Thread: Roma Surrectum 2.0 -- Previews and Discussions

Default Roma Surrectum 2.0 -- Previews and Discussions

Greetings from the RS team!

As you may know, we're hard at work on a complete overhaul of our mod, version 2.0, and eager to share some of our work with you!

This thread is going to offer up some sneak peaks at new units, buildings, traits, scripts, our new map -- every aspect of the new Roma Surrectum. This gives us a place outside of our faction previews to share works in progress and get feedback -- what do you like, what don't you like, what do you want to see, and how much do you love Rome? (dvk insisted on that last bit... :D)

One of the key elements of RS 2.0 is a total revamp of the Celts -- a truly extraordinary people who spread from Britain to Asia Minor -- fine craftsmen, fearless explorers, crafty traders and, of course, bloodthirsty warriors! We don't feel that they've ever been given the respect they deserve in RTW, and we aim to change that. RS 2.0 will feature three Celtic factions and many additional Celtic units covering Europe from the windswept Caledonian highlands to the mountain strongholds of Galatia. The Celtic hosts in RS2.0 will be something to behold, and so we start off this thread of previews with a brand new unit -- the Gallic Champions!

GALLIC CHAMPIONS

Gallic Champions are the the best of the best -- elite Gallic warriors who have blooded themselves many times in battle. These men are utterly ruthless, but they are not wild-eyed fools -- they know when to charge, and when to hold their line and await the enemy. Their morale is beyond question, and their discipline rivals that of Rome's legions. They fight in close-knit bands, bound by blood-oath to a warlord or noble and always ready to die for their cause -- but too canny to throw their lives away needlessly like those idiot naked fanatics!

Celtic warfare was based on individual heroism and acts of valor -- battles between Celtic armies often began with one-on-one combat, as champions from each side would challenge each other to duels fought in the no-man's land between the watching hosts. A man could become a legend in his tribe by fighting such a duel -- or end up with his skull used as a wine cup!

Gallic Champions are these men -- veterans of many years combat, cold-eyed killers who have sent many a foe to his grave. They are outfitted simply but effectively, with excellent Gallic chainmail and a solid Celtic shield, a stout spear for use in defensive formations, and the classic Celtic longsword to hack their way through an enemy line.

The Gallic Champion is the ultimate in Gallic heavy infantry -- combining the infamous Celtic charge with the solid discipline required to form a shieldwall or repel cavalry. They are few in number and very expensive, but are powerful enough to turn the tide of battle if used properly...

[Stats: excellent moral and excellent discipline, can form close formations, excellent armor, bonus v. cavalry, elephants, and chariots, can form shield wall, powerful charge, inspires nearby units, excellent melee ability - very expensive heavy infantry.]

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 2.0 -- Previews and Discussions

So far, you've been blessed with the creations of Tone and AE in the form of awesome units with which you will fight your battles. But perhaps it's time you got a peek of where and how you will recruit these units. I'll have to start with the Romans, since it's the only 'system' that has fairly complete descriptions.

The Roman recruitment and colonization system is based upon the 'Oppidum', basically, a process where the Romans built their own towns in newly conquered regions, and encouraged colonists to inhabit them. This is the second level:

The levels in full are as follows.

-------------------------------------------------
    Pre-Imperial reforms buildings available in Rome only;

Legion Barracks (to be renamed)
    Army Barracks (to be renamed)
    Field of mars

Post Imperial reforms building:

Castra Praetoria (Praetorian legions in Rome)

---------------------------------------------------
    Pre-Imperial reforms buildings available outside Rome:

Roman Oppidum, Initial
    Roman Oppidum, Organization
    Roman Oppidum, Colonization
    Roman Oppidum, Provincial
    Campus Martius (Marian Reforms) Field of mars: First named Legions appear
    Provincial Cvria Hostilia (a municipium, self-governed province)

---------------------------------------------
    Post Imperial Reforms in addition to above (Imperial Legions appear):

Roman Castra (Fort): can only be built in a Legion AOR
    Limes Romanus : can only be built in Europe in Legion AOR's
    Eastern Limes Deserta: can only be built in the east in Legion AOR's

The Provincial Cvria Hostilia mentioned above will be the lesser version of the major 'municipium' in Rome, pictured below.

This will greatly alter the Roman recruitment system...mixing Government, colonial, and military structures into two trees of buildings....and it will be unique to the Romans. So in order to recruit anything, you'll have to build Roman buildings everywhere.

We've already shown you this Celtic light swordsman, but putting it here keeps things together. The first of the Celtic factions is nearly complete and we'll be able to do an in-game preview soon:

One of the 'banes' of RTW that seems to plague all players is either rampant population or decimated cities with no population that the AI stripped of people...or you exterminated or enslaved. Very inconvenient when you need cash and warriors to continue the building of an Empire. So two new building trees have been added to RS2 to alleviate these problems.

Cities overfolwing with people?
    Constant plagues and unhappiness, with nothing left to build?
    Well, build:

The word 'suburb' is based on the Roman 'subora'...which was a district in Rome with tenements, apartments, shops and generally lower-class to mid-class people lived. It was built to accomadate the burgeoning population of Rome. But this 'building' will be available to all factions.

The levels of this tree are:

Suburbs
    Village
    Town
    City

And as you build each level, the population declines in the parent city, while small trade and health bonuses are applied.

Now, the opposite problem. Population has dipped below acceptable levels. A city has been so rebellious that it's people needed to be 'removed'. You take a Large City and it has only a few thousand people in it? Build:

This is a simple tree that greatly enhances and encourages population growth, and there are three levels that each increase growth.

And all of these 'buildings'.....systems of accomplishing something, really, can be destroyed once they have served their purpose.

Really a great mod.
    Fantastic work on map, scripts and graphics.
    3 questions.
    1) Could you tell approximately when 2.0 is coming out?
    2) Is it possible to make the game running slower?
    3) Is there a possibility to implant 4 turns a year?

I am used to EB and like the slower advance.

Mes homages.

Things as they say can only go better, sometimes...

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Germaan

Really a great mod.
    Fantastic work on map, scripts and graphics.
    3 questions.
    1) Could you tell approximately when 2.0 is coming out?

At least a couple of months away, though patch 1.5 will be out shortly.

2) Is it possible to make the game running slower?

You could try playing with 1-turn recruitment instead of 0-turn, but what exactly do you mean by running slower?

3) Is there a possibility to implant 4 turns a year?

You can include a 4tpy script, but various things most particularily age related traits won't wory correctly.

Just a note, typically your second and third points are not possible to do together since a 4tpy mod speeds up the game drastically.

I am used to EB and like the slower advance.

Mes homages.

I've answered your questions, if you have any others feel free to post.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Thank you for the answers.
    You are right i was not thinking, it is not the same with 4 turns. Also the release off 1.5 is wat i meant but after reading the coming changes in 2.0 i automatically wrote 2.0. BTW, the game is even getting better with every minute playing. What i meant was slower moving; not so slow that it look like the are running at the same place but so that you have more time to make decisions before the battle start and the battles take longer also. I guess i will get use to make quicker moves or use pause.
    Again thanks.
    Things as they say can only go better, sometimes...

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

What are the Celtic factions going to be?
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

You'll just have to wait and find out, we aren't releasing that information just yet.

Can't wait, keep up the good work.

I haff 1.5, very nice mod can't wait for next installment. No, wait. I could play on this one i have for years

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

It's been a couple of months since Germaan posted his question so I would like to restate it...

When is RS 2.0 coming out? (an appoximate date would be excellent) I would like to know so I can cancel all activities that day, and tell people not to call me that day.

I'm just kidding, I'm not that obsessed

...But seriously.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

When will RS come out? We're probably talking another couple of / few months or so....

By the way, check out the latest preview - Macedonia http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150373
    Modeller and skinner for Roma Surrectum

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

SWEEEEEET!!!!
    I hope you know you've only done one thing: Raise my already high expectations even higher for RS 2.0.

In the next couple of months? Excellent!!!

Good Luck and well done to the entire RS team!!!
    Last edited by Good Ship Chuckle; 03-04-2008 at 22:18.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

This is an awesome mod, I hope you fix the cheats for all the settlements(process_cq)

The simple fix, don't use it. If you don't use it won't do anything.

From a random post somewhere:
    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    I certainly am no expert on the subject matter of the scythed chariots, but my common sense tells me that a scythed chariot drawn by four horses in a row as on this picture:
    is highly improbable, becuse the four horses one beside another are WIDER than than the span on the axle-scythes thus negating their effect. It would make much more sense to have the chariot and its horses rather narrow in order to allow for exploiting any gaps in th enemy line and cut the by-standing soldiers by th scythes. Therefore I am inclined to think that either there were only two horses to chariot or that four horses were arranged in two pairs in a tandem...
    he's got a point....
    Last edited by The Fuzz; 01-12-2009 at 17:04.

Just wondering, is total war center down or something? Will you guys be posting more previews here?

I really like some of your ideas keep up the good work guys

I am a fan of the current version but, simple things let the game down such as, it uses the same soundtrack as the origional RTW which is getting boring tbh. Also the lack of units in the bigger factions such as the seluecid empire, carthage and the potolemaics compared to the roman counterpart, Unit descriptions and general information compared to other Mods is lacking which is a shame when the game play is better. If these issues could be sorted it would be possibly the best mod for RTW.
    From Olaf the Great

"Fight for your country -- that is the best, the only omen! ..." - Hector

How could I have missed a mod like this?! This is fantastic guys! Without a doubt, I think it is the best RTW mod ever made (though I have not played the new version of the LoTR mod yet ). I have been working on a mod to make RTW more historically accurate for over a year now, but after playing your mod, I gave up. There really is no use, lol. Great job!
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

ha! found a way of communicating with you guys! what in the world is wrong with twcenter again???
    alea iacta est

it's down again :( It's something with crahing discs and someone being away or something... paedric explained it in the team thread :)

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    ha! found a way of communicating with you guys! what in the world is wrong with twcenter again???
    I guess all the servers are down. This has been the longest i have seen yet! But so you will know, we are working on the Modd. We receive updates daily, and we work on them.
    Soon we will be back up.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Good to know TWC's downtime isn't interrupting beta testing of RS2.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.