Thread: Slaugthering super-heavy cavalry with artillery - realistic?

Default Slaugthering super-heavy cavalry with artillery - realistic?

Is it historically accurate for Romans to massacre the super-heavy cavalry of the Sassanids by using heavy onagers heavily guarded by Comitatenses and some supporting cavalry units?

I did that a lot for ERE. Turned out conquering the Sassanids is a piece of cake.

Default Re: Slaugthering super-heavy cavalry with artillery - realistic?

I suspect that heavy plated armour isnt very effective against a massive rock. It's probably more and AI problem of not knowing when to get out of the way.
    Roma locuta est. Causa finita est

Member Member julianus heraclius's Avatar

Default Re: Slaugthering super-heavy cavalry with artillery - realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_Ghost
    Is it historically accurate for Romans to massacre the super-heavy cavalry of the Sassanids by using heavy onagers heavily guarded by Comitatenses and some supporting cavalry units?

I did that a lot for ERE. Turned out conquering the Sassanids is a piece of cake.
    Yeah, I think artillery is probably overrated, but then again the Sassanid Savaran are pretty much like tanks so you need something.

Playing should be about balance and not about finding the "best" roman composition to take on the sassanids. The problem is that the AI doen't recognise this.

For Imperium Julianorum I have addressed this by making it longer to recruit Savaran. This should reduce the number of these units in a AI sassanid army.