Page 90 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 3617

Thread: Ukraine-in-a-thread

Default Re: Ukraine-in-a-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    So in one facet of multculturalism, I'll claim that Ukraine scores relatively high, namely language. But in other facets, not so much. So over all, I will not say that Ukraine is multicultural. Yet there is this one facet of multuculturalism where it does score relatively high, and this facet is causing some trouble and tension.
    If Ukraine is almost in the center of the language scale, where are Switzerland and Belgium? How can you derive that multiculturalism is the reason for the country's failure if so many other countries score much higher in almost every regard and are doing just fine?

And which countries are or even were monocultural? I already mentioned North Korea, I cannot think of many others. The Third Reich certainly tried to be monocultural but they still had a few black people left. Or do a few people not count? At which point does a country turn from monoculture to multiculture?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Kad, what is your experience of living in a multicultural society? Have you read about it on the internets?

- - - Updated - - -

Kad, what is your experience of living in a multicultural society? Have you read about it on the internets?
    School in a multicultural ghetto. I had to run for my life chased by people with knives on some occasions, basically for the crime of being a Swede in Sweden.

I also live in Sthlm, going on the Subway here, you see way more Arabs and Africans than blondes.

I also live in a suburb with an African/Arab youth gang scaring the neighborhood...

I have to go by at least 10-15 begging gypsies just getting to work.

I live in a country that accepts MORE than 1% of their population a YEAR as immigrants, generally from the worlds most ****** up countries, like Afghanistan, Somalia, Syria...

Did you know there are more Iraqis in just one of the SUBURBS of Stockholm, than the US has accepted as refugees?

Sweden basically clean up the poo left by ill thought out politics and cultures.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    School in a multicultural ghetto. I had to run for my life chased by people with knives on some occasions, basically for the crime of being a Swede in Sweden.

I also live in Sthlm, going on the Subway here, you see way more Arabs and Africans than blondes.

I also live in a suburb with an African/Arab youth gang scaring the neighborhood...

I have to go by at least 10-15 begging gypsies just getting to work.

I live in a country that accepts MORE than 1% of their population a YEAR as immigrants, generally from the worlds most ****** up countries, like Afghanistan, Somalia, Syria...

Did you know there are more Iraqis in just one of the SUBURBS of Stockholm, than the US has accepted as refugees?

Sweden basically clean up the poo left by ill thought out politics and cultures.
    And you got assaulted and robbed.

how's the finger, btw?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    And you got assaulted and robbed.

how's the finger, btw?
    Yeah, that as well... Am too pissed off about that to bring it up for discussion here though...

About my finger, let's just say that my (non-existant) career as a computer game pro is over. I can bend it somewhat, but have no feel...

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Yeah, that as well... Am too pissed off about that to bring it up for discussion here though...

About my finger, let's just say that my (non-existant) career as a computer game pro is over. I can bend it somewhat, but have no feel...
    Here's hoping it gets better with time.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Here's hoping it gets better with time.
    What? No pray!?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    they don't consider Russians our enemies putting all the blame on Putin.” Your answer: “You seem to have had a tour around Russian-speaking South-East, canvassed their opinion and formed yours
    In my sentence you quoted I didn't speak of the inhabitants of South-eastern Ukraine (they are sure to see no enemies in Russians) but of Ukrainians in general. Recent polls quite surprisingly (for many) show that on the average Russians are not perceived as enemies. Ukrainians are sure that we are to keep friendly relations and we will when Putin calms down (or steps down). In Russia Ukrainians are perceived mostly negatively. Russian TV may claim credit for it.
    http://lb.ua/news/2014/05/25/267674_...l_zayavil.html
    In the video you can see the diagram in which Yarosh is shown to be winning presidential elections (in fact his support was around 1%).
    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I don't care, Viking said it's a perfect example for the problems of multiculturalism, you and Viking are both "them", if you two can't even agree on this, it just shows how unorganized "they" are. If you say Ukraine wasn't multicultural then why did you not agree that it was a bad example for the failures of multiculturalism?
    I argued against Ukraine being considered multicultural. If you find where I said the contrary, I will be much obliged.

And which countries are or even were monocultural?
    Japan? Iceland? Saudi Arabia?
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 06-04-2014 at 13:19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Japan? Iceland? Saudi Arabia?
    Japan during the Imperial age is a good example of Monoculture (and how dangerous it is...)

Iceland... I dont really know enough about to say either way

Saudi Arabia is another good example - and is also a good example of why it isn't something you should desire...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Iceland comes closest, though no culture has been without cross-cultural episodes from time to time.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

If Ukraine is almost in the center of the language scale, where are Switzerland and Belgium? How can you derive that multiculturalism is the reason for the country's failure if so many other countries score much higher in almost every regard and are doing just fine?
    I've already answered this, either directly or indirectly. Switzerland and Belgium are doing just fine economically, Ukraine not so much. Many places in Eastern Ukraine seem to be in a not-too-good state.

Multiculturalism is most likely to cause trouble during bad times and decline.

And which countries are or even were monocultural? I already mentioned North Korea, I cannot think of many others. The Third Reich certainly tried to be monocultural but they still had a few black people left. Or do a few people not count? At which point does a country turn from monoculture to multiculture?
    There's a spectrum. Finding a completely monocultural society is not the point. The point is to be careful with things like mass-immigration, because they are likely to lay the foundation for large-scale multiculturalism for centuries ahead.

If a single neighbourhood is of a certain culture, that can't cause too much trouble; apart from the obvious examples, like that they are all part of organised criminality.

If, on the other hand, entire cities are split in half over culture, that's when things have a decent chance to turn nasty when the circumstances are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post
    Japan during the Imperial age is a good example of Monoculture (and how dangerous it is...)

Iceland... I dont really know enough about to say either way

Saudi Arabia is another good example - and is also a good example of why it isn't something you should desire...
    Japan was a country with imperial ambitions, currently isn't. Saudi Arabia is not a country with imperialistic ambitions. Japan was an authoritarian country and is currently a democratic country. Saudi Arabia is an authoritarian country.

What's the trend we're supposed to be seeing?
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

lolwhat? Kadagar is as factual as ever.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    lolwhat? Kadagar is as factual as ever.
    He's refering to post-"Iraqi freedom". Now that wiki is only going to 2008, but basically it's going 500> in 2002-2006, about 3000 in 2007 (with a goal of 7000) and estimated about 4500 for 2008.
    I got no idea if still correct today, but under Bush that was correct.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    He's refering to post-"Iraqi freedom". Now that wiki is only going to 2008, but basically it's going 500> in 2002-2006, about 3000 in 2007 (with a goal of 7000) and estimated about 4500 for 2008.
    I got no idea if still correct today, but under Bush that was correct.
    Then it's comparing apples and oranges, as the Iraqis in Sweden are not post-2003 refugees.

And even his morality argument is skewed. Yes, Sweden is thankfully taking its responsibilities in accepting refugees, while the US has a way to go.

However, the vast majority(about 1 mill) of Iraqi refugees are internally displaced refugees. And who's paying to run the refugee camps in Iraq? The USA.

In addition to all of this, the US actually accepts immigrants, while Sweden has banned immigration. So, every foreign person living in Sweden is a refugee or granted asylum, while this isn't the case in the US.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 06-05-2014 at 13:05.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Japan was a country with imperial ambitions, currently isn't. Saudi Arabia is not a country with imperialistic ambitions. Japan was an authoritarian country and is currently a democratic country. Saudi Arabia is an authoritarian country.

What's the trend we're supposed to be seeing?
    As far as I can get, one can't determine a trend like "multicultural spells successful" or the other way around. Those were just the monocultural countries that came to my mind at once. I can add some more: Hungary, Albania, Armenia, Lithuania, Cambodia, Vietnam. There is no way one can group them all into successful or unsuccessful.

As far as I can get, one can't determine a trend like "multicultural spells successful" or the other way around. Those were just the monocultural countries that came to my mind at once. I can add some more: Hungary, Albania, Armenia, Lithuania, Cambodia, Vietnam. There is no way one can group them all into successful or unsuccessful.
    exactly this - like any political idea Monoculture is a double edged sword with a varying scale of success among the countries who have tried it out - Imperial Japan and Saudi Arabia are 2 of the Worst implementations of Monoculture that had (and continue to have) massive repercussions on either their own people or the surrounding area.

Monoculture can be implemented successfully, however it tends to be vulnerable to Xenophobia and rampant Nationalism both of which can be massively harmful.

I do personally favour the Multicultural model because it does model the "real" world better - even within distinct ethnic groups there are usually more than 1 cultural group and ideally a Multicultural model charts a course which is closest to what all groups want - the down sides as have been pointed out are generally more cultural tension and a tendency for Politicians to "suck up" to cultural groups they think they can score more votes from rather than trying to chart the middle ground as the model is designed to do...

a tendency for Politicians to "suck up" to cultural groups they think they can score more votes from rather than trying to chart the middle ground as the model is designed to do...
    It is what has been done in Ukraine by Party of regions and Communists - exploiting the topic of Russian as a second official language. They started to play this old record each time before the elections trying to cull votes in the South-east and forgot about it the moment they got what they wanted. They didn't want to really introduce it as this having been done would have rid them of a topic to propel during the election campaign.
    Meanwile back to Ukraine. One more intercepted conversation was made public.
    http://focus.ua/incident/307714/
    Separatists in Ukraine talk to the ataman (something like the chieftain) of Don cossacks in Russia. The former claim that they captured OSCE mission and ask what is to be done with them. The ataman says that they are to take away their documents and keep them locked safe and sound. He adds that this is the order from quote far, far away unquote. Ruthless and cruel they are. Is there any doubt that here we are dealing with the dark side of the force?
    One more symptomatic thing: separatists state that it is better for them to withdraw from Ukraine because they think they will be done in.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 06-05-2014 at 14:56.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

exactly this - like any political idea Monoculture is a double edged sword with a varying scale of success among the countries who have tried it out - Imperial Japan and Saudi Arabia are 2 of the Worst implementations of Monoculture that had (and continue to have) massive repercussions on either their own people or the surrounding area.

Monoculture can be implemented successfully, however it tends to be vulnerable to Xenophobia and rampant Nationalism both of which can be massively harmful.

I do personally favour the Multicultural model because it does model the "real" world better - even within distinct ethnic groups there are usually more than 1 cultural group and ideally a Multicultural model charts a course which is closest to what all groups want - the down sides as have been pointed out are generally more cultural tension and a tendency for Politicians to "suck up" to cultural groups they think they can score more votes from rather than trying to chart the middle ground as the model is designed to do...
    Multiculturalism has led to better food in Britain. A 10 minute walk from Leicester Square to Soho provides all the argument you'd want for multiculturalism, with grocery stores and restaurants spanning the Americas all the way across Eurasia to east Asia. Go further east to East and West Ham, and you can cover Africa as well.

I see no patterns when I look at monocultural countries. When I look at countries where subgroups are sizeable on a national level, I almost invariably see a lot of trouble. I see a trend for these countries.

Russia has seen a lot of trouble coming from it's largely non-Russian regional entities. Like Dagestan and Chechnya.

In fact the whole of Caucasus is full of conflicts, and most of these conflicts are between different ethnic groups (like Georgians vs. Abkhazians, Georgians vs. Ossetians, Armenians vs. Azeris).
    Last edited by Viking; 06-05-2014 at 15:42.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Multiculturalism has led to better food in Britain. A 10 minute walk from Leicester Square to Soho provides all the argument you'd want for multiculturalism, with grocery stores and restaurants spanning the Americas all the way across Eurasia to east Asia. Go further east to East and West Ham, and you can cover Africa as well.
    Diatologists claim that a person should consume whatever is grown or bred in his own country since (as a result of ancestral memory) his/her system has been adapting to digest this kind of food for generations. Food from "far, far away" may disagree with it for no apparent reason - because the system has no experience of dealing with it. So it is no better food but more variegated food.
    And I think multiculturalism in Britain (as much as elsewhere) has led to doctors witnessing cases of diseases they had only read about before.

I see no patterns when I look at monocultural countries. When I look at countries where subgroups are sizeable on a national level, I almost invariably see a lot of trouble. I see a trend for these countries.

Russia has seen a lot of trouble coming from it's largely non-Russian regional entities. Like Dagestan and Chechnya.

In fact the whole of Caucasus is full of conflicts, and most of these conflicts are between different ethnic groups (like Georgians vs. Abkhazians, Georgians vs. Ossetians, Armenians vs. Azeris).
    I believe what Sir Moody and me are trying to say that you can find successful and troublesome countries irrespective of their mono/multicultural background. It is true that multiculturalism adds one more headache so that the country in question has to learn to deal with it. But even monocultural countries can have a lot of problems even without interethnic tensions (present day Syria, for example, or Cambodia where Pol Pot's regime massacred millions of Khmers).

I believe what Sir Moody and me are trying to say that you can find successful and troublesome countries irrespective of their mono/multicultural background. It is true that multiculturalism adds one more headache so that the country in question has to learn to deal with it. But even monocultural countries can have a lot of problems even without interethnic tensions (present day Syria, for example, or Cambodia where Pol Pot's regime massacred millions of Khmers).
    Syria is a multiethnic/-religious country. There are Kurds vs. Arabs and there are Sunnis vs. Shias vs. Christians; and these divisions are most visible in the current civil war.

Monocultural countries are not immune to nasty things; but my hypothesis is that multicultural countries and societies are more likely to experience nasty things. Monocultural countries need to have both clear divides created before slaughter can commence (like through ideology) + the right conditions, while in multicultural countries, such divisions are always present and only the right conditions are needed.

Multicultural countries have weaker "defenses" against things like civil war.
    Last edited by Viking; 06-05-2014 at 16:07.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Monocultural countries are not immune to nasty things; but my hypothesis is that multicultural countries and societies are more likely to experience nasty things.
    That's what I've been trying to say.

Syria is a multiethnic/-religious country. There are Kurds vs. Arabs and there are Sunnis vs. Shias vs. Christians; and these divisions are most visible in the current civil war.

Monocultural countries are not immune to nasty things; but my hypothesis is that multicultural countries and societies are more likely to experience nasty things.
    Id argue they are both vulnerable to "nasty things" but in different ways.

Started a new thread with my replies in case there's more to be said.

I wonder if things will change when Poroshenko is inaugurated on Saturday. Can we expect to see more aggressive military operations after that?
    Last edited by Viking; 06-06-2014 at 17:34. Reason: s -> S
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I think he has to do so. The objectives will probably be tightly limited, but failure to do so will erode so much confidence that the whole thing could degenerate further.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"The objectives will probably be tightly limited" I don't see why. He can bomb by airplanes, use attack-helicopters, sent troops as much he wants, even having being elected during a armed political crisis and only in the territory he controls, EU, US and the West in general won't say a word.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I think he has to do so. The objectives will probably be tightly limited, but failure to do so will erode so much confidence that the whole thing could degenerate further.
    Ironically, he's been preaching restraint, but as soon as it was clear he won, the attacks intensified.

You believe trying to defeat them militarily is the best course of action?

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Have you seen a map of the electoral results? Even if the entire Luhansk and Donetsk regions voted against him, or chose not to vote, he was still elected overwhelmingly in a democratic majority in a fair election.
    Did anyone dispute this? And how did you come from that to this -

Face it: There's a good team, and a bad team, and you and Sarmatian just can't but help root for the bad team, for whatever reason.
    - and how his win affects the "goodness" and "badness" of sides?

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Nope! GC you have the blinders on.

Russia had legitimate concerns. The West was complacent in unsettling and destabilizing the situation there. The west also looted quite a few assets from Ukraine during that time.

Still Russia did exacerbate the situation and bring it to the point of international war and produced civil war within the country.

So I would just say there were no good guys or bad guys. Just thugs lined up to take advantage of a desperate situation.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Nope! GC you have the blinders on.

Russia had legitimate concerns. The West was complacent in unsettling and destabilizing the situation there. The west also looted quite a few assets from Ukraine during that time.

Still Russia did exacerbate the situation and bring it to the point of international war and produced civil war within the country.

So I would just say there were no good guys or bad guys. Just thugs lined up to take advantage of a desperate situation.
    A Democratic Westward-looking Ukraine is only a threat to Russia if Russia has an irrational fear of democracy and the West.

Russian paranoia is not a legitimate Cassus Belli.

Everybody but Russia knows this.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 90 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast