Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VanillaMod Bug thread

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default VanillaMod Bug thread

If you come across any bugs using VanillaMod 0.9, report them here
    Even if you are unsure whether it is caused by VanillaMod or M2TW itself, just describe the bug here and I will deal with it as appropriate and as fast as time allows.

Currently known bugs:
    - Missing unit descriptions for several added Byzantine gunpowder artillery pieces (Low priority. Will get to it when I find the time.)
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 01-07-2008 at 12:40.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Default Re: VanillaMod Bug thread

Hello! Great Mod.

However there is one bug that I found: You can't produce agents (Priests, Diplomats...) as their max agent number is set to zero.

I had to change that in one of the files.

Hiya,

Sorry about that. I forgot to mention some tweaks in the documentation.
    Priests are produced as in the vanilla game (i.e. 1-3 priests depending on church level) so I didn't change that.
    Diplomats I did change. Diplomats can be recruited as normal, but I set a limit on their production in terms of 1 diplomat for every townhall level 2+ building. This was done to prevent the AI from spamming countless diplomats, wasting their florins and prolong the player's end turn period watching many diplomats do nothing around your settlements.

I will add this to a new section in the readme in the upcoming update. Thanks!
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Great mod.
    Altough I can't recruit agents. So I Downloaded your fixes, and in the KOTRfixREADME.txt, is written this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now to apply those fixes, you will need to run your medieval game exe using a shortcut or a bat file.
    The target of said file should read similar to this:

C:\Medieval\medieval2.exe --io.file_first

Where "C:\Medieval\" varies depending on your installation but medieval2.exe --io.file_first should be constant.

As above does not always work for some systems, the path may alternatively have to be similar to this:
    "C:\Medieval\medieval2.exe" --io.file_first
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I Realy don't know how to change that "--io.file_first" thing. I unpacked all the files in my medieval 2 folder, but still I can't recruit any agent but priests.
    How can I apply your fixes, and where are the files that I must change to recruit the agents, just like Slawomir did?

Thanks again for the mod :)

I have moved your previous post to the FAQ section with an answer.

The Idle Inquisitor Member rebelscum's Avatar
    Hiding behind a bush ready to pounce, like a good Rebel.

There are issues when shooting from external walls into castle courtyards. When I sieged a large town my longbows could not shoot down onto enemy units. They would not attempt to autofire either.
    Perhaps a positional issue.
    I hate my signature!

Could you post a screenshot of that please?
    Also, does it happen in unmodded M2TW?

Militia units missing from Huge stone walls. Intentional?
    Archer Militia+levy spearmen (Engish) no longer recruitable with gradual upgradeding of barracks in castles

Yes, intentional to some extent.
    As this is based on M2TW rather than Kingdoms, restricting which units can be built is the only way of forcing the AI to use better units rather than rely on spamming low quality militia and peasantry at you during the later periods and build larger armies of knights for instance.

I am however planning (once I get around to it) to allow retraining of those units eventually, but need to ensure that this doesn't allow the AI to recruit them as I have read from some other reports.

Generally, the units that become "obsolete" are replaced by higher level units and some lower level units for which there are no higher level counterparts can be trained at higher experience instead, so there is a benefit in upgrading your barracks and walls.

Hope that helps

If there is a unit in particular that you believe is left our with no counterparts whatsoever, do let me know. I went to great lengths to ensure fluency in recruitment.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 07-25-2008 at 12:27.

I would have liked to see archer militia to remain recruitable for militia barracks & upgrades. Its the only city recruitable missile unit the english get and it appears only for a moment and gone. Crossbow militia for other factions seem to stay recruitable!

Seige towers & rams seem to burn almost every time. Good for the player but not good for the AI that already has almost no chance of a successful assualt especially when 9 out of 10 battles is a seige. Out of 5 battles the AI lost both ram & tower 3 times, the single ram on another and for the last it lost the tower but ram did make it too the gate. Too easy I think!

Few other niggles but its still early game. But I like all the fixes.
    Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 07-27-2008 at 02:13.

Other factions keep Xbow militia but also lose archer militia. I'll look into giving the English archer militia in small quantities till late though

Siege equipment is no more flammable than in unmodded games. However, since I have given even basic arrow towers 1 damage (so constant fire can actually destroy an engine if it doesn't burn it - ie. taking a citadel with a single ram is nigh on impossible), the game gives by default any damage causing particle with flaming ability a higher chance of causing inflammation. Upping equipment hp won't do much as the soldiers will still abandon it if it starts burning...
    I agree this can make some siege battles easier for you, but similarly, you will have it harder to get to the AI's walls as well as by default, AI towers shoot a lot faster than human towers (AI cheat that is hardcoded or so). Later, when you get ballista towers, you'll more likely see equipment get destroyed than burned down I think Use artillery (later gunpowder artillery is not limited much in recruitment)

Thanks for reporting back, do let me know what bothers you because I am making this mod for those who play it

Whats up with these forums? Browser keeps crashing & I keep loosing my posts.

Seems logical that the player should also experience these challenges unless of course they autocalc. As a campaign player I prefer to concentrate on the campaign map and only play out battles if autocalc would give a certain defeat or have a need to minimize casualties. Anyway probably only preferences. Maybe a few more opinions needed here. All else at this stage is probably preferential so will post in suggestions thread and keep this for purely bugs only.

Default AW: VanillaMod Bug thread

Hi,

not sure wether this is a VanillaMod or general issue...

Every time I click on a Scottish, Danish or Polish agent or army I am rewarded with a CDT. English, French and Germans are fine. It doesn't matter which faction I am playing as well...
    I suspect it mighty have something to do with their soundfiles or something else sound related.

I'm running M2TW 1.3 with Kingdoms and the VanillaMod (installed exactly as instructed) on Vista with a MacBook pro. The only thing that's changed since I last played M2TW about year ago (without this problem) is XP->Vista and VanillaMod.

Thanks!

Default Re: AW: VanillaMod Bug thread

Hiya,

Not sure what's causing it as VM doesn't change sounds by default (it has the default sounds included).
    What you can do is this:

1.Copy/overwrite the VM sounds content with that of your unmodded M2TW sound folder
    2.Make sure its not Vista hiding and using older files and ignoring VM patches

hi faction heir. i need to clarify something. when im in a battle playing against the AI, the AI does not march in any order, they would just march as if they were the only unit in the army and not together as a force. plus the AI cavalry always runs ahead of the army and charges the first unit it sees. i have tried reinstalling the whole game plus vanillamod and i made sure that old files were deleted. i tried playing with the default game without the mod and actually the AI there is actually better, they march in order and engage at the same time without marching back and forth as they sometimes do in vanillamod. im just wondering is this part of the mod or is there something that i have done wrong.

They shouldn't do that normally if you have the recent fixes post 0.93 installed. They might still do it a few times, but not constantly. Cavalry charing forward should also have been somewhat reduced.

In 0.92, the battle AI was still comparably slightly better on field battles than now, but a lot worse in sieges (they would sometimes just end up standing around). Problem is, fixing one thing may break another in the very convoluted AI files. I tried to reach the best compromise really. As noted in the newest fix release, I hadn't had extensive time to test due to personal commitments, but should be able to within the next month or so!

I don't know about that fix for the diplomats; I have been playing France in VM and it took until about year 1160 for me to be able to spawn a single diplomat. So while I was getting some trade rights offers, I couldn't make any once my starting diplomat dropped dead (about turn 2) for a very long time. I didn't realize you needed a higher level building in VM than in the regular game, since the display still claims I can have them, it just says that I am at my limit....even though I have zero.

Also, I had the advisor set to low and he persistently is giving me tips about spearmen when I click on cavalry, and tips about cavalry when I click on spearmen. Maybe that's your way of telling me to turn off the advisor.

Pathfinding seems to be more problematic; especially when moving one unit through another, the moving unit tends to get stuck and won't continue moving other than one or two men in the unit (who promptly get slaughtered for their trouble).

But on the whole I'm enjoying the VM game; the campaign AI seems to be behaving quite sensibly for the most part. With me as the French, turtling, England has been sending groups of soldiers over to its territory east of Bruges (I hold Bruges). They advance toward Bruges, I send more soldiers in and they retreat. I tried assassinating a noble of Milan, and failed, and they declared war. Since they're already in a bloody battle with the HRE, when I sent a half-stack towards them, Milan quickly asked for a ceasefire, and hasn't broken it in at least a dozen turns. No kamikaze missions against me or ridiculous attacks by much smaller nations; they seem to be respecting my power & position and aren't going out of their way to offend me, which was a regular happenstance in the unmodded game. That makes turtling much more enjoyable, since I can pick a goal to focus upon without suddenly getting dragged into battles with someone I didn't have any interest in fighting.

Oh, and I don't know if this is your doing, but I've been ambushed twice now by the English, resulting in raucous pitched battles in the woods. I can't remember being ambushed twice in the unmodded game ever, but maybe this is coincidence.
    Last edited by gardibolt; 08-26-2008 at 20:59.

Thanks for the detailed post!

Diplomats: Yeah, I think I only mentioned it in the readme, since I can't really change the display much. I was tinking of reducing confusion by not making them hirable until the second stage, but decided against it. So basically you can hire them from lower buildings if you have at least one higher building, so you can have diplomacy in new development areas.

Advisor: Didn't change anything there, so that must be a "feature"

Pathfinding: Didn't have that happening unless you give a unit the order to walk while they are being engaged, in which case there will be some disorder (just have to keep double clicking and tell them to move). If outside of combat, using the stop order often helps in quickly putting them into brace.

Re Strat AI, I was hoping that it would be a lot smarter than unmodded and not senselessly attack you. They are able to form coalitions and coordinate attacks now which is great.

Ambushes are part of the defending regions and opportunistic attack orders, so they should have a minor increase

Hey Faction Heir,

i installed your vanilla mod - its running quite good despite one really annoying thing. After starting the hungary campaign the game crashes when clicking on an army, diplomat, spy or smth. similar. You got any clues why that happens?

Got the same proplem with the poles - starting campaign - clicking on unit on stategic map --Game crashes!-

No idea, but I think it is likely a problem with the installation. Can you go through the how to get VM to work thread and ensure you have it all the way it should be? Like first delete the VanillaMod folder completely and then go through all steps.

Did as you said. After deleting the vanillaMod folder i reinstalled the mod - fresh and juicy - new installation but still having the old problem. Seems to be wise having the hole game reinstalled. Maybe it´s something to do with the sound files. I just wondered if the fact that the game crashes only when activating sound data (voice) of factions beeing used in MedievalKingdoms Campaigns´s got something to do with this mess. Got a bad feeling about this beeing so.

The mod is not meant to be combined with kingdoms data. Doing so can have unforeseen consequences.
    You can play with with kingdoms installed as long as you don't add additional kingdoms files to the mod.

Well i reinstalled Medieval II+ the VanillaMod. Now it works fine. Thanks for your help.

I'm noticing a problem with the Mongols recently. Whenever they siege a city, they don't use their trebuchets. This has happened consistently in two campaigns. Any ideas? Thanks.

Do you mean the main force or the reinforcements? The problem with reinforcements is that I can't directly code for them, and by default, they usually don't use the siege engines.

That's a good question. I'll have to see when they attack directly with a siege group.

I just installed the Vanilla mod and the patch,but now,whenever I try to play them,when I click on the Grand campaign icon it keeps saying "Please select an item from the list" and trying to continue campaign triggers an immediate CTD..

Screenshot?
    And how are you running the mod?

I run it using the batch file that came with the mod,which I've copied to my desktop. I'm not to sure how to take screen-shots of MTW2 error screens,as the game shuts down whenever they come up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast