Thread: Dragonlance: Total War F.A.Q.

Default Dragonlance: Total War F.A.Q.

UPDATED: Feb. 14th, 2010
    I keep getting asked the same questions, so I figured this might be a good idea. I've also tried to anticipate a few questions. If you have any, please add them to this thread and I'll update the main post.

What is the current status of the mod?
    I've just restarted this project after about a 3 year hiatus. I had become discouraged at the lack of interest in people staffing the project, and now I figure screw it, I'm doing this for me. If someone wants to help, great, if not, I can handle a basic functional mod on my own, and maybe I'll be able to reel some people in once I get a demo released. So we're back to a green light, but I'm not making promises.

What is the planned release date?
    "When it's done"

Why "Age of Mortals" rather than the more popular War of the Lance era?
    For two primary reasons; longevity and practicality.

Much like "Fourth Age: Total War", which has been asked why they don't cover the War of the Ring, the era in question is simply too short to do justice. The War of the Lance is only about 5 years long, and at the start the Whitestone forces are so fragmented and disorganized they'd have no chance against a Dragonarmy blitz. Not much fun starting from an impossible position. The entire game would be basically hanging on for dear life until the scripts said you can go forward, according to the progress of the Heroes of the Lance.

Moreover, it simply isn't practical to do the War of the Lance; a war the relies heavily on Dragons, which are virtually impossible to create in M2:TW. If I were able to do them, they would likely be shadows of their true selves, with no-where near the destructive ability they have in the books. No flight, no breath weapon... pretty boring dragon. During the Dragonpurge of the Fifth Age, the majority of Krynnish dragons were killed. By the Age of Mortals, they have not yet rebuilt their numbers... thus they're a non-factor, and thus Dragonlance can be done without sacrificing authenticity.

Do you plan on doing other ages in the future?
    No. But because I don't plan too doesn't mean it wont happen. It depends on the team, what we can accomplish through modeling. Clearly if I suddenly found myself an absolutely brilliant team that put together a dragon that could make the War of the Lance worthwhile, I'd consider it, though I'd likely start that campaign at the opening of the Fourth Age, just after the Cataclysm, for the sake of game balance.

You've mentioned different maps... will there be more than one campaign?
    I certainly hope so. I want to release stuff as I go. I am planning several provincial campaigns based on events in the Age of Mortals... specifically the ascendancy of the Emperor of Solamnia and the mainland invasion by the Minotaurs (see RISE OF SOLAMNIA trilogy by Douglas Niles and THE MINOTAUR WARS trilogy by Richard A. Knaak). Rise of Solamnia will include Humans (Solamnia), Hobgoblins (Lemish), and Dwarves (Kaolyn). Minotaur Wars will include Minotaurs (Mithas and Kothas), Ogres (Kern and Blode), Humans (Nerakans and Khur), and Elves (Silvanesti). That will give me enough to create a full campaign.

What factions will be in the game?
    As of right now, The Empire of Solamnia, The Knights of Solamnia, Throt, Lemish, The Knights of Neraka, Qualinesti, Silvanesti, Khur, Kern, Blode, Thorbardin, Daltigoth, and The Minotaur Isles are definite. Kendermore, Que-Shu tribes, the city-states of Sanction, Kalaman, Haven, and Tarsis, the Plains of Dust tribes, Nordmaar, the Blood Sea tribes, Onyx Order, and the Knights of Darkhaven are possibilities.

Why no Legion of Steel faction?
    While I feel the Legion is one of the few good things to come out of Fifth Age, it is not a military order proper, and does not have it's own state. One could argue that they have a strong influence in Solace, but Solace is an independent city state under no obligation to the Legion. If anything, Haven would have more right to "own" that area. The Knights of Solamnia has it's own state, based on Sancrist Isle. The Nerakans as well, based around the Nerakan valley. The Onyx Order are a sect of the Nerakans that have taken over rulership of Qualinesti, and the Knights of Darkhaven are ex-Nerakans that rule the Desolation (what was Kenderhome until the Great Dragon Malys destroyed it). They'll certainly be represented, but not as a faction unto itself.

How big will the campaign map be?
    As big as practical. Right now I'm making it approximately 275x200, but I'd like to go bigger. The problem is movement... make it too big, and I end up with a continent that seems massive, when Ansalon is only about 2/3rds the size of Europe. Think Spain to Germany.
    Last edited by adembroski; 02-15-2010 at 02:25.

Default Re: Dragonlance: Total War F.A.Q.

Nice good FAQ.
    Is there any progress on screenshots?
    I'd be willing to help.
    (in anything)

Quote Originally Posted by Eufarius
    Nice good FAQ.
    Is there any progress on screenshots?
    I'd be willing to help.
    (in anything)
    The biggest issue has been my lack of internet access. Since I'm an inexperienced modder, this means I need constant access to the board here to make any real progress. I've lost a lot of the progress I had... including the completed Knight of Solamnia units and the map, but I'll be entering the actual modding again within the week (planning stages mostly done, I'm not going to OVER plan when I'm not sure what I can pull off). So screen shots will be posted as I go.

Absolutely looking for help, but in an unofficial position as yet... in other words, I'm looking for freelance guys with more modding experience than me. Most especially, graphics people who can follow instructions and aren't afraid to be asked to redo something.

In other words, you're welcome to help with anything as long as you're not offended if I'm critical of your work. If something doesn't fit, I'm not going to pussy foot around about it, I'm going to tell you "don't like it, try something else". My standards aren't going to be unattainable, but I have source material I do want to match.

ok, thanks for the feedback, rite in graphical matters I truly can't help but in writing and other thing I can.
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Eufarius
    ok, thanks for the feedback, rite in graphical matters I truly can't help but in writing and other thing I can.
    Sorry.
    This is for right now... I'm sure in the long run, I'll need help in a lot of other areas, so please stay tuned!

I shall.

Hi Adembroski,

I'm a big fan of the DRAGONLANCE novels and a few days ago I decided to make Mod for M2TW on my one, not knowing that you have started with your own one.

Which Status is your mod yet? Do you have new models, like the elves, dwarfes and so on?

I'd like to start with my mod after the cataclysm but I do not yet know where to end my timeline.

Would you mind helping each other with our mods?

I'm looking forward to your answer...

Caramon352

Welcome to the forums, and why don't you guys join together or may Caramon you could show us some screenshots of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by caramon352
    Hi Adembroski,

I'm a big fan of the DRAGONLANCE novels and a few days ago I decided to make Mod for M2TW on my one, not knowing that you have started with your own one.

Which Status is your mod yet? Do you have new models, like the elves, dwarfes and so on?

I'd like to start with my mod after the cataclysm but I do not yet know where to end my timeline.

Would you mind helping each other with our mods?

I'm looking forward to your answer...

Caramon352
    I'd love too, but I'm really nowhere at the moment.

After the cataclysm is a REALLY tough place to start. There'd be a LOT of scripting involved. I'm starting around 430 AC, at the start of the Age of Mortals.

Well, I think you're right, with all that scripting.

But I love this period of time and the novels about it. About the age of mortals, I don't have such "good" knowledge and I don't really like those characters (It's the time of Mina, isn't it?).

Unfortunately I can't show you screens of my work, because I just started to begin reading tutorials and trying to make a map of ansalon...

But I would be very happy, if we stay in contact about our work. Perhaps we can contact each other with icq...

(I hope my english is good enough for you to understand me what I'm saying...)

I just worked on my map and a question occured.

How many regions did you make on your map? Do you refer exactly to dragonlance maps, or do you split regions your own way?

Quote Originally Posted by caramon352
    I just worked on my map and a question occured.

How many regions did you make on your map? Do you refer exactly to dragonlance maps, or do you split regions your own way?
    Little bit of both... I've only got 80 provinces right now, I plan on expanding that.

I just finished the "painting" of the regions and I have about 160. I think that should be enough.

Now it's time to place the villages and the castles...
    I hope I get the map running in the game.

Do you have a good Krynn Map with readable names of the villages a.s.o.?