Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: -The History Channel Presents-

Default -The History Channel Presents-

TIMAEUS: THE HISTORIES
    Part 1

The Greek historian, banished from Sicily, traveled to Athens and soon joined the personal retinue of a prominent statesman, Chremonides Aithalidos Attikos. In 272 B.C. he began work on what would later become known as "The Histories", but which started off as the chronicles of the formation of the Koinon Hellenon, or Hellenic League, and the subsequent wars with Macedon.

Timaues of Sicily, historian and author of "The Histories".

Chremonides was a shameless, self-centered man who wasn’t much liked by those that knew him or had crossed paths with him. However he was a slick politician and a rhetorical expert who knew how to get what he wanted.

Chremonides of Athens, mastermind behind creation of the Hellenic League.

And what he wanted was protection against the encroaching Macedonians. He spread rumors that the Macedonian king, Antigonos, had grand plans of conquering all the Hellenes of the known world if he was successful in his campaign against Athens.

Antigonos, King of Macedonia, enemy of the Hellenes.

In the face of this growing threat from Macedon, Chremonides brought together the Greek city-states of Sparta and Rhodes, together with Athens, to form a coalition against Antigonos, who was now at the doorstep of his city.

The Koinon Hellenon; three formerly bitter rivals, joined together for common defense against the Macedonians.

Agathokles of Rhodes was an important politician and an influential man in the city. He was a main part of the talks for reaching an agreement and bringing together the city-states. However he was an old man by this time and wouldn’t play a major role in upcoming events, dying soon after the formation of the league in the fall of 272 B.C.

Agathokles of Rhodes, chief member of Rhodian participation in the League.

King Areus of Sparta was the other main component of the Hellenic League. Being a sharp man, he realized the need for Athens to retain its sovereignty over Macedon in order to keep his own city safe, and joined with Athens and Rhodes as the final piece of the puzzle. However, he demanded to be named Hegemon of the confederation if he was to include Sparta, which Chremonides and Agathokles reluctantly agreed to in order to finalize the treaty.

King Areus of Sparta, Hegemon of the Koinon Hellenon.

His son, Akrotatos, was named as his heir to this position in a brash move by King Areus. The boy was a superb administrator, acting as governor of Sparta in the absence of his father. He was considered a bit too welcoming to foreigners and would eventually become a subject of rumors and come under suspicion for having ties to the Macedonians.

Akrotatos, son of Areus, heir to the Spartan throne as well as Hegemon of the Hellenic League.

In the next few hours, we will be looking at the events that followed the creation of the Hellenic League, and especially the writings of Timaeus who chronicled in detail most of the battles that would take place in the ensuing wars.

Coming up, the first engagements of the conflict.

-Commercials-

Last edited by Dooz; 03-24-2007 at 19:13.

Default Re: -The History Channel Presents-

Interesting, can't wait to read the next chapter

Me Too! Excellent format. Whatever you do, ALWAYS make sure you end with an ad like the one about the beer you posted in the end.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Teh Awesome!!

Where is my custom avatar? Member Lord Gruffles's Avatar

hehe fun!

~Gruffles

Wonderland
    The History of the Getai AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79451
    Star Haven: A fantasy AAR using Deus lo Vult
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83098

LOL!!!! this is going to be one fun AAR!

Lol! Nice beer commercial!
    Last edited by CaesarAugustus; 03-25-2007 at 01:38.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

sorry!
    Last edited by CaesarAugustus; 03-25-2007 at 01:38.

sorry again!
    Last edited by CaesarAugustus; 03-25-2007 at 01:39.

Quadruple post, dammit!
    Last edited by CaesarAugustus; 03-25-2007 at 01:39.

Part 2

The combined Greek city-states do not have much of a navy to speak of, but do manage to win the first small naval battle off the coast of Athens early on. Soon afterwards however, the depleted fleet is easily destroyed by another, fresher Macedonian one. This puts a dint in King Areus’ plan to invade Crete in order to persuade the islanders to join the coalition. It does not however deter any Hellenic ambitions on the mainland. The city of Corinth is under siege by the summer of 272 B.C.

The city of Corinth, under siege by Areus of Sparta.

Areus anticipates Antigonos’ arrival to support the garrison and relieve the siege soon, but surprisingly he never gets there. Instead, the Macedonian king takes his army and marches north, hiring up Greek mercenaries to bolster his ranks along the way. The Spartan launches his attack on the city, defended by a captain of the Macedonian army and his garrison comprised mostly of levies.

King Areus' Spartans await the battle to come.

The result would send a shockwave throughout the Hellenic cities. Areus had taken the city, but only just barely. The casualties the defending Macedonians inflicted upon the Spartan army are too high for Timaeus, and King Areus’ leadership is questionable at best.

While Timaeus has been accused of favoritism and bias in his works, he is also known to have compiled his information carefully by looking at many sources. These should be kept in mind when examining his work throughout the course of this program.

However bias the report may be, it is indeed true that King Areus’ prestige and standing among the Koinon Hellenon goes down dramatically after his showing at Corinth. There are calls for his claim of hegemony over the coalition to be repealed and given instead to Chremonides, the real mastermind behind the alliance. It is not surprising that many of these requests come from Athens itself, where Chremonides presides and is preparing an army to strike against Chalkis, the last vestige of Macedonian presence in the south.

Chremonides of Athens, laying siege to Chalkis.

Chremonides has with him over 300 Athenian hoplites, fine citizen-warriors from the city. What is surprising however, is the Spartan bodyguard he has amassed. It seems the charismatic Chremonides has attracted quite a following among Spartans, and especially after the humiliating retreat of Areus at Corinth, proud Spartan warriors are looking elsewhere to fight under a worthy leader. With Antigonos still nowhere to be seen, Chremonides launches his attack on the weak garrison of Chalkis.

The small Macedonian garrison awaits their fate.

Timaeus had followed Chremonides as part of his retinue to the battle, which was a change from his previous style of never actually seeing what he’s writing about and never being at the site of the action.

Chalkis had been liberated and joined the Hellenic League. All the southern cities were now under the control of the Greeks, who were still loosely ruled over by King Areus.

The expanded Southern Hellenic League after one year of military campaigns.

Coming up... the king's authority gets challenged, the League's cities come under attack and the Olympics are held in the midst of a great war.

-Commercials-

Great AAR, and ... I don't care!

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Thanks kervanos, and thanks guys for the good reception. It's my first AAR in a long while, finally got myself to get it started. This is an especially interesting campaign, and one I thought people would like to see considering some things that happen in the future... And I'd been thinking about doing this History Channel thing for a while now so here we are! Anyhoo, hope you all enjoy.

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

I lOVE the second comercial........ I don't care either!!!!!!!!! And nice second update too.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 03-27-2007 at 00:11.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Cool Re: -The History Channel Presents-

Wow great AAR! What would make it even more like the History Channel is if some British guy is narrating the story whilst jumping around on stupid looking ruins. That, and Jesus and Hitler need to be mentioned at least once.
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

Celt, you forgot Nostradamus.

Fun AAR, very cool so far!
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Heh, thanks guys. I was kind of running out of steam already (I know, only two entries, but it takes a lot outta' me!) thinking not a lot of people were into it. But it's good to know it's being seen.

I'll update as much as time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by paullus
    Celt, you forgot Nostradamus.

Fun AAR, very cool so far!
    Darn it, your right!

Ah, nevermind. Please delete if any mods see this. Sorry.
    Last edited by Dooz; 03-31-2007 at 09:50.

What!?!?

This is a great story no one said its bad! keep up the good work

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Don't Delete THCP! Don't Delete THCP! Keep It going! It's too awesome to be closed.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 04-01-2007 at 00:41.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Lol, no no. I just meant that post. Delete that post. I had written something else, but edited it out. So you know... sorry about the confusion. But awwww, thanks for the love.

Part 3

…and at 10, the real story of Jesus Christ. If the Bible and the cross came after his death, what exactly is he holding there in his hand? Jesus and the Bible: The Greatest Story Never Told.

The extended Hellenic League is gaining power, and with power comes wealth. For the first time since the war, King Areus of Sparta and Chremonides of Athens are out of debt and can concentrate on local matters. But there is still a war at hand and most of this new resource goes to raising troops from the city-states. Areus finds it difficult however to gain the Corinthians trust and respect, following his humiliating retreat during the attack on the Macedonian occupiers just recently. In search of a proper governor for the city, he formally adopts and places in a charge a man by the name of Perilas Syrios. He is a pessimistic and morose man, but Areus is drawn to his skill as a debater. A tool he believes will be necessary in winning back the hearts and minds of the Corinthians in the future.

An Ionian who has sailed west to escape Seleucid incursions, finds himself in favor with the king of Sparta. He is soon installed as the governor of Corinth.

Areus himself travels to Chalkis and will govern the newly liberated city for a few years. Chremonides is back in Athens, organizing his forces and bringing in new ones from Sparta, Corinth and Chalkis to form a combined Hellenic army, something the bitterly rival city-states would have never imagined prior to the Macedonian menace. This unity and cooperation could not have come soon enough as an Athenian spy sends words of a fairly large Macedonian force marching south towards the fair city. The first Macedonian advance since losing Corinth and Chalkis two years earlier.

Though not Antigonos’ main army, this group lead by Captain Straton is poised to do some damage.

Chremonides sallies out to meet the besieging Macedonian army head-on.

This is believed to be the site of the first battle of Athens, and where Timaeus hid and observed first-hand the carnage of war. Looking at it now, you can just imagine the fear he must have felt watching a battle rage on in front of his eyes, hoping not to get spotted and killed in the fray.

On the wall, carved in large letters it reads, “Timaeus, personal historian to Chremonides Aithalidos Attikos, ruler of Athens.”

But this would not be the final attack on Athens. In another two years, Antigonos sends against the city an even larger force, one comprised mostly of javeliners, slingers and archers, along with a few hundred medium and heavy spearmen.

The large force of skirmishers would prove a considerable challenge to Chremonides’ forces. Thousands of javelins, arrows and stones being hurled at you are no man’s idea of a fun weekend at Athens. Except maybe for Chremonides.

Chremonides triumphed once more over the Macedonians, defending the freedom of Athens and indeed the whole of the Hellenic League a second time. In doing so, he gains more power and influence than ever and is ready and willing to use it. The people cheer his name. They hail him as their savior and true leader of the free Greeks. This is not lost on Areus. He will try to assert his authority by naming his new son-in-law, a Spartan by the name of Sabyron, as governor of Chalkis without consulting Chremonides or any others once again.

A true Spartan. Stern, reserved and unflagging. Worthy of a king’s daughter. He is known to be a skilled infantry commander and a drillmaster, having killed many a soldier just in training or marching. However, he has proven unlucky as a leader in the past and has become testy as a result. His military career is on hold now as he takes over Chalkis from King Areus.

Areus went back to Sparta to see his son, Akrotatos, who he hadn’t had direct contact with in five years. He was not greeted warmly. Spartans are an unforgiving people and it was against their most important rule that Areus had fled Corinth, five years ago. His visit will be short however as the Macedonian threat still looms and Antigonos’ main army awaits to the north.

Coming up after the break… we will take a look at the events that followed the battles at Athens and the catastrophic results they would yield for the Hellenic League.

Tune in next week as we take an unprecedented look at the most notorious figure of the 20th century; Adolf Hitler. Join us as we track his life, from the bloody beginnings to the gory end. Hitler Week, only on the History Channel.

-Commercials-

Excellent update there, even better than the Breezer ad.

What a biased historian !
    I hope Chremonides pay him well !

You know, it's not because you haven't backup that people doesn't like your AAR...the most important thing is the number of viewer for the thread, no ?

Keep it up that way, hellenic brother ;]

Aw man, I hope I didn't come off like some whining pansy, bitching about views or replies. Sorry if I did, I feel embarrassed. I was just excited putting it up I guess and was anticipating replies or something too quickly, but forget all that. It's fun putting it up and I'm glad your all enjoying it.

Oh and, I couldn't sneak Nostradamus in there without feeling like it'd be pushing it, at least for this entry... even the History Channel has to have it's limits you know!

Yeah, the History Channel must stay professionnal !

Don't bother, you're not a weeping artist, I perfectly undestand how it's good to have some backup when you give something of yourself...it's perfectly normal.

I have said this to help you, not to do the opposite :]

This is a great AAR, Wonderland. In particular, you seems to be getting a much better grip on the "ancient historian" voice. Timeus' reaction to the second beattle of Athens is much more Herodotus-ey than his reaction to the taking of Corinth.

Keep bringing the quality. The wise and strong people of the Hellenic world will conquer all!

Rabbit heartily recommends these EB AARs.
    Dreams of An Empire --- History Channel Presents: the Histories of Timaeus --- Battle for the Silk Road
    ...but he's a newb, so don't listen to him.

I'm loving this AAR! Great campaign and great humor at the same time! I was actually glad you didn't go over board with Nostradamus. Pace yourself and don't use up all your jokes too quickly! Keep up the great work Wonderland I wanna see what happens next!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast