Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Spoiler free post - please use spoiler tags for anything in the books, not yet shown on TV

I'm coming a bit late to this subject, but can't see a thread on it. I've been avidly watching Game of Thrones on BBC TV. Anyone else liking it?

It's been described as the Sopranos meets the Lord of the Rings, which sounds about right. With a "low" fantasy medieval setting, it features quite a large and vivid cast of characters, plotting against each other (playing the game of winning the throne). The first TV season apparently covers the first book (A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin) in a series of five with more to come. The second season has already been approved.

I was inspired by the TV series to buy the book and have been impressed by how faithful it is - the dialogue is mainly straight out of the book, which is written in a very contemporary and accessible style. (Although I find the constant alternating of character viewpoint from chapter to chapter very de-motivating for reading.) The plot seems quite intricate and involved - I love story lines that stretch over many seasons. The production values are of cinema standard - as you can see from a fairly jaw dropping opening clip (no spoilers - it's just the opening 15 minutes):

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/...ones&view=null

One of the best things about the show is the casting and acting. Sean Bean is just Sean Bean, but reading his lines in the books, it is hard to see anyone playing the straight man role so convincingly. The Lannister twins are delicious - suavely malign. My favorite characters are Tyrion, the erudite sardonic dwarf, and Arya, the twelve year old tomboy. Even Mark Addy, the fat bloke from the Full Monty and the Tesco adds, does well as the king. The only false note may be the exiled young king in waiting, but then I think he's supposed to be rather absurd and ridiculous.

It seems another instance of American TV producing amazingly good stuff - far superior to what British TV or even Hollywood can manage. Quite a reversal of what was true 30 years ago. I wonder what has changed? I guess in part it's down to the rise of HBO (The Wire, True Blood, Rome, Band of Brothers etc.), but it does not seem confined to them (Lost, Battlestar Galactica, 24 etc all had their moments).
    Last edited by econ21; 05-24-2011 at 07:36.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

I have never read the books but I was aware of them, I have to say that even some of my friends who don't like fantasy are giving the nod to this one.

Love the mix of humour and serious and also the fact they are just getting on with the story and not bothering wasting entire episode explaining back story like so many lazy shows do.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 05-14-2011 at 15:12.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

I love this show!!! I've been a huge fan of the books for years, so I was really excited to hear that HBO was making a series of Game of Thrones. HBO's shows have always had really high production value. I think the casting was really well done, especially the actor they chose for Jaime Lannister. He has the perfect combination of sarcasm, ego, and smarminess that the character has in the books. Tyrion is one of my favorite characters in the book, so I'm glad to see Peter Dinklage do such an awesome job with him. It will be interesting to see how they deal with how complicated the series gets. For those who haven't read the books, each chapter is from the point of view of a character. The books have so many characters, my guess is that HBO will have to make some of the less important ones into composites to not confuse viewers. I'm happy they've already renewed it for a second season!
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first two episodes but I couldn't stand waiting for more so I started reading the books. Now I'm at the beginning of the third book in the series. :P

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    I really enjoyed the first two episodes but I couldn't stand waiting for more so I started reading the books.
    Same here. My girlfriend warned me that I would ruin the TV show for myself by reading, but my feeling is that I want to know where the story is going, not so much the show.

Anyway, the TV series is fantastic so far. Yeah, we do seem to be living in some sort of golden age. Doubtless it's some confluence of economics and artistic momentum, but astonishingly good TV seems to be coming out much more frequently than anything equivalent in film. Sopranos, BSG, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etcetera. Got to enjoy this moment.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm enjoying it as well.

The casting is great, and I especially enjoyed the fact that Sam Tarly has a neckbeard. It fits so well.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two of my roommates this past year were major fans of the book and were very excited by the series. I started watching with them and, like a lot of posters here, decided to take the plunge soon afterwards. I do enjoy the series - I think HBO was the perfect medium for something this complex. It's very faithful to the canon as well. I hear that GRRM himself has actually written one of the season's later episodes.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

epic series. really beautiful as well. i like it, considering to read the books, but im not sure if i want to know the story while i watch the series. kinda the wrong way around perhaps but the series are good so...

We do not sow.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

i refuse to watch until the sob actually writes the next book ive been waiting since i was a little kid almost.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    i refuse to watch until the sob actually writes the next book ive been waiting since i was a little kid almost.
    You know he's finished and it's coming out in July, right?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Im loving the series. It is great that now there is fantasy series finally with large enough budget, good writers and cood cast. I cant wait to see the next episode.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    You know he's finished and it's coming out in July, right?
    then i will watch in july.

Blog Entries

I gotta say, I dont remember the books being so blunt about renley and loras. Littlefinger isnt exactly very subtle either. Out of all the things it gets right this series cant seem to get foreshadowing very well.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-16-2011 at 17:36.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

bewbs and violence

It's deffintely watchable
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I gotta say, I dont remember the books being so blunt about renley and loras. Littlefinger isnt exactly very subtle either. Out of all the things it gets right this series cant seem to get foreshadowing very well.
    Yeah, I felt like the last episode went a bit far in condensing things (plus I didn't even pick up on Loras-Renly in the books at all).

Blog Entries

The books weren't. But they never showed anything from those character's perspectives. I was a bit more surprised by Littlefinger's lack of subtlety - it seems like that wouldn't be information you imply publicly if it's a secret.

My problem was with how the actor who plays Loras has no muscle and is just skin and bones. It suspends disbelief a bit when someone says they've been sword fighting their whole life looks like they've never done anything athletic.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    The books weren't. But they never showed anything from those character's perspectives. I was a bit more surprised by Littlefinger's lack of subtlety - it seems like that wouldn't be information you imply publicly if it's a secret.

My problem was with how the actor who plays Loras has no muscle and is just skin and bones. It suspends disbelief a bit when someone says they've been sword fighting their whole life looks like they've never done anything athletic.

CR
    Yeah Loras is a pretty boy but Im sure it would have been a sinewy strength seen through Martin's eyes. At the very least they should all probably have wrists the size of my neck to be accurate haha.

Blog Entries

Little finger starting off a scene(twice) staring at the iron throne (which my the way looks way too safe for a throne that can kill the sitter if he isnt careful) seems really blatant.
    Last edited by A Nerd; 05-17-2011 at 11:42. Reason: spoilers
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Little finger starting off a scene(twice) staring at the iron throne (which my the way looks way too safe for a throne that can kill the sitter if he isnt careful) seems really blatant.
    No spoilers please, for those who haven't read or seen it.

I've been really excited about watching this, it has been incredible. I'm a huge fan of the books and have started re-reading them because of this show. I'm also getting my girlfriend into the show, even though it isn't really her sort of thing. She justloves the actors and is getting into it more and more. Something for everyone in it.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Please provide spoilers for sensitive material.

Thank you! :)
    Last edited by A Nerd; 05-17-2011 at 11:44.
    Silence is beautiful

I think this is the best that can happen to any Fantasy saga or even just book series out there. What HBO does with the source material is really incredible.

I'm glad to hear some info from people that have not read the books as it's hard for me to watch the show without all the background knowledge I have in my head. I immediatelly recognized some of the dialogue that was taken from the book and a lot stems of course from knowing how it'll turn out in the long run. It will be interesting to see if they can keep the complexity of the book and still make it understandable for all viewers.

So far it seems they have achieved their goal. I really hope HBO can finish this all the way through to season 5 or 6. Would really like watching it all.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    Yeah Loras is a pretty boy but Im sure it would have been a sinewy strength seen through Martin's eyes. At the very least they should all probably have wrists the size of my neck to be accurate haha.
    I'm not saying it couldn't be a sinewy strength. But cross country runners look really muscular compared to that actor.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

I'm really excited about this week's episode! Spoiler for people who haven't read the books:

I think this is the episode where Viserys dies!! I love to hate him, his death scene should be fun! The actor is doing such a great job with Viserys, though. He's got the right combination of haughtiness and looking like a weasel. He adds more depth to the character than was provided in the books.
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, I cant wait till he gets "crowned"

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I need to start watching this show. It looks interesting.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quite simply fantastic. The high-level show you expect from HBO all thrown into a fantasy setting. Again, simply fantastic.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scienter View Post
    I'm really excited about this week's episode! Spoiler for people who haven't read the books:
    I've been looking forward to this scene since I started watching the series.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I've been looking forward to this scene since I started watching the series.

CR
    That will be great. Also (again scene for people having read the books only)...
    I can't wait for Ned's death scene. I hope they maintain the way that it looks from Arya's point of view, because that could be really intense if it is shot correctly.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a sinewy strength. But cross country runners look really muscular compared to that actor.

CR
    No I'm agreeing with you the Loras actor looks more like a flower girl at a wedding than the knight of flowers.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

deadwood and boardwalk empire are quality shows too!

We do not sow.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast