Page 1 of 140 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Capo de Tutti Capi - II [Concluded]

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Capo de Tutti Capi - II [Concluded]

Late one night
    When we were all in bed
    Old Mother Leary
    Left a lantern in the shed

And when the cow kicked it over,
    She winked her eye and said,
    "There’ll be a hot time
    In the old town, tonight."

-- Anonymous

Fatlington – Day One – Mid-Afternoon

Fatlington lay in the sun like a huge checkerboard of flat black-tar roofs and light grey streets. The air shimmered in waves off the black roofs, heated by the blazing August sun, tar sticky from the heat and speckled with broken clamshells deposited by Seagulls as they used gravity to open dinner for them. The hottest part of the year and, for Fatlington, the biggest part of the year for the merchants and businesses who catered to the tourists visiting the Jersey Shore.

Six decades past the white beaches lining the boardwalk would have been crowded with “the quality” taking in the breeze and swimming in the cool Atlantic. Six decades had not been kind to Fatlington. Like a courtesan well past her prime, Fatlington still painted on a gay face for the tourists, but these days “the quality” were in Palm Beach or Havana and Fatlington was left to cater to the factory workers of Allentown and every other urban armpit in North Jersey or Eastern Pennsylvania. Like calls to like.

It had been a normal summer until July neared August. Then the outbreaks had begun. Very few died, but dozens were struck with cholera and several others seemed to be showing signs of the Spanish flu. That flu had visited Fatlington just after the War to End All Wars had wrapped up and put 15% of the population into the ground. Now, only a few years after the latest War to End All Wars, New Jersey authorities were quick to respond with a 30-day quarantine. Nobody would be leaving Fatlington before Labor Day.

Tourists screamed about their jobs and needing to get home, the locals screamed about the tourists, and the Fates promptly added a heat wave of epic proportions to turn up the pressure. Atropos, apparently, had always taken an interest in Fatlington.

Mayor TosaInu, away at Trenton for a conference when the quarantine began, moved Heaven and earth to get something done for his beleaguered town, but to no avail. In the corridors of power in Trenton, his most persuasive arguments could not counter one basic truth – it was only Fatlington after all, not somewhere that mattered.

But to some, especially a small group of “entrepreneurs” who met infrequently in Havana, Fatlington had value…once a few changes had been made.

“We’ll have to make a few changes folks!” said Fatlington’s Police Commissioner Seamus Fermanagh. “Hizzoner sent me the instructions just before the phone system crapped out.”

The best and brightest of Fatlington were gathered in the convention center ballroom. The scene reminded a few of them of the meetings from ‘the last time.’ Then, some of these best and brightest had been meeting to decide the fate of others as a Committee of Vigilance. Dozens had died before the mafia had been brought to heel. It had all started with a meeting just like this one. A collective shiver ran through the room despite the sweltering heat.

Fermanagh wiped his face with a handkerchief. He’d begun his morning with doughnuts and coffee for nearly 3 decades, but it was a long while since he’d followed breakfast with 10 hours of walking a beat. The sweat was already through his shirts and working its way through the waistband of his trousers

“We’re in for it again, and that’s no lie.”

Silence filled the room.

“Tosa and I, well, we’ve been hearing rumors that the epidemics are a put-up job to set the stage for another takeover effort by those eye-talyun scum. Nothing we can act on or convince the governor to stop the quarantine, but the story is too consistent from too many snitches. The loss of the phone lines pretty well confirms it.”

Fermanagh paused, looking over the figures in the room. A wealth of expressions – and non-expressions – played across the faces before him.

“We know their methods now – they infiltrate our best and brightest and then try to eliminate anyone that they can’t convince to join them in their scheme. Which means, of course, that the criminal scum who’ve started all this – who’ve killed dozens of people, many of them paying tourists for God’s sake – are right here in this room.”

Fermanagh paused a moment to let that sink in.

"Hizzoner has informed me that he’s re-instituting the Committee of Vigilance that saved us the last time. Some of you know how this works, but let me remind you all. Today, you’ll discuss and then select a Director of the Committee. Each day thereafter, you will vote to lynch the one among you who has proven themselves to be part of the mafia scum seeking to destroy us and we’ll keep lynching until we’ve ended the problem.”

Cries of “that’s insane” and “Fermanagh, stop the bull___” and one quiet “rats, not again” bounced around the room.

“Pipe DOWN!”

Fermanagh didn’t shout much, so when he did it worked – if only from the surprise value.

“Of course its hideous people, but experience has taught us that it – and pretty much nothing else – works. The director will get a squad of police to protect her or him during their duties – we will select a new director every other day – and of course the Director can’t vote except for their tie-breaking powers. My officers will pass around a sheet with the particulars on voting and the like.”

“Now, this burg is about ready to explode, so my officers and I are going to be hard pressed to keep order. I’ve a few secret detectives I’ve put in place to help you, and I hope they’ll get the information to you about who deserves the chop. But it’s going to be up to you to save us all. Get your heads together and then select someone.”

Only a few heard the muttered, “…pray for us sinners, now and at the hour…” that Fermanagh actually ended his speech with.

It would be a long, hot summer.

OOC:

All PMs have been sent. If you're missing one, PM me.

Apologies for the delay. Lots of PMs…..79 to be exact….

Vote to Select a Director for Days 2 & 3. Selections must be recorded in the thread no later than 0900 EST (1400 GMT) 5 February 2008.

So let it be said, so let it be written, so let it be done.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Capo de Tutti Capi - II

Let's start this off right, shall we?

Elect: GeneralHankerchief
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Select: Andres

Might as well select a mod

Post Re: Capo de Tutti Capi - II

I shall
    Select: Kommodus

he's good at finding mafia, and it'd be sad to lose him in first rounds anyway...

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Select:Ichigo

I'm the only one I can trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

We should ask CR if he is a townie. Though I'm not great at asking questions without any loopholes whatsoever, so someone else should work on it.

Elect: Fahad I

We might as well give a new player the full Capo experience.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach

But he cant be of much use as a director

that suggests something...

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Select: Kommodus

Though I must've missed it out in reading rules n stuff, it seems that a director would survive 1st rounds for sure? I recall him pinning down some mafiosi in the past, so agree with Charge.

Plus, I don't like someone who votes for himself as director actually getting the role, because, that's what he wanted? Let's not give 'em that! :P

My first mafia game in a long while! Looking forward to it! innnntresting, but very complicated.. so much rules, and so much players :S

good luck & have fun, everyone!
    Last edited by Drisos; 02-04-2008 at 22:52.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We should ask CR if he is a townie. Though I'm not great at asking questions without any loopholes whatsoever, so someone else should work on it.
    That whole thing died with Mafia VII, which you were a part of, IIRC.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

I intend to

Select: GeneralHankerchief

One who I currently trust, and who will be a popular candidate for the axe if he isn't elected to prove his worth.

I am paranoid of what will be thought of everything I write!

So I must edit to say I trust GeneralHankerchief because I believe he would be given a more moderate role this time - instead of a largely evil one such as in previous games.

Don't credit my guess too faithfully..
    Last edited by PershsNhpios; 02-04-2008 at 22:55.

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

I suggest that we go for someone who will know what they are doing on the first day so that we dont miss any oppurtunities to get a jump on any potential threats.

Elect: GH
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Select: Beefy187
    He's always innocent.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Capo de Tutti Capi - II

Indeed. Rumour has it, Fahad, that you have already been tentatively probing players with the intent of recruiting them.

What say you to this?
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Since the roles were selected randomly, there's no way of knowing who would be dangerous to elect as Director.

Director also doesn't seem to be much of a good role, since you can't vote. However, it does keep you alive, so for now I think an experienced player sounds like a plan.

For now.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I have known GeneralHankerchief for many years. He has been a good friend and neighbor. I know he will do what is best for this town.
    Last edited by TinCow; 02-04-2008 at 23:03.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I intend to

One who I currently trust, and who will be a popular candidate for the axe if he isn't elected to prove his worth.

I am paranoid of what will be thought of everything I write!

So I must edit to say I trust GeneralHankerchief because I believe he would be given a more moderate role this time - instead of a largely evil one such as in previous games.

Don't credit my guess too faithfully..
    This is strange. I don't think it's a good idea to trust GH.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Didn't he say that roles were assigned with random.org? So GH is just as likely as anyone to be mafia. There's no such thing as a law of averages

Yes, but Ichigo, you do not comprehend a good idea to trust anyone, and thus you voted yourself.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Indeed, it's not logical to trust anyone at this point. And I don't think we can count on GH doing what's best for the town either...

am I supposed to think: 'nonsense!' or 'hmmmm, suspicious'

hmmm

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

I agree with Ichigo, blindly trusting anyone is stupid, so i will Select: Kagemusha
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Select: SasakiKojiro

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Yes, but Ichigo, you do not comprehend a good idea to trust anyone, and thus you voted yourself.
    Blind trust in someone is foolish, which means you know something we don't.

Well, then it is a productive and fine thing some of us are stupid, otherwise all 70 of us would vote for ourselves and Seamus would have to make someone Director.
    Then who would feel stupid?

As for suspicions - it is far too early to dearly trust, or despise anyone - given the entirely epic nature of this game, every player knows something the other doesn't, but I love this already!

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

I will Select:Abstain
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Blog Entries

Well, then it is a productive and fine thing some of us are stupid, otherwise all 70 of us would vote for ourselves and Seamus would have to make someone Director.
    Actually, that would be better for the town.

A random selection for Director is just that - random. Townie method of election is subject to player activity, general manipulation, and prior loyalties/deals made. The chances of getting a "tainted" director, especially considering that the families are the only people who know who are each other are, are much lower when done by random selection. The only way this can happen is if everybody gets one vote.

Yes, I know this logic labels me as "tainted." If you want to go after me for it, go ahead. I'm used to early exits from Capo.

An early exit was what I thought you would appreciate being saved from - no, not for any private reason, but for the pretext that I have read all the previous Mafia games, and pity the popular veteran player who gets lynched early - innocent or criminal - without enacting anything.

However, even if Seamus were to select himself, he would not do so randomnly, he would be forced to choose an active player for the welfare of his game, and he would be influenced by certain unconscious things also.

And, knowing his history, he could very easily choose a Don for the sake of disaster!

As for suspicions - it is far too early to dearly trust, or despise anyone - given the entirely epic nature of this game, every player knows something the other doesn't, but I love this already!
    When did I say anyone was stupid? I find it strange that you could trust someone so early in the game is all. Though it would be stupid for everyone to vote for themselves, but I was pretty sure that wouldn't happen.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

someone really wants to be a director...

We do not sow.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Select : Andres

Give me one good reason why I should trust one of you guys
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    Though it would be stupid for everyone to vote for themselves, but I was pretty sure that wouldn't happen.
    Nobody is voting for themselves. Some of us are mereley selecting themselves
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Page 1 of 140 123451151101 ... LastLast