View Poll Results: Here are some random or proposed options, what sounds most fun to YOU?

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • Americas game as Spain

1 14.29%
  • Rusichi game as Hungary/the Magyar

1 14.29%
  • Rusichi game as other faction

0 0%
  • Stainless Steel game as Spain

1 14.29%
  • Stainless Steel game as the Eastern Roman Empire

0 0%
  • Stainless Steel game as Hungary

0 0%
  • Modded Stainless Steel game of the 100 Years War

0 0%
  • Stainless Steel game as other faction

4 57.14%
  • Britannia game as any faction

0 0%
  • other (please post specifics)

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RPG anyone?

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Re: RPG anyone?

Welcome to the Throne Room and to the Org!
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by House Stark View Post
    I'd be interested in playing this, if there are any spots still open. I'm new to this forum, but I've be playing Total War for years and I've played a couple of these types of game before.

I have a question regarding SS 6.4. It looks like I have to download 6.3 install it and then patch it with 6.4, is that correct? Is SS 6.4 compatible with other mods or do I need to uninstall Broken Crescent first?

As for a name, perhaps "Lords of the Danube"?
    Sure, there should still be some avatars available.

I like "Lords of the Danube, and it is especially fitting with the current territory Hungary controls.

As for SS, yes, you patch 6.3 to 6.4, and it is mod foldered so you shouldn't need to uninstall broken crescent.

And welcome!
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    Welcome to the Throne Room and to the Org!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Sure, there should still be some avatars available.

I like "Lords of the Danube", and it is especially fitting with the current territory Hungary controls.

As for SS, yes, you patch 6.3 to 6.4, and it is mod foldered so you shouldn't need to uninstall broken crescent.

And welcome!
    Excellent, I'll get SS 6.4 installed tonight or tomorrow and let you know which character I would like to play as.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Heh I was at the Danube not 10 days ago, watching her get smaller during the winter. We have players from the other side of the world, who've never seen the river, yet they are ready to RP in such a game. The internet has made the distances between locations, nations, cultures smaller than they have ever been!
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I would take the King. Please remove the trait that makes him a horrible cav leader. Also, not all settlements are owned. The King is in another town currently, I'd want to combine his army with the stack from Constantinople, he will have to hoof it I suppose?

FYI there's a mistake in SS. Sofia has never been a Muslim province, hence there is no "emir" of Sofia (I live in the city right now, so you can take my word). Cosnsidering that they took it from the ERE/Bulgarians, the ruler of the city being Hungarian however, would be probably a baron or whatever tittle corresponds to baron in Hungary.

I don't mind which character I take but I can express a preference if you need me to, just let me know

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Constantinople is technically owned by the King. Another noble could move into it and take control of it, but this would be treason against the King.
    As for the bad traits, I kind of like leaving them in as I personally find negative aspects to be great for roleplay, but if it is a huge issue, or if people generally want to do a little editing on the starting characters, that is fine by me.

Phonics, would you like to get a random assignment?
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Phonics, would you like to get a random assignment?
    Let's see what others want to do and maybe I'll make a pick when a couple other people are done picking

sounds good

I picked the King based on you allowing the removing of one trait we dislike. If it's not allowed, I'll change my choice. Also, you should just use the console to give him the ancillary that signifies the ownership of Constantinople. Same for anyone else who is to own a settlement but doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I picked the King based on you allowing the removing of one trait we dislike. If it's not allowed, I'll change my choice. Also, you should just use the console to give him the ancillary that signifies the ownership of Constantinople. Same for anyone else who is to own a settlement but doesn't.
    Okay, I had left that off just in case I changed my mind about him owning it, but he will have the trait when the game starts.

I'd like to play as Vata a Kacsics nembol, if that would be acceptable with everyone.

Im gonna have to drop out of this, due to my exams.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I'll take Demeter az Aba if he's available.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

sounds good zim and house stark, sorry to hear you can't play ezilkannan.

Well, if that is everyone that is interested.
    phonics, why don't you pick your avatar then we can get started. Also, those of you who have picked a character can choose 1 trait to remove if they wish. (and haven't already picked one)

I guess I'll take the Junior King then

sounds good, do you mind creating a subforum for the game in the RPG section phonics?
    I will post the save for the first turn tomorrow night and we can get started!

What are we calling it again? Kings of the Danube? I have to get the tech admins to create the sub-forum so it might not be up before you want to start, but we can move threads in there afterwards

Sorry, I see - Lords of the Danube
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 01-09-2012 at 11:48.

I'll wait for the subforum to create a new thread, but for the time being, rules are as they are in the first post of the thread, and here is the information for your characters.
    Myth, I couldn't give you control over Constantinople as you are full on ancillaries, but as you have yet to assert direct rule by entering the province I think it is okay that you lack the title.

Myth - King Pozsony
    Duke of Varad, and nominal ruler of Constantinople
    Titles: King
    Funds:4624
    Armies: the garrisons of Varad and Constantinople, the army led by Mikan a Bogatradvany nembol
    Vassal: Mikan a Bogatradvany nembol

Phonicsmonkey -Junior King Bokeny
    Junior King
    Titles: Duke of Zagreb
    funds:2586
    Armies: the garrison of Zagreb

House Stark - Vata a Kacsics nembol
    Emir of Targoviste
    Titles: Lord High Marshall
    Funds: 1515
    Armies: the garrison of Targoviste

Zim- Demeter az Aba nembol
    Duke of Kassa
    Titles: Master of the Horse
    Funds: 1947
    Armies: the garrison of Kassa

Other Characters

Bokony a Huntpaznan nembol
    Duke of Brasov
    Titles: Palatine

Andras a Zah nembol
    Duke of Sofia

Mikan a Bogatradvany nembol
    Vassal of the King

Currently existing Titles

The Palatine (in game, Lord High Chancellor)
    The principal manager of the King's properties (no game effect), and the judge of legal matters among the nobility.
    They are chosen by the King. Aside from being a high honor, this position allows the character to be the final decider in all IC legal matters. However, they would only have the right to impose penalties on the nobility with the explicit permission of the King.

Lord High Marshall
    The chief commander of Hungary's armies. They are chosen by the King. This man is responsible for co-ordination of all Hungarian military efforts, and, if supported by more than half the nobility, may legalize the capture of any territory.

Master of the Horse
    This man oversees the Kingdoms horse breeding and the appointment of cavalry officers. They are chosen by the Lord High Marshall. This title gives the character a slight chance of having any cavalry unit owned by an enemy turn over to him in the event of a civil war. This reflects the intimate relationships the Master of the Horse has with cavalry officers. (% chance of occurring for each unit = ((commands *s of character - command *s of unit owner) x 5). Other than this, this title has no in game effect.

Master of the Treasury (no in game representation)
    This man is responsible for ensuring that the economy of Hungary runs smoothly, and does not leave certain critical areas underfunded. They are chosen by the King. This title makes the character responsible for overseeing financial deals between characters and with other factions, and for proposing such dealings when deemed necessary for the good of the Realm. This title allows the character to propose and accept financial deals with other factions if supported by more than half the nobility.

Lord Privy Seal
    This man bears the private seal of the King, and is chosen by the King. This title is a great honor the King may bestow upon a character, and the title only exists when the King wishes it to. However, their is no direct benefit of having this title.

Laws of the Realm

I. The Noblemen are declared to be exempt from the payment of taxes, nor will money be collected from their treasures. Neither will their residences be occupied, nor their villages, and these may only be visited by those who have been invited. No taxes will be levied on the Church.

II. If any nobleman dies without a male heir, his daughter will receive a quarter of his funds (disappear from game); the remainder of his property shall pass into the hands of his closest living relative; if this is not possible, then the King shall inherit them.

III. If the King wishes to send his armies outside of the Kingdom the Noblemen will not be under obligation to go with him, if the monarch doesn't pay them. However if an invading army enters in the Kingdom, all of them must serve to expel it.

IV. The Hungarian Palatine may judge everyone in the Kingdom without any differentiation; but he cannot try any nobleman without the King's approval.

V. Hungarian properties cannot be given to foreigners.

VI. No title (offices, not dukedoms or the like) or public charge can be inherited.

VII. No character may hold more than a single title.

VIII. No settlement may be taken without the permission of the King.

IX. No war may be started without the permission of the King.

X. No financial deals with other factions may be made without the permission of the King.

XI No man may lay claim to a settlement unless it is given to him by the King.

Enemies
    The Cuman Khanate
    The Fatimid Caliphate
    The Golden Horde

Allies
    The Republic of Genoa
    The Kingdom of Denmark
    The Grand Duchy of Kiev

and here is the save for the first turn.
    As we are just starting, and so players can get their bearings, this first turn will have a maximum time limit of 72 hours from this post.

and please remember, do not end the turn, I will do that after all players have taken their moves.

I would request the honour of having the first IC post. Do I do that here?

Here, I will start an IC thread which we can move later.

Shouldn't starting funds be 1,000 + the income of any provinces we control?

Quote Originally Posted by House Stark View Post
    Shouldn't starting funds be 1,000 + the income of any provinces we control?
    yes, thank you for pointing that out. I forgot to include that.
    I will edit the first post to reflect this.

yes, thank you for pointing that out. I forgot to include that.
    I will edit the first post to reflect this.
    I thought the income from provinces would only be added to our treasuries after the end of the first turn.

So starting money is 1000 and the starting money for the next turn would be 1000 less first turn expenditure plus income from provinces

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    I thought the income from provinces would only be added to our treasuries after the end of the first turn.

So starting money is 1000 and the starting money for the next turn would be 1000 less first turn expenditure plus income from provinces
    That makes more sense. Does the King get his King's Purse?

I don't think that is exactly what I stipulated in the rules, but looking back I think it works out better the way you put it.

So yes, the financial report at the end of turn one should be

1000 - expenditure + income = total1

total1 would then replace 1000 during the turn 2 financial report, so

total1 - expenditure + income = total2

EDIT: and here it is back

Got the subforum up and running now so feel free to start a new OOC game thread (use the new prefix LotD) and I'll move it (and the IC thread) in there and also move posts from this thread (rules, character starting positions, saves) into the new one
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 01-11-2012 at 12:50.

Taking le save.

Questions:

1. can we hold off on moving our characters/armies until we hold the first meeting of the nobility? It is very important for us to decide our attitude towards Venice and the ERE.

2. Can I disband units freely?

3. If we attack a neutral faction, do you leave the AI to do it's decision making or do you take command of them to do what makes sense (like hitting an undefended city of ours etc.)?

"It was raining again, but rain was much more tolerable than snow. The King rode on his muscly, brown destrier, clad in plate and mail and with the royal coat of arms across his tabard. There was not much conversation going on between his loyal retinue and the nobility that followed him, in fact the drumming of raindrops across steel shoulder pads and vambraces was by far the most prolific sound to be heard. The horses bore the weather and their amroured riders stoically, only the occasional whinnying or snorting could be heard. The scenery was typically rural, with a muddy roadway leading trough sloped fields littered with patches of snow. Soon the cold rain would turn back to snow and the mud would freeze over, but the King was hoping to be besides a warm fireplace at that point.

King Pozsony was a handsome man, or so his wife would tell him, and even at the advanced age of thirty eight his robust stature and great health made him into a fierce warrior when needed. He towered over the other riders by at least half a head, and his armour gleamed with silver and gold etched along the edge of the collar. Deep inside, the King felt himself to be more of a scholar than a leader of soldiers, however he had been cunning enough to recognize Hungary's need for a strong military leader. Such were the times, that learned men scarcely became Kings, and if they happened to chance upon the crown, they soon had to learn the crafts of war or find themselves short of a head or a kingdom. Often both.

"What is Adelhaid doing right now?" he found himself thinking of his sister as Varad's walls appeared on the horizon. She was six years his elder and if not for her remarkable beauty she would have been sent to a nunnery long ago. She was at Bordeaux, on the other side of the world, speaking with the French on some minor matters the King himself had no time to discuss.

Maria, his wife, found less space in the King's thoughts. She had been instructed to go to Sofia, despite the province being occupied still by Orthodox Romans and Bulgarians. It was safer than the border cities and Constantinople had long been a den of vipers, deadlier than the plague itself. Before King Pozsony asserted his rule over the city it was as safe as keeping a rabid dog as a pet.

They passed by some serfs who were pushing an ox cart loaded with firewood, which had sank quite severely in the unpleasant mud, and thretened to tip over and spill the logs and sticks that filled it's entirety. The commoners cursed in some local mongrel tongue and their dirt covered faces and damp clothes made them seem wretched. The King signaled two of his knights to dismount and give them assistance. He would have to send them wine later tonight, least they curse him for a week. They failed to understand that it was the serfs who worked the land and toiled to provide food, cloth and taxes. Not a single sword could be forged without someone working for it's price and a smith to craft it. And knights were neither smiths nor working men, though their service was unquestionably vital to the survival of Hungary and indeed any kingdom. He would need every mounted warrior of able body and appropriate age, if he was to push back these mongrels that called themselves Romans.

The Golden Bull had just passed, barely at that, but such was the price of peace. The King had no desire to slaughter his kinsmen and vassals, nor did he wish to vanquish families who had lineages ranging back to the time of Árpád and his Magyars. Still, while they had been bickering and squabbling over rights and taxes, Hungary had grown weak. Had it not been much weaker and divided by constant civil war and treachery, the Eastern Roman Empire would have stomped his nation under a steel boot, much the same as they had done with the Bulgarians.

Now, Hungary stood with weakened defenses, a sorry lot of impoverished Barons, with a horde of greedy Venetians in the east waiting to strike and an elite force of Romans reportedly prowling around Constantinople. Peace was tenuous at best, and only a fool trusted his neighbors. If said neighbors were the Republic of Venice and the so-called Eastern Roman Empire, then suspicion became as mandatory as breathing.

The wild, unwashed Cumans to the North poached and poked around Hungary's borders, and they too had to be taught a lesson. So many problems and so little ways to solve them, bar the extinguishing of yet more Hungarian lives. Mika had been an eager lad and a decent general. The Kng's hopes largely lied with him, but now he had to prepare for the meeting with the other nobles. "First among equals" he reminded himself. He still held absolute power, but such an attitude would win them to his side. He needed someone on his side besides one twenty eight year old general.

The horses hooves clattered as the riders went trough the gate and onto the slightly crooked cobblestone path that was leading towards the inner keep and the meeting hall. The rain made the locals miserable and they regarded the mail clad and richly dressed Hungarian nobles with suspicion and fear behind locks of drenched hair. "They need hope and stability, a means to survive the winter, sow in spring, reap in summer and marry their children in the autumn. I give them taxes, sieges and levies. And my blue eyes, as that is all I have left."

The serfs would have to bear it, just as everyone else did. The King had suffered so much ill fate, after all. It was time to change Hungary's fate however, and the first step was securing the earnest allegiance of proud and powerful men, whom only recently had raised armies against him."
    Last edited by Myth; 01-12-2012 at 00:14.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast