the only paths through would be the Eagle and Griffon gates I mentioned as settlements, and the lowlands of Eataine.

Yvresse is protected by mists and shifting islands and shoals. I would suggest making this area deep water that no ship can pass through. It's really just a fluffy protection for one province.

Finally, my understanding is that the City of Arnhiem on the shores of Naggaroth is still inhabited by high elves. it could serve as an 11th province if you decide to include it.

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

If you use kingdoms you could probably represent the mountain passes by permanent forts? And I think that Arnhelm should be a rebel province probably.

Awesome Cold One Knight Member Goncalou's Avatar

"Obviously, the simplest way to divide Ulthuan is by kingdom. This suggestion gives us 10 provinces in Ulthuan proper. I don't think the blighted isles or the Isle of the dead should be passable. The sword of Khaine and the Mages on the isle are important artifacts of the fluff, but the players should not be able to interact with them."

I think that the fluff artifacts and places should be included and, if possible make them like the wonders in RTW.
    It's a fool's race to be run, if all is lost if it be won.

Awesome Cold One Knight Member Goncalou's Avatar

I know i know i should edit my last post, but i don't want or need to because i'm just posting this here so i can have all the last post by ________ thing all say Goncalou and all be on the same day. Yeah!
    It's a fool's race to be run, if all is lost if it be won.

Quote Originally Posted by Caradrayan View Post
    I suggest making the regional troops linked to guilds, Seaguard, White lions, Swordmasters, Dragonprinces, and Chariots all fall into this category.
    I strongly disagree. More often than any other army High Elves do use Special units (like this units are). Linking them to guild will reduce they numbers unproportionaly. Any way - they should stay regional or single-castle/town commisioning units.

As a keen high elves player from days gone by i thought i would make my suggestions

firstly the geography: avelorn should have a small city as it has the court of the everqueen.
    and Tor Yvresse (or however its spelt) should be a big city not a small city, as while it suffered under grom the paunch it still remains one of the few large elven cities.

the blighted isle should definately be a region... probably starting off in the hands of the dark elves as according to all the fluff they are constantly fighting over it.

also if im right i seem to remember they have two out posts, one in lustria & one at the southern tip of the old world, the citadels of dawn & dusk or sumin, that could be very small cities/fortresses or merely just have a small force of elves starting there?

troops:

spearmen - maybe 2 or 3 different types to represent how some are more skilled than others?
    archers
    sea guard (regional to eataine?)
    Silver helms cavalry
    dragon princes cavalry (regional to celador)
    white lions (regional to chrace?)
    phoenix guard (possibly regional to eataine as that is where the phoenix king is located)
    swordmasters (regional to saphery)
    tiranoc chariots (regional to tiranoc)
    white lion chariots (regional to chrace) - slower but more powerful than tiranoc ones
    bolt throwers
    shadow warriors (regional to nagarthe)
    ellyrion reavers -horse archers (regional to ellyrion)

would it be possible to create great eagles and dragons??
    and also being new to this i dont know if magic is going to be brought in, but mages should be regional to saphery.

navy:
    hawk ships - fast & reasonably armoured (no elven ship is weak)
    eagle ships - slower but more heavily armoured, the mainstay of the elven fleet
    dragon ship - the "battle ship" of the high elves, only capable of being built in the docks of lothern (i.e. regional to eataine)

ok, so my thoughts include alot of regional troops. now i think this would reflect how the majority of elven armies are the basic spearman and archer, and also put great importance on holding their home territories and how devastating a blow it is to lose even a single region of ulthuan.