Thread: Stardust - The Movie

Default Stardust - The Movie

I just saw this movie about a week ago, and I’ve re-seen it a couple of times since then, something I very rarely do with movies (unless we’re talking LotR). It was unfortunately a bit of a failure at the US box office, and while it did much better internationally, it has been sadly overlooked. Which is a damn shame.

The movie is based on the novel “Stardust” by Neil Gaiman, and he was very pleased with how it turned out (as well he should as he was apparently heavily involved in the making of it). The story centres on a star (Claire Danes) which plummets to Earth after having been struck by a necklace thrown by a dying king (Peter O’Toole) in the magical kingdom of Stormhold. Separating the realm of Faerie from our own world is a wall, and on the other side of it is the village of Wall, where the hero of the story, Tristan (Charlie Cox), is busy wooing the vain Victoria (Sienna Miller). They see the star overhead, and Tristan promises to go get it in exchange for Victoria’s hand in marriage, but since the star crashes in Faerie, it does not become a lump of rock, but a woman, Yvaine. Out to get her are also three witches (Michelle Pfeiffer plays the one who goes hunting), who want to eat the heart of the star to replenish their youths and magical powers, and the princes of Stormhold (Mark Strong, Jason Flemyng, Rupert Everett among others) are, initially, after the necklace thrown by their father, which will grant the one who holds it the throne. We also meet Captain Shakespeare (Robert De Niro) and his crew of sky pirates out collecting lightning, Ferdy the Fence (Ricky Gervais) who’s in the lightning-purchasing business, a Greek Chorus of dead princes, the best zombie-fencing scene in movie history, and an absolutely hilarious goat (!) (played by Mark Williams of HP fame).

I absolutely loved Stardust. It’s not perfect (what is?), but it is enchanting, witty, whimsical, tongue-in-cheek, romantic, adventurous, exciting, moving, and will absolutely melt your cold, cynical heart (unless it’s of rock). It’s got tons of charm, and is in my opinion heads and shoulders above any fantasy I’ve seen since the LotR trilogy. I can’t remember the last time I felt so awesomely up-beat after watching a movie. Oh, and I'm in love with Claire Danes now...

And a word of warning: keep away from the trailer they released, as it makes the movie look like Eragon's uglier cousin. Stardust's marketing was incredibly mismanaged.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: Stardust - The Movie

Seconded. Rarely have I encountered a film quite this charming. It's fun, well-paced, and in a change from most fantasy movies has a refreshing emphasis on character. If I must criticize anything, it's that I believe the original ending from the book better suited the material than that of the movie, but if my family's opinions are to be taken as the norm this is a minority opinion.

Do watch it. A very likeable film, in many ways reminiscent of the better sides of The Princess Bride.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just one thing I didnt like... The chick the guy started out with was better

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

In agreement with the above, except with Beefy, but that's another discussion altogether.

I found it an enjoyable movie, more so than I expected it to be. Not that I read the book or anything, but I was sort off put of by the whole fantasy element of the movie - thinking it'd be for the < 6 age group. As it turned out it wasn't, or if it was, then I'm a really young 18 year old.

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 01-13-2008 at 22:05.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Same. I thought it was pretty good and I couldn't agree more with OP's comments on the trailer. I saw that and thought it would be awful, but it's not. Nice film. Passed by the cinemas now though, I'd have thought?

Passed by the cinemas now though, I'd have thought?
    Yeah, it's been out on dvd in the US since December 18th, and will soon be out in Europe.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Saw it a few months ago. One of the most enjoyable movies indeed.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    In agreement with the above, except with Beefy, but that's another discussion altogether.

Aww cmon that stardust girl was mean and.... too shiny

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187
    Just one thing I didnt like... The chick the guy started out with was better

Sienna Miller in Alfie.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Blog Entries

Cool

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

By a strange coincidence, I happened to have a friend of mine at work lend me the DVD so I could watch it last night. (It's a coincidence in that I hadn't read this thread at all until two days ago, and on the very next day my friend brought Stardust to work -- without my having even mentioned the movie to him -- to lend it to me.) He'd wanted me to watch because he felt I would really enjoy it.

Well it turns out he was right. It's a charming little film, with some great characters. De Niro as Captain Shakespeare was awesome, and I was also pleasantly surprised by Danes' portrayal of Yvaine (I know she can do good work, but it'd been a while since I'd last seen a solid performance from her).

All in all, it was a nice blend of action/adventure, romance, humor, and even some character development. I wouldn't nominate it for any awards, but it's certainly worth watching.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone