Thread: Ikko-Ikki Clan Pack - Org Review

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Ikko-Ikki Clan Pack - Org Review

Last thursday saw the release of the first ever Shogun 2 DLC, the Ikko-Ikki clan pack. One of the first things I typically ask myself upon seeing a new release for a game I enjoy is, of course, is that DLC worth the asking price? At a modest $5 USD, CA would have to fumble the ball pretty hard to not give you your money's worth, but stranger things have happened. Like the invention of cheese for instance!

But enough about tales of culinary discovery, lets take a look at Shogun's first DLC pack. I spent a couple days running through a campaign with the Ikko for the purposes of testing and general experimentation. Here's my thoughts, I hope they are of use to some of you.

The Ikko-Ikki Clan Pack

What you'll get:

The Ikko Ikki “warrior monk” Clan:
    • A new clan for use in single or multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles
    • 8 new unit-variants specific to the Ikko Ikki clan
    • New skill trees
    • New Ikko Ikki Monk Agent with his own specific skill tree

The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack also includes:

• The Warrior Nun unit – can be trained by any clan except the Ikko Ikki
    • New Naginata Warrior Monk hero
    • New Historical Battle: Nagashima (Ikko Ikki VS Oda)
    • Ikko Ikki armour set for Avatar - includes hood, robes and barefoot leg-pieces.
    • New Retainers for use in the Avatar Conquest mode

How it plays:

The changes to the campaign are not sweeping nor are they something you will be kicking yourself if you decided to pass on, what the pack does offer however is a dash of spice to an already interesting single-player experience.

The Ikko religion now behaves much more like the other religions. It spreads thanks to the use of agents, religious buildings and even devout generals. You can look forward to combating the spread of Ikko if you play the Uesugi particularly, as the Ikko start off with a temple near one of the minors the Uesugi are tasked with knocking out in the early game.

When playing as the new Ikko faction conquest is much slower than you may be used to in eastern Honshu, but is not as bad as if you were playing a Christian daimyo. Thanks to the Ikko's unique skill tree for generals, its possible to get boosts to the conversion rate of your provinces that they are in. Your conquering pace won't be brisk, but it won't be slow either.

The faction itself is what you'd expect, a warrior monk faction who's primary strength is the morale of their units.

Two afternoons of playing around with the faction has led me to the conclusion that they are, without a doubt, one of the more interesting factions in the game. While most other factions revolve around a certain style of warfare (Takeda cavalry, Chokosabe bowmen, ect) the Ikko are more about exploiting their powerful morale. The new general skill tree, unique to the Ikko, hammers this point home incredibly well, increasing the power of your rally and inspire abilities by as much as 30%. Now that's a hefty bonus!

Other notable features of the Ikko are their unique ashigaru units, who while having penalties to attack and defense, get bonuses to their overall morale and unit size. I think of them like Austrian Line Infantry from ETW, who had a very similiar handicap. If you play to the obvious strengths of your faction, building your generals to provide huge boosts to your morale and add monks to most of your standing armies? You'll watch as Ashigaru commit acts you never expected a samurai to do in their place.

Difficulty Playing as the Ikko

Even though I played on Hard campaign difficulty, I never experienced much of a "dog-pile" that I expected. The religious differences penalty does not go so far as to have people declaring war from the first turn, which is a good thing. However, it is more than enough to keep people at "indifferent" or "unfriendly" for a majority of the time you're in contact. What results is a very tense (if not exactly difficult) game where you're never sure who to trust.

Overall I'd rate them Medium in difficulty. Even though no one is their religion and no one particularly trusts you enough for an alliance, you've got the tools and the ability to expand quickly to make your home secure enough to take on all commers. A great faction for your second play-through once you've learned the ropes.

Conclusions:

All in all the campaign boasts gameplay largely the same as vanilla, just with a different feel to it than if you were playing with one of the other clans. Perhaps thats my personal bias talking, but I'm big on the immersion and flavor factor when it comes to Shogun 2, and the Ikko are without question the most "flavorful" of them all.

The Ikko-Ikki are an interesting DLC experiment from CA. So far they are without a doubt my favorite campaign experience, but are they worth your time and money to download? It depends on the question honestly.
    Are they a must have addition to the game, one you're cheating yourself of experiencing by not buying them? No, of course not.

But: Are they a fun, fulfilling addition to an already (imho) great game? Absolutely. If you're looking to add a dash of spice to your S2 experience, then you really shouldn't miss out on this clan pack.

The Ikko-Ikki DLC is available on Steam, for $5 USD. Once purchased it will download and unlock automatically.

Be on the lookout for: For the Ikko! A campaign AAR based on my gameplay experiences with this brand new faction, coming soon to the TreasAARy and Tea House here at the Org.
    Last edited by Monk; 05-30-2011 at 19:10.

Member thankful for this post:

Andres 

Default Re: Ikko-Ikki Clan Pack - Org Review

Be on the lookout for: For the Ikko! A campaign AAR based on my gameplay experiences with this brand new faction, coming soon to the TreasAARy and Tea House here at the Org.
    Nice! I really like your first S2 AAR, I will look forward to this!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

A fair and well balanced review. Thank you Monk.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Populus Romanus View Post
    Nice! I really like your first S2 AAR, I will look forward to this!
    Me too

Interesting review Monk
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Thanks for the write up Monk.

I also got the Ikko Pack.

From what I can see right off the bat their strength is certainly their religion. in my opening moves I moved ther starting monk into a nearby province and sparking a bit of unrest was awesome.

Judging from posts about the faction, Ikko revolts will "join" the Ikko faction after they capture the province, that can be devastating!

Frequently I have seen the AI guard its cities with minimal garrison instead stuffing all its troops into army stacks, I can already see the Ikko monk and ninja double team being insanely overpowered.

With the Ninja sabotaging an army stack outside a castle and the monk spawning a rebellion in the province there is every chance the rebels might capture the province for you and "bang" free units!

With their starting provinces already including accuracy AND Blacksmithing they do have the capability to field a very good army, with their main disadvantages being the lack of Metsuke counter-spying and tax raising, and their starting position also putting them at risk of a multi front war against lots of rivals.

My guess is that is how they are to be done, sparking revolutions and generally being revolting, a nice flavour.
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Are there warrior Nuns?

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Emperor View Post
    Thanks for the write up Monk.

I also got the Ikko Pack.

From what I can see right off the bat their strength is certainly their religion. in my opening moves I moved ther starting monk into a nearby province and sparking a bit of unrest was awesome.

Judging from posts about the faction, Ikko revolts will "join" the Ikko faction after they capture the province, that can be devastating!

Frequently I have seen the AI guard its cities with minimal garrison instead stuffing all its troops into army stacks, I can already see the Ikko monk and ninja double team being insanely overpowered.

With the Ninja sabotaging an army stack outside a castle and the monk spawning a rebellion in the province there is every chance the rebels might capture the province for you and "bang" free units!

With their starting provinces already including accuracy AND Blacksmithing they do have the capability to field a very good army, with their main disadvantages being the lack of Metsuke counter-spying and tax raising, and their starting position also putting them at risk of a multi front war against lots of rivals.

My guess is that is how they are to be done, sparking revolutions and generally being revolting, a nice flavour.
    I noticed this on my second play through. I had suspicions that causing revolts and unrest would be a good way to get some extra land, but after some Monk shenanigans I got my first successful attempt and flipped a province. Very fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shogunate
    Are there warrior Nuns?
    Yes, i mentioned that in the overview section. Every faction (aside from the Ikko) gets a new unit called warrior nuns. I haven't played with them yet as I've been too busy with Ikko experiments, and now an AAR.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-01-2011 at 04:24.