Thread: I want to pay broadcasters in other countries to watch their television!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default I want to pay broadcasters in other countries to watch their television!

Simply this: in the UK we have the BBC to watch mid to high definition TV via the internet, but I canno legally use the comparable streaming services for chanels in the US or elsewhere. This is particularly silly because these services are free in host countries even when the chanel they serve is subscription.

I would pay for the privilage, but no one will let me.

Is this not the most stupid thing about the Internet economy?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

Default Re: I want to pay broadcasters in other countries to watch their television!

Yup its a pain but I did find a way around some of it, if you're using Firefox may I recommend this?

First, run the Firefox browser.
    • Go to http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/967 and install an add-on called Modify Headers
    • Then once Firefox restarts, in the top menu bar go to Tools -> Modify Headers
    • A separate smaller window will open. Select the drop down box in the upper left and click ‘Add’
    • You’ll also see 3 input boxes, in the first after ‘add’ enter “X-Forwarded-For” without the quotation marks
    • In the second box enter “12.13.14.15″ without the quotation marks
    • Leave the third box empty and click the button with ‘Add’ to the right of it.
    • Now when you see your new filter displayed, click the ‘Configuration’ button on the bottom right.
    • A new General options box appears, and just click ‘Always On: Enable Modify Headers’
    • That’s it, you’re done, close the box, give yourself a pat on the back.
    • Next for the best bit, head directly to The Daily Show or ColbertNation websites, giggle with happiness and emit shouts of whooooooo like you’re in the audience when the videos come on.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-06-2012 at 01:07.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: I want to pay broadcasters in other countries to watch their television!

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Yup its a pain but I did find a way around some of it, if you're using Firefox may I recommend this?
    Nice to see we can agree on current events, at least.

Hmmm.

On a more serious note. Why is this? It makes no economic sense, do we think this is because broadcasters haven't caught up with the reality of the internet?

Surely we have to go univerasal-access eventually?

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Suppose there still making money chopping telly rights up for differing markets.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Suppose there still making money chopping telly rights up for differing markets.
    Ding ding ding we have a winnner!

All those none BBC UK channels that show US/Canadian/Aussie shows? Well they paid cash money to for those broadcast rights. And if you can just stream them from a original producers website then who's going to watch them on the telly? And it works in both directions. I won't get to see the latest season of Dr. Who, Merlin, Being Human, or Primeval until 6 months after you.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Ding ding ding we have a winnner!

All those none BBC UK channels that show US/Canadian/Aussie shows? Well they paid cash money to for those broadcast rights. And if you can just stream them from a original producers website then who's going to watch them on the telly? And it works in both directions. I won't get to see the latest season of Dr. Who, Merlin, Being Human, or Primeval until 6 months after you.
    Interestingly Game of Thrones is only one day after the US apparently, looks like the pirates are forcing the issue just like PVC said.

It's gonna have to be almost the same week now whereas "£$£$ my dad says" can manage the old system.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    And it works in both directions. I won't get to see the latest season of Dr. Who, Merlin, Being Human, or Primeval until 6 months after you.
    How can you watch that stuff? BBC drama's are atrocious.

And that is coming from someone who watches such classics as the "Real Housewives of Orange County", "The Jeremy Kyle Show" and "Ghosthunting with The Only Way is Essex". Yeah that last one really happened.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Blog Entries

We deal with it by watching some good comedy shows, "mock the week", "who's line is it anyway", "have I got news for you", usually holds off the suicidal urges you get just knowing people actually watch "supersize vs superskinny".
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

TV rights are nonsense, and now that we have piracy, it only hurts themselves.

Example: Game of Thrones S1 was shown on Norwegian TV(nrk) in january/february. I watched it. I liked it. S2 is coming out in the US now, it won't come here for at least 6 months. No way am I going to wait for it, why on earth would I? I'll download it now, then watch it again when it comes on TV as a build-up for S3(assuming there will be one). If there was a way for me to buy it, I would do so. Since there isn't, I'm forced to piracy.

And don't get me started on how football rights are chopped up.....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post

Example: Game of Thrones S1 was shown on Norwegian TV(nrk) in january/february. I watched it. I liked it. S2 is coming out in the US now, it won't come here for at least 6 months. No way am I going to wait for it, why on earth would I? I'll download it now, then watch it again when it comes on TV as a build-up for S3(assuming there will be one). If there was a way for me to buy it, I would do so. Since there isn't, I'm forced to piracy.

What actually upset me was not being able to watch The Almighty Johnsons, which is a New Zealand show about four bothers who happen to the mortal incarnations of Gods. First series has just finished here, second series is half way through over there. It wouldn't be so bad, but they only do ten episodes a series.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

television is for housewives
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blog Entries

Everyone knows Real Men drink antifreeze and watch the hallucinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    What actually upset me was not being able to watch The Almighty Johnsons, which is a New Zealand show about four bothers who happen to the mortal incarnations of Gods. First series has just finished here, second series is half way through over there. It wouldn't be so bad, but they only do ten episodes a series.
    Same scenario then. They're only hurting themselves. They need a reality check, realize that piracy IS an option and update their strategies to include that fact. What they're doing now is basically holding their hands in front of their eyes shouting "I can't hear you I can't hear you" like a four-year old. Both you and I are willing to pay for their products, but they won't let us. I don't know what you do to solve it, but I choose piracy. With a very clean conscience. And I'm far from alone in my position.

television is for housewives
    If I had the money and the time to travel to the UK and watch the games from the stands every weekend, I would.

Please, donate your bags of cash here, good sir.

If I had the money and the time to travel to the UK and watch the games from the stands every weekend, I would.

Please, donate your bags of cash here, good sir.
    Sports are not televison, sports are thearter which happen to be decisiminated through the same box as television.

you dirty red bastard.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Same scenario then. They're only hurting themselves. They need a reality check, realize that piracy IS an option and update their strategies to include that fact. What they're doing now is basically holding their hands in front of their eyes shouting "I can't hear you I can't hear you" like a four-year old. Both you and I are willing to pay for their products, but they won't let us. I don't know what you do to solve it, but I choose piracy. With a very clean conscience. And I'm far from alone in my position.
    Well, look at BBC iPlayer, the license fee is £144 odd for a UK resident, I would have thought Americans etc. would pay Auntie hlf that, about $10 a month for everything on the service. I mean, everything currently on the Beeb is on eyeplayer including most of the big UK TV exports, Dr Who, Merlin, Upstairs Downstairs, BEing Human, all the Dickens adaptations they do... If it was a monthly subscription people could dip in and out, if anything the problem would be setting the price low enough so that you only cover the extra bandwidth and don't make a profit.

Same with any American chanel, between the Simpsons, Family Guy, etc. and Glee alone Fox would make a killing. HBO? Even more so, they'd be rolling in money. What's more, as TV gradually goes digital anyway traditional transmitters will become obsolete and can just be got rid of, just have a new kind of set-top box that connects direct to your broadband.

As you say, pricay isn't going anywhere, it will just mutate and we're reaching the point where this theoretically "illegal" practice is going mainstream regardless of what the law says. One of the sites shut down a few years ago, Ninja Video, was mentioned in a British print computing magazine as THE place to go for TV online.

Sports are not televison, sports are thearter which happen to be decisiminated through the same box as television.

you dirty red bastard.

Sport is something you play, not something you watch. Unless you are in the League of Ultimate Shouters and Beer Drinkers.
    Last edited by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; 04-06-2012 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Sport is something do play, not something you watch. Unless you are in the League of Ultimate Shouters and Beer Drinkers.
    You have no idea how much I shout in real life.

Your statement is nothing more the conjecture and I demand a retraction

Blog Entries

Sport is something do play, not something you watch. Unless you are in the League of Ultimate Shouters and Beer Drinkers.
    *looks at strike*
    I would say he is.

You have no idea how much I shout in real life.

Your statement is nothing more the conjecture and I demand a retraction
    I wasn't talking about you personally, I was pointing out the difference between "sports" and "watching sport on television", which is not itself a sport.

Blog Entries

I believe he's ribbing you. PVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfhylwyr View Post
    How can you watch that stuff? BBC drama's are atrocious.

And that is coming from someone who watches such classics as the "Real Housewives of Orange County", "The Jeremy Kyle Show" and "Ghosthunting with The Only Way is Essex". Yeah that last one really happened.

But really I watched 10 seasons of Smallville and loved it all. And really with British drama the historical ones are atrocious, if your a heterosexual male. Still those shows are what I like to watch (and Misfits). Are they as good as the things produced in the US or locally? Not always. By the same token I could show you the first season of Sanctuary, which really wasn't good. But Merlin has goten much better in season 3.

But nothing on TV today is as good as Todd and the book of pure evil (which is like an Iron maiden song turned into a TV series).

I honestly think they do need to wake up and realize that first dibs clauses are just stupidin 2012. At the very least the intervals should be narrowed to a month or less.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass