Thread: Ability to mod the 'ashigaru's with crossbows' into the normal campaign?

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Ability to mod the 'ashigaru's with crossbows' into the normal campaign?

As the title says, I'd like to modify the game in order to have the ability to train the Ashigaru Crossbowmen in any campaign. Like, in the 'starting at 1530' campaign.

I know nothing about modding, but for me it seems that something like this should be easy, or at least, possible.

Is there anyone around that has some experience with this?

Btw, this entire topic might seems strange.. why would I want the weak ashi's anyway? Well, I was considering playing a campaign and give myself limits in training samurai. (so, for instance 60 samurai each turn, so not more then 1 unit) If I'd want to have more, I'd have to use ashigaru's.. and more choice in ashigaru's would make it more intresting.

Thanks loads in advance!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Default Re: Ability to mod the 'ashigaru's with crossbows' into the normal campaign?

Hello Drisos,

STW is pretty closed, things like this have been looked at in the past. You certainly can't add units. Fooling campmap\startpos\Starting at 1530.txt by adding a required building in a province will most likely not work either.

What you can do though is tweak any unit you already have. Troopstat.txt

The last number means how many men a unit has. 120 is the maximum value supported by STW. You can leave all units 60 and set YariAshigaru to 120 (you have to play at normal size or less though, or it will crash!).

You may want to compensate their combat and/or morale a bit, since the unit became twice as large. The values right of 1500 are Charge, Melee, Defence, Armour and Morale.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Default Re: Ability to mod the 'ashigaru's with crossbows' into the normal campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    STW is pretty closed, things like this have been looked at in the past. You certainly can't add units. Fooling campmap\startpos\Starting at 1530.txt by adding a required building in a province will most likely not work either.
    I've heard before that STW wasn't moddable indeed... but I figured there might have been a chance, since the unit is already in the game, yet not creatable in 4 of the 5 campaigns. I recall a home-made campaign about fighting the mongols when japan is still divided between clans.. I wonder if they'd be creatable in that one? If so, might be a good choice for me.. well... we'll see.

What you can do though is tweak any unit you already have. Troopstat.txt

The last number means how many men a unit has. 120 is the maximum value supported by STW. You can leave all units 60 and set YariAshigaru to 120 (you have to play at normal size or less though, or it will crash!).

You may want to compensate their combat and/or morale a bit, since the unit became twice as large. The values right of 1500 are Charge, Melee, Defence, Armour and Morale.
    Thanks for the info! I certainly might try some editing of stats indeed for variation/etc. the idea of 120 ashi's v 60 sam sounds intresting!

cya

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos
    I've heard before that STW wasn't moddable indeed... but I figured there might have been a chance, since the unit is already in the game, yet not creatable in 4 of the 5 campaigns. I recall a home-made campaign about fighting the mongols when japan is still divided between clans.. I wonder if they'd be creatable in that one? If so, might be a good choice for me.. well... we'll see.
    I recall the same ID is shared between guns and xbow. The era decides what shows up. Don't pin me on that :)

That should work. http://www.mizus.com/files/files/STW.../Campaigns.zip

I certainly might try some editing of stats indeed for variation/etc. the idea of 120 ashi's v 60 sam sounds intresting!
    It is fun. You can also tweak (some) other units to enhance the feeling. The mounted horsearcher is a small elite unit. I made them 15 or so, but better missile, melee and morale stats.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu View Post
    I recall the same ID is shared between guns and xbow. The era decides what shows up. Don't pin me on that :)

That should work. http://www.mizus.com/files/files/STW.../Campaigns.zip

It is fun. You can also tweak (some) other units to enhance the feeling. The mounted horsearcher is a small elite unit. I made them 15 or so, but better missile, melee and morale stats.
    this is what im trying, however after modding troop stat (only unit sizes to see if it worked) it didnt, do i have to link it to the shortcut? as i just go into all programa and manually find the link to the game, as my shogun shortcut dont work, basically my changes dont show up in game i assume im clicking on the wrong device to play the game, though im puzzled why i have blatently changed the stats, yet theres no in game change at all

Quote Originally Posted by Aries777777 View Post
    this is what im trying, however after modding troop stat (only unit sizes to see if it worked) it didnt, do i have to link it to the shortcut? as i just go into all programa and manually find the link to the game, as my shogun shortcut dont work, basically my changes dont show up in game i assume im clicking on the wrong device to play the game, though im puzzled why i have blatently changed the stats, yet theres no in game change at all
    hmm, strange.

What do you have installed? (Which version etc?)
    Have you really tried creating new units after modding this file?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos View Post
    hmm, strange.

What do you have installed? (Which version etc?)
    Have you really tried creating new units after modding this file?
    i have STW gold edition
    and no i only changed unit sizes and honour

I meant to ask if you had trained new units in a new campaign after this changes. But I guess you have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos View Post
    I meant to ask if you had trained new units in a new campaign after this changes. But I guess you have.
    indeed i have

Hi there!

I've been looking for a while, but can't find all those previous threads were things are explained... so I'll have to ask some questions that have been done before.

My troopstats file looks like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Projectile type: NONE = 0, LONG = 1, MTLG = 2, ARQB = 3, MSKT = 4, NINJ = 5
    Unroutable: true = 1, false = 0
    Marching speed: 1 - 24
    Running speed: 1 - 24
    Charging speed: 1 - 24
    Minimum turning speed: 2 - 8
    Maximum turning speed: 2 - 8
    Max turning angle whilst in motion: 8 - 256
    Speed at which soldier turns towards the direction of motion 8 - 8
    Space between neighbours left and right: 30 - 125
    Space between neighbours back and front: 30 - 125
    Enemy engagement proximity threshold: 500 - 2000
    Charge bonus: -6 - 12
    Melee bonus: -6 - 12
    Defence bonus: -6 - 12
    Armour level: 1 - 12
    Honour level: -4 - 8
    Ammo ( arrows or bullets ): 0 - 255

SamuraiArchers
    {
    1, 1, 6, 10, 10, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 500, 2, 0, -1, 1, 0, 28
    }

YariSamurai
    {
    0, 1, 6, 10, 10, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 1500, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0,
    }

Naginata
    {
    0, 1, 4, 8, 8, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 1500, 4, 0, 6, 5, 4, 0
    }

Nodachi
    {
    0, 1, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 192, 75, 75, 1500, 8, 6, -2, 1, 8, 0
    }

CavalryArchers
    {
    2, 1, 8, 20, 20, 2, 8, 8, 64, 115, 125, 500, 3, 1, 2, 3, 0, 28
    }

HeavyCavalry
    {
    0, 1, 8, 20, 20, 2, 8, 8, 8, 115, 125, 1500, 5, 2, 6, 5, 4, 0
    }

YariCavalry
    {
    0, 1, 10, 24, 24, 2, 8, 8, 8, 115, 125, 1500, 8, 2, 3, 3, 2, 0
    }

YariAshigaru
    {
    0, 0, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 96, 75, 75, 1500, 0, -1, -1, 2, -4, 0,
    }

Phantoms
    {
    0, 0, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 96, 75, 75, 1500, 0, -1, -1, 2, -4, 0,
    }

Arquebusier
    {
    3, 0, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 128, 75, 75, 500, 0, -6, -3, 2, -4, 40
    }

Musketeer
    {
    4, 0, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 192, 75, 75, 500, 0, -6, -3, 2, -4, 40
    }

WarriorMonk
    {
    0, 1, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 1500, 4, 5, 2, 1, 8, 0
    }

A_Ninja
    {
    5, 1, 8, 18, 18, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 300, 4, 8, 4, 4, 8, 100
    }

A_SwordsMan
    {
    0, 1, 10, 16, 16, 0, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 2000, 8, 18, 2, 8, 8, 0
    }

A_Mongol_Javelin_Thrower
    {
    6, 0, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 192, 75, 75, 400, 0, 0, 0, 5, 0, 4
    }

A_Mongol_Spearman
    {
    0, 0, 6, 10, 12, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 1500, 0, 0, 1, 2, -1, 0
    }

A_Mongol_Polearmsman
    {
    0, 0, 5, 8, 10, 2, 8, 8, 256, 75, 75, 1500, 4, 2, 4, 4, 0, 0
    }

A_Grenadier
    {
    7, 0, 6, 8, 10, 2, 8, 8, 256,100,100, 100, 0,-6, -3, 2, 4, 3
    }

An_Ashigaru_Xbowman
    {
    8, 0, 7, 12, 12, 2, 8, 8, 96, 75, 75, 500, 0, -6, -3, 1, -5, 16
    }

A_Nijinata_Cavaleryman
    {
    0, 1, 8, 16, 20, 2, 8 , 8, 8,115,125, 1500, 4, 5, 2, 4, 8, 0
    }

A_Mongol_Light_Cavaleryman
    {
    2, 0, 10 ,26, 26, 2, 8, 8, 128,125,140, 1500, 4, 2, 2, 4, 4, 28
    }

A_Mongol_Heavy_Cavaleryman
    {
    0, 0, 10,20, 24, 2, 8, 8, 128,125,140, 1500, 6, 4, 4, 5, 8, 0
    }

the last number in a row is ammo, not the amount of men, apparantly?

- Where do I edit the number of men in a unit?
    - Where do I edit basic morale?
    - What values should I use to tweak melee fighting skills?
    - Can I edit the fact that arq's can't fire in rain? I recall something about at begin possible.
    - Where do I edit damage per piece of ammunition?

Edit:

Searching again right now. I found that the firing in rain thing is solved by the 'is a gun' parameter in projectile stats.
    Found a discussion on the missing 'unit size' parameter. Hmm, it's likely that it's caused by some patch. I might just try to add a line. but good chance that won't work. but I was going to reinstall anyway. let's see how it is after that.
    I also found enough info on the ranged ammo damage modification.
    So now remains..

- Where do I edit basic morale?
    - What values should I use to tweak melee fighting skills?

Btw:

- Any way to edit unit costs?
    - There's some cool .txt files in the main folder about the different daimyo's, anyone recall that these have been modified before? (People trying to change to daimyo's characteres?) For a modify-newb like me it sounds like you could implement more variation into campaigns by tweaking some of these values. (For instance, Imagawa ALWAYS attacks Shinano 1st turn. It's just an example. there's more of those always-the-same things.) Modifying the imagawa type of daimyo might change this, right? Sound like a cool thing to try.
    - How hard is it to create a 'new' campaign. (Let's say I would want to change which clan has which regions, what units and buildings they start with, and what family they start with...) Is that anyone possible to do for a not-so-techy-at-all dude like me?
    Last edited by Drisos; 12-20-2008 at 17:09.

Blog Entries

just to reinforce that, i want to know everything he wants, plus how my modifcations can take effect with gold edition (hint hint tosainu and barocca )

I tried adding ,'s and normal numbers of units but with that 120 ashi unit. It didn't work. Though the game ran perfectly fine.

I found something about that by some more digging I did: The game might use an internal set of stats, when the Troopstats file is in it's normal form or unusable. So, if you do some modification but mess it up (just has to be 1 minor error) it will think 'Troopstats = corrupt, so I switch to intern stats'. (Which would give you this situation: the game runs perfect but with normal stats)

Back to your problem btw... > You should try using a Troopstats.txt file that's been succesfully modified by someone else and see if it works then.

[offtopic]Btw: Gold... what's Gold again? Install-material for both S:TW and S:TW MI and S:TW WE? (so you could choose between playing original, original+MI, or warlords?) I'm confused.[/offtopic]

anyways, I'll see what happens after my reinstall

Reinstalled, and still don't have that last parameter.

Can someone who does have it please e-mail his Troopstats.txt file to me?

Might try if a patch changes this, meanwhile.
    Last edited by Drisos; 06-21-2018 at 07:13. Reason: Redacted e-mail adress