Thread: Greek Soldiers

Bassist, Swordsman, Gentleman Member Klearchos's Avatar

Default Greek Soldiers

Hail

Pehaps many will find this info unnecessary but I think the ancient greeks skin color was darker than presented in EB.
    The soldiers, the sailors and generaly the men of action, were under the mediterrenean sun all day so all of them had kinda bronzed skin... Being pale was actually a bit effeminate!!
    The first one who used the word "white" to describe someone was Herodotos, and he used it to describe the Persians in the battle of Thermopylai!!!
    Do you consider to change that in EB 2?

(I know , I know, I'm a detail freak! )

Cheers!
    "They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth. Hah! Time enough for the earth in the grave."

Default Re: Greek Soldiers

the PERSIANS were white?
    as for your idea i agree, i think the greeks could do with a bit of tanning. after all, they DO have some of the best beaches
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

Remember also that the Persians wore a greater amount of clothing to protect them from the sun than did the Greeks, and that they did not appear naked or semi-naked in public. I indeed recall a passage in Xenophon's Hellenica (do not have it with me) in which a Greek commander, on capturing a town in Asia Minor, shows to his troops the locals of the area without their garments, revealing their pale complexion and thus demonstrating to the Greek soldiers that the eastern barbarians do not engage in athletic exercises and are therefore inferior to the Greeks in military prowess.
    -Parcere Subiectis et Debellare Superbos-

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long lost Caesar
    the PERSIANS were white?
    Well - they were of northern steppe ancestry or thereabouts. Fairly light-skinned by all accounts, and as Turnus says tended to go more thoroughly clothed (largely for climate-related reasons I'd imagine; I understand the Near Eastern uplands can be very cold in winter, and conversely in the warmer seasons you'll want to avoid sunburn).
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Bassist, Swordsman, Gentleman Member Klearchos's Avatar

And I also remember reading somewhere that the Athenian troops in Sicily, during the Syracusan Campaign, lost morale when they replaced their commander with on with pale skin.
    "They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth. Hah! Time enough for the earth in the grave."

I wouldn't trust the Greeks on colour descriptions, they thought the sky was bronze, which even without having a colour for blue is a long way off by our account.
    Ultimate Excellence Lies

Not In Winning

Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy

Without Ever Fighting

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

But copper corrodes blue green doesn't it?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers
    I wouldn't trust the Greeks on colour descriptions, they thought the sky was bronze, which even without having a colour for blue is a long way off by our account.
    I've read somewhere that their colours were more in terms of brightness than colour, for example a broze sky would mean bright blue.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros
    I've read somewhere that their colours were more in terms of brightness than colour, for example a bronze sky would mean bright blue.
    Maybe it orginally sayed: Bronzed sky, as in when you get a redish sort of sky, but over time, the 'd' went missing

As for the colours of the greeks, it should be small variety, but definatly white-ish body armour,
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.