Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament III

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament III

Quote Originally Posted by atheotes View Post
    CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just a typo; I sent in paper. Sorry to disappoint .

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post

How's it going Lazy?
    [/GLOAT]

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, it's paper, thanks for the catch. I do this about five times per tournament.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can't wait for my Day 7 match..

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quick heads-up, I'll be off the grid for a day or so starting in about 18 hours. Naturally, I'd like to have the next day of action written up by then, so if the two people I'm waiting on could send them in to me ASAP, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 05-30-2012 at 05:17.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Blog Entries

All orders are in (thanks guys!) but I'm going to bed now. We'll have a new round before I go AFK, though.

Blog Entries

Day 4 results

With the close of this day, the early part of the round robin will officially be over. Enough separation will have been established between the contestants to create actual tiers, the oddsmakers will finally be able to make their predictions with confidence, and most importantly, fans will be ready to circle the important and truly anticipated matches on their calendar. Whether or not this facade of order will actually hold up on contact, though, is another question. Many noted Rock/Paper/Scissors analysts will point to Sun Tzu's quote about no plan surviving contact with the enemy.

The audience is buzzing with anticipation as usual, but quiets down as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock, paper, scissors... shoot!"

The first match of the day is between the two 0-fers still remaining in the tournament: Montmorency and issaikhaan. Both of them are eager to finally get the monkey off their backs, and there won't be an easier opportunity in the tournament to do so. For the person that loses, however, the pressure's really on. The oddsmakers, naturally, are predicting a draw. With the first throw it looks to be the case, as Rock has come up for both. However, upon the second throw, one of them has finally broke the losing streak. It is Montmorency, who has thrown Paper to khaan's Rock.
    Montmorency defeats issaikhaan

Up next is classical_hero against edse, both of whom are looking to establish themselves as members of the upper tier. Even though classical has the overall points advantage, the two have the exact same record against common opponents so far - a win against BSmith and a loss against Sigurd. Initially it looks to be a draw as both have thrown Paper. However, upon the rethrow, classical has won out with Rock over edse's Scissors. classical has quietly put together a good tournament so far, his one blemish being a loss to Sigurd.

The third match is unbeaten The King against atheotes, who has experienced a bit of a slide in this tournament, having gone win-draw-loss in his past three days. This is not a good place to try to end that slide, and unfortunately for atheotes his fears hold. His throw of Paper has come up short against The King's Scissors. The crowd bursts into cheers as The King is the first person ever to go 4-0-0 in his first four matches of a tournament.
    The King defeats atheotes

Looking to join The King in this regard is Sigurd, who is facing the uneven LazyMcCrow. Lazy, desperately trying to stop a juggernaut so that he can get back to where his rival Visorslash is in the standings, decides to go with the classic solid, reliable choice: Rock. However, Sigurd quickly demonstrates why he is now 4-0-0 and the odds-on favorite to win the tournament by responding with Paper. There is a huge buzz after this as the Day 7 matchup between Sigurd and The King is already shaping up to be the most-anticipated round robin matchup of all time.
    Sigurd defeats LazyMcCrow

Ishmael and Visorslash are next. While Sigurd and The King are standing alone in the top tier of players, both of these men, with two points each, are looking to join classical_hero as the people in the tier right below that. Throughout this tournament so far, Paper over Rock has been far and away the most common result of the tournament, and once again this pattern continues, as Visorslash's Paper has trumped Ishmael's Rock. The King may be looking forward to a matchup against Sigurd on Day 7, but first he has to get through a difficult opponent in Visorslash tomorrow.
    Visorslash defeats Ishmael

The last match of the day is between BSmith and Zaccino. BSmith, having finally dug himself out of the hole yesterday, is looking to make up some more ground, this time at the expense of Zaccino. Zaccino, for his part, is trying to once again break away from his scoring clone atheotes, whose results he has perfectly replicated every single day of the tournament so far. At first it looks like Zaccino may have a chance, as both throw Rock, but in the end BSmith gets his wish as he adjusts and throws Paper while Zaccino sticks with Rock. Once again, Zaccino and atheotes have achieved the same result.
    BSmith defeats Zaccino

Standings through Day 4:

Sigurd: 4
    The King: 4
    classical_hero: 3
    Visorslash: 3
    Ishmael: 2
    BSmith: 2
    Zaccino: 1.5
    atheotes: 1.5
    edse: 1
    Montmorency: 1
    LazyMcCrow: 1
    issaikhaan: 0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 5!

Day 5 matchups:

issaikhaan vs. edse
    Montmorency vs. atheotes
    classical_hero vs. LazyMcCrow
    The King vs. Visorslash
    Sigurd vs. Zaccino
    Ishmael vs. BSmith

Angry Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament III

CURSE YOU ATHEOTES!!!!

DAMN YOU SIGURD!!!!!

Damn Queenslanders...(goes away and sulks until June 13).

Maroons: 1, Blues: 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaccino View Post
    CURSE YOU ATHEOTES!!!!
    huh?

huh?
    1) He means BSmith
    2) You should've beaten the King

Blog Entries

So off the grid didn't exactly happen as initially planned. WE ARE BACK ON SCHEDULE.

huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    1) He means BSmith
    2) You should've beaten the King
    Have either of you been reading the updates? I'm cursing him for being my clone.

huh?
    After his "explanation" I am still confused.

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    After his "explanation" I am still confused.
    Don't patronize me because you can't wrap your head around such a simple concept. As noted in the writeups, atheotes and I have had the exact same result every day.

Blog Entries

Waiting on @Sigurd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Waiting on @Sigurd.
    Why wait? I guess he just forfeited..

Blog Entries

Day 5 results

As the tournament goes on, more and more storylines are established. These storylines naturally overlap and weave with each other, and when combined, paint a wonderful picture of the overall tournament. It is one of the reasons why Rock/Paper/Scissors is such a popular worldwide brand. This year, however, there is one storyline that is absolutely dominating the others, and rightfully so: Can Sigurd and The King keep up their undefeated streaks, and if so, what will happen on their Day 7 clash of the titans? Behind the two of them, of course, are ten contestants jockeying with each other, trying to maintain pace, and even pick up some positioning should one of the two leaders falter. And of course, there is khaan who is rolling off a just-as-impressive streak of not even having registered a point in the tournament so far.

All the talk of storylines stop, however, when it comes time to actually throw. As such, the voracious audience quiets down as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first match of the day is between winless issaikhaan against edse. After having given Montmorency his first points yesterday, khaan is facing another relatively easy opponent today in edse, who has not had the best tournament so far. edse, naturally, is treating this match as an opportunity to launch himself back into the middle of the pack, not particularly caring for khaan's storyline. Through one throw, the two are evenly matched, both coming up Rock. However, in the tiebreaker, edse gets his wish by throwing Paper, which covers khaan's Rock.
    edse defeats issaikhaan

Up next is Montmorency against atheotes. It seems like a long time ago that atheotes was a mere half-point behind Sigurd and The King, but dropping two straight matches has put him (and Zaccino as well, by way of their strange connection) on the wrong side of the pack. Montmorency, who logged his first win yesterday against khaan, would now like to do so again against a credible opponent. In the end, it seems that atheotes's hard-luck streak has continued, as his Paper has come up short against Monty's Scissors.
    Montmorency defeats atheotes

classical_hero is finally starting to get some recognition for his tournament so far, having reeled off three victories in the first four days, with the only blemish coming against Sigurd. His opponent, meanwhile, LazyMcCrow, has had the opposite record, his only victory coming against rival Visorslash on Day 2. The oddsmakers, after a few days of uncertainty, are confident that they've got this one figured out, and classical is the easy favorite. However, the uncertainty of the tournament strikes again as both men initially throw Scissors. The two of them stare at each other for a long while, neither one of them looking like they'll give an inch. This turns out to be exactly the case, as they both stick with Scissors on the rethrow. They both walk away expressionless after the uneasy draw, waiting to see how their immediate competitors fare before passing judgment on their own matches.
    classical_hero and LazyMcCrow draw

The most anticipated match of the day is between undefeated The King and 3-1 Visorslash, who will almost certainly provide for The King's stiffest test yet. If Visorslash can pull off the upset, he will all of a sudden launch himself into the top two, perhaps even in a tie for first should Sigurd falter. However, it is not to be. The King quickly proves why he hasn't fallen in this tournament yet by throwing Scissors, trumping Visor's Paper. The King pumps his fist in victory and goes over to watch Sigurd's match. Day 7 is drawing closer.
    The King defeats Visorslash

Sigurd's opponent today is the increasingly uneasy Zaccino, who is already starting to sweat. This is not the best of circumstances for Zaccino. First of all, his scoring clone atheotes has already fallen earlier today, and the two of them have always gotten the exact same result. Compound this by the fact that he is playing undefeated Sigurd, and Zaccino's not even sure his mother would like his chances for the day. This self-defeating attitude did not really help out matters as Zaccino, throwing Rock, is quickly dispatched by Sigurd's Paper. Zaccino's one consolation is that his clone atheotes will be playing issaikhaan tomorrow.
    Sigurd defeats Zaccino

The final match of the day is between the two people with a 50% success rate in the tournament so far: Ishmael and BSmith. Thanks to Visorslash's loss, a win today for either contestant would mean that they would possess a share of 4th place, an important position due to the first four seeds receiving a first-round bye in the knockout round of the tournament. The oddsmakers are favoring BSmith ever so slightly as a result of his two-game winning streak, but today he comes crashing back to earth. After both men initially throw Scissors, Ishmael correctly predicts his opponent's next move and moves over to Paper, which covers BSmith's Rock.
    Ishmael defeats BSmith

Standings through Day 5:

Sigurd: 5
    The King: 5
    classical_hero: 3.5
    Visorslash: 3
    Ishmael: 3
    BSmith: 2
    edse: 2
    Montmorency: 2
    Zaccino: 1.5
    atheotes: 1.5
    LazyMcCrow: 1.5
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 6!

Day 6 matchups:

atheotes vs. issaikhaan
    edse vs. LazyMcCrow
    Montmorency vs. Visorslash
    classical_hero vs. Zaccino
    The King vs. BSmith
    Sigurd vs. Ishmael

Blog Entries

Waiting on four people. I guess because it's the weekend...?

Blog Entries

This suspense is killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    There are no draws in the knockout round, obviously.
    If atheotes and I meet in the knockout round, this rule might need to be changed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    This suspense is killing me!
    We're just waiting on @Sigurd.

Blog Entries

All orders received, I'll try to get the writeup done within the hour.

We've got some interesting results today.

Blog Entries

Day 6 results

With one day to go until the most highly-anticipated round robin match of all time, the question on everybody's minds is: Can Sigurd and The King both continue their undefeated streaks? So far, both men are a perfect 5-0-0 in the tournament, a record. For comparison, nobody has ever started out a tournament winning more than two games in a row before. Sigurd and The King's competitors today, Ishmael and BSmith respectively, are trying to become something more than footnotes at this stage in the tournament. The rest of the field is desperately hoping for some sort of means to catch up to the two leaders as well as a way to put distance between themselves and the rest of the pack. Finally, it seems like issaikhaan has attracted something of a cult following as he continues to put up his equally impressive pace of not logging a single point in the tournament.

With all of these storylines ready to continue, the audience's buzz starts to mute as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first match of the day, seen mostly as a "get it out of the way" type of deal among fans, is between atheotes and issaikhaan. Perhaps the only two people who are interested in its outcome are atheotes himself and Zaccino, who so far in the tournament has been inexplicably bound to whatever result atheotes gets. Looking to right a three-game losing streak, atheotes banks on khaan's continued predictably, throwing Paper. Before even seeing what khaan throw, he hears Zaccino's triumphant whoop. khaan has once again stuck with Rock.
    atheotes defeats issaikhaan

Up next is edse and LazyMcCrow, both of whom are looking to make up some ground on the leaders. Both of them had good results yesterday with edse winning his match and Lazy picking up a draw against the strong classical_hero, so naturally both of them are looking to build on this. Initially, both men throw Paper, and wryly grin. They're going to have to better than that if they want to make up ground. However, they will have no luck: they both throw Rock on the tiebreaker. Lazy chuckles with particular mirth; this is his second draw in a row.
    edse and LazyMcCrow draw

The third match of the day is a well-regarded tilt between Montmorency and Visorslash. Monty is on a bit of a hot streak, having won his previous two matches after dropping the first three, and Visorslash is in good contention to pick up one of the four first-round byes in the knockout round. Additionally, he already has one of his two matches against Sigurd and The King out of the way, but Monty is unfazed. Ignoring all of the talks of higher seeding, Monty concentrates and throws Scissors, but grimaces when he sees Visor's Rock. Back to the drawing board.
    Visorslash defeats Montmorency

classical_hero notes that his opponent, Zaccino, is displaying some signs of irrational confidence before their match today. He fathoms this is because his scoring clone atheotes has already triumphed today, but surely that can't mean anything. All it is is freakish coincidence, which will not hold up against superior gameplay. classical_hero, after all, is sitting in third place behind only The King and Sigurd, and Zaccino is near the bottom of the standings. Today he will prove that skill triumphs over luck and coincidence once and for all. He does so by throwing mighty Rock... and then sees Zaccino's Paper. Well then, so much for skill. As classical walks off, mumbling to himself about skill, Zaccino has a look of disbelief on his face - once again he and atheotes have gotten the same result.
    Zaccino defeats classical_hero

A hush falls over the crowd as the last two matches of the day, featuring the undefeated contestants, begin. The first is between The King and the right-in-the-middle-of-the-pack BSmith. BSmith looks like he's doing his best to block everything out and concentrate solely on delivering The King his first loss, but it is anyone's guess as to how well he's succeeding at this. At any rate, he does well for himself on the first throw, matching The King's Paper equally. BSmith sighs with relief - there's no shame in losing to The King on a second throw. However, the crowd gasps in shock; both men have followed up their Paper with Rock. The King smirks and shakes BSmith's hand, shaking his head. He's still undefeated, but going into the match tomorrow with Sigurd a minor crack in his armor has appeared.
    The King and BSmith draw

The last match of the day is between Sigurd and Ishmael. At long last, Sigurd has an opportunity to gain sole possession of the #1 seed. If he can fend off Ishmael today and then defeat The King tomorrow, Sigurd will almost certainly have the #1 seed locked up and will be basically assured of a first-round bye. Ishmael, though, has other ideas. Emboldened by BSmith's effort, he comes storming out of the gate and matches Sigurd's Paper. Sigurd, displaying no emotion on his face, tries to stare his opponent down, but Ishmael is having none of it. Once again, he matches Sigurd's throw, this time Rock. The crowd goes nuts, both for Ishmael's performance and for the fact that Sigurd and The King are still evenly-matched going into their showdown tomorrow.
    Sigurd and Ishmael draw

Standings through Day 6:

Sigurd: 5.5
    The King: 5.5
    Visorslash: 4
    classical_hero: 3.5
    Ishmael: 3.5
    BSmith: 2.5
    Zaccino: 2.5
    atheotes: 2.5
    edse: 2.5
    Montmorency: 2
    LazyMcCrow: 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 7!

Day 7 matchups:

issaikhaan vs. LazyMcCrow
    atheotes vs. Visorslash
    edse vs. Zaccino
    Montmorency vs. BSmith
    classical_hero vs. Ishmael
    The King vs. Sigurd

Hah! Interesting results indeed.

classical_hero notes that his opponent, Zaccino, is displaying some signs of irrational confidence before their match today. He fathoms this is because his scoring clone atheotes has already triumphed today, but surely that can't mean anything. All it is is freakish coincidence, which will not hold up against superior gameplay. classical_hero, after all, is sitting in third place behind only The King and Sigurd, and Zaccino is near the bottom of the standings. Today he will prove that skill triumphs over luck and coincidence once and for all. He does so by throwing mighty Rock... and then sees Zaccino's Paper. Well then, so much for skill. As classical walks off, mumbling to himself about skill, Zaccino has a look of disbelief on his face - once again he and atheotes have gotten the same result.
    Zaccino defeats classical_hero

This is hilarious. You should host these more often.

Blog Entries

Interesting indeed!

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am the greatest.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast