Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

The Caliph himself rises

We shall soon see from the actions of the Turkish Sultan whether he will simply act in defense of his neighbour and ally, or whether he will use this attack on Armenia by Rome as an excuse to grab land in Anatolia.

For my part I am regretful if my words did not condemn the true aggressor with sufficient force.

The Romans have plenty of land to take from the barbarians to their north without needing to wage unprovoked war on the civilized people of Armenia.

Let Rome learn from the folly of her ancestors, who found their capital sacked and in flames more than once as a result of their greedy and acquisitive natures.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Honourable Caliph:

The Turks regret that we had to disagree with you on that one minor point. Rest assured, you will forever have the loyalty and servitude of the mighty Turks.

I also wish to assure you and the international community; Rome has brought this war upon herself. They were warned repeatedly, and we also warned all before the council that Armenia is our ally. They chose to disregard the sovereignty of other nations and they chose to defy the will of their neighbors, and of the council, and of the Caliph himself.

Should they IMMEDIATELY and unequivocably retreat from this attack, and press the council, myself, and my allies for a full pardon, they will have to pay reparations and cede territory such that Armenia has a buffering province between herself and the Romans, so that this outrage will not be repeated.

I am a man committed to peace, but I am no fool and I am no coward. I will not back down to the imperialist aggressor and I will make them pay for what they have done by personally destroying their invasion stacks. They would do well to disband their attacking force and go home in disgrace, that their family line will not be interrupted.

I must at this time offer a peace deal, in spite of the fact that I fully intend to commit to this war if the Romans do not comply.

They must accept the following conditions:

1. They must cede their nearest province to Armenia, to enhance Armenia's border and security.

2. They must cede Trebizonid and Sinope to the Sultan, that these provinces may not be a party to an attack on us. Romans had previously agreed to cede us these provinces that we might have peace and a defensible border between us. Now it is a necessary step.

3. They must demilitarize their bordering states with us. None more than a quarter stack garrison will be permitted. This was also a condition of our peace talks.

4. Reparations must be paid to Armenia as they demanded. 2000 florins to be repaid immediately, or in installments of not less than 500 per turn until the debt is repaid.

5. They will submit to international inspection to confirm their demilitarization and their territorial obligations. I will post proof that they have stood down and ceded the necessary provinces to preserve the peace.

6. If they do all of this, I will also accept a demilitarization agreement. However, Because my main recruitment center is near their border, and it is a necessary defender of my capital, it will be exempted from the demilitarization. I give my word before the entire council that this province will not be used to create an invasion force, as I do not wish and have never sought war with my neighbors. My word is my bond, and I will honour it. Wars of aggression are not the policy of this Sultan. Therefore it is in the Roman's best interests not to try any assassinations, otherwise that policy will change.

The Turkish delegate's eyes are filled with fire. They convey only a miniscule fraction of the Sultan's own wrath towards the Roman instigators.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-16-2008 at 08:15.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Default The Embassy at Baghdad

The Turkish delegate has a council-wide announcement:

The Sultan has made this offer to all nations concerned with peace, be they Muslim, Orthodox, Catholic, Pagan, or Hindu.

Our diplomat is approaching Baghdad. We require war bonds to persue the defensive war against the aggressors in Anatolia. Any nation who wishes to profit from the triumph of liberty over Imperialism, and to profit off of the unbreakable word of the Sultan himself, is offered to be repaid TRIPLE whatever funds they allocate to our cause, to be repaid in the order of highest contribution.

Your support in this matter will forever be a sign of friendship between yourselves and the Sultan, and you will much profit from our triumph! Be generous with your loans, and the Sultan will remember, and come to your aid whenever the cause is just.

Remember that in all of history, empires built upon blood and aggression, and mass enslavement of the people have always fallen. The people will never submit to their rule, and honourable nations have always triumphed over evil, in the short or the long term.

Most of the nations I have engaged in private dealings with have agreed to meet my diplomat at Baghdad. Every single one of you will profit from this. Bring your emissaries to Baghdad, and we will ALL profit from one another.

I may consider offering you each a gift of florins merely from attending this conference of diplomats. I plan to establish a permanent embassy here. The triumph against Roman aggression is only the beginning! When the great armies of the east descend upon us, my military and florin assistance will greatly benefit us all. The more who contribute to our combined cause, the easier it will be to defend against the rumoured vast armies who are currently crushing the distant Chin peoples.

Should any nation here become a superpower, and threaten all other nations, this embassy will provide all smaller nations a way to combat such a threat. Join the Sultan of Rum in his great undertakings, and the skilled leadership and sharp diplomacy of all will forever triumph against Imperialism!
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-16-2008 at 09:34.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

wherever the wind takes my (broadband connected) box

Default Re: the question of legitamacy

the Khwarezm ambassador rises from his seat

Gentlemen, I would have the issue raised of why the turks propose such harsh peace terms, even though it was not they who were attacked, indeed, they stand to gain more from peace than the kingdom of armenia who was attacked in the first place!

I find the 6th term especally interesting, it would, to all intents and purposes deem the Romani as little more than vassals of rum.

Surely the only militarily appropriate stance from a nation which speaks so highly of peace would be to send military aid into cillatia, and not move the conflict into other area's as well.

*turning to face Rums ambassador he continues*

I ask this not to offend you, or your people, but we are especally suspicious of your use of the term "great armies of the east".. and your knowledge of empire's to the north of ourselves... are we to suppose that the sultanate of rum and its vassalships are the only one's capable of checking kara-khathi or mongol aggression?

*addressing the chamber as a whole once more*

We wish to hear why the romans attacked the Armenian's in the first place, before favouring either side, and would urge all nations do this before sending money or troops to either side in what is a very muddled situation
    WotB: Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes, marching round the arche beating up rebels

LotR: Lisas Attaliedas, currently in reserve

I have responded to the Khwarezm ambassador privately, as he is discussing our defensive military strategy openly and this is not advisable.

As for why the Romans have attacked, their silence on the matter should make it obvious. They are a warlike race, with a long history of attacking neutral parties. They did not even choose an honourable target, the Rum. They decided to pick on the weaker state, Armenia, and supposed that they could bully us into accepting their belligerent claims.

I bear no ill will towards those who wish to remain neutral, but if the situation were reversed, wouldn't you want our assistance?

Allow me to make it especially clear, when we refer to the great armies of the East, we mean the Mongols. The Khwarezmids are our friends, and you would be the ones who would benefit the most from our proposed military aid. I am admittedly and understandably surprised that you don't want even monetary aid. I'd leap at any free money sent my way.

Anything that strengthens Khwarezm strengthens us all against the Mongols. If you do not wish Rum assistance then we politely withdraw such an offer.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-16-2008 at 11:41.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

Georgia is curious as to why the Turks are taking the center stage in this matter and why they are the one making demands. Armenia has already asked for reperations, but it seems to us that the Turks are only making things worse by imposing terms the Romans will surely refuse. Let Armenia speak for itself, unless it has become a vassal of the Turks. We would also like to be precise in that we do not condemn the military intervention of the Turks for the sake of their ally, but rather why are curious about their attitude and if they truly seek a peaceful cooperation with their neighbors. Their words claim peace, but there recent actions have left us confused in that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

The mail-clad messenger enters the chamber looking somewhat refreshed at the expense of the Caliph, but looking pale and distraught.

My Lords,

I will soon need a new employer as the ruling family of Armenia will soon be dead from the treachery of our Christian neighbours...

As we feared, Jerusalem has attacked us and has one of our castle and our main city under siege...

Do not question the motives of the Sultan of Rum whose intentions towards our little kingdom have been nothing but honourable...

With a long look directed at the Georgian emissary, the Armenian continues, with pleading in his voice...

Why do you all not question the actions of those blasphemous Christians ?

I understand that we are not Muslims and thus do not have any worth in your eyes...

Will no one but the Turks come to our aid ?

Not a single of your so-called civilized kingdoms has yet condemned the callous agression wrought upon us without necessity... We weren't a threat to anybody, we were content to settle the lands that surround our main cities... We have never been war-like...

Once again, I tell you do not seek to question the Turks' actions for they are the only one that find grace in our eyes at this point...

With these last word, the man casts a dejected look upon the assembled lords before sitting down.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

The Ghorids would be happy to help, were it possible.

Ghorid ambassador, you can help us if you so desire. Although Armenia is crumbling before the might of the invaders, they do not bear us ill will for being unable to stop the invasion, as it all took place before my troops were able to assemble. For now, diplomacy has failed.

I have been much more generous with my terms before the war began. But we have never had a peace treaty with the Romans, as they have absolutely refused. In fact, rather than offer a counter-proposal to us, or even state their case before the council, they remain deathly silent on the issue.

They do not seek the council's approval. Look at the very first post the Roman ambassador has left in this council thread. Nothing but threats and hostilities. The Romans have offered nothing but such hatred of all.

And by the way, when have the Romans come to the aid of their ally Georgia??? When being destroyed by the Seljuk, the Romans send not even a kind word, save a vague promise of troops. I have seen the province they have claimed to raise a defensive army from. It was empty. The army they raised moved in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION in order to claim Sinope, which clearly is within the sphere of influence of the Rum Turks.

Abandoning their allies to invaders for their own personal greed, sending threats to the council, never uttering a word in their own defense. But what else would we expect from the Romans, who have for a thousand years promoted racism, intolerance, military conquest, and executions of the innocent. They exterminate those who reject their rule.

Why would they show any kindness towards the council? They would seek to enslave you all, just as they now enslave good Armenians, their own Christian brothers.

As Armenia has already said, the only true friends these Christians have is their faithful Muslim allies, who even now are still trying to rescue Armenia in a near-futile effort. I would leave it to Tristan to accuse the other nation of attacking him, but since this has happened outside of his turn, he cannot.

As I have no proof, my hands are similarly tied. Armenia's ruling family will die at the hands of heartless military conquerors, with no valid pretext for war. I regret that I could not act in time.

Dear friends in the council, you may react with shock and alarm at my vehement response to the Roman aggressors. I would apologize were I in the wrong here. The only combative force against those who will not respond diplomatically is to use military force, or threats thereof. Not that even this has fazed the Roman aggressors, who still refuse to defend themselves before the council or negotiate in good faith.

I ask you this: Should the Romans triumph in their cause, slaughtering Armenians, then the Rum Turks, would you all band together then to stop this madness? It is easy to be reluctant when these savages are not on your doorstep. But if they were, I would be already gone and unable to help.

Please help us. I am not trying to condemn or make anyone feel guilty for being ambivalent or reluctant. I understand your reactions, I might feel the same way. However, being on the front line against these brutal savages gives me a perspective others may lack. I plan to stop their brutal conquests, beginning with the Armenian aggression, pushing back their Turkish invasion force, and pushing them out of Anatolia entirely.

Should they press for peace, they shall have it. But not before their armies are ready to drop their swords and go home, and then deal with the international outrage for thier crimes, of which there is sadly very little.

Some few among you have pledged their support. That is good enough. Through my words and my actions, I will try to convince the rest of you of my pure intent. Again, I bear none of you any malice for being unable or being reluctant to help. It is not your ally nor your border being attacked, and you have more pressing matters at home.

As for the Ghorids, even a token loan would be most generous. Send us at least 500 florins, and you will receive your 1500 florins by the war's end.

================

The Sultan's war debt repayment structure:

1. Parties will offer X amount in war loans.
    2. In exchange, the Sultan will offer tribute in installments until the debt is paid off or the war is over and he can repay in one lump sum. No matter how much the debt is.
    3. Due to the ability to deficit spend, even if we go bankrupt, you will still get your money so long as this faction remains in existence.

Base interest rates are 200% plus the principal, or 300% repayment total.
    Some few will receive an added bonus for being swift with their loans or generous in their sums. They know who they are.

All others interested in bankrolling the Sultan in his defense of Anatolia against the Roman aggressors, send your diplomat to Baghdad, and send an emissary privately to meet with me.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-17-2008 at 03:24.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Post Re: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

Finally rising up to speak

While the Ayyubids do not wish to betray the peace settled between King Baldwn and us, he is concerned about the attacks of Jerusalem and Constantinople against their smaller neighbours.

We wonder what the Armenians did to summon the wrath of their Christian neighbours.
    Last edited by Banzai Kamikaze; 03-17-2008 at 03:42.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Has the Kingdom of Jerusalem actually attacked the nation of Armenia, or are they merely holding their ground nearby?

In any case, we find all of this most disagreeable. When word first reached India of the noble goals of the Crusaders in the far off Levant we felt a certain kinship with that people, fighting to free their ancestral lands from the rising tide of Islam. If those goals have now been perverted into naked aggression the Rajput people will be forced to rethink the reverence they have heretofore had for the men of Jerusalem and their quest.

From what little I know of Roman history, extending their empire at the cost of a lesser power does not seem out of character. Still, it is greatly to be hoped that peace will prevail in the end.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

A messenger in Ghazni colors burst in, looking as if he had ridden all night. He whispers something to the Ghazni emmissary, who turns to address the council, grief stricken.

Honored members of this council. I regret to inform you that Shah Khusrau's son, Bahram, has died subduing the rebel city of Herat. That his son died in successfully taking the city provides him little consolation. For the next few days the Ghazni emmisary and other servants of Ghazni will be absent from this court, as they go into mourning.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

The doors of the Court are slammed open as a hulking man bedecked in a greek-style armor makes his way in, followed by a few dozen attendants. At last, the Roman ambassador that had been absent from court has returned.

INFIDELS! LIARS! HYPOCRITES! The slanderous babbling that goes about in this court is an offense to God and to people of good will throughout history! Have you all forgotten the history of the past 200 years? That the Turks who so boldly claim peace have invaded the lands of all nations, fought their brother moslems as well as Rome's subject, that they have invaded and destroyed Armenia and that it is only through imperial mercy that most Armenians found a home under the Basileos' gaze in Cilicia! Cilicia! An imperial province!

We held talks with the Armenians to offer them generous terms in the reconquest of Anatolikon from the Turkish plague. Not only did we recognize their independence, but were ready to split our ancestral holdings with them. But the aggresivity with which they answered left us no choice but to intervene. A Christian problem to be solved by Christians. And behold! The Latins had the same feeling as Rome! They too felt that intervention in Armenia was required. Armenia's unhealthily strong friendship with the Turks only fuels its neighbor's suspicions (glaring at the Armenian diplomat) and I vow that once we are rid of the unholy rash of Turkish occupation in Anatolikon, we will deal most harshly with you Armenian felon!

The Roman then turns around and, hand on the pommel of his sword, marches threateningly on the Turkish emissary; only a glare from the Caliph stops him.

As for you, miserable wretch, we spit on what you call peace offers! Peace for a Turk means relinquishing your lands under fear of reprisal. Peace for a Turk means leaving your cities without guards so they can pillage them at will. Peace for a Turk means vassalage in all but name. Is your memory so dull that you forget that our last comment in this court was to declare war on you and your entire race, dog? And yet we pulled our armies from the frontier, as a show of good faith. And we even considered trading land with you in the future. You say you have sought peace? Then what have you done to obtain it? Threaten us? Deceived us? Demand we hand over our land under threat of violence? Even here in this council you seek to destroy us by amassing funds for your own wars of aggression! Well Rome will fight you even though it costs us every last single life in great Konstantinopolis. If you think you can overcome us easily, you are badly mistaken.

Cooling down and addressing the council.

This council can chose to see this matter as it wishes. The Turks are obvious warmongering liars. Those who chose to see differently are blinding themselves to the truth. As for the Armenians, distant nations should ask themselves why two of Cilicia's neighbors felt threatened enough to commit troops to a conflict so far from their own heartlands. After all, a conquest of Cilicia would be defendable neither for Jerusalem or Rome.

Having finished, the Roman sits down with a sigh. His weary features and grisly expression reveal that he has received dire news from home and that he knows the council is against him. Only his dignity prevents him from breaking down further. He mutters under his breath: Ex nihilo calamitas...

The longest lasting leper ever Member rossahh's Avatar

As the delegates and representatives of the various factions begin to look over towards the seat of the representative from Jerusalem, they are surprised to find it, and those around it, empty. None could say for sure when the delegation departed and in what manner they left, due to the present distractions. Nor could any guess the true reasons for the departure - though all had they're own private theories.
    "Okay, here come the cavalry, get your swords out lads!" - the Captain details his orders to the pikemen

Default Rebuttal of Doom

The Turkish delegate issues a written statement from his residence.

First and foremost, our condolances go out to the Ghazni King for his loss. Our brothers and friends the Ghazni were seeking only to bring law and order to a land cruelly held in the grip of bandits and warlords.

Now, on to the business at hand;

The Romans who would claim territories that they once owned contend that former ownership of territory is the same as being a righteous claim to it.

If that is the case, why do you not renounce your claims to all the lands that the former Roman empire once held, and pack up your bags and go back to Rome where you came from. After all, I am sure the ancient peoples of Iberia, Gaul, Brittania, Germania, Italia, Greece, Thrace, Dacia, Seleucia, and Syria would all love their lands back. In fact I am fairly certain that almost all of these peoples now have sovereign nations to call their own, apart from Roman imperialism. If you claim lands once called your own, then turn west and go reconquer them. By that same token, let the peoples of the lands you once conquered attempt to reclaim them as well.

Now we see the false logic of claiming formerly held territory. All territory is formerly held by someone other than ourselves. It is a fool's argument and it leads us in circles.

The only territory that belongs to you is land whose people freely claim allegiance to your rule. Anything else is but a grandiose and laughable claim.

This new false Rome you call your capital is but a fragment of what was once a supposedly glorious empire. But I digress.

The same logic which fueled the argument against the Seljuk is the same which you ignore. You say you had suspicions and concerns about Armenia, yet did you take these claims before the council and resolve them peacefully, or did you take matters into your own hands and attack Armenia in a coward's fashion, without warning, and with Crusaders to back you up?

A small nation such as Armenia, and your "mighty" empire couldn't take it by yourself? Her small forces turned you back for the moment, and yet you claim such military genius that you will triumph over the Rum, who are backed by many on the council which you've repeatedly insulted and threatened?

As for Jerusalem, their actions leave us little choice but to declare war.

I do not see how they can repay the Armenians for slaughtering their royal family nor butchering their fellow Christians. I question their commitment to the spirit and message of their lord. If one is to be called a hypocrite, it is you Latins and Romans who doubletalk about Christ and mercy and peace and then wage wars of aggression against peaceful neighbors, and then say that you are the victim?

You know our offers of peace were far more amiable before you declared war on our ally. We were to compensate you for land which you yourselves admitted you neither wanted, nor could defend. At this point, however, you have committed such outrageous crimes that I don't think you could ever fully pay for them.

You dare doubletalk about Turks slaughtering Armenians, and then proceed to do the same thing? What ridiculousness. The Armenian King himself has proclaimed US to be his ONLY friend and source of integrity, strength, and honour. Yet you twist the facts to make it seem like we are Armenia's enemy. They have a word for what kind of nonsense that is, but I cannot utter it here.

Liars and hypocrites are we? My God, someone get this man a mirror, for he has never seen his twisted reflection. At this point I am beginning to wonder if you even have a reflection at all. Are you nothing but empty threats?

I would also remind you, as you continually call us aggressors, that your fallacious argument is entirely hollow, as it has been most easily and thoroughly established that YOU ARE THE AGGRESSOR. My calling on my friends and brothers for monetary assistance is to wage a defensive war. Defensive means turning back invaders. Invaders like those who just swarmed into Armenia, a neutral and peaceful state. Invaders like those who cross into Turkish territory to wage war on our allies. Invaders like those who sack cities which are clearly under our sphere of influence, like Sinope. Invaders who have insulted this council over and over and now suddenly, while in the middle of raping and pillaging, facetiously turn to this council to say "please, hold back your gold and weapons from entering Turkish hands, for we only seek peace!"

Were your lies not an insult to those you have murdered, one might find this all quite amusing.

You are more than just two-faced. Indeed, there are so many faces to you, Roman, that you end up arguing against yourself. Perhaps the entire Roman army is just a single man who is just a really ingenious doubletalker. I need not even condemn you for your crimes, because you accuse us of:

1. waging wars of aggression and conquering your lands
    2. seeking the council's assistance in this matter
    3. lying and doubletalking and betraying our principles
    4. Being infidels to our faith

While your own actions and words have demonstrated all of the above and thensome. Do you wish to retract your silly argument against your own deeds? Is it clear to you now how utterly ridiculous it is for two aggressor nations to sit back and play the hurt little puppy dog when it is they who have been the sole attackers and murderers here?

I haven't even had a chance to move my armies yet. Somehow I've gravely insulted you by pointing out the obvious.

When you have a defense for your actions that does not also condemn your own actions at the same time, let the council know. For the now, the Sultan breaks his vow of silence just to laugh at you.

Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-17-2008 at 07:51.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

The Roman ambassador allows himself a tired laugh.

The Turks truly have no idea what they are talking about. To return to Rome? Maybe they meant Italia. Because last I checked, Rome, Nova Roma, the city of Konstantine, is on the coast of the Bosphorus. As for the West, the Empire was separeted long ago. The Augustus of Ravenna chose to grant lands to the feodus and yes, the Franks do have legitimate claims to their lands unline the Turks and unlike the felonius Armenians. But one wonders why is the turkish Sultan so keen on those distant lands. If he were to overun us in defense of his lands, were would he stop? Thessalonike? Graecia? Serbia? Why not Vienna! In the name of peace of course.

But since the Sultan is an honorouble man, we shall take him to his word. He is amassing his troops for a defensive war! We shall then have no fear of seeing his banners under our walls in Trapezon and Sinope. After all should he not be heading for Cilicia to help his Armenian friend? Or does peace now mean expansion?

The mail-clad Armenian messenger finishes checking the minutes of the proceedings in the Caliph's court before rising to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lemongate
    We held talks with the Armenians to offer them generous terms in the reconquest of Anatolikon from the Turkish plague. Not only did we recognize their independence, but were ready to split our ancestral holdings with them.
    How dare you speak of generous offer ? You wished to treat us as your lackeys and unleash us on unsuspecting countries to our east and south.

Here is proof taken from the message received by our King and found among his belongings.

Hail Great King of Cilicia!

Your forefathers served well the Empire in ages past and recent years have seen much fighting from both our peoples against the swarms of Arabia and of the East. In that spirit of trust, the Basileos would like to enter into an agreement concerning our mutual frontiers and the inevitable reconquest of Anatolikon.

Here is the proposal put fort by the Roman People:

The cities of Ikonion (Konya), Laranda (Karaman), Sebasteia (Sivas), Attaleia (Attalia) and Theodosiopolis (Erzurum) and all settlements north and west of them are to be the dominion of the Basileos. The cities of Seleukeia (Seleukia), Vahka and Matalya are to belong to the Armenian people, along with any conquest they would make further east and south, with the exception of Cyprus.

Concerning the settlements of Justianopolis (Kirsehir), Kaisareia (Kayseri) and Sebasteia (Sivas) currently under Turkish oppression, the Basileos would agree that if it is his armies that retake these cities, half the plunders garnered by his armies would rightly return to the Kingdom of Cilicia as a gesture of friendship between our two people. However, would it be your forces that conquer any of the cities belonging to the empire, we only ask that you return the city as soon as possible and could keep all of your plunder.

The Basileos would further like to add that the Empire has no plans of expanding further east into Greater Armenia and will not be sending armed forces beyond the borders of Trebizon or Theodosiopolis (Erzurum).

If such terms are acceptable to you, we would be pleased to sign formal treaties of trade and cooperation (alliance) between our two people.

Otherwise we are open to negotiations, but would like to impress upon you the fact that whoever rules in Konstantinopolis, the Roman People will consider western and central Anatolikon theirs.

May there be peace in our time.

Manuel Megas Komnenos, Basileos of Rome
    As all can see with their own eyes, the Roman offer is only an insult to our people ill-disguised behind condescending words.

I remember full well the terms of my King's answer for having been the mesenger to the palace of your Basileos who proved as corrupted by power as his Roman forefathers...

My King offered you an alliance and a trade treaty and offered we take our share of the Muslim lands surrounding us (OOC : before ATPG joined in...) but it seems all this negociation was only a decoy to your true intentions...

May be be cursed for fifty generations, and your Jerusalem catamite with you...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

OOC: This point is kinda moot since it presupposed that the sultanate was an AI to be conquered in a few turns... However, for the sake of the argument:

Tell us in what way this offer would have condemned you to vassalage to the Empre? It seems to us that the only settlement you have gained since this offer was made is Vahka. Had our troops not been forced into a conflict with your people, half the plunder of Anatolikon was to be yours. Truly this was a generous offer. Not only are you a felon, you are greedy and ungrateful to boot!

The Turkish ambassador arrives and bows before the Caliph. Then he marches over towards the Armenian and stands by his side, and addresses the Roman "ambassador" with eyes like fire, and his words thundering:

How unskillfully the Roman ambassador avoids the point entirely. The true Roman empire fell long ago, and you are but a tired and decaying remnant. However, according to your logic, all of the former Roman empire belongs to you and the rest of us should just hand it over. What of your "ally" Jerusalem? Surely the lands of Jerusalem were once oppressed by the Romans. Why don't you go claim your "formerly occupied" territories there? After all, you good Christians will surely love one another enough to share the lands in peace.

Or have we already forgotten how well you treat your fellow Christians. However much you need schooling in history, you need further education regarding current events.

Since you have not offered terms of peace or surrender as a counter to our offer, obviously that means by default you wish to persue this most ungodly war in the name of pure power-grabbing and naked ambition. As such, our response will be to push back your invaders, and lay seige to your own cities, until you finally surrender and accept peace.

You possess neither the rhetorical mastery nor the moral authority to condemn us for attempting to end this war which YOU started. You can call us hypocrites because we arm for the sake of peace, and will commit to war in the cause of ending one. However, that is simply how honourable nations respond to brutal aggressors such as yourselves. You simply have no reputation or standing left, no scruples, no ethical concerns, and you are in no position you condemn us, or your own victims, for acting in response to your attack.

How many Armenians died in your attack? How many fell under Jerusalem's strike? How many people did your soldiers and hired mercenaries murder in order to achieve your greedy ambitions? I suppose none of their deaths makes one shred of difference to honourable and compassionate people such as yourselves. Did you dump their bodies in mass graves to hide your crimes, or did you simply leave their bodies strewn about the land, to be the feast of the crows? Now talk to us of peace.

Did you ever stop for once to consider how the council would view you after this brutality? Did you ever feel queasy at the sight of the blood of the innocent? Did you ever once see one of your soldiers raising a sword against an Armenian mother and child, and ask them to show restraint? The same restraint you have shown in this council, no doubt.

You spit in the face of diplomacy. You spit in the face of mercy. You spit in the face of peace. WHO ARE YOU TO CONDEMN US FOR DEFENDING OURSELVES??? What gives you the right to protest? When you are on your knees begging the council for mercy, then you shall have forgiveness. While you continue to defend your atrocities with your insane justifications and continue to live in your fantasy dream world where anyone cares what protests you have in the name of peace, the people of Armenia have been robbed of their homes, their fathers have been killed in battle, their sons left to die, their mothers and sisters and daughters enslaved, their possessions plundered by lawless aggressors, their homeland destroyed... and all for what purpose?

What purpose? What purpose was served by the senseless slaughter of your innocent Christian neighbors? In the name of Allah, I command you to ANSWER FOR YOUR CRIMES!

Very well, I will answer for you, since none wish to hear your twisted tongue any longer. Your sole purpose here is the disgusting ambition to reclaim your former Roman empire, one nation at a time.

Do not speak to us of peace, Roman, for you do not know the word. For now, I have made my intentions clear before the council. I will personally obliterate your murderous invader armies. I will turn back the tide of Roman oppression. I will force you back from our lands and, if necessary, out of Anatolia. And then I will richly compensate those who have stood with me to defend the peace.

I may permit you the dignity of retaining your capital and your southern ports, when you surrender or I am satisfied with your apology. When you have been defeated on the battlefield, I may show you mercy that YOU have not shown towards YOUR victims. But the terms of the peace will be harsh, and justly so. You will never again be permitted to raise an invasion army on Anatolian soil. Your territories that remain on our border will submit to demilitarization.

Why I show any restraint towards this genocidal faction at all is only because I honour the wishes and good intentions of the council. But rest assured, our armies are committed to triumph over you. Do not show your twisted face in this council again until you are TRULY prepared to talk about peace.

The Caliph's guards are the only thing seperating my sword from your neck, Roman "ambassador" of "peace".

If peace means liberating lands from Roman occupation, until you are prepared to surrender and answer for your crimes here before the council, then that is what it shall mean.

By God, I will end your aggression against these Armenians, this council, and our own people. When next we meet, it will be on the battlefield. I would urge you to leave these chambers, personally ride your horse into battle, and prove your illegal claims to territories long independent from Roman warmongering.

You presumed the Turks would roll over and die when you drew your sword against us and our allies. You presumed wrong. Many on the council already see the wisdom in turning back your brutal aggression. Do not dare speak to me again unless it is on your knees. Speak to the council and tell them why they should not support us in our cause to defend Armenia, ourselves, and end Roman aggression.

You will never convince us with your words, as they are all twisted and meaningless. You must now convince every other delegate here of your case. Otherwise, you and your entourage may leave this place and go... (The Turkish ambassador hesitates, and just barely restrains his words) ...defend yourselves.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-18-2008 at 04:23.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

A tired smile on his lips, the Roman ambassador calmly answers the Turk.

Ah! But you finally make sense at last, imbecile. We do indeed plan to rebuild Rome much more glorious then ever and we will fight all wars necessary to reach that goal. We do not need pretense like you. Honesty. An old Roman virtue. You should try it sometimes. Now, however, that doesn't change the fact that we are still willing to negotiate and make concessions. Just see the offer we made to the Armenians. That's generosity right there. Of course the ungrateful wretches chose to view us with suspicion and envy. It is rather cowardly that they do not show the tone of the exact response they gave us. (OOC as being a Junior member I was unable to keep it...)

And I admit, the world has changed since the Augustus' jointly ruled the world. Now dogs like you are allowed to speak at court! Marvel at the advances of our age! We speak of peace say you? Funny how I clearly remember myself saying we would fight those who betrayed us (he gives a quick glance to the Armenian) and those who oppose us. We do not hide our goals in fancy rhetoric as you say. I remember clearly stating which were our objectives in the rebel lands. Heracleia, Sinope, Dorylaion and Amorion. It left you much space to expand. Seleukeia, Laranda, Amaseia and all the lands East that you've already laid claim to in this council. We have made no military movement in your lands Turk and no claims to your settlements, unlike you who greedily eyes Sinope and Trapezon. Oh you will take them no doubt! And we shall see how much respect you show their inhabitants. They are defenseless settlements with barely a token garrison. You talk of massacres we committed? Bring us the proof. Your own character suggests far worse. And as for our heartlands, we eagerly await your armies. Unless of course you are too much of a coward to fight a battle against the soldiers of Rome? We begin to tire of your idle threats. Up to now you have proven a dog with no teeth and an annoying wail.

As for the support of this council... except for you, I fail to remember anyone else that has begged for money in these halls. Why, I ask you, should Rome act as a beggar when God is on her side?

Saruman the Wise Member deguerra's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia (but born and bred in Germany)

Because the day God has seen it fit to rain money on Roman...unbelievers has yet to be seen by this Imam.
    Saruman the White
    Chief of the White Council, Lord of Isengard, Protector of Dunland

*A forlorn looking messenger approaches the Khwarezm ambassador, they have a short whispered conversation*

Somber news has arrived from Merv, Shah Ala-Addan, has passed away peacefully in his sleep, the whole shahdom is in mourning.
    As soon as the will is found I will let you all know the new shah.
    WotB: Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes, marching round the arche beating up rebels

The Sultan offers his condolances to the family of the mighty shah.

Rest assured, the Sultan is already planning a memorial for this man, to be constructed at the very heart of Istanbul, towering high enough for the royal family of the shah that they might see it even from where they stand.

gesturing obscenely towards the Romans

I still hear your gums flapping, but I hear no reasons behind your atrocities which will spare you from your inevitable death and destruction. I believe I warned you to direct your pretentious pleas towards the Caliph and this council. Perhaps if I should cut out your tongue, it might serve to silence you in this moment of solemn remembrance.

Indeed, I should send the Shah this dog's tongue, that his family might feast upon it's twisted meat.

The Turkish ambassador slowly withdraws his sword...

Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-18-2008 at 10:25.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

The Armenian messenger rises and adresses the Roman emissary, fury distorting his voice.

Tell us in what way this offer would have condemned you to vassalage to the Empire? It seems to us that the only settlement you have gained since this offer was made is Vahka. Had our troops not been forced into a conflict with your people, half the plunder of Anatolikon was to be yours. Truly this was a generous offer. Not only are you a felon, you are greedy and ungrateful to boot!
    Greed and ungratefulness, that is what you accuse us of when we asked for nothing except freedom to live our lives as we wanted to live them...

Your GENEROSITY consisted only in the leftover garbage from your table... What use would we have had of plunder... That is blood money, unfit for true Christians...

How have your troops been forced into a conflict, we made no agression towards you either in words or in action. Our only warlike action was to submit the castle of Vahka where Mleh the Usurper had taken residence and was gathering forces to reclaim the crown of Armenia... How was that a threat to Rome ?

Just see the offer we made to the Armenians. That's generosity right there. Of course the ungrateful wretches chose to view us with suspicion and envy. It is rather cowardly that they do not show the tone of the exact response they gave us. (OOC as being a Junior member I was unable to keep it...)
    GENEROSITY... Pfah !! (Spitting on the ground) Never have you known the sense of that word... As for the answer our King gave you, I being his mesenger can retell it from memory, so that the Council may know there was nothing threatening in that message but only the assertion of our freedom from Roman rule...

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Armenia
    Your pitiful offer is of no interest to us... We are not beggars to be thrown the remnants of your table like dogs...

We will take what we see fit to take and will then negociate if you wish some of our holdings returned to you but we will be free to choose our path of conquest...

We are not your vassals and do not consider ourselves to be bonded by your desires...

Nevertheless we are ready to ally ourselves with you as Christians and share trade and maps for our mutual benefit.

We will take our share of the Muslims lands and advise you to do the same
    Once we were your slaves, but that time is past... The only generosity you showed was with the number of whiplashes you rained on our forefathers' backs...

Armenia is but a small kingdom compared to Rome but we are a proud people... You cannot suffer that anyone stands up to Rome, the spoiled brat of a perverted father... All of Anatolikon would not have been enough for you... And where would that leave Armenia ? As a province of Rome ?

We had nothing to threaten you with and would have been your allies as true Christians... You pushed us in an unholy alliance with the Turks and I truly hope that if my kingdom dies at your sword then the Turks will prevail and that the Crescent flag floats on Constantinople...

The Armenian messenger slowly regains his seat, shaking from suppressed tears of rage.

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

The Muslims will not stand idle while these Romans and Levantines destroy innocent Armenian lives. Our faith commands us to respond.

Rest assured, Council... The Rum Turks will prevail in the name of Armenia, and they will not be crushed underfoot by the two strongest empires of the west. I have already taken steps to ensure the Royal family survives the night. They are now under our protection.

Armenia's people are not involved with this conflict...

If either state has exterminated civilian people of Armenia, THEY will be the first to die. If they have burned her structures to the ground as well, Allah will assist me in crushing them.

If you have any honour remaining, have mercy on the people of Armenia. Turn your wrath towards ME, you traitors of your own people!

Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-18-2008 at 16:26.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Assalam alaikoom, friends.

To all who wish to barter with the Sultan of Rum, here is the location of our diplomat en route to Baghdad. We are currently on the banks of this southern river, heading east, roughly halfway between Baghdad and Syria.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-19-2008 at 17:45.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Looking slightly disturbed the Khwarezm ambassador addresses the council

We feel compelled to announce to all nations here and around the world that canabalism is not practiced by any true moslem.
    neither in fact is eating dogs, both are considered haram and we assure anyone that the ambassador from the Rum sultanates words were only in jest and hatred of the roman.

We Thank the Sultan of Rum for his kind offer, but a Madrassa is being built in the late shah's honour, peace be upon him, and no memorial in a city he has never even visited will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by askthepizzaguy
    The Sultan offers his condolances to the family of the mighty shah.

Rest assured, the Sultan is already planning a memorial for this man, to be constructed at the very heart of Istanbul, towering high enough for the royal family of the shah that they might see it even from where they stand.

gesturing obscenely towards the Romans

I still hear your gums flapping, but I hear no reasons behind your atrocities which will spare you from your inevitable death and destruction. I believe I warned you to direct your pretentious pleas towards the Caliph and this council. Perhaps if I should cut out your tongue, it might serve to silence you in this moment of solemn remembrance.

Indeed, I should send the Shah this dog's tongue, that his family might feast upon it's twisted meat.

The Turkish ambassador slowly withdraws his sword...

Quote Originally Posted by rossahh
    Prince Bohemund would love the company in Antioch.
    I would urge the council not to act too hastily towards Jerusalem, for unlike their Roman brothers, they have actually attempted a diplomatic solution to this struggle.

For now, I ask that none aggress towards Jerusalem until I have failed to resolve the matter with words. So far, talks seem hopeful, and Armenia may yet gain a new homeland.

Only when talks fail, and there is proof that this is not some giant misunderstanding, would I consider asking my brothers for aid in battle. For now, that's really quite premature. This council is dedicated to peace.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-19-2008 at 23:17.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

The Vizier rises, and with a solemn and pious expression declares:

In light of recent pronouncements by the Turkish Sultan, the Caliph would like to remind the faithful that the lending of money for interest is strictly prohibited in Islam.

This is especially the case when the money is loaned in the knowledge that it is to be used for some immoral purpose.

He would urge the faithful to let their consciences guide them in this matter.

EDIT: OOC: just to be clear, this was posted with my tongue firmly in my cheek. of course I have no authority to tell anybody what to do in or out of the game..
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 03-20-2008 at 00:11.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

IC-

I would humbly suggest that the Caliph indeed commands the loyalty of most, if not all of Islam, should he choose to activate it.

I wonder if anyone else agrees with me?

I declared war on the Caliphate to protest his "weak" leadership. I should have done it in style, though. One big long, angry rant... you know? Shouting to the heavens about this and that and how the Caliph is a position of power and respect and yadda yadda... citing numerous examples from history about great Caliphates past, and how the glory of Islam will not stand for such pacifism... and then culminating with a violent proclamation that I will seize the Caliphate for myself from his cold dead hands, his body swinging from a flagpole outside the Sultan's own palace, with lots and lots of angry smiley faces and violent smiley faces, and images of death, destruction, and carnage... and at the very end, I should have said:

"And if you believe that, I have a bridge in Anatolia to sell you."
    and put a big clown face next to it.

Dang... in my zeal to do the joke, I was too hasty in sending it. I consider this a great personal failure on my part. Rest assured, it will not happen again. From now on, the jokes I tell will split your sides open, as my swords are prepared to do to the Romans...

I mean uh... split your sides open as the gentle flower opens blossoms in the springtime... yes... peace be upon you...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just kidding, Lemongate!
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-20-2008 at 01:10.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast