Thread: Need info from anyone familiar with major league soccer!!

Default Need info from anyone familiar with major league soccer!!

Ok, so, my team, Vålerenga, have bought an american goalie, Troy Perkins from DC United.

As I have no knowledge of football overseas at all, my question is simple; who is this guy? Is he any good?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Need info from anyone familiar with major league soccer!!

Major lague what? Soccer? Never heard of it

I know, they've screwed the name... But hey, they're barbarians, so I feel it can be overlooked.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    I know, they've screwed the name... But hey, they're barbarians, so I feel it can be overlooked.
    Well, I was gonna go tell you all about Perkins, but I feel rather insulted now, so I don't think I will.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikhaan
    Well, I was gonna go tell you all about Perkins, but I feel rather insulted now, so I don't think I will.
    Awww....

I'm begging you, Great Master!

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Talking Re : Need info from anyone familiar with major league soccer!!

who is this guy? Is he any good?
    Well if he's going to play for Vålerenga in Norway he can't be that great, now can he?
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Troy Perkins is an even better as a goalie than Ronaldino is as a fullback.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Default Re: Re : Need info from anyone familiar with major league soccer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Well if he's going to play for Vålerenga in Norway he can't be that great, now can he?
    We have gotten our filthy hands on some very high quality players over the years, you know... John Obi Mikel was the latest, who played for Lyn.

But does anyone know this guy?

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We Americans follow MLS about as well as you Euros do.

Anyway, here's his Wiki bio. Good luck finding something else.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

I'm not familiar with the name, but Americans have produced some fine keepers.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Blog Entries

Awww....

I'm begging you, Great Master!
    Nah, I was kidding. I don't know squat about this Perkins guy. I have NEVER watched an American SOCCER game. I HAVE watched bits of European SOCCER when I went on a trip to Europe a couple summers ago, which happpened to coincide exactly with the World cup. For those two weeks, it seemed like the only things on tv when I tried to turn it on were: A) SOCCER. B) SOCCER. C) Post-game coverage of SOCCER on the news. D) Naughty, late-night German game shows. E) SOCCER.

So out of sheer volume of it being everywhere, I did glean a bit of what SOCCER is like. And I must say, I'm sticking with FOOTBALL from now on.(The good kind)
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 12-22-2007 at 07:00.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

if i get around to reinstalling football manager i can give you his stats off there, they're usually pretty close....
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

OMG why do you americanise this sport.
    Its football. Soccer is American stupid name for football.
    Football for european sport name is much older than football name for american (ok lets call it that) sport.

I have heard american football league is quite weak - mix of American youngsters and retired stars from European clubs. European clubs are great - 10 times better level makes watching much more interesting. So that kamikhaan - most of Europeans watches football :)

BTW is Mila still playing into Valerenga?
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

10 times better level makes watching much more interesting.
    Yes so instead of one goal and 5 minutes of excitement... there are 2 goals and 7 minutes of excitement...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Well... I was able to see him live in DC against the Dynamo("extension" team full of ex-SJ Earthquakes players- ma boys) and I'd have to say that he is quite good. I don't know if he's "up" to "European Standards" but he's definitely one of the better goalies in the league (Pat Onstad is the best). DC United made the semi's (like they do every year) and have been a top team in the country since their inception so he does come from a top quality team (by MLS standards and they make the CONCACAF Champions Cup (our version of the Champions League) every year and usually get farther than most US teams.
    Here's the team's website:
    DC United

I'd actually suggest the Houston Dynamo(excellent if I say so myself)
    Houston Dynamo

I personally support the San Jose Earthquakes (who became the Houston Dynamo hence my liking of their team and consider them "my" team and not Houston's "team")
    San Jose Earthquakes

GO QUAKES!!! Hopefully we won't suck as much as LA do muahaha

Hope any of it helped
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Ok, so, my team, Vålerenga, have bought an american goalie, Troy Perkins from DC United.

As I have no knowledge of football overseas at all, my question is simple; who is this guy? Is he any good?
    He's no Marvel.

(stand's back, waits for Gregoshi...)
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrooK
    This is pretty funny. Soccer is becoming Americanized at about the same rate escargot is. As much as I enjoy the World Cup and would like to be wrong about this, soccer isn't ever going to catch on here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KrooK
    Its football. Soccer is American stupid name for football.
    Football for european sport name is much older than football name for american (ok lets call it that) sport.

I have heard american football league is quite weak - mix of American youngsters and retired stars from European clubs. European clubs are great - 10 times better level makes watching much more interesting. So that kamikhaan - most of Europeans watches football :)

BTW is Mila still playing into Valerenga?
    Heh, I never once claimed American SOCCER was any better than European SOCCER. Additionally, I thought I made it fairly clear in the last post, but anyways, I completely understand that most of Europe loves SOCCER. I was just saying that for me, watching a SOCCER match is has the equivelant entertainment value of watching paint dry, even when its the much better, European game.(well, ok, I'll admit that I WAS entertained when Zidane headbutted that guy in the world cup, but that was about it)

Btw, its hardly 'americanised'. Practically nobody in the USA likes SOCCER, regardless of who's playing in the MLS. We're rather too busy watching FOOTBALL.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

American football is a joke, in some matches I saw on Channel 5 they had what looked like American Football markings on the pitch, there wasn't even a penalty box!? And this is the top league...

Obi Mikel is ****, he can't stay on the park for 10 minutes without trying to break somebody's legs.

And well said KrooK.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    American football is a joke, in some matches I saw on Channel 5 they had what looked like American Football markings on the pitch, there wasn't even a penalty box!? And this is the top league...

Obi Mikel is ****, he can't stay on the park for 10 minutes without trying to break somebody's legs.

And well said KrooK.
    Well it's certainly not the EPL. And the fact that it's not very popular here means that they have to share their stadiums with Football and Baseball teams. And ironically the USL (semi-pro league) teams are the ones that actually have their own stadiums with solid fan base's and in most cases get bigger crowds than MLS lol. Such is life eh?
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Need info from anyone familiar with major league soccer!!

The proper name is association football. Soccer is shorthand for association. Both British and American English use an abbreviation of association football, so either both or neither must be said to use an incorrect name.

Footy is doing just fine in America. It is not massive, it probably never will be. It's not rubbish either. They always send a decent team to the World Cup. I still remember last year's 1-1 draw against those rabid dogs from hell, eventual finalists Italy. Fantastic game, great battle.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I know the USA can always produce a strong national team, but many nations in Europe are like that where for whatever reason they have a strong national side but poor club football. Ireland being one example. They may reach the QF of the World Cup, but St. Patrick's Athletic will not be reaching the QF of the Champions League.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Most of the solid American players are in Europe-- Dempsey, Howard, Hayduk, Hanneman, Keller, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Feilhaber, Convey, etc.
    Same with the good Irish players: Duff, Given, McGeady, Johnny (O'Shea), Keane, Dunne etc. In fact, I cannot think of a current Irish national player who plays domestic football.
    Last edited by IrishArmenian; 12-30-2007 at 22:52.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    The proper name is association football. Soccer is shorthand for association. Both British and American English use an abbreviation of association football, so either both or neither must be said to use an incorrect name.

Footy is doing just fine in America. It is not massive, it probably never will be. It's not rubbish either. They always send a decent team to the World Cup. I still remember last year's 1-1 draw against those rabid dogs from hell, eventual finalists Italy. Fantastic game, great battle.
    We shoulda won that game. I think the refs helped them win and also gave an unnecessary red to Mastreoni (spelling) and Pope, but what can I say, Italy pays better

And so true Irish. Not to mention that it seemed that for a while half of France's team came from Arsenal lol.