Page 82 of 114 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 3400

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Default Re: Movie Review Thread

Wasn't the final battle lost by the Colonist forces in reality or something like that, I'm nearly sure I read that somewhere at the time.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    The Patriot, of course!

Never has there been a more anti-Brit movie. When they aren't bumbling idiots, they're sadistic madmen. It's glorious in a 'screw history, Amerrika: **** yeah!' kind of way. Amazingly, they cut a lot of the worst out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQj...eature=related
    Braveheart isn't much better but it doesn't have the rep that The Patriot does for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Braveheart isn't much better but it doesn't have the rep that The Patriot does for some reason.
    Probably because we have actual firsthand verifiable accounts of multiple eyewitnesses for the Patriot unlike Braveheart which would only have a few not counting oral history of course.

Plus the whole "Yess masser I be happy in dem fields" was a bit much to be honest, I dont require full on historical accuracy but they coulda left that out.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Maybe people are too busy looking for the bridge. It isn't there

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Probably because we have actual firsthand verifiable accounts of multiple eyewitnesses for the Patriot unlike Braveheart which would only have a few not counting oral history of course.

Plus the whole "Yess masser I be happy in dem fields" was a bit much to be honest, I dont require full on historical accuracy but they coulda left that out.
    None of those vague accounts of the period in Braveheart indicate that the English acted like SS in Poland, though.

I think Patirot is an easier target simply for the fact that it's an American movie about the American Revolution.

Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows.

Decent action adventure flick. But it's not Sherlock Holmes. They could've called it John Doe Game of Shadows. Wouldn't have sold as many tickets but the title would be less misleading. Really really hope they don't make a third one, and sully the name any further.

Just makes me wonder....where did all the old fashioned mystery films go....

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post

Decent action adventure flick. But it's not Sherlock Holmes. They could've called it John Doe Game of Shadows. Wouldn't have sold as many tickets but the title would be less misleading. Really really hope they don't make a third one, and sully the name any further.

To hell, along with good video games and good hand-animated cartoons.

I just saw the Tom Cruise movie, Mission Impossible. Apart from me not being able to stand Tom Cruise and wanted to smash my TV to pieces every time I saw his ugly face, the movie was not that bad. Not that good, but considering that with a Mission Impossible movie you should expect horrible, cheesy action, I guess it was not that bad.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Have yet to see it but the first was great fun. Downey jr was great as the sociopathic genius and Jude Law was a great sidekick. Big compliment to Jude Law for not getting played of the screen they made a great duo

None of those vague accounts of the period in Braveheart indicate that the English acted like SS in Poland, though.
    To be honest it would be inconceivable that English troops would not act beastly to people at that time seeing as it was the 13/14th century.

Raping, pillaging, scorched earth and general nastiness were just an accepted part of War, it's only later people put the morality tale on it.

Machete

When it was first released and I saw the lead actor I thought that this is the man who get's whupped by Antonio Banderas and I did not watch it.
    Then after hearing a lot of good things about it I finally did watch it. And it's everything a guy can want in a film of the genre. Blood, gore and sex aplenty. And it's got some funny, outrageous moments too. The thermometer in the guy's neck. The bit where he kidnaps the daughter and the wife. Full of win.
    All in all excellent film. Must watch for fans of the genre.

Machete

When it was first released and I saw the lead actor I thought that this is the man who get's whupped by Antonio Banderas and I did not watch it.
    Then after hearing a lot of good things about it I finally did watch it. And it's everything a guy can want in a film of the genre. Blood, gore and sex aplenty. And it's got some funny, outrageous moments too. The thermometer in the guy's neck. The bit where he kidnaps the daughter and the wife. Full of win.
    Yep, Machete is awesome. Machete Kills is going to be filmed later this year.

Machete

Machete he get's the wimmin

In hindsight, I realised one very clever thing they did in Machete was that Danny Trejo has no more than a dozen lines. I haven't seen many of his movies but I doubt that he would've been any good with a lot of dialogue.
    Pretty amazing how a movie with a nearly silent protagonist worked so well.

In hindsight, I realised one very clever thing they did in Machete was that Danny Trejo has no more than a dozen lines. I haven't seen many of his movies but I doubt that he would've been any good with a lot of dialogue.
    Pretty amazing how a movie with a nearly silent protagonist worked so well.
    Go watch 'Hobo with a shotgun' alredady, it's full of hilarious quotes AND two badguys who carrie portable gallows that are fired of with a harpoon.

Watched Last Night, last night.
    As such the film isn't anything special. Kiera Knightly and Guillaume Canet give decent performances. Sam Worthington is passable but then that's probably because his role demanded him to be the....'shallower' one.
    What is remarkable about the movie is the question it raised, atleast for me.
    Cheating is bad. Period. But clearly there's two kinds of cheating. Physical and emotional. And it's so much easier to cheat on someone emotionally (as shown in the film...I felt that things moved forward a lot more 'organically' for Joanna and Alex). It's so easy to falter, for the mind and heart to run wild. While one can to a great extent control oneself physically, what about emotions? They are harder to control IMO.
    And the big question. Which is worst? To cheat on someone physically once and then get it out of your system? Or to cheat on someone emotionally?
    Depends on the person in question I suppose.

I love them and they answer me with pain and torment. Be it sin or not sin, they betray me in their hearts and that's far sin enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Go watch 'Hobo with a shotgun' alredady, it's full of hilarious quotes AND two badguys who carrie portable gallows that are fired of with a harpoon.
    I've been trying to find a copy!
    My local video store has failed me again. Predictable TBH, considering the proprietor does not know what a 'hobo' is.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 04-28-2012 at 20:47.

Haywire - 9/10 Stars
    I really do not understand the criticism of this movie. It was the first action movie I have ever seen with a female protagonist who seemed cool or believable. My only big criticism of it (which is why I took a star away from the rating) was the sound. They muted the sound to the movie at some points and just had music, which really made it less immersive. Even when they didn't mute the other sounds to the movie, the music was too loud and in your face. Also, they electronically deepened her voice, which made it not sound right.
    Other than the sound, I thought it was a really good movie. Not as good as Bourne Identity (which I would give 10/10), but not far behind.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

The Green Lantern, gawd did they butcher the comics. Meh to the max

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    The Green Lantern, gawd did they butcher the comics. Meh to the max
    Agreed, that was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Avengers

Caught it in the theater. Been months since I saw a movie on the big screen.
    Really awesome. Many 'pump-your-fist-in-the-air' moments along with some laughs, and the bits with superheroes going up against each other are full of thrills.
    Also RDJ is a lot better as Tony Stark/Ironman than he was as Sherlock Holmes. No question about it.
    Worth every cent. Really hope they do another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Agreed, that was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
    Only reason to watch that movie is Ryan Reynolds wisecracking just like he is the only reason to watch Blade Trinity too that film is a comedy when he is on screen.

Avengers

Caught it in the theater. Been months since I saw a movie on the big screen.
    Really awesome. Many 'pump-your-fist-in-the-air' moments along with some laughs, and the bits with superheroes going up against each other are full of thrills.
    Also RDJ is a lot better as Tony Stark/Ironman than he was as Sherlock Holmes. No question about it.
    Worth every cent. Really hope they do another one.
    I was left feeling a bit cold watching this movie as were many of the cinema audience where I saw it too.

To be honest I sooner this had been Ironman 3

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Haywire - 9/10 Stars
    I really do not understand the criticism of this movie. It was the first action movie I have ever seen with a female protagonist who seemed cool or believable. My only big criticism of it (which is why I took a star away from the rating) was the sound. They muted the sound to the movie at some points and just had music, which really made it less immersive. Even when they didn't mute the other sounds to the movie, the music was too loud and in your face. Also, they electronically deepened her voice, which made it not sound right.
    Other than the sound, I thought it was a really good movie. Not as good as Bourne Identity (which I would give 10/10), but not far behind.
    I told you the music was weird didnt I all jazzy and stuff still dont understand what they were trying for.

I told you the music was weird didnt I all jazzy and stuff still dont understand what they were trying for.
    I didn't horribly mind the music actually, except that it was way too loud. It was not the best music, but if it was softer, it would not have been that bad.

I was left feeling a bit cold watching this movie as were many of the cinema audience where I saw it too.

To be honest I sooner this had been Ironman 3
    Don't you mean that you felt a shiver run down your back when Thor hits Captain America's shield?

Don't you mean that you felt a shiver run down your back when Thor hits Captain America's shield?

No I would have to say if your not American the excitement will not be so great at all at all.

Problems I see are

1:The plot could do with tightening up a bit as you have to have seen Thor to properly understand this movie.

2: There is too much going on cast wise chop half the cast and there is no appreciable differ in the plot.

3:Captain America is a big pile of honestly yanks may get some shiver seeing him on screen but the rest of the world is more meh (they would have been better leaving him in WW2 to be honest)

4:The Black widow and useless Archery character could be completely be removed with little effort from the script

5 Just make Ironman 3 and get on with it(Not that Ironman isnt full of meh but the jokes are just better)

basically a middling to fairly decent enough summer action movie and nothing more.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 05-03-2012 at 16:42.

Come on, one does not need to be American to enjoy a good comic book based film. I for one am not from America, at all.
    Out of curiosity, what is your favourite superhero movie?

Come on, one does not need to be American to enjoy a good comic book based film. I for one am not from America, at all.
    I bet the Hulk because he's green

You do to have any kind of gra for Captain America it's telling that people did go to see his film here but there was no audience reaction to him and there wasnt any this time either. If it wasnt for the few jokes they worked into then Cap is a lost cause, they should have played up the out of time factor for more laughs to be honest.

Maybe Batman Begins or Kickass I havent really thought about it to be honest.

I will watch a Popcorntastic Michael Baysplosionfest as much as the next man but there are limits to my excitement.

This movie falls flat regular and mainly where there obviously trying to advance comicbook lore.

For example the scene with the aircraft carrier being turned into a helicarrier just did not have a wow factor at all thats criminal in my view.

There is a great movie in here somewhere but it's not this one, I suspect it will be Avengers 2 this was merely throwing up the sliotar for a puc out by the goalie or a soft throw to a baseball fella.

It is worthy of going seeing but to be honest it's only a small bit more exciting than Captain America or Green Lantern was and they pretty much fell flat.

Maybe it's me but I dont get the huge lovefest about the Avengers must be down to cartoons people watched as kids or summit.

If it was me I woulda scraped the whole Shield/Nick Fury idea and just make the Avengers something that Ironman came up with himself. Just because Fury blah blah is the comiclore reason is not reason enough to make it the movie reason for the Avengers to assemble together. Captain America, Thor and Ironman is enough you want the Black Widow character they could have kept her as Starks PA from Ironman2.

Not the best not and the worst I ever saw satisfactory student is the term I would use on a test paper.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 05-03-2012 at 18:18.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Into the Abyss - I'm really liking this Werner Herzog guy. Excellent documentary on a triple homicide in Texas that left two convicted; one for life and one to die. It's a powerful and gruesome story and Herzog is upfront that he himself is quite against the death penalty, but he does an excellent job of creating empathy for either side of the debate. Not light fare at all.

Page 82 of 114 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast