Thread: Vanilla Elephants

Member Member Centurion Crastinus's Avatar

Default Vanilla Elephants

Does anybody remember those gigantic elephants from Vanilla RTW? Those things were huge. Was it a game glitch or what?

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Default Re: Vanilla Elephants

You mean the mumakil? thoose were a sort of easter egg, I belive, though I never played with it long enough to see them.

They are still in eb, for some obscure reason, despite all the whinning about how there aren't enough slots.

Prehaps they are historicaly accurate
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

No, they were named Yustabeb or something like that. They looked like the elephants from "Return of the King."

You're talking about cheat oliphants, right?

I think they left them in game because they can be summoned via console, so maybe deleting them can make the game crash or something, not sure.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjmehrer07
    They looked like the elephants from "Return of the King."

Hence why I called them Mumakil.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Yeah, they will spawn in rebellions or through cheat even if they don't exsist, causing a crash, so they are in EB still. I've, personally, never seen them...

They're "Yutseb" elephants - Bestbuy spelled backwards. They spawned in the Amazonian province of Hyperboria (northwest of Germany).

I never saw them in my 1.5 version and my game crashed when I tried to spawn them... :(
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

They will still cause a crash in any battles they're in, so I still think we should remove them.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Unless, of course they are required because the internal code refers to them... (If I understood MAA correctly this is what it hints at.) The reason why they cause crashes could be because they require a dynamically adjusted skeleton - i.e. they kinda circumvent the dmb which is a really bad idea.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Oh, this is the first time I've heard that. Quite possible.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

So why would they put them in the game in the first place? Maybe a joke? They were frustrating as hell.

The Yutseb elephants description is something like: "lord of shiny things that man does not need..."
    and is a parody of "Bestbuy" spelled backwards. So yes, it was a joke... :D
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cmon they put flaming pigs and screeming women in the game. Ofcause its a joke

So can you get them in EB? It would be a nice addition to my Spartan army of KH.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Yes you can. Type "yubtseb" in the console and you should get a hugeish cause of CTDs spawned in your capital.

================
    ================

Post Re: Vanilla Elephants

I have seen them in Hyperboria, as well as in some of the gladiator uprisings where the units were not actually Velite/Samnite Gladiators (they are not always in those kinds of uprisings). The Hastati took them out after suffering heavy casualties. They have (I think) twelve archers in the basket. They are rare, I have not seen them often. I think they may be a starting unit in Themiskyra (the town in Hyperboria), usually by the time I get there somebody else has taken it, even if they have been kicked out by the time I got there, so the elephants would have been wiped out already. Ditto for the Amazon Chariots. Too bad you can't hire them as mercenaries...
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

They are actually "the children of G'nitek'ram, the God of Shiny Things that Man does not Need but Desires Anyway". G'nitek'ram is 'marketing'
    spelled backward, and like you said, Yubtseb is BestBuy spelled backward.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 06-02-2014 at 19:48.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Hah, Hyperboria. I remember sending an army there as Egypt when I got bored with my Egypt campaign, I think I was 16 or something. One of the coolest campaigns I ever did. After cutting a swathe through Eurasia, and exterminating like 10 cities, I finally made it there. By then the original expeditionary force was a motley crew of freaks from all corners of the world. Elephants, barbarian mercs, scythian horse archers, a core force of triple gold chevron native troops, and I think a single Egyptian chariot who was the mascot of my army. Once I finally found the mysterious Amazons, I was surprised to find an army composed entirely of women on chariots wearing Corinthian helmets, all of them led... by a man.