Thread: Brit Buds: Yank Needs Cooking Help

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Default Brit Buds: Yank Needs Cooking Help

It's that Yorkshire Pudding thing.

New Years Day approaches rapidly, and I get to pick the meal, as long as I'm doing the cooking:

Prime Rib of Beef (just 'cuz I like it; 1 degree above rare). Pomme Frites (to remind us of our peasant heritage) . Fresh Green Beans & Onion (to invoke the hope of spring). Fresh (hot) horseradish (to recall that all prosperity comes with pain)...

And Yorkshire Pudding.

My last 3 attempts have failed - two 'rocks' and one 'swamp', if you get my meaning. The best I ever had was made by my ex-Mother-in-Law (pbuh). Warm. Soft. Sweet. Substantial. The pudding, I mean.

If you, your wife, your Mum, or your favorite chef, have a detailed, but (hopefully) not-too-complicated (remember: it's New Years) recipe, I'd be eternally grateful to see/read it.

Otherwise, I'll hafta fire up the grill and burn some burgers, hot dogs, and chicken. And the family will hate me again, whilst showing me smiling faces. I know what they're thinking...

Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Default Re: Brit Buds: Yank Needs Cooking Help

Brave man Kukri.

Havn't made Yorkshire pud for some time, however I do remember that it is essential to make the batter the day before and store it in the fridge.

Also when it comes to cooking smear the baking tray with beef dripping, if you can get it, or lard if you can't. Cook on a very high temperature, so it's smoking. Probably best to do last.

Hot oven and pretty fast is my advice.

Enjoy your traditional English Sunday roast.

If it does turn out a disaster, you can always buy preprepared ones as a back up, no where near as nice, but an option.

Also don't forget lashings of beer for afters.

Good luck.

EDIT: Word of caution; don't be tempted to open the oven and look to see if they're done, otherwise they'll collapse like soufle. In which case you'd be about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 12-27-2007 at 05:03.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by IA
    it is essential to make the batter the day before and store it in the fridge
    Tip #1. Thanks.

...beef dripping, if you can get it, or lard if you can't. Cook on a very high temperature, so it's smoking. Probably best to do last.

Hot oven and pretty fast is my advice.
    Tips #2, 3 & 4.

Many thanks.

Word of caution; don't be tempted to open the oven and look to see if they're done, otherwise they'll collapse like soufle.
    Yeah... Been there, done that. Same as with the roast, really, right?

The whole idea (if I get it right) is: scare it to death (by sudden immense heat), then gently, slowly... No really, very slowly.. cook.

Let fermentation and (rot) do its job.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan
    The whole idea (if I get it right) is: scare it to death (by sudden immense heat), then gently, slowly... No really, very slowly.. cook.

Let fermentation and (rot) do its job.
    IA has the right of it (as one would expect).

Mind you, there's no fermentation involved as far as I understand. Are you planning a bed (the batter filling the roasting tin and then being cut up into squares in the traditional manner) or little patties (individual puddings poured into a cake tin)? The first is the best, and soaks up the juices better - which is what puddings were originally designed to do.

For numbers, 225 degrees Celsius is recommended (425 F, Gas Mark 7) ie real hot. As IA notes, good beef dripping into the roasting tin (two to three tablespoons worth depending on size of tin). Put it in the oven for ten minutes till it's smoking - our housekeeper used to do this over direct heat, but she's a looney and I suspect one's curtains would smell of burnt cow for weeks. Pour in the batter, spread it around and back into the oven for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown. The centre is allowed to be soft as this is designed to catch the juices.

If you insist on the individual ones, the cooking time should be shortened. Hannah refuse to tell me to what, as she doesn't want to offer any encouragement towards that route.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

This page has several links to recipes that seem very similar to what was posted here with some more details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_pudding

Not being really British, the first time I got some Yorkshire pudding a few years back, I thought it was a nice desert (mind you as a first year student getting to the UK and wondering what's edible) only to find out that you couldn't just eat it raw and there wasn't any pudding in it per se. I suppose the British do not define pudding the same way continental Europeans do
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

This is how my mum makes them

Prep--5 minutes
    Cooking--40-45 minutes

--------------------

100g Flour
    pinch of salt
    1 egg
    300ml (1/2 pint) milk
    40g butter

----------------------

Here goes..

1.) sift flour and salt into bowl. Break in egg

2.) Gradually add half the milk while beating to a soft batter.

3.) add remaining milk and beat in to form smooth mixture

4.) pre-heat oven to 220*C (425 F) {Gas 7}. Put butter in 10x12 inch baking tin, bread tins work well here . Heat butter for 10 mins or until faint "haze" forms.

5.) pour in batter

6.) bake in centre of oven for 40-45 mins
    -----------------------------

Or you can divide mixture into bun trays for smaller puddings and these take around 20 minutes

enjoy!!!

BIG EDIT

omg nearly forgot to add:

Serve with lavish amounts of GRAVY for the reaql Yorkshire taste...Yorkshire boys love Gravy!!!!
    Last edited by mrdun; 12-27-2007 at 12:30.

Originally Posted by Me
    it is essential to make the batter the day before and store it in the fridge
    The trouble and strife was in bed when I posted (I had a toothache ) and upon consultation I was advised to bring the mixture up to room temperature before cooking.

Also 'she who must be obeyed' said cook for 20-25 minutes at 425 F, Gas Mark 7, as BG also suggested.

Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    Put it in the oven for ten minutes till it's smoking - our housekeeper used to do this over direct heat, but she's a looney and I suspect one's curtains would smell of burnt cow for weeks.
    You're Father Jack, aren't you?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    You're Father Jack, aren't you?
    There are days, my friend...

DRINNKK!

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

It is not essential for the batter to be room temp btw

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Not being really British, the first time I got some Yorkshire pudding a few years back, I thought it was a nice desert (mind you as a first year student getting to the UK and wondering what's edible) only to find out that you couldn't just eat it raw and there wasn't any pudding in it per se. I suppose the British do not define pudding the same way continental Europeans do
    There's nothing stopping you having Yorkshire pudding as a pudding. It is, after all, a close relation of the pancake. Cold Yorkshire pudding with sugar and butter or lemon on is nice.

As for cooking, IMHO the truly essential thing is to get that pan smokin' before you pour the batter in. I don't know about slow cooking after that, I leave it in with the roast at about 180C (fan oven, call it 200 for an ordinary one) for about 30 mins. Seems to work.

Mind you, I wouldn't claim to be a ninja of the Yorkshire pudding, merely a journeyman. I know my place, being a soft southerner and all.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent feedback. I shop tonight (on the way home from work) for the perfect roast and other ingredients.

I'll dutifully report results.

Try a dry run on the Yorkshire puds mate. Like my old gaffer used to say when I first started work.

"Nay need to rush into summat lad, it needs a good ten coats of looking at."

Wise words. (even if they did go over my head at 16y.o.)

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

How did it go? We's gots ta know
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Gah! I missed this thread. I can only hope you didn't forget the roast spuds to go with that.

I always use 4 ounces plain flour, 4 eggs, a pinch of salt and nearly half a pint of milk, Gas mark 7, approximately 25 minutes. Tray in the oven at least 10 minutes until the fat is smoking, pour the batter, place tray on top shelf and do not open the door until cooked.
    I find making the batter about 40 minutes beforehand is ample and no need to refrigerate.
    As Caravel says, roast potatoes and parsnips are another essential.

Hope you had a fluffy pillow and not a soggy blanket

........Orda

"Fluffy Pillow" it was, I'm happy to report.

I kind of split the difference on the times and temp - went 25 min at 425F degrees, and resisted the considerable temptation to open the hotbox and peek. I think that (leaving it alone), and the smoking drippings (with which Mrs. K was not initially fond - until she tasted the result), did the trick.

I don't know if it mattered, but I used a 12-inch wide cast-iron skillet this time, instead of an aluminum cake pan, as the last 3 times. I did let the batter sit for about a half-hour at room temp, just in case.

Number 2 son and wife were pleased - and I didn't need to liqour them up first.

Still have leftover rare roast. Some going for breakfast this morning - my own personal indulgence.

Thanks ever so much gents; you made the fourth time a charm.