Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artificial Food

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Artificial Food

Natural - but artificial - as in lab-grown food. It's natural, made out of natural proteins, but made in a lab, so artificial.

The reason I'm bringing this up for debate is because we're slowly - ok not slowly, RAPIDLY - depleting some of our precious food stocks around the world. I personally like to eat tuna (canned), because it's packed with protein, good for your health and goes excellent in salads. But the tuna is unfortunately heading for an unwanted extinction from the world's oceans, due to serious overfishing, depletion of stocks and increasing demand worldwide. In other words, if this doesn't stop, then in a couple of years we'll have no more tuna, no more sushi and we just destroyed an entire species of fish that is a key link for the ecosystem.

For a while I've kept thinking about lab grown food, made out of natural materials - I saw a video of researchers making a lab grown meat burger. It tastes like meat, except it's not made of meat - well not the traditional way. It's made out of bovine stem cells.

So sustainable, no serious problems to the environment and no cruelty involved.

That sounds like a great idea - except that it might be years away until we see it because we don't know the effect of it for the moment. And plus we can't mass produce it yet, so there's still efficiency to sort out.

However, until this happens, we might run out of important sources of food such as different types of fish because we depleted the stocks and we didn't find proper alternatives.

Thoughts? Would you eat lab-grown food?

Last edited by edyzmedieval; 09-22-2016 at 22:15.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Artificial Food

Just keep in mind that the taste will be slightly different, as the harvested meat of raised animals is not pristine and homogeneous. On the other hand, regularity means almost no chance of bad meat.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Taste will be different, as this is expected, but we have to go on a way for sustainable food production without destroying the food/fish stocks and the environment around us to raise animals.

Case in point - Amazon deforestation for raising animals.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Obligatory:

Resolving the fishery stock depletion issue would be a better solution than vat-grown meat. We need to be able to properly utilize the uninhabitable 70% of the Earth's surface as the population grows.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Or we need to curb population growth, I'm sure the arms industry has some ideas...

On a more serious note, I don't think this is the worst idea, if we can then also figure out how to re-combine CO2 from the atmosphere into coal or oil without too much effort, we have solved all our problems.
    It's funny that you talk about overfishing and one of the arguments for the UK leaving the EU was that the fishing quotas of the EU were not large enough. So good luck with fixing that.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The idea of artificial meat is kinda ewwwww but it's something we can get used to. I don't think I can eat that but it's the future probably.

Artificial insect meat.
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Utilising the 70% of the unhabited part of the world would cause more environmental damage -> accelerating climate change and global damage.

Unless you find a way to reclaim a considerable part of the Sahara and turn it into a wonderful lush oasis. Then that will work out.

Proud

Been to:

Husar 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    The idea of artificial meat is kinda ewwwww but it's something we can get used to. I don't think I can eat that but it's the future probably.
    If you eat burgers or meatballs, then you already eat something that is akin to artificial meat.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    [B][SIZE=5]

The Director snapped his fingers, and a limousine pulled up. The Director held Erebus at gunpoint and drove off without the rest of his entourage, leaving his goons and even the committee members behind. "Salvatore's Ristorante, driver." The Director looked at Erebus, studying him carefully. "My cousin Sal runs a restaurant. Only the finest food in all Fatlington, and it is authentic Italian food. You'll love it." Erebus looked back, a little uneasy about what was going to happen. They pulled up to a luxurious restaurant, complete with valet parking and the red carpet laid out for them. It was grand, possibly the most exquisite looking restaurant that Erebus had ever seen. "A little further. This isn't the place I had in mind." said the Director. They continued down several streets, and took a couple of turns down some rather shady-looking alleys. Finally they pulled into a tiny parking lot behind a dilapidated building, where a flickering neon sign read 'Sal's Ris----nte'. It seemed that Sal's was still open for business. The parking lot had a few stripped down vehicles in it, and none of them were in working condition. The Director led Erebus inside, even holding the door open for him. Inside, the place was poorly-lit and filled with cigar smoke. The floor was sticky and hadn't been swept. A burly looking man at the bar didn't even say hello as they entered, merely nodding at the Director while wiping a filthy glass with a dish rag. The swinging doors to the kitchen opened, and an enormous man in a greasy, blood-stained white undershirt came out. "Oh, hold on... I'll get youse guys a couple of menus" said the man. "Please, have a seat anywheres" said Sal.

Erebus looked at Sal, then at the Director, and wondered how on earth Sal was related to Santino. They seemed nothing alike. The Director looked particularly out of place here, wearing only the finest, immaculate white suit and red tie, with a white fedora. There was no way the Director would be able to keep his suit clean in a dump like this. They sat down at a booth which had used napkins and a basket of half-eaten stale breadsticks on it. The seat cushions each had enough crumbs on them to fill a shot glass. The booth was very uncomfortable, as the seats were too high and the table was too low; getting in and out of the booth was a chore and a half.

"What will youse be having?" said Sal, as he plopped hand-written menus down on the table in front of the guests. There were only 3 items on the menu, pasta 'preemavarra', 'chikin' alfredo, and steak. Erebus thought about it, and decided to pick the one item on the menu which was spelled correctly, hoping that Sal knew how to cook something he was at least familiar with spelling. The Director ordered the pasta preemavarra, while staring at Erebus with a stone-faced expression. "Excellent uh, choices... I'll gets right on making it for you" said Sal, as he waddled back to the kitchen, coughing the entire way. "I don't believe in butchers, I likes to save money by cutting out the middle man" he said.

They sat in silence for what seemed like half an hour. Erebus could swear he heard a cow mooing off in the distance, but about ten minutes in, the mooing stopped. Soon enough, Sal came back covered in a fresh coat of blood, wiping the blood off of his arms and face with an even filthier dish rag than before. "It will be ready in about five minutes. You guys need anything?" "I could use a strong drink" said Erebus, as he looked back at the bar, and saw the bartender giving one of the shot glasses a spit shine. "On second thought, maybe I'll pass." The Director continued to stare at Erebus, keeping his gun trained on the man. Sure enough, five minutes later, Sal came out of the kitchen holding two plates. One had the pasta 'preemavarra' and the other had a steak on it. He set down the plates in front of the two guests, and waited.

"Go ahead, take a bite" said the Director. Erebus looked at his plate and saw that the steak looked rather lonely, there were no side items. "Doesn't the steak come with anything?" asked Erebus. "Oh yeah, I forgots!" said Sal, reaching into the front pocket of his apron and pulling out a fist full of french fries, dumping them onto Erebus' plate unceremoniously. "Dinner is served, buon appetito!" said Sal. The Director looked at him coldly, until Sal remembered something else. "Oh right, the mood. Here you go, Santino" said Sal, as he placed a candle on the table and lit it. It was a rather sad display, sort of like putting a brand new set of hubcaps on an old wreck of a car; pointless and absurd.

Erebus pushed the french fries to one side, not intending to eat them, and looked at the steak again. He wasn't sure he wanted to take a bite of it, so he delayed the whole process by cutting the steak into smaller and smaller bites. Eventually the Director got impatient, and raised the gun.
    "It's considered rude to not even take a bite of a meal someone serves you" warned the Director. "I don't particularly care for impoliteness at the dinner table. Civility, mister Erebus... now take a bite."

Erebus looked at the steak and it seemed to at least have been cooked and it did smell okay. That said, he still took the bite with much trepidation. The steak was surprisingly good. Very good, in fact... Erebus' face lit up as he took another bite, and another.

"Surprising isn't it, Mister Erebus? In this place, in this part of town, with this atmosphere, it's the one thing you'd never expect. It's the absolute best steak in town, and I should know. Ever since I became a... businessman, I've been eating nothing but steak. Never could afford it before. I stayed away from Sal's place because I knew it was like this on the inside, but I never dreamed that the man actually knew how to cook. And I never would have known, if I hadn't bothered to try something unfamiliar and dangerous." Erebus just tuned out the Director. He never did care much for monologuing. He just kept eating the steak, greedily, voraciously. It was worth listening to the Director drone on and on, just to have the flavor of this succulent meat filling his senses.

Erebus ate the steak too fast, and began to choke. The Director just kept talking, about fate and destiny and choice, and seemed to be either oblivious or apathetic to Erebus choking on the meat. Erebus reached instinctively for a glass of water or whatever drink was served with the meal. Then he remembered he had actually turned down the offered drink because the glasses were filthy. What he wouldn't give for a filthy glass of cheap liquor right about now. He turned blue in the face, and began to panic. He tried to stand up but the booth was bolted down and very cramped.

"Is something wrong with your steak, mister Erebus?" asked the Director, just as he was beginning to pass out from the lack of oxygen. "You shouldn't eat it so fast. Even when you find yourself with the good fortune to enjoy the best steak you've ever tasted, always take slow and careful bites. Patience is a virtue I can see you are not fully acquainted with."

Erebus tried to give himself the Heimlich maneuver against the table itself, but was having trouble. "Do you need me to help you, mister Erebus?" asked the Director. Erebus nodded quickly, hoping to dislodge the meat in time. "I would, but there's this matter of your insulting my honor that is holding me back. I should do a favor for you, an impolite man? Why should I? That would be rewarding uncouth behavior. Civility, mister Erebus... always civility. But I will offer you something else. You see, I'm not very hungry. Here, you can share my pasta."

The Director slid the plate of pasta forward, just as Erebus keeled over dead from choking. Erebus landed face-first in the oily noodles, arms sprawled forward.

"And you should keep your elbows off the table. I guess your mother didn't teach you any manners at all." said the Director, as he tucked his gun back into his coat pocket. He left a generous tip for his cousin Sal, and wiped his suit clean with the entire supply of napkins that was on the table. Somehow, the Director made it out of there without a spot on him. Now that was truly a miracle.

Relevant?
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Artificial insect meat.
    Eating more insects would be a great alternative, really healthy and they are very tasty. They grow really fast and hardly need food

Most frozen processed meat which so many people in so many parts of the world eat on a daily basis, is like mush anyway. Maybe in the US and Europe people get fresh sausages and salami everywhere but over here the frozen stuff I buy every week is half chicken and half 'binding agent'. Doesn't taste anywhere near as good as the chicken I get fresh from the local butcher, but hey, slather it with dressings and salad toppings and it makes a great sandwich.
    So if this artificial meat can actually be produced in a sustainable manner it might actually taste better than the usual processed meat and it might also solve the major issue vegetarians have with meat, that it's cruel to kill animals. And in India it'll put and end to a crap-ton of social issues that cause mini-riots and protests pretty much every single day.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    If you eat burgers or meatballs, then you already eat something that is akin to artificial meat.
    This.

Almost everything I ate in the USA back in 1992 tasted as if it was artificial. So Americans won't see any difference if artificial food will replace what they call natural food.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 09-23-2016 at 14:26.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Where did you eat all the time

Where did you eat all the time
    College cafeteria, sometimes was taken to dinner to college professors' homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

College cafeteria's are crap everywhere, must have been unlucky at the times you were invited for dinner. American beef is in general excellent, well marbled and fully blooded

Blog Entries

I wouldnt mind my diet being supplimented by grown meat like this and real meat becoming a luxury food, but I dont think I would ever want to give up real meat completely if only because I cant see grown meat having the same textures I enjoy. I saw an article on someone that was planning on developing "prawn fungi", and I can say lumps of prawn flavoured mushroom would never be a substitute for a good prawn.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

In time, the lab-grown meat, given that it's made from the same stem cells that we get our beef from, should have the same marbling and texture as the one that we are used to.

No more environmental damage, no more cruelty, and more efficient to make.

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

Well, no cruelty until we find out livestock doesnt evaporate upon replacement.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Well, no cruelty until we find out livestock doesnt evaporate upon replacement.
    Er, yes, that's why we don't leave it until after it's already over.

You don't begin a new property development without first removing the existing tenants, right? The bodies reduce structural integrity.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    In time, the lab-grown meat, given that it's made from the same stem cells that we get our beef from, should have the same marbling and texture as the one that we are used to.

No more environmental damage, no more cruelty, and more efficient to make.
    The cruelty isn't all that bad really, it's really fast, halal and kosher should be banned though it has no place here. But if they can make it work it's real progress. My first thought remains that you are eating a cancer, there is something perverse about it to me. Sweetspot would be making real meat a luxory-thingie if this takes of

Removing meat consumption worldwide will probably never happen, it will at most reduce. Which is why we're probably better off if we can work a way to get lab-grown food that's healthier and doesn't do damage environmentally and to animals.

But we're at least 10 years away from mass-producing lab grown food. At the very least.

Proud

Been to:

I think it's really clever but should we solve this problem really as maybe it solves itself. Antibiotica led to more resiliant viruses, we aren't the only ones who evolve. Maybe we should try to do a little less and not change too much, and accept that we are still very vulnerable and that it can look really bad.

it's a musing not an argument, the argument of why it's a good idea is obvious, but I'm weary, it might just weaken us
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-23-2016 at 18:31.

We do need to do some "disrupting" like in many other technologies. The current model is currently leading us to a serious "ravine" to put it like that - we can't sustain this pace any longer and we need to look at alternatives.

And fast. We already depleted our allocated resources for 2016 back in August, so we're "borrowing" from the future now.

Proud

Been to:

I don't think it is there is plenty in the sea it just takes some time. Never underestimate how smart people can be, deutorium is an isotope that has all the qualities of other energy-sources, it just doesn't really work yet but the ocean is full of it. My take, grow some grain and hand out condoms untill it does, overpopulation is the problem, you don't need six to ten kids to herd ten goats
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-23-2016 at 18:49.

Antibiotica led to more resiliant viruses
    *bacteria

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    College cafeteria, sometimes was taken to dinner to college professors' homes.
    As noted by Frags, judging the general quality of food by cafeterias is limited. As to professor's homes, one of the downsides of American culture is that darn few of our professionals are ever taught to cook food properly unless they do so as a hobby.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Recent reports indicate that for some tuna species - partcularly the bluefin - we're down to around 3% of the historic stocks.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...-risk-collapse

Tuna is a very valuable fish, both for the ecosystem and for us as humans. And simply farming tuna in fisheries doesn't really work, plus tuna doesn't have the same taste - farmed fishing doesn't have the same taste to ocean fishing.

The problem with the apparent overpopulation is relatively simple for the moment - we can't manage it and we won't do it in the nearby future. Instead of trying to slow down the rate of population growth, I'd rather focus on how to efficiently manage food stocks without posing a catastrophic event for the environment, keeping fishermen happy and keeping the industry rolling until lab-grown tuna steak can be rolled out and the fish can be left alone to their oceans.

Proud

Been to:

Lots of tuna is already grown in 'fishfarms', don't worry about eating it, check what's on the can. Wild tuna tastes better and is considerably more expensive. So just keep putting that stuff on a roasted bread with some mayonaise, delicious

edit, oh you said that I posted too fast, apoligies
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-23-2016 at 23:27.

This is the point that I'm trying to make across - fish farms offer a choice, but they will never substitute ocean fish. And consumers know that. But at the rate we're fishing the tunas (and not only - there's other species at risk) out of the ocean, we're literally going to run out in perhaps a decade. Hence why we need alternatives.

I am curious however about plant-based substitutes, whether they work in creating different "dishes". Not being a vegetarian, that's just eating plants - I'm referring specifically to protein and other nutrient extraction from plants and turning it into different types of food.

Lab-grown veggie food. Something like that.

Proud

Been to:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast