Thread: Quiting my unhealthy eating patterns

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Quiting my unhealthy eating patterns

At first I wanted to do a parody on Sinan's smoking thread but as of yesterday, I realised that it may be more serious then I thought.

My name is Peasant Phill, ... and I have an unhealthy eating pattern.

I'm 24 (25 next month) years old, I'm 1m75 tall and yesterday I weighed 78 kg. That's not really bad but that's not the point. My problem is the fact that I can't stop eating. I eat meals at regular times but I keep on eating between them at an alarming rate. I once managed to quit for a few months and I lost 10 kg (from 83kg to 73kg). I'm looking to do the same now.

The biggest problem will probably be the drop in my sugar levels and all the consequences it'll have. I could use some advice and of course I'll keep a log.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Default Re: Quiting my unhealthy eating patterns

Maaan, go to the training hall and start building arms, legs, whatever you want. Will catch two hares at one time; then you'll want to weigh more :)

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

start eating more fish and eat some kind of fruit (Grape works like coffee) before eating. Drink more water

Try that

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

I think energy output is a good idea.
    Train, that way all that you're eating will go to good use.

Do you do any sports ? gym ?
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Well when I stopped eating crap a few months ago and started eating healthily, I only felt better for it. Although I was pretty bad to begin with so its maybe not a fair reflection.

My sugar levels dropped from nearly 10 to just over 6. Can't remember what the measurements were.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

You should expect in the first week or so you will feel a bit down, but after that, you'll feel much better. Probably will feel better in a couple of days. If the blood sugar deficiency is really serious, you could keep some glucose/dextrose around. Have a glass if you feel faint.
    Last edited by Shahed; 12-29-2007 at 22:37.

Nothing wrong with eating between meals, it's healthier than than the three meal a day pattern. Speeds up your metabolism.

You just have to eat less during the regular meals

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

As a result of my move to Australia, i've not had as much food to just be constantly eating, and subsequently i've lost half a stone and no longer have a beer belly. Plus, all the walking around the city in the heat also has helped. I've not been this fit and thin since i was much younger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Blog Entries

I started this because I really felt awful yesterday and the day before. I had eaten all I could and I still went on eating small things. Normal people only feel this way after christmas dinner or thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge
    Maaan, go to the training hall and start building arms, legs, whatever you want. Will catch two hares at one time; then you'll want to weigh more :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    I think energy output is a good idea.
    Train, that way all that you're eating will go to good use.

Do you do any sports ? gym ?
    Yep, I do sports. I play football (not the American kind) on sundays and indoor football (small goals, lots of short sprints) on wednesdays. When the competition ends, I go cycling on sundays (70-100 km). My condition is decent in comparison to others on both teams.

I'm not really into weights and all that. An endurances atlethe doesn't need a muscular upper body.
    I did go to the gym a few times but it just didn't do it for me. It's a lot of money and all I do is cycling, running and rowing. I can do those things on my own outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187
    start eating more fish and eat some kind of fruit (Grape works like coffee) before eating. Drink more water

Try that
    I eat fish at least once a week. Turkey and chicken also on a regular bases. I eat most fruits like I eat any kind of sweet.

Drinking water is something else. I only srink water during my meals and orange juice during the day. This means I drink at least 1 to 1,5l of orange juice a day. I'll start drinking water instead of OJ from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Nothing wrong with eating between meals, it's healthier than than the three meal a day pattern. Speeds up your metabolism.

You just have to eat less during the regular meals
    I know there is nothing wrong with eating between meals. It's recommended to eat 6 times a day in smaller amounts.
    I don't do that. I eat 3 big meals and between them I eat a few pieces of fruit, some yoghurt, half a packet of chocolat, some biscuits, nuts, ...

The problem is that eating is almost an addiction with me like smoking would be. I need the sugar rush. Also I somethimes eat to pass the time or to have something in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    Well when I stopped eating crap a few months ago and started eating healthily, I only felt better for it. Although I was pretty bad to begin with so its maybe not a fair reflection.

My sugar levels dropped from nearly 10 to just over 6. Can't remember what the measurements were.
    By crap you mean fatty foods or just a lot of sweets in between?

You should expect in the first week or so you will feel a bit down, but after that, you'll feel much better. Probably will feel better in a couple of days. If the blood sugar deficiency is really serious, you could keep some glucose/dextrose around. Have a glass if you feel faint.
    Well didn't eat between meal yesterday (apart from half an orange) and I had a hard time concentrating. I was also tired earlier although me sleeping bad the night earlier could be the culprit.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

When I said crap I meant fast food with lots of sweets/crisps/fizzy drinks in-between.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill
    At first I wanted to do a parody on Sinan's smoking thread but as of yesterday, I realised that it may be more serious then I thought.

My name is Peasant Phill, ... and I have an unhealthy eating pattern.

I'm 24 (25 next month) years old, I'm 1m75 tall and yesterday I weighed 78 kg. That's not really bad but that's not the point. My problem is the fact that I can't stop eating. I eat meals at regular times but I keep on eating between them at an alarming rate. I once managed to quit for a few months and I lost 10 kg (from 83kg to 73kg). I'm looking to do the same now.

The biggest problem will probably be the drop in my sugar levels and all the consequences it'll have. I could use some advice and of course I'll keep a log.

Thanks in advance.
    My tips for decreasing sugar levels:
    - Find good replacement things to eat that don't contain that much sugar, to make the transition to less sugar easier than by simply quitting all mini-meals
    - If eating often has become a tic, try to make yourself replace the eating tic by drinking a glass of water. This is so simple but has worked extremely well for myself.
    - If you don't eat a large breakfast right now, start doing so, and a lot of the need for sugar may disappear since you'll not be as tired during the day
    - Also try eating longer lasting food for lunch and dinner, as it will remove the tiredness that makes you want to eat between the meals
    - Tiredness from lack of sleep or stress may be confused with hunger, which may cause excessive eating. Decreased stress and increased sleep can solve this. A lot of people who try to sleep 8 hours a day forget that it takes time to fall asleep and get up, things which must be counted outside the daily 8 hours
    - Don't forget to consider your reactions to these changes. The idea isn't self-torture to achieve the goal, but to carefully try and feel what method feels least painful (or not painful at all) and requires the least amount of self-discipline to work. The best tips are highly individual and it shouldn't really be that difficult to make the change if you find the right way of doing it. A lasting strategy is what is needed - better accept for example 3 kilos above the goal forever, than reaching the goal once after a so painful few months that you then end up quitting it and end up say 8 kilos above the goal. Above all don't listen too literally to general tips but try to learn your individual strengths and weaknesses in this aspect. Be honest and admit a close defeat rather than self-denying and losing greatly, if such a choice ever occurs.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 12-30-2007 at 23:40.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Good luck, Peasant Phill! I'm in a somewhat similiar situation (same age, not really heavy but bad eating habits). In my case, it's compounded by a recent move to a more sedentary lifestyle. I don't have any advice, but if I find anything that works well as I change my own eating habits, I'll come back and mention it.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I am starting to have bad habits to eat. The thing is, a healthy diet is need. Go check with a nutritionist a plan. Diets are good, becuase they are balanceated in everything, and you won't suffer of starvation.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

munch on http://www.elsevier.nl/nieuws/wetens...879/index.html

(fat men live longer for you non-dutch speakers)

You're on a blood sugar roller coaster. I was trying to loose some weight (maybe 20 lbs) for 2 years and couldn't do it because when I cut down on the amount of food I ate I would get weak spells between meals. That's the let down you get when insulin kicks in to reduce the sugar level in your blood. It over corrects, and then you feel sluggish. The thing is that if you don't use all those calories you just ate the excess calories turn into fat, and it doesn't matter what type of food the calories came from. Here's the relevant info on sugar from Wikipedia, although, this info is available from lots of places:

Carbohydrates

Nutrition
    --------

Carbohydrates require less water to digest than proteins or fats and are the most common source of energy. Proteins and fat are vital building components for body tissue and cells and are also a source of energy for the body.

Carbohydrates are not essential nutrients: the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fats. The brain cannot burn fat and needs glucose for energy, but the body can make this glucose from protein. Carbohydrates and proteins contain 4 kilocalories per gram while fats contain 9 kilocalories and alcohol contains 7 kilocalories per gram.

Foods that are high in carbohydrates include breads, pastas, beans, potatoes, bran, rice and cereals.

Based on evidence for risk of heart disease and obesity, the Institute of Medicine recommends that American and Canadian adults get between 40-65% of dietary energy from carbohydrates. The Food and Agriculture Organization and World Health Organization jointly recommend that national dietary guidelines set a goal of 55-75% of total energy from carbohydrates, but only 10% should be from Free sugars (their definition of simple carbohydrates).

The distinction between "good carbs" and "bad carbs" is an important attribute of low-carbohydrate diets, which promote a reduction in the consumption of grains and starches in favor of protein. The result is a reduction in insulin levels used to metabolize sugars, and an increase in the use of fat for energy through ketosis.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

A point which isn't mentioned in those paragraphs is that carbohydrates are initially metabolized as sugar.

I went to a dietician because I was drifting into metabolic syndrome which is a combination of high triglycerides, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and overweight and which carries an increased risk of heart attack. Her suggestions were no sugar (use an artificial sweetener if you must), and a reduction in carbohydrates and increase in protein. If you eat enough fiber then you can tolerate more fat in your diet so you don't really have to eliminate fat. It's the sugar and carbs that's more of a problem. Protein and fats take longer to digest than carbs, so you should be able to cut calorie intake without getting hungry between meals. If you do get hungry between meals, you can eat a few nuts because they are high in protein.

So, I've initially cut out all sugar (plain tea, no soda and no orange juice) and I don't miss the sugar. I switched from bagel with butter + tea with sugar for breakfast to a 100% whole wheat English muffin with natural peanut butter on it plus a bannana (for potassium) and plain tea. This holds me until lunch with no mid-morning coffee needed. Another breakfast would be egg beaters (no yoke) + soybean sausage and I added a small hash brown which I think is ok but I'll have to check. I have still to discuss lunch and dinner with the dietician. The idea is to work on the diet one step at a time instead of trying to do it all at once. I already lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks, and I haven't been getting any weak spells or let downs. Oh, and if you filter your water with something like a Brita filter it tastes better. I bring a bottle of that to work for when I get thirsty during the day.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Blog Entries

Phils’ log: 2 jan 2008
    Most people only start with losing weight after new year and with good reason. Before new years’ eve I was doing great. Only drinking water and almost entirely quitting my the constant munching. My girlfriend and I went to friends for New years’ eve and it went fine until I decided that the mashed apples (or whatever you call it in English) were really good and that it would be a shame if they went to waste. After that I felt bloathed until yesterday afternoon. I used to be able to do such a thing (keep on shoving things in) without problem, which isn’t really a compliment. I ate a piece of cake on with my family on New Year but on such a day you can hardly refuse.

My stomach still isn’t OK but I think it’s a disease because I felt it since last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Zim
    Good luck, Peasant Phill! I'm in a somewhat similiar situation (same age, not really heavy but bad eating habits). In my case, it's compounded by a recent move to a more sedentary lifestyle. I don't have any advice, but if I find anything that works well as I change my own eating habits, I'll come back and mention it.
    Zim, you can use this thread to share your ordeal to, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodion Romanovich
    My tips for decreasing sugar levels:
    1) Find good replacement things to eat that don't contain that much sugar, to make the transition to less sugar easier than by simply quitting all mini-meals
    2) If eating often has become a tic, try to make yourself replace the eating tic by drinking a glass of water. This is so simple but has worked extremely well for myself.
    3) If you don't eat a large breakfast right now, start doing so, and a lot of the need for sugar may disappear since you'll not be as tired during the day
    4) Also try eating longer lasting food for lunch and dinner, as it will remove the tiredness that makes you want to eat between the meals
    All great tips Rodion.
    1) I’m trying to go cold turkey as they say. Constantly eating nuts isn’t that healthy either. It’s working until now.
    2) I’ve been doing this. I was constantly drinking Orange juice and milk based drinks. Now every time I get the urge to eat or drink something I poor myself a glass of water. Works like a charm.
    3) I used to eat only one slice of bread in the morning. I’m trying to eat more but breaking habits isn’t something you do just like that.
    4) What are examples of longer lasting foods?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    munch on http://www.elsevier.nl/nieuws/wetens...879/index.html

(fat men live longer for you non-dutch speakers)
    Older fat men live longer the study says. I’ll make sure that by the time I’m 60 I’ll have a belly, if that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    You're on a blood sugar roller coaster. I was trying to loose some weight (maybe 20 lbs) for 2 years and couldn't do it because when I cut down on the amount of food I ate I would get weak spells between meals.
    I’m not cutting down on the food I eat during meals only on the things I eat and drink between those meals. I try to limit my ‘in-between-meals’ to a bowl of soup in the morning and some pieces of fruit in the afternoon. In the evening I still eat some chocolate in the evening but only in a small quantity.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I'm glad my tips were appreciated!

4) What are examples of longer lasting foods?
    I'm not sure what name it has, but I think it's called wholegrain rice and wholegrain pasta. I found these images on google:
    http://www.dkimages.com/discover/pre...788/212823.JPG
    http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes...ta-fusilli.jpg
    These taste slightly different from "normal" pasta and rice, but not noticeably different if served with sauce (and not noticeable at all if the sauce is hot and spicey). There are even more extreme forms of long-lasting foods (beans, peas etc), but their effects are, to my knowledge, not as well tried, and they also have the disadvantage of requiring a complete change in your cooking. Wholegrain pasta can just be put in to replace the old pasta, without any changes anywhere else, which is quite convenient IMO!
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I'm not sure what name it has, but I think it's called wholegrain rice and wholegrain pasta.
    Just to help Phill out: it's called "volkoren pasta" and "volkoren rijst" in Dutch. Also, avoid the white bread.

Unfortunately for most of our Orgahs, it's in Dutch, but this website is very useful if you are planning to lose some weight.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

There is a lot of good advice and some bad. You have to decide what works and feels right. Also you appear to be active with the cardio.
    The motivation is key and starting something like you did in public is a good motivator. Members would like you to succeed.
    Motivation is all psychological and you just gave a good example about New Years. There will always be social settings where something will be too tempting. That's okay don't get yourself down. Have the piece but a smaller portion and if you have more then you should of just get back on track.
    Sometime setting a one day aside to deviate for a treat can be a motivator for the week. When the day comes you may not want that or something better.
    If you watch what you are eating 6 out of 7 days 1 day or an evening to indulge is not going to upset your plan or stop you from achieving goal.

I’m not cutting down on the food I eat during meals only on the things I eat and drink between those meals. I try to limit my ‘in-between-meals’ to a bowl of soup in the morning and some pieces of fruit in the afternoon. In the evening I still eat some chocolate in the evening but only in a small quantity.
    To loose weight, you have to reduce your calorie intake to less than you use. Eating a lot of carbohydrates in the main meals works against this because you feel the need to eat again too soon.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Couple of ideas here:
    - Make sure what you eat, you use, ideally you use more if you want to lose weight. A logical consequence of eating more is that you need to move around more, so try to fit the two sides together well.
    - Longer distance, endurance fitness/sports tends to be good for losing weight (ie. an hour or so on the rower).
    - Snacking doesn't have to be a problem. Make a sandwich with brown bread, or eat some fruit such as a banana or an apple. Try drinking more fruit juices.
    - One thing that can't be emphasized enough: make sure you have regular sleeping patterns and that you get enough of it. The same goes for food: although snacking can be controlled to healthier foods, key is regular eating patterns.
    - Don't rush things. That only reduces muscle mass if you start eating less at the same time. The trick is regularity; losing some five kilos effectively will take at least ten weeks of control.
    - And as has been said, estimate the usage of calories and try to keep track of the intake.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Just something I want to point out real quick: Do what works for you.

For example, in my case Atkins all protien or low carb diets DO NOT work at all. I put on fat like anything on low/no carb diets. Genetic and ethic evolution, proficeincy at absorbtion and usage of different nutrients has something to do with how your body functions. In my case I must eat at least 400g of complex carb to keep fat level steady, more if I want to reduce body fat. If I eat lots of carb I lose fat, get trimmer, and more energetic, unlike most people. When I say carb I mean healthy whole grain cereals (rice, wheat, spelt... etc)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    To loose weight, you have to reduce your calorie intake to less than you use. Eating a lot of carbohydrates in the main meals works against this because you feel the need to eat again too soon.
    I already eat a lot of carbs in my meals. I would eat quite healthy if I didn't have such a sweet tooth.

I'm glad my tips were appreciated!

I'm not sure what name it has, but I think it's called wholegrain rice and wholegrain pasta.
    I'm glad you provided the tips. I you guys make time to give advice I can't but make time to reply.
    I'll look into the wholegrain products but as I'm not the cook at home I don't think that it will become something regular. But like I said before, My meals aren't the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres
    Just to help Phill out: it's called "volkoren pasta" and "volkoren rijst" in Dutch. Also, avoid the white bread.

Unfortunately for most of our Orgahs, it's in Dutch, but this website is very useful if you are planning to lose some weight.
    I knew that but thanks for the help anyway. And about the link, knowing the university of Leuven, I'm sure it's also in English somewhere. Good link BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Northnovas
    There is a lot of good advice and some bad. You have to decide what works and feels right. Also you appear to be active with the cardio.
    The motivation is key and starting something like you did in public is a good motivator. Members would like you to succeed.
    Motivation is all psychological and you just gave a good example about New Years. There will always be social settings where something will be too tempting. That's okay don't get yourself down. Have the piece but a smaller portion and if you have more then you should of just get back on track.
    Sometime setting a one day aside to deviate for a treat can be a motivator for the week. When the day comes you may not want that or something better.
    If you watch what you are eating 6 out of 7 days 1 day or an evening to indulge is not going to upset your plan or stop you from achieving goal.
    I am motivated. And I didn't feel bad about New Year because I ate some cake and a little to much apple sauce. I feel bad about New Year because I ate to much and I felt it for the rest of the evening. I already decided before I begun that I would sin once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Couple of ideas here:
    - Make sure what you eat, you use, ideally you use more if you want to lose weight. A logical consequence of eating more is that you need to move around more, so try to fit the two sides together well.
    Well that's kind of hard if your working at a desk now is it. I'm already quite active but I'm not going to work with the bycicle in the dead of winter
    - Longer distance, endurance fitness/sports tends to be good for losing weight (ie. an hour or so on the rower).
    Like I said no gym for me but I already do endurance sports. Yesterday I played indoor soccer for an hour and believe me that's more tireing than just running or rowing. Oh if anybody needs some info on losing weight and sporting I can help.
    - Snacking doesn't have to be a problem. Make a sandwich with brown bread, or eat some fruit such as a banana or an apple. Try drinking more fruit juices.
    Actually banana's and grapes have a lot of sugar in them. Not that I have to be so cautious. Oh and fruit juice is bad as it's all sugar without the fibres from the fruits (which neutralise the sugar a bit)
    - One thing that can't be emphasized enough: make sure you have regular sleeping patterns and that you get enough of it. The same goes for food: although snacking can be controlled to healthier foods, key is regular eating patterns.
    Yep that's the plan, good advice
    Just something I want to point out real quick: Do what works for you.

For example, in my case Atkins all protien or low carb diets DO NOT work at all. I put on fat like anything on low/no carb diets. Genetic and ethic evolution, proficeincy at absorbtion and usage of different nutrients has something to do with how your body functions. In my case I must eat at least 400g of complex carb to keep fat level steady, more if I want to reduce body fat. If I eat lots of carb I lose fat, get trimmer, and more energetic, unlike most people. When I say carb I mean healthy whole grain cereals (rice, wheat, spelt... etc)
    I'm glad you found what works for you. I just don't think I really have to diet, only quittaking in so much sugar in between meals has done it before and I'm positive it will work again.