Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The information war

Default Re: The information war

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    What's up?
    You use too many big words when smaller words make me learn better.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    You use too many big words when smaller words make me learn better.
    I don't even remember what words I used. Let's bring out the lede: bias is unlimited since the process of assessing bias is hopelessly biased. And it isn't even a case where you can be blind to your own bias while cognizant of another's bias - you'll be mostly blind both to your own biases and to those of others, fixating on whatever intimations are salient at any given moment.

There isn't even a point singling anyone out, it just becomes a harsh reminder.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Never mind about Corbyn though, media rightwing bias is overt at the moment. With all the u turns, election scandals, and so on, Theresa May is rather unscathed thanks to support from the media who are very hostile to all opposition Labour, Libdems, SNP, etc. UKIP is still featured a lot too.
    unscathed from who? the electorate, or the press?
    I assume you really mean the electorate, as expressed in the constant trend of opinion polls in the last year.

this presumes that it is substantially the press that leads opinion of the public, rather than the other way around.
    it is certainly true that both influence the other, but I could never support the opinion above as it makes representative democracy a pointless sham, and the conception of individual autonomy a bitter dream.
    in this view of the world we are nothing more than a bee colony, to be herded around by political 'pheromones' in pursuit of the queens greater plan.

i say this as an admirer of The Righteous Mind, in the understanding that much of what we perceive as Logic is no more than post-facto justification of subconscious intuition. i say this also as an admirer of 5th Gen Warfare, in the understanding that societal change can be effected by sophisticated psy-ops, and that elements of this have crept in to recent political campaigns.

perhaps i can accept this dualism because at a fundamental level i trust my subconscious intuition, as I trust my ability to take an interest in a subject sufficiently that my grasp of the essential problem is an effective framework for that intuition to work upon.

and I expect every other member of the electorate to act in the same way (leaving the choice of what they choose to take an interest in entirely up to them).
    the franchise is given to adults of legally sound mind, i expect them to use that acquired wisdom and render judgement on matters of import.

so, dialling this back to the topic at hand; yes, life is difficult when lies are told and dissimulation is endemic. deal with it.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    so, dialling this back to the topic at hand; yes, life is difficult when lies are told and dissimulation is endemic. deal with it.
    Deal with it by discussing the topic? Good idea!
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    So what is it, one similar headline per site? Why is something like this what you use to make a judgement of bias?
    Spur of moment amusement from a simple google search. As I said,it was amusing.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

I found this video of a deconstruction of the BBC Report on Labour's policy to provide free school meals by putting VAT on Private Schools.

"We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

I found this video of a deconstruction of the BBC Report on Labour's policy to provide free school meals by putting VAT on Private Schools.
    Google the author.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Google the author.
    Doesn't negate the terrible reporting.

Doesn't negate the terrible reporting.
    Someone who's made a career of peddling Jewish conspiracy theories now makes a video peddling MSM conspiracy theory. If you reckon he's a good spokesman for Corbyn, good for you.

Blog Entries

Someone who's made a career of peddling Jewish conspiracy theories now makes a video peddling MSM conspiracy theory. If you reckon he's a good spokesman for Corbyn, good for you.
    I like how you are not even talking or referring to the content of the broadcast or the policy being advocated. I think everyone here knows you dislike Corbyn so you can safely move away from saying how bad he is, without the constant reminder.

The policy was actually advocated by Nick Clegg in the coalition days. It is not unique for Corbyn and it is actually a rather decent one. The pilots have been very positive and shown significant improvements. It is also a current policy within the Scottish government.

Are you going to discuss it or continue to ignore it?

I like how you are not even talking or referring to the content of the broadcast or the policy being advocated. I think everyone here knows you dislike Corbyn so you can safely move away from saying how bad he is, without the constant reminder.

The policy was actually advocated by Nick Clegg in the coalition days. It is not unique for Corbyn and it is actually a rather decent one. The pilots have been very positive and shown significant improvements. It is also a current policy within the Scottish government.

Are you going to discuss it or continue to ignore it?
    If you're just going to post a video and pretend it's worthwhile discussion, why not link to the article which that video is part of? Note: The Canary, which the author is a regular columnist for, and which is known as the left wing version of Breitbart or whatever extreme right loonrag you care to name. And yeah, the author has been on RT as well.

Blog Entries

If you're just going to post a video and pretend it's worthwhile discussion, why not link to the article which that video is part of? Note: The Canary, which the author is a regular columnist for, and which is known as the left wing version of Breitbart or whatever extreme right loonrag you care to name. And yeah, the author has been on RT as well.
    Only saw the video myself, but you still not commented further on it. I don't particularly care about the person who put the video on YouTube or even about Corbyn himself. It doesn't still change the fact of the BBC reported as they did on the policy subject. It still doesn't change the fact you haven't commented on the BBC report or the policy itself.

Only saw the video myself, but you still not commented further on it. I don't particularly care about the person who put the video on YouTube or even about Corbyn himself. It doesn't still change the fact of the BBC reported as they did on the policy subject. It still doesn't change the fact you haven't commented on the BBC report or the policy itself.
    The video, and your post, is about the tone of the report. And whatever their failings, the BBC has far more credibility than the likes of The Canary and Russia Today whom the video's author pundits for. I'm not going to be lectured to by one of their shills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12