Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120 LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,570 of 3598

Thread: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

Quote Originally Posted by Schema View Post
    I daresay this was my worst game ever as far as reads and thread presence goes. Apologies to everyone for that one.

Thanks for the game. Might come back for a smaller one later on? We'll see.
    It was fun playing with you still

Gg everyone
    "How dare you dodge the barrel!"

Is this the largest volume game on the site?
    Last edited by Monstrdude; 01-03-2017 at 07:30. Reason: Because

Dang 4th place

We didn't even get bronze

Try harder next time guys, dammit

Facilitating Understanding Member Dp101's Avatar

What the hell happens in capo to inflate the post counts to that level?

Quote Originally Posted by Dp101 View Post
    Having like 40 players

capo 4 had over 100 players

Capo IV had 100+ players over nearly 3 months of play. On another site, it would have generated many tens of thousands of posts.

As it is, the quicktopics and private chats were the real scene of action. They made Zack cry sad tears.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

We beat a game that had this many players

a completely inoffensive name
    A Very Super Market
    Andres
    Askthepizzaguy
    atheotes
    autolycus
    Belisarius II
    Beskar
    Captain Blackadder
    Centurion1
    Chaotix
    Csargo
    Diamondeye
    Diana Abnoba
    GeneralHankerchief
    Greyblades
    Ibn-Khaldun
    johnhughthom
    Jolt
    Joooray
    Kagemusha
    Khazaar
    Lord Winter
    Methos
    Niklas
    pevergreen
    Psychonaut
    Renata
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Secura
    Subotan
    TheFlax
    Thermal Mercury
    TinCow
    White_eyes:D
    Winston Hughes
    Yaropolk
    Yaseikhaan
    These names
    Were deleted

Facilitating Understanding Member Dp101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Capo IV had 100+ players over nearly 3 months of play. On another site, it would have generated many tens of thousands of posts.

As it is, the quicktopics and private chats were the real scene of action. They made Zack cry sad tears.
    but why. Who thought that having 100 players was a good idea, and why was Zack sad? And how many private chats were there, were half the players neighbours or something?

That sounds like a blast to play in though

why would that make me cry? I enjoy private comms in those types of games

my reasons for disliking capo 4 are different

PoG anniversary had like 121 players (or something)

That game had I think some tens of thousands of posts

By the way, it is a nightmare wolfing in a 121 player game

but why. Who thought that having 100 players was a good idea, and why was Zack sad? And how many private chats were there, were half the players neighbours or something?
    Free networking.

Quote Originally Posted by imdone View Post

I cried sad tears trying to keep up with Capo IV.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    By the way, it is a nightmare wolfing in a 121 player game
    I was technically on that wolf team kek

$tat$

Free networking.
    that comment had nothing to do with private chats, it was about the game thread and there being over 100 players

M

LenC did all the work

We were just cannon fodder, because that's how most mashes go period

That sounds like a blast to play in though
    Pirate Ship Mafia is better.

that comment had nothing to do with private chats, it was about the game thread and there being over 100 players
    Yeah yeah, you still sad tears.

EDIT:

Pirate Ship Mafia is better.
    Which one?
    Vitiate Man.

M

LenC did all the work

We were just cannon fodder, because that's how most mashes go period
    I had the best opening post though

<Insert Joke Here> Member Choxorn's Avatar

Yeah, Capo IV was bad because of that goddamn lawyer.

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

Capo IV was awesome because I got to betray my fearless leader and become boss of the Corleones.

It also sucked because Diana Abnoba betrayed me with her own family and won the game. Not that I'm still salty or anything. Much.

Here’s my $.02 on the game – particularly with regard to the volume. I’ll post it here, though I think it has application across more than just this game.

There is no reason anyone should have more than 100 posts in the first two days of a game. None.

And 100 is even stretching it. Frankly I can’t fathom needing more than 20-30 in a day period, and that being an exception rather than a rule.

We are not playing this live, and don’t need the game to be a stream of consciousness. We have a very geographically diverse player base and not everyone can be online at the same time. Just because someone isn’t responding to your post within 5 minutes doesn’t mean that no one is listening to you.

You should also take the time to compose your thoughts and write concise posts. There is no reason to have 7 posts within 5 minutes, all without anyone else posting in the meantime. If you have a problem getting your thoughts down, don’t write in the reply post box. Write in another program like Word. Get all your thoughts down, cut and paste all your quotes, organize everything, proof read it, then post that in the reply thread box.

Unless it is EOD, there is no compelling reason why something has to be posted NOW. It can wait the 2 minutes it takes to review and consolidate.

Treating the thread like a chat room leads directly to spammy posts (which further inflates the thread), and I’d conjecture also leads to the heated emotions and potentially harsh reactions. GH’s post about profanity being a gateway to heated emotions is the same thing here with the stream of consciousness posting. Slow down and moderate yourself before there is even a need to have someone else moderate for you.

As a player that has more limited time to play these days, having a really fast moving thread is very difficult to keep up with. The frustration with trying to keep up is compounded when a huge proportion of the posts are spammy in nature or are needless back and forth chats. It also makes it really hard (impossible really) to go back and review the thread and do any kind of analysis.

One RL day this game I spent nearly an hour and a half of my day (broken into bits as I can’t really sit down and commit consecutive time anymore) just trying to read the thread. I was always 5-10 pages behind, and never actually posted a damn thing. At one point I simply skipped about 10 pages and never read them. That sucks and is not the way I like to play this game.

I am a lower volume poster. I always have been and likely always will be. But when a thread moves as fast as this one it is just not possible to even keep up let alone post. It’s hard to build good reads, it’s hard to review what has been said, it’s hard to really understand the nuances that need to be understood to solve the game. It’s just not fun.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Members thankful for this post (4):

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Here’s my $.02 on the game – particularly with regard to the volume. I’ll post it here, though I think it has application across more than just this game.

There is no reason anyone should have more than 100 posts in the first two days of a game. None.

And 100 is even stretching it. Frankly I can’t fathom needing more than 20-30 in a day period, and that being an exception rather than a rule.

We are not playing this live, and don’t need the game to be a stream of consciousness. We have a very geographically diverse player base and not everyone can be online at the same time. Just because someone isn’t responding to your post within 5 minutes doesn’t mean that no one is listening to you.

You should also take the time to compose your thoughts and write concise posts. There is no reason to have 7 posts within 5 minutes, all without anyone else posting in the meantime. If you have a problem getting your thoughts down, don’t write in the reply post box. Write in another program like Word. Get all your thoughts down, cut and paste all your quotes, organize everything, proof read it, then post that in the reply thread box.

Unless it is EOD, there is no compelling reason why something has to be posted NOW. It can wait the 2 minutes it takes to review and consolidate.

Treating the thread like a chat room leads directly to spammy posts (which further inflates the thread), and I’d conjecture also leads to the heated emotions and potentially harsh reactions. GH’s post about profanity being a gateway to heated emotions is the same thing here with the stream of consciousness posting. Slow down and moderate yourself before there is even a need to have someone else moderate for you.

As a player that has more limited time to play these days, having a really fast moving thread is very difficult to keep up with. The frustration with trying to keep up is compounded when a huge proportion of the posts are spammy in nature or are needless back and forth chats. It also makes it really hard (impossible really) to go back and review the thread and do any kind of analysis.

One RL day this game I spent nearly an hour and a half of my day (broken into bits as I can’t really sit down and commit consecutive time anymore) just trying to read the thread. I was always 5-10 pages behind, and never actually posted a damn thing. At one point I simply skipped about 10 pages and never read them. That sucks and is not the way I like to play this game.

I am a lower volume poster. I always have been and likely always will be. But when a thread moves as fast as this one it is just not possible to even keep up let alone post. It’s hard to build good reads, it’s hard to review what has been said, it’s hard to really understand the nuances that need to be understood to solve the game. It’s just not fun.
    I'm not going to change the rules to accommodate this as that opens up way too many cans of worms, but I agree with 90% of this post. The part I disagree with is the "there is no compelling reason something has to be posted NOW" line of argument - there's something to be said for purity of reactions - but I do think overall, especially when taken to the extremes seen here, that the pros of more measured posting outweigh the cons.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

To be clear, I am not recommending formally changing the rules. That would be a huge pain in the ass to moderate and overall would likely not be that healthy either.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I agree with BSmith. When people turn the thread into their personal Notepad where they jot down their stream of thought as they go I lose all interest in the thread regardless of my alignment or that of the annoyance in question.
    It's simply no fun and I don't have the energy to just wade through a mountain of contentless posts by someone who, on top of it, tells me that it's my fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renata View Post
    Capo IV was awesome because I got to betray my fearless leader and become boss of the Corleones.

It also sucked because Diana Abnoba betrayed me with her own family and won the game. Not that I'm still salty or anything. Much.
    I got to do you a cool avatar, as I recall. It's still in my hard drive. :)
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Sorry I play how I play

Disclosure: After Pizza lynched me in Capo IV, he PMed me to encourage me to post dire in-thread warnings against challenging Pizza. I did the opposite, but only for a day or two. You don't get that kind of weirdness often.
    Vitiate Man.

Oh and: the stream of consciousness posting got me completely townread

Using the thread as my personal notepad and "needless chats" lead to great quality of reads from me throughout the game

I tried to and in the future will cut back more, but you're missing several key aspects of all these "contentless posts" you're so frustrated with

I agree that having to skip ten pages sucks and isn't right

Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120 LastLast