Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1290

Thread: What book are you reading?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: What book are you reading?

Rant about an entire genre alert

Crime novels. Is it just me or is everything a crime novelist writes an open sollicitation to a movie-studio.

I picked up loads of books from a shop in Maastricht on Tuesday; included was some of Hafiz's poetry and Hugh Kennedy's "The Great Arab Conquests".
    This space intentionally left blank.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I finished up 1984 last week.

I thought it was both brilliant and (of course) deeply disturbing, both thought-provoking and incredibly depressing. Regardless, I found it to be an enjoyable read (albeit in a horrific/macabre sort of way).

I also completed re-reading The Courtship of Princess Leia. Although I liked the book well enough, I didn't enjoy it as much this time around as when I first read it.

The dialogue felt "juvenile" in a lot of ways, and both Leia & Han felt...wrong, somehow. Their personalities (as portrayed in the book) didn't mesh very well with how most other authors in the Expanded Universe have written them, to say nothing of not fitting in with their personalities in the films. Of course, Courtship was one of the earlier Star Wars: EU novels (back when the main characters' personalities were less well-formed), so probably Dave Wolverton can be forgiven this.

Next up: Partially on a whim, but partially because I've long been meaning to check out the series (but have never gotten around to doing so until now), I picked up The Midshipman Hornblower and Lieutenant Hornblower by C.S. Forester at the library.

Given how big a fan I am of David Weber's Honor Harrington books, I realized it's only natural & right that I read up on the character that inspired them in the first place. Also, Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World (the film adaptation of Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin novels) is one of my favorite movies, which gave me further impetus to check out (what seems to be considered) the gold standard of the "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" genre.

I've definitely not regretted it so far. I'm already over 2/3 of the way through Midshipman after just two days of reading, and am eager for more. I'm actually having to pace myself so I don't get through the books too quickly!
    Last edited by Martok; 01-15-2012 at 14:04.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    and Hugh Kennedy's "The Great Arab Conquests".
    That's a good one, almost reads like a novel

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    I finished up 1984 last week.

I thought it was both brilliant and (of course) deeply disturbing, both thought-provoking and incredibly depressing. Regardless, I found it to be an enjoyable read (albeit in a horrific/macabre sort of way).
    TBH I could never finish that one. I think I made it 1/4 through and got bored. Maybe I'm "mature" enough to give it another go. That is as long as I don't turn into psychotic late-70s Roger Waters.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I recently finished The Riddle of the Sands which I recommend...great sort of spy/mystery novel written around 1900...

Quote Originally Posted by Graiskye View Post
    I just received and started 'A People History of the United States', authored by Howard Zinn(RIP).
    Its considered by many to be the unvarnished version of the history of the Americas, and starts with Columbus's rather complete genocide of the Arawak Indians, of what is now known to be Haiti/Dominican Republic.
    And then it on to the Americas...yipee yee haw.
    Mans own inhumanity to man, is deeply disturbing, to put it mildly.
    Dont want to get too into it, but it seems a pretty interesting read, and I look forward to finishing it.
    In his own words Zinn tries to tell the history from the view of the the people who were often oppressed by it.
    Its a well known fact that history is wrought by the victors, and they simply don't tell the losers story.
    In this book Zinn tries to correct some of these historic imbalances.
    If you are interested in the more real history of the USA, and North America in general, you would do well to check it out.
    If nothing else it should help me to achieve a more rounded, and complete understanding of our forefathers in the USA.
    While I am Canadian, I am a child of history, and especially the more recent history of our world.
    We just seem to forget things so quickly nowadays.
    Peace all.
    That's a terrible book and the amount you know about history will decrease with every chapter you read. Try walter mcdougalls history instead, though it only goes up to 1880 or so...

Next up: Partially on a whim, but partially because I've long been meaning to check out the series (but have never gotten around to doing so until now), I picked up The Midshipman Hornblower and Lieutenant Hornblower by C.S. Forester at the library.

Given how big a fan I am of David Weber's Honor Harrington books, I realized it's only natural & right that I read up on the character that inspired them in the first place. Also, Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World (the film adaptation of Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin novels) is one of my favorite movies, which gave me further impetus to check out (what seems to be considered) the gold standard of the "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" genre.

I've definitely not regretted it so far. I'm already over 2/3 of the way through Midshipman after just two days of reading, and am eager for more. I'm actually having to pace myself so I don't get through the books too quickly!
    I like all of those books...there's like 10 more I think...

Continuing working through the Hornblower series. Have finished Midshipman, and am already almost halfway through Lieutenant.

I really wish I'd not waited so long to pick these up! They're most definitely a good, fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    TBH I could never finish that one. I think I made it 1/4 through and got bored. Maybe I'm "mature" enough to give it another go. That is as long as I don't turn into psychotic late-70s Roger Waters.

How old were you when you tried reading it the first time?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

The Hobbit. 19% complete. :D

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    What!? You of all people, I should think, would really like that book. Its all about the manipulation of information, and the philosophical implications of that. Well, and a lot more, but that's certainly one of the most interesting themes.
    I guess I'll give another go.

How old were you when you tried reading it the first time?
    Early teens.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I picked up The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie based on the post by Nowake at the top of this page. It is quite well-written, very pacey for sure. I like the main characters thus far, despite their misgivings as people. The humour is pitch black and while I haven't got very far into the plot it does already seem to have some depth.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I picked up 7 of the Richard Sharpe books. Finished one of them (Sharpe's Rifles) and just started Sharpe's Eagle. Really good series, Ill have to watch the tv series at some point.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Have started Hornblower and the Atropos. Not as good as the previous two so far (Forester's writing seems to struggle a bit when not focusing on naval action), but it's still early.

After I finish that one, I'm taking a break from the HH series to read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Haven't read pure fantasy in a little while now (a few months at least), and a couple of my friends have roundly praised the book, so I'm looking forward to getting into it!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Early teens.
    Yeah, it might be worth trying it again then, now that you're older. I suspect most of us are unable to fully appreciate it at that age (I know I would've been!), so perhaps it's time to give it another go.

Just finished E=mc^2: a biography of the world's most famous equation by David Bodanis

Now starting Utopia by Sir Thomas More

Just finished The True Believer by Eric Hoffer, the "longshoreman philosopher". He went blind at age 7 and the regained his sight at age 15 and started to read all the time...worked as a longshoreman and then wrote this book at age 50. About how mass movements like communism, fascism, revolutions, and religions start proceed and end, and the psychology of the people involved. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Just finished The True Believer by Eric Hoffer, the "longshoreman philosopher". He went blind at age 7 and the regained his sight at age 15 and started to read all the time...worked as a longshoreman and then wrote this book at age 50. About how mass movements like communism, fascism, revolutions, and religions start proceed and end, and the psychology of the people involved. Very good.
    What was the medical condition behind his temporary blindness?

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    What was the medical condition behind his temporary blindness?
    Unknown, possibly a fall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hoffer

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Sluaghterhouse 5 by Vonnegut
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

second game of thrones book - awesome.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Just finished Haruki Murakami "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman" short stories collection. The man encouraged me to and embrace accept my own short stories, no matter how insane or mundane they might appear to the general public.

Trying to force my way through Stephen King's "Lisey's Story", but it actually physically hurts to see that genius becoming - IMHO, ofc - anything less than a brilliant writer.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Started with the first book of Stieg Larsson's Milennium series. Let's see if the hype is deserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Pawnee: The Greatest Town In America. This book was written entirely by the writers for Parks and Recreation (ie - the funniest show on television by a very long way) and it details the town's history, looks at the various people who live in it and is just absolutely astounding. I can't believe they wrote it just based on a single episode in which the main character Leslie published this very book whilst preparing to run for higher office.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Pawnee: The Greatest Town In America. This book was written entirely by the writers for Parks and Recreation (ie - the funniest show on television by a very long way) and it details the town's history, looks at the various people who live in it and is just absolutely astounding. I can't believe they wrote it just based on a single episode in which the main character Leslie published this very book whilst preparing to run for higher office.
    Such a good show. I'll have to pick it up now.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Started with the first book of Stieg Larsson's Milennium series. Let's see if the hype is deserved.
    NO

It has everything that makes the genre such a joke, people just don't behave like that. Sloppy writing all style, zero believability. The movies are ok though that is one HOT vikingchick

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    NO

It has everything that makes the genre such a joke, people just don't behave like that. Sloppy writing all style, zero believability. The movies are ok though that is one HOT vikingchick
    I heard the opposite.
    I'll see for myself. For reference I disliked Dan Brown's book as well as the movie adaptation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Comparable to a Dan Brown book in making you feel that you are reading a movie script. To both their credit people who usually don't like to read pick it up en masse, which is always good

God and Gold Britain, America, and the making of the modern world, by walter russel mead.

Looks at the last few hundred years of history from the perspective of the maritime liberal capitalist societies of the UK and the US which he relates very closely. Then looks at the wider foreign policy issues and what light is shed on them. Interesting book, puts a different perspective on history.

Also, I found this bit very amusing:

"Seats in the House of Commons were openly bought and sold, as were the votes of the electors. In 1734 Anthony Henley, a British MP from Southampton, wrote a letter in answer to constituents' complaints about his support of the excise tax:

Gentlemen:
    I received yours and I am surprised at your insolence in troubling me about the excise. You know what I very well know, that I bought you. And I know well what perhaps you think I don't know, that you are now selling yourselves to somebody else. And I know something you don't know, that I am buying another borough. May God's curse light on you all. May your houses be as open and as common to all excise officers as your wives and daughters were to me when I stood for your scoundrel corporation.
    "
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 02-13-2012 at 03:34.

Concurrent with The Name of the Wind (which I'm now about 80% of the way through), I've also begun reading What If? 2. It's a collection of essays written by by various historians & professors examining how the world might be different had certain historical events gone a different way.

The reading is a bit dry at times, but still interesting. I've now finished the first essay, which contemplates how Western philosophy might have changed had Socrates died in his mid-forties at the Battle of Delium (in which he fought), which was before he became truly well-known. Have just begun the next essay, which looks at a world in which Antony & Cleopatra won the Battle of Actium (and how they might have been victorious in that battle). Good stuff so far.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Night Train to Lisbon, by Pascal Mercier.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Dune, on the Kindle naturally.

Never actually sat through the whole film and wanted to see if it's as good as people say, not too bad so far but only read 15% of it.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I am almost finished with Why the West Rules~ for Now, by Ian Morris.

I can’t say enough good about it. Anyone who likes history shouldn’t miss this book.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast