Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

I thought it was worth it
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    if only for jamie's parts
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

What's with the hating on Feast for Crows? I didn't think it was extraordinarily different from the other books in style, tone or plot. Admittedly, the story now has so many active characters, you can feel like you're slogging through to find out what happened with the cliffhanger four hundred pages ago, but that's a function of the size of the story more than anything else.

My main beef was a severe lack of Tyrion, but he'll be all over the next book. In fact, here's a preview Tyrion chapter for your amusement.

Blog Entries

I think the problem is with Brienne and Circie's storylines, Brienne goes around the kingdom looking for arya or sansa stark and accomplishes nothing beyond causing Jamie to lose his sword hand and finding out Catelyn is now undead. Cercie, the big bad for about 3 books, is now portrayed as a paraniod shrew who is slowly digging her own grave, I dont have a problem with that, it makes sense to me but it would seem a little annoying that we traded Tyrion or John Snow's storyline for those two.

Edit: gah I forgot to spoiler it.
    Edit 2: Gah wrong button.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-27-2011 at 15:38.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    What's with the hating on Feast for Crows? I didn't think it was extraordinarily different from the other books in style, tone or plot. Admittedly, the story now has so many active characters, you can feel like you're slogging through to find out what happened with the cliffhanger four hundred pages ago, but that's a function of the size of the story more than anything else.

My main beef was a severe lack of Tyrion, but he'll be all over the next book. In fact, here's a preview Tyrion chapter for your amusement.
    So that was where Ser Clegane got his name from, the books!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I always found it interesting that instead of "Sir" he spells it "Ser" for a seemingly identical word.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

eh he probably likes how it fits into the setting better.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

My problems with AFFC may be largely due to me being a die-hard Stark supporter, but let me lay them out...

* Nobody cares about Dhorne, not even the Dhornishmen
    * I want all the Ironborn dead so them singing songs around the campfire at Wyke just makes me want to know more about the crannogmen fighting them - those are people I want to know more about
    * I'm bored of the Lannister twins
    * Not much actually happens at the Eyrie; the Vale wasn't doing anything before and it still isn't
    * Arya is great but she should be stabbin' fools, not messing around with hokey religions
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 05-28-2011 at 01:53.

its dorne. and i bet they play a greater role next book and the ironborn get stuck back in their islands. and the starks have a resurgence under the banne rof rickard or maybe even bran

EDot: oh shoot. Its not too revealing but I hope nobody read that. thank goodness i never sleep anymore.
    Last edited by Centurion1; 05-28-2011 at 09:37.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spoilers, man!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

Oh man... I knew it was coming but... I hoped maybe, just maybe, the director or the writer would screw up and do things differently and then... God I wish Eddard wasnt so bloody honorable.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And keep in mind that George R. R. Martin himself is writing the next episode (Episode 8). It's going to be delicious.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Oh man... I knew it was coming but... I hoped maybe, just maybe, the director or the writer would screw up and do things differently and then... God I wish Eddard wasnt so bloody honorable.
    We all saw it coming and it all depressed us.

The starks are definitely one of my most beloved fantasy houses of all time.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I hate you all... I am now addicted to Game of Thrones. After watching the first episode, I immediatly started the second, and then didn't stop for several hours. The insane mix of political drama with interesting characters and crazy storylines has me hooked. Some good television.

Have to agree though, the Starks are great. I'm only up to the sixth episode at the moment and have some slight suspicions as to where it is heading (Having never read the books, yet).

I have two suspicions as to future plot points - that the Stark boy is possessed somewhat? Obviously there's more to the wolves then they're letting on for now, but I'm lost as to how they tie in. Which leads me to my second suspicion, and that when the Wintermonster things, from beyond the Wall, killed the mother dire wolf they possessed the clear white dire wolf just like the small child at the start of the show? As when one of the Stark children picked up the lone wolf it had red eyes and was straight white... I love the way they haven't let on about the wolves yet, though.

Lord Snow is my favourite semi-Stark, though. I hope he goes far in the Watch and we get to see him rise in the order during the series. Any news on more seasons?

gosh darn i love these books i started reading again.

and btw guys is there any website i could see the shows like hulu on my computer id rent disks but it obviously isnt out.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you subscribe to HBO, you can watch it online.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

but for moniez per month!

Blog Entries

Oh for the love of... here, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warluster View Post
    Any news on more seasons?
    Season 2 was greenlighted after the first episode fact
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Just saw the current episode.
    My god, Cersci is such a .

The ending wasnt so surprising though. I mean, we all saw it coming.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 05-31-2011 at 00:27.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

And we wont see any retribution for at least 2 years :sigh:
    Still, we've got Barristan Selmy's lambasting of the kingsguard to look forward to next season.
    Oh and we'll probably end up seeing Syrio Forell get cut down next week, I'm kinda hoping they will keep it ambiguous on whether he survives or not like in the books, but It's probably best not to get my hopes up.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-31-2011 at 00:38.

Do people think that each season will be a book? Like season 1 will cover the first book, the 2nd season will cover the 2nd book, and so forth.

I think so, but I think its going to be iffy. Right now, at the end of episode 7, they are at around page 450-500-ish. I think. Im not up to there yet but I think thats where episode 7 ends.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Supposedly A Storm of Swords (Book 3) is going to be split into two seasons. This makes a lot of sense, as that book is really friggin' long (IIRC, right around the length of the entire Lord of the Rings set).
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

[EDIT: replying to Hooahguy; GH got in before me!]Yeah, at the end of episode 7, we are on page 510 out of 780. That's 65%, close enough to 7/10, so I reckon we will see one book each season. However, it will be quite an achievement if a TV series of this expensive kind can sustain enough seasons to see the story through. Other series with long story arcs have started to sputter around the third or fourth season (I am thinking of things like Lost, the Wire, the West Wing, Babylon 5). They may decide to accelerate towards the end if that happens. This is all assuming the writer finishes the story, but then again, having a TV series following him might be the best possible incentive for him to bring things to a conclusion.
    Last edited by econ21; 05-31-2011 at 01:10.

Blog Entries

God I hope not; if he's got a deadline that is more than a request from his publisher he might end up rushing it, I'd hate to see ths series end with a half finished book.

at this point............... you know how long we have been waiting for storm of swords...... its depressing. Im pretty sure it used to be called dances with dragons

Blog Entries

...Storm of swords is the third book. it's been out for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    at this point............... you know how long we have been waiting for storm of swords...... its depressing. Im pretty sure it used to be called dances with dragons
    Uh, the new book is called A Dance with Dragons.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

thats what i thought! damn another reason to reread it...... yes! and anyway you know what i meant.

plus i didnt realize storm of swords was that long. and he said dances with dragons was so long it may need two books

Blog Entries

It did, the first half is allready out; A feast for crows.

i meant on top of that..............

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast