Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Scissors/Paper tournament [Concluded]

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Scissors/Paper tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    It is always me huh?
    PM sent.
    Beefy ... prepare the loser soup.. *cough* What? you didn't choose paper?
    I forgot what I sent
    You'll just have to wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    I forgot what I sent
    Yeah... right.

Well, I can't trick you to spill the beef ... True, we'll just have to see.
    Status Emeritus

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

Just one more win...

Just one....
    You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

I can also replace. I've been wanting to participate in this tourney. Hopefully I shall be in the sequel.
    BLARGH!

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All orders received, writeup commencing.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Day 7 results

"Of course this *#%! happens right before the end"

It is the final day of the Round Robin phase. Those up front are hoping to solidify their positions, while those in the middle are trying to move up and those in the back are simply trying to stay out of last. The bettors want good returns on their money, while the crazed fans who have packed the stadium simply want a great day of matches. The contestants look poised to deliver, and the crowd erupts upon the emergence of the referee, who walks in, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand into the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

First-place atheotes, who has had an excellent tournament, is eager to wrap things up, however, he faces a dangerous opponent in Andres, whose use of randomness in the final days has served him well. In this case, it does so again, as his Paper defeats atheotes's Rock. Upon realizing that he has momentary possession of first place due to tiebreakers, Andres goes mad with joy, nearly drowning himself in a vat of Belgian beer. atheotes, meanwhile, can only kick himself in frustration. He was so close.
    Andres defeats atheotes

Beefy187, who has been charging up the leaderboard recently, is exhausted from all of his previous ties but still game against the most inconsistent player of the tournament, Sigurd. If the pattern holds, Sigurd will come away with a victory since it is an odd-numbered day. However, this is not the case as Beefy breaks two patterns: First, by beating Sigurd with Paper over Rock, and second, by doing so without the need for a tiebreaker round.
    Beefy187 defeats Sigurd

pevergreen, who has been in and out of first place for the entire tournament, is looking to take advantage of atheotes's mishap and claim the all-important #1 seed against Warmaster Horus, who has not had the best tournament. Patterns hold and pever throws Rock, defeating Horus's Scissors. By way of losing the tiebreaker to Death is Yonder, Horus is guaranteed the eighth spot in the knockout round, meaning the two of them will meet in a rematch in the opening day of the Knockout Round. pever, meanwhile, is too busy celebrating to take note of this fact.
    pevergreen defeats Warmaster Horus

In the final match of the Round Robin phase, Death is Yonder, whose #7 seed is already wrapped up, plays for pride against CountArach, who is looking for a high seeding. With all eyes on him, DiY delivers and throws Scissors. This defeats CA's paper, and DiY is greeted by a thundering ovation as his losing streak is finally ended.

The Round Robin phase is over, but not all spots are yet locked up, as a look at the final standings can determine:

Standings after Day 7 (regulation):
    #1: pevergreen: 5
    #?: Andres: 4.5
    #?: Beefy187: 4.5
    #4: atheotes: 4.5
    #5: CountArach: 3.5
    #6: Sigurd: 3
    #7: Death is Yonder: 2
    #8: Warmaster Horus: 1
    Because both Andres and Beefy defeated atheotes, atheotes is locked into fourth place and will play CountArach in the knockout round. However, in their Round Robin matchup, Andres and Beefy drew each other, leaving the second seed up for grabs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 7 (tiebreaker round)!

Matchup:
    Andres vs. Beefy187
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Well... I certainly hope my replacement's luck is waaaay different than mine. Good luck!
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IM SHO PRO!

Good games so far everyone.
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blog Entries

Good game Sigurd

Now hopefully, me breaking the patterns of ties was a good omen.

Blog Entries

Andres throws Rock. Beefy throws Scissors.

Final standings:
    #1: pevergreen: 5
    #2: Andres: 4.5
    #3: Beefy187: 4.5
    #4: atheotes: 4.5
    #5: CountArach: 3.5
    #6: Sigurd: 3
    #7: Death is Yonder: 2
    #8: Warmaster Horus: 1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Knockout Round has begun!!!

For the knockout round, your opponent will be determined by seeding. 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc. Participants will be re-seeded after each round - i.e. the #8 seed will always play the highest seed remaining, no matter what. There will be no draws. I will resolve 100 tiebreakers to get a match over with, if necessary. Win three games and you are officially the Rock/Paper/Scissors Champion of the Gameroom.

Good luck, everybody!

Round 1 matchups:
    1 pevergreen vs. 8 woad&fangs
    2 Andres vs. 7 Death is Yonder
    3 Beefy187 vs 6 Sigurd
    4 atheotes vs 5 CountArach

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

beefy will win this tourney.
    BLARGH!

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaster Horus View Post
    Well... I certainly hope my replacement's luck is waaaay different than mine. Good luck!
    I will do my best
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs View Post
    I will do my best
    The heroic Woad & Fangs up against his hated enemy, the pever of green. Will the brave knight slay the evil pever? Find out tonight at 9! (8 central)

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Alright... Let's do this Beefy. Ready to get knocked out?
    Status Emeritus

OMG, I WIN!

Come Andres, let us have our rematch

Andres goes mad with joy, nearly drowning himself in a vat of Belgian beer
    This time, death will be yonder

I expect some major upsets in this round

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    beefy will win this tourney.
    I never do well, when I got fans supporting me
    I'll try my best.

And no Sigurd. I rather keep playing and get to the top

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Ahhh well, I stuck with the top as long as I could.

Now for the come-from-behind victory!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

i Dropped from 1 to 4 last round... and the only 2 guys i lost to are tied in points with me and forcing me to play the only other guy i did not win against... should i or

i decide the latter

Blog Entries

First Round Results

"How are the mighty fallen in the midst of battle!
    O players, thee were slain of thy high seeds."
    2nd Samuel 1:25 (slightly altered)

It is the time of year everyone has been waiting for. After seven long, arduous days of placement, the seeds have finally been determined and the pressure-packed Knockout Round of the first annual Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament is underway. The stadium is almost bursting to capacity in anticipation of the matches that are to happen today.

There are two matches from the final day of the Round Robin phase: #3 Beefy187 takes on #6 Sigurd, who is looking for revenge after a disappointing Round Robin performance; and #1 pevergreen faces off against #8 woad&fangs. This second matchup is interesting because even though the two technically met yesterday, they didn't. woad, remember, is substituting for Warmaster Horus, who unexpectedly had to drop out after the final day of the phase. pevergreen, who has every right to be annoyed that he's facing a wildcard instead a cushy last-placer, is unfazed and confident; the mark of a true victor.

In the other two matches of the day, #2 Andres battles #7 Death is Yonder. Both contestants finished their Round Robin phase on a high note, so we will see which hot streak is, in fact, hotter. Finally, #4 atheotes, who dropped three spots on the final day, will duel #5 CountArach and try to claw back into the realm of the truly feared.

Eventually, all storylines will be resolved, as the referee walks into the stadium to resounding applause. He acknowledges the contestants, wishes them all luck, and then raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

#1 pevergreen vs. #8 woad&fangs
    Despite woad being a new player and an unknown to those present, pever is unfazed and focused, throwing Rock. woad, trying to get a measure of pever, throws Scissors and fails, marking a quick exit for the replacement player. pevergreen, starting to once again look like a juggernaut, moves on as it looks as if seeding patterns will hold here.
    pevergreen advances

#2 Andres vs. #7 Death is Yonder
    When last they met, Andres dispatched DiY without the help of the tiebreaker, throwing Scissors to DiY's paper. Today, the roles are reversed as DiY tries Scissors and watches with a grin as Andres throws Paper. Andres, looking down at what his opponent has thrown, almost collapses on the spot, realizing what has just happened. DiY, meanwhile, is nearly delirious with joy. He has now won two matches in a row, defeated the tournament's second seed, and is playing with house money as he advances to the semi-finals.
    Death is Yonder advances

#3 Beefy187 vs. #6 Sigurd
    Rumor has it that Sigurd spent the entire day yesterday after the match analyzing Beefy's every move in the tournament. Beefy, remember, got the best of him in Day 7 of the Round Robin without the need for a tie, and Sigurd is determined not to repeat this feat. He comes out throwing Scissors, as does Beefy, who simply grins. Another tie. However, this is where Sigurd's analysis pays off. Realizing that the most successful tiebreaking strategy is to throw the choice that defeats what both sides threw the previous round, Sigurd throws Rock. Beefy looks aghast as his thrown Scissors comes up beaten. After pever's early victory, another upset has been achieved as Sigurd moves on.
    Sigurd advances

#4 atheotes vs. #5 CountArach
    atheotes, who some believe has had the best tournament up until yesterday, slipped from first to fourth, meaning that neither party is very happy about the matchup. On one side, atheotes believes that he deserves a weaker opponent than the always-dangerous CountArach, while CA is a little frightened because he is playing someone who finished only half a point behind pevergreen in the standings. However, it becomes evident early on that the contestants are evenly-matched as both throw Scissors. In the tiebreaker though, the usual pattern holds and CA's Rock defeats atheotes's Scissors, completing the former first-place holder's rapid fall from grace and cementing the final upset of the day.
    CountArach advances

It has been a bloodbath of day for the higher seeds, with only pevergreen advancing. Now the heavy favorite to win this tournament, he must face the suddenly-hot Death is Yonder, who is looking for another high-seeded trophy to put on his wall. Meanwhile, two somewhat disappointing but still dangerous contestants during the Round Robin phase, Sigurd and CountArach, finally got their act together and upset their opponents. They will battle each other in what promises to be an exciting semis.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now the semi-finals!

Matchups:
    #1 pevergreen vs. #7 Death is Yonder
    #5 CountArach vs. #6 Sigurd

Blog Entries

its OOOON.

Bring it pever

Blog Entries

Rooting for DIY

Oh, how the mighty have fallen

Still, I'm thinking I'm gonna lose this round, maybe we'll go for a epic 3 ties first eh pever?

whoa... Only my stomache has had more upsets than this tournment!

Good game CA... now go on and win the tournament

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atheotes View Post
    Good game CA... now go on and win the tournament
    Thanks mate, you fought valiantly
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Well played pever . You hadn't thrown the same thing twice in a row this whole tournament and I was hoping you'd stick to that pattern and throw scissors/paper.

Sorry for the dissapointing showing, Warmaster Horus
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Blog Entries

Its all WIFOM. Whoever plays WIFOM the best, wins.

I'm nervous.

Massive WIFOM alert.

I wonder what pever will choose...

Blog Entries

All orders received, writeup commencing.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast