Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CIA: Waterboarding used on 3 suspects

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: CIA: Waterboarding used on 3 suspects

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    This is internally illogica
    Not if you are as cynical as I am, cynism gots a logic of it's own. I don't believe in our goodness, men is wolf to men, decency is an illusion.

If you were a character in The Walking Dead, what type of character would you be?

(I am really not that cyninal, just making a case)
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-15-2014 at 01:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Not if you are as cynical as I am, cynism gots a logic of it's own. I don't believe in our goodness, men is wolf to men, decency is an illusion.

If you were a character in The Walking Dead, what type of character would you be?

(I am really not that cyninal, just making a case)
    Sorry Frags, being cynical just don't cut it as a defense for the ideas you put forth.

You are defending what is the most vile thing a human can do to another...

You seriously have to make an EXTREMELY good case for why it would be needed to torture someone... All you have contributed with is Hollywood fantasies.

Shame on you.

Member thankful for this post:

Convince me why it's always wrong without it just being wrong taken as a given. The Dutch resistance tortured nazi's to get info for the allies. Probably saved a lot of lives. Your whole argument is that it is unacceptable, but you never say why; it's unaccetable, basta. Need a little bit more to chew on.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

There are worse things then terrorism, police states are one of those.

Torture by the state is many steps worse then a police state.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Easy way out, I am not pleading for that, I just say that there are scenarios where I can be comfortable with someone being tortured. You on the other hand would be comfortable with the comfortable bliss that is the moral higher ground, knowing that thousands could die, but at least you are morally superior? That's not being moral, that is being narcist, inherently egocentric to not do what should be done when it's the only option left, no matter how much you would hate doing it.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-15-2014 at 12:28.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Post Re: CIA: Waterboarding used on 3 suspects

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Easy way out, I am not pleading for that, I just say that there are scenarios where I can be comfortable with someone being tortured. You on the other hand would be comfortable with the comfortable bliss that is the moral higher ground, knowing that thousands could die, but at least you are morally superior? That's not being moral, that is being narcist, inherently egocentric to not do what should be done when it's the only option left, no matter how much you would hate doing it.
    Torture outside of TV and movies is notoriously volatile (short life span of useful information if any), and is inaccurate. Might as well stick to burning witches at stakes for all the benefit and justice it achieves.

Standard police work has been shown to be far as or more effective then torture as far as information gathering is concerned. Police work also beats torture hands down for hearts and minds. So police work not only resolves the issue more effectively it doesn't create a new or larger generation of fanatics.

The idea of torture to gain freedom is a dumb tautology. It is counter productive and ineffective. It also relies on the premise that the person somehow has ongoing useful operational knowledge when most terrorist groups act in semi independent cells. It just lowers us to their level and like most laws and law enforcement techniques it tends to bleed out into the wider law enforcement apparatus.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Husar 

I don't think it works either, I am just interested in the higher moral ground that people who are absolutily against it take. I get no answer when asking for it.

Blog Entries

I was originally going to go on a swear filled rant but life got in the way and by the time I got back to this the rage had cooled into despair and I didnt feel like it. After a while I decided that saying anything in opposition to torture would be a waste of time as the only people who would ever even attempt to defend it are either psychopaths like chenye or the worst eschelons of Republican die hards, of which this forum is thankfully devoid of.

Instead I think I shall merely rip off a comment I saw on fark and leave it at that.: "It's disturbingly consistent how conservatives support the government hurting and killing people, and are deeply offended by the government doing anything to promote their health and longevity."
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's a moral dillema, derveres introspection of what you are capable yourself, think the Milgram or Asch experiments

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

The really frightening thing is that I have found most of the police officers I know or have met on line favor torture.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

People are so far removed from unpleasant experiences, they have no intuitive sense of what it means to be tortured.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    People are so far removed from unpleasant experiences, they have no intuitive sense of what it means to be tortured.
    i grew up in a country where my fathers colleague was murdered by the state, dumped on his wifes doorstep in a hessian sack, and her told if she made a fuss her children would never get an education. this was a state where [that] could be done, without any fear of public opinion.

likewise, my mother had lunch with the presidents wife, herself reputed to have knocked off nearly as many people as the big man himself.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 01-04-2015 at 02:11.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234