Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New installer for Europa Barbarorum with Barbarian Invasion

Default Re: New installer for Europa Barbarorum with Barbarian Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Ferromancer View Post
    Okay. I've now updated everything to work with version 1.1 of EB! Please redownload it. REMEMBER TO UNINSTALL THE OLD EB FOR BI FIRST!

As far as the permanent fixes, I'll think about adding them at some point, maybe as a part of the main section or as a separate check box. I'll have to investigate.

I've updated the first post with all the new information regarding the installer.
    i think the permanent fixes should definitely be included...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Okay, I took a look at the permanent fixes and the optional fixes, and it *might* be possible to put them as a separate checkbox, but this will require a little bit of effort on my part. I can't include them in the main section, because that means that my installer would be completely useless whenever a new version of EB comes out (currently the main section works with *every* version of EB). I will not include the temporary fix (it's temporary and requires manipulation that's beyond the ability of the installer). I'll try to get this done within a week.
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

Ok, so IF, i install the mini mod EB/BI and then install the following mods
    1-AI unit formation mini mod
    2-city mod restriction mini mod
    3-Spoilers of battle mini mod
    4-forced diplomacy
    5-Perm, Temp fixes

will it work? will i have all those mini mods, plus the EB/BI, with night battles/warcry, and the BI features?

if not, how do i put all these together?(considering those mine mods does not change the EDU i guess)
    Last edited by Havok.; 06-23-2008 at 17:34.
    Ser mineiro é, antes de tudo, um estado de espírito.

El bien perdido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfhJy6JwPg
    A don Jose! Oriental en la vida e en la muerte tambien!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok. View Post
    4-forced diplomacy
    5-Perm, Temp fixes

will it work? will i have all those mini mods, plus the EB/BI, with night battles/warcry, and the BI features?

if not, how do i put all these together?(considering those mine mods does not change the EDU i guess)
    If you select ONLY THE FIRST CHECKBOX in my installer, you will be fine but you definitely won't get warcry/shieldwall/canswim or night battles. The other mods will run with BI just fine. You will also be able to run the uninstaller to go back to EB with regular RTW--while preserving the other mods you isntalled.

On the other hand, if you check all the boxes in my installer then install those mods, you will likely lose shieldwall, and night battles may not even work, and it's possible that lots of stuff will crash. Also the uninstaller for my mod will be hosed, so if you run it lots of weird things will happen.

As far as the permanent/optional fixes go, give me a few days to incorporate them into my installer.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok. View Post
    4-forced diplomacy
    5-Perm, Temp fixes

The mods seem to be compatible with each other so that should not be the problem. However the Spoils of Victory micro-mod does use files (export_descr_character_traits.txt and EBBS.txt) that will be overwritten by the fixes.

To make it work I would recommend to do the steps as you have said, except for No.3.

Install Spoils of Victory as the last by copying manually relevant parts of the modded files to your fixed game files - see the bundled readme file for details on what my changes in those files are and where to find them.

Good luck!
    Last edited by V.T. Marvin; 06-25-2008 at 09:31. Reason: Grammar :-(

Good news folks! I've been tweaking my installer for the past few days since I've released the version compatible with 1.1, and I'm very happy the results. It now groups the installer options in a tree so that you know which ones are required for what. It will also automatically detect the old installation and remove it for you in case you forget. But that's not all. Now the installer also includes:

• Permanent Fixes and Optional fixes to EB 1.1
    • Optional removal of magic floating banners / selection triangles

I've also added more screenshots the end product at the download link for those skeptics out there.

And if you're too lazy to go back to the first page of the post, here's the download link again.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Playing KH my generals no longer have the ability to rally their troops since the shieldwall icon takes the place of it ... can this be changed so they can still rally their units!

Quote Originally Posted by dutch81 View Post
    Playing KH my generals no longer have the ability to rally their troops since the shieldwall icon takes the place of it ... can this be changed so they can still rally their units!
    Typically the rally symbol is only replaced if the general is a "helper general" as opposed to the main general of the army. Can you confirm this?
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

awesome! downloading now.
    thanks

No it was the only General in the stack ... it was my stack in Crete w/ my faction leader in fact during my first move. Now the shield wall seems very powerfull as I decimated the enemy who did not assume the shieldwall formation despite the fact they were on the defensive.

No it was the only General in the stack ... it was my stack in Crete w/ my faction leader in fact during my first move. Now the shield wall seems very powerfull as I decimated the enemy who did not assume the shieldwall formation despite the fact they were on the defensive.
    It's most likely that the decimation had more to do with the fact that the Greek general units have very high stats than the fact you were using a shieldwall.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to have rally and shieldwall appear at the same time.

I'm tempted to just leave the KH general with shieldwall than replace it with rally, since generals have a moral boosting radius around them already.

I could put it up as a poll in a new thread so that people can vote on it.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Member Member Quirinus Kuhlmann's Avatar

Dear Ferromancer,

I just installed your mod on top of a clean EB with RTW Gold-Edition. When trying to enter the single player section I then got the "please select an item from the list" message. Closing down the game I got the following error report:
    Script error in eb/data/world/maps/campain/barbarian_invasion/descr_strat-txt at line 1, column2:
    Expected campain or battle map type
    I installed the mod into the main RTW folder, which in Gold Edition includes BI and RTW. Did I make a mistake?

I would be thankful for help and advice!

Dear Ferromancer,

I had a similar problem to Quirinus, so I uninstalled everything, I did a RTW install, BI install and then EB1.1, the only thing I've changed is the Activision folder is no longer in programme files.

I then installed your mod, I unchecked the banners box.

When I tried to run the game I got blank screen with " Generic Error unable to find skeleton "fs_fast_gladius" followed by CTD.

I unistalled Mod, re-downloaded it re-installed and same error message!

Any help, I loved playing 1.0 with your Mod, and had no problems.
    "Tell them I said something......"
    Pancho Villa
    Completed; Rome AD14!

After uninstalling the mod, I noticed another minor phenomenon, which is not disturbing in any way but still remarkable: My Generals still get the Night Fighter trait in vanilla EB. Of course they can't fight night battles, but the trait they have. Besides this, everything works fine so far, so I am far away from complaining about anything. Still wanted to mention it. Maybe the unistaller forgot to uninstall parts of the mod.
    Like Chris1959 I think, this mod sounds very promising and interesting, and so I would appreciate some help so that I can play it. Besides this: Thank you for taking the time creating it and improving this wonderful game!

Just done a complete re-install, defrag etc, this times in Programma Files and I got the same error and message as Quirinus
    "Tell them I said something......"
    Pancho Villa
    Completed; Rome AD14!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1959 View Post
    Dear Ferromancer,

I had a similar problem to Quirinus, so I uninstalled everything, I did a RTW install, BI install and then EB1.1, the only thing I've changed is the Activision folder is no longer in programme files.

When I tried to run the game I got blank screen with " Generic Error unable to find skeleton "fs_fast_gladius" followed by CTD.

I got the exact same message, so I uninstalled everything and started over. RTW, 1.3, 1.5, then BI, then 1.6, then EB 1.1, then your mod. THIS time, the mod starts up, shows the Barbarorus loading screen, then freezes. It stops responding and when I terminate the program, the option to send an error report pops up.

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2a8b.dir00\RomeTW-BI.exe.mdmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2a8b.dir00\appcompat.txt

that's the information I could get from it...

I'll keep messing with it and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

Thank you Thrawny and good luck!

I solved the problem for me by following the instructions in this post:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...3&postcount=85

and then installing the mod.
    I followed only the ones about renaming the files and did not create a shortcut, because the installer does that. While installing it seemed to be a little irritaded and got stuck for a while with the loading bar twisting about, but then it finished successfully and I could start a campain. So far it works fine, though I did not have the time to test a lot yet.
    Good luck to you, Chris and Thrawny.

Just wanted to send a postive word out as well ... I had no problem w/ your install and the game has been very stable (somehow more stable then my EB v1.1). I really appreciate your efforts and think they really paid off ... keep up the good work!

My only suggestion is that less troops be able to swim there are some troops that have quite a bit of armor and are still able to swim ... I think that only the lightest (unarmored) of troops should be able to swim.

Another suggestion for consideration is to bring down the expense for the maintenance of navies not because it wasn't expensive but you just end up with stacks of pirates because no one can maintain a proper navy. Especially playing with BI (not officially supported by EB) the computer is actually capable of some raiding and a navy becomes more important, enough so that some landbridges could be removed. Now people complain the stacks they bring are small and I have rarely seen anything bigger then 10 but even a 5-6 unit stack can bring me a world of hurt in Italy as I rarely have a garrison bigger then 1 slinger / or a general in a city. Also pirates should only be able to bloackade damaging the player economically, and take out the odd transport, a proper navy should win out 90% of the time. If the pirate stats were brought down even more the 1 attack maybe 2 defend and their spawn rate was actuaslly increased the economic damage they could do would be increased ... at the same it would motivate the powers to maintain at least a small navy and give them a chance to defeat the pirates at sea.

Hi , I am very interested in this add-on, but is it possible to install only perm. fixes and not temp. ones? I have client ruler script removed from my game and temp. fixes would mess my game up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_LT View Post
    Hi , I am very interested in this add-on, but is it possible to install only perm. fixes and not temp. ones? I have client ruler script removed from my game and temp. fixes would mess my game up.
    I don't have any temporary fixes in my installer. Only the permanent and optional ones.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Another suggestion for consideration is to bring down the expense for the maintenance of navies not because it wasn't expensive but you just end up with stacks of pirates because no one can maintain a proper navy. Especially playing with BI (not officially supported by EB) the computer is actually capable of some raiding and a navy becomes more important, enough so that some landbridges could be removed. Now people complain the stacks they bring are small and I have rarely seen anything bigger then 10 but even a 5-6 unit stack can bring me a world of hurt in Italy as I rarely have a garrison bigger then 1 slinger / or a general in a city. Also pirates should only be able to bloackade damaging the player economically, and take out the odd transport, a proper navy should win out 90% of the time. If the pirate stats were brought down even more the 1 attack maybe 2 defend and their spawn rate was actuaslly increased the economic damage they could do would be increased ... at the same it would motivate the powers to maintain at least a small navy and give them a chance to defeat the pirates at sea.
    Historically speaking, navies are expensive to maintain. Pirates blockading ports is a simulation of pirates plundering your trade traffic. Once you secure a bunch of coastal cities in an area, the pirate navies tend to die down. Or you have a significant fleet on patrol.

If facing naval invasion, either you keep decent stacks of units where invasions take place, or build a navy.

Of course, you could always mod the unit costs of navies yourself.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1959 View Post
    Dear Ferromancer,

If you've installed the game in a different location than the default in program files, you have to point the installer to the new location. Try reinstalling again and picking the correct folder when prompted to do so.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Just wanted to send a postive word out as well ... I had no problem w/ your install and the game has been very stable (somehow more stable then my EB v1.1). I really appreciate your efforts and think they really paid off ... keep up the good work!

My only suggestion is that less troops be able to swim there are some troops that have quite a bit of armor and are still able to swim ... I think that only the lightest (unarmored) of troops should be able to swim.
    Can you remember which units seemed odd with the swim ability? I can take a closer look at the EDU then.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Butcher Of Romans Member Aut Nihil's Avatar

Good day everyone,

I tried installing your mod after I did a fresh install off EB on top of BI but when I get ingame and try to click 'Main Campaign' it gives me 'Please select an option from the list below' and I can only chose 'Historical battle' or 'custom battle'.

Then when I close EB it gives me an error message saying: "Script error in eb/data/world/maps/barbarian_invasion/descr.strat.txt at line 31, column 1." "Expected start date of campaign or battle"

Any idea on what I did wrong exactly?

Cheers
    "Nothing is so well fortified that money can not capture it" Cicero

"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools say something because they have to speak" - Unknown

sounds like you pointed the installer to the wrong directory...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

I chose the following path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War

"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools say something because they have to speak" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Aut Nihil View Post
    I chose the following path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War
    The default path that my installer points to is the same default folder of a typical RTW installation. If you choose not to install in the default folder, my installer has to point TO THE SAME DIRECTORY.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

And so I did ... RTW is installed on my D drive, not C and I just changed the drive letter to 'D' during the install ... still doesn't work.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast