Page 4 of 120 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

Default Re: Representative Democracy [In Play]

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    If you can get people to agree to it on informal grounds.

Deeply unlikely to happen, and we won't know about it until after the fact. Russian roulette is a sounder approach than this. And if it did happen by chance, then in terms of strategy what would it tell us? The only case is if then they keep in the same district with each other and none of them is NKed, but even then since the grounds for NK will be shifted in this game it's a complete pie-sky thought.
    I'm talking about approaches for the chancellor, not the extremes of outcome. There's two basic approaches: try to dilute scum influence in any given district by splitting the scummy people up, or doing exactly the opposite and trying to keep them together to minimize the districts they can influence. Or put another way, by keeping all the towniest people together such that a certain district might almost turn into a masonry and lead the rest. I don't know which is better, but Cass' comment got my mind spinning.

I'm having trouble understanding your wording at times; I'm not sure what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Visor View Post
    Morning

Gimme power

Bye
    Vote yourself, silly.

Game.seems pretty simple

I choose.someone and everyone votes for them to die

I'll kill the scum eventually

Renata, never forget the night kill. It will be our best hope in weeding out scum. Don't pin hopes on electing "the right" people at this point.

What could be a killing blow against Town: 10 people left, scum Chancellor elected, "You want gerrymandering? You got it!"

Morning

Gimme power

Bye
    You're next in line. Get rid of Zack first. Then we lynch GH and elect you Chancellor.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. If you can get people to agree to it on informal grounds.

2. Deeply unlikely to happen, and we won't know about it until after the fact. Russian roulette is a sounder approach than this. And if it did happen by chance, then in terms of strategy what would it tell us? The only case is if then they keep in the same district with each other and none of them is NKed, but even then since the grounds for NK will be shifted in this game it's a complete pie-sky thought.
    1. Question: Does it make most sense in favour of Town?
    I think it does. Every player accountable for a vote, and either voting with or away from a consensus that has either a positive or negative outcome.

So scum hunting is still the same.

The main risk here as I see it is Scum have the potential/responsibility for a new/higher level of divide and conquer. Town have to step up and try and establish rules for the greater good.

2. In terms of strategy, what are you thinking will work best and why?

I don't think Russian Roulette is a fair comparison? We all play mafia, we all have scum hunting skills, scum hunting doesn't just fall down to luck/chance.

Off the cuff, Renata has voiced what I'm thinking and I can't tell if you're fear-mongering or just seeing things from a different side with a stronger point of view.

Renata, never forget the night kill. It will be our best hope in weeding out scum.
    You keep talking about the night kill. I don't know what you're getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    1. Question: Does it make most sense in favour of Town?
    I think it does. Every player accountable for a vote, and either voting with or away from a consensus that has either a positive or negative outcome.
    As I said, good luck arranging it.

2. In terms of strategy, what are you thinking will work best and why?
    Nothing yet. That's for post-mortem. I'll do whatever makes sense in the moment or for perceived developing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Renata
    You keep talking about the night kill. I don't know what you're getting at.
    No! Only now...
    Vitiate Man.

Vote: Visor
    Vote: Visor

Quote Originally Posted by dicetosser1 View Post
    Yes. The problem comes when someone has a strong feel on someone and that is opposite the rest of the area. They may vote with their feel no matter that they said theyd go with majority
    Aaandd in that case, representatives breaking the trust of their electors should be scrutinised heavily, and either way would probably provide valuable information for/through the next day, as long as as it isn't done by every representative in every phase.

?

Orrrr, is it smarter scum hunting strategy to elect people as representatives and force them to vote/justify their cases of their own volition, without direct input from their districts?

I don't care if I'm a chancellor, I do care about being a representative.

I'm a double voter if I get representative status, so if the two others don't vote the same or vote abstain or whatever

I get to choose the lynch

As I said, good luck arranging it.

Nothing yet. That's for post-mortem. I'll do whatever makes sense in the moment or for perceived developing teams.

No! Only now...
    Lol the bold ...

It doesn't give me your opinion or input though, which is kind of what I was after :P

I'm a double voter if I get representative status, so if the two others don't vote the same or vote abstain or whatever

@Winston Hughes @BSmith @Csargo @Riedquat @El Barto @Monstrbro

gimme power please

It doesn't give me your opinion or input though, which is kind of what I was after :P
    I don't think much of it, but I won't oppose the campaign to put it in place (or its enforcement).

Orrrr, is it smarter scum hunting strategy to elect people as representatives and force them to vote/justify their cases of their own volition, without direct input from their districts?
    Keep in mind that we will elect new representatives whenever redistricting occurs. This will depend on where the lynches and kills fall, and the inclinations of the Chancellor. It might be more useful to spend time influencing others' representatives than just your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Visor

WHAT?
    Vitiate Man.

Oooohhhh

Visor for Representative!

And Doc protect as long as he lynches wolves.

Why can't we share a District v.v

Visor is evil and lying, especially if he's not lying.

What is the meaning of this?
    Vitiate Man.

I'm trying to understand why you don't think much of it?

1. Need to see if I'm not seeing holes.

2. Think it's best if everyone put opinions and thoughts on the board.

This mechanics talk is great and all, but where are the reads

I think Cass is town and renata probably also town

I kinda like Dices first post just because

zack is.... okay? i guess

I'm trying to understand why you don't think much of it?
    If you favor it for the sake of "data", then I don't see that it will produce more than leaving townies to speak whatever to no effect, and representatives to engage directly with each other.

This mechanics talk is great and all, but where are the reads

I think Cass is town and renata probably also town

I kinda like Dices first post just because

zack is.... okay? i guess
    Why would you claim double vote?
    Vitiate Man.

Hey folks. Just checking in during some pre-Christmas cleaning. Given that I only know Dp here, I don't have much to offer at this point other than my initial reactions. The push to get Zack seemed to pick up a lot of steam very quickly. That could simply be his personality, we have some very good townies on my board as well, but it still strikes me as somewhat odd. I do find Cass' take on it to be more reassuring. Given the format of this game, the person in charge of setting districts has the capacity to either greatly hurt or greatly help town, and I'm more interested in someone who is going to take a strategic approach to the position rather than use it as a platform to test their own gut feelings on who is scum.

Vote: Dp101
    Vote: Cass
    Vote: Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Cass_ View Post
    I think we already agreed on this bit in that I think the best strategy early on is many groups, and small.
    a) You and DP101 have both suggested 5. Why 5? Iirc Districts only need a minimum of 3 players and we start with 21. Mathsarehard but that gives us 7 if we split to maximum?

b) Why does the number 5 make the strategy of separating those you find scummy from those you find Towny not a sound approach?

I think the more groups we have total, the less likely we are to have Scum in control of a majority of them. Seven sounds like a safer play for town.

Keep in mind that we will elect new representatives whenever redistricting occurs. This will depend on where the lynches and kills fall, and the inclinations of the Chancellor. It might be more useful to spend time influencing others' representatives than just your own.
    Can you explain how the bold fits with the rest?

If we get redistributed we re-elect the person we want to either represent our, or justify their own, vote?

I'm getting the impression you're leaning towards playing independently with the setup as an additional piece if the puzzle?

Sounds like the easiest option to me and I can't hate it til I've had more time to think, but what ways can you see to make this setup work for Town?

FWIW, I see 4, max 5 wolves in this setup.

Either is about as equally likely, just depends how wolfsided atpg thinks the lynch mechanics and PRs are

Why is Zack ok?

Player-specific thoughts on the early push towards him as Chancellor etc?

Why is Zack ok?

Player-specific thoughts on the early push towards him as Chancellor etc?
    i read his posts when i was half asleep

and they were okay, didn't really lean me one way or the other

maybe slightly good

in fact lets just make a yolo judgement call here

sooh is a wolf

zack is a villager
    renata is a villager
    monty is... probably a wolf (yolo)
    cass is a villager
    choxorn is a villager
    dice is a villager
    dp is (yolo) a villager
    gh is a villager
    jabbz could be a wolf but idk yet

and thats my reads rn

and if you ask why #feels

Member thankful for this post:

Cass_ 

visor and cass should be reps, very likely villagers

No! Only now...
    The only good thing about my current confusion, maybe, is that confusing the heck out of me was not part of your scum strategy from last game. You were "wonderfully" straight-forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    if there's more than 1 mafia in the district reps, then a scum is almost never going to get lynched. Pretty high price to pay for slightly better late-game analysis.
    So you're also for the 'put all the possi/consensus-scummies' in one District?

Mechanic suggestion for future: Representatives can communicate privately with the Chancellor.
    Why privately?

So you're also for the 'put all the possi/consensus-scummies' in one District?

Why privately?
    there I was specifically explaining why dp's "let the mafia decide who to lynch" strategy was bad

though I do tend to favor that line of thought, yes. not convinced either way yet, depends on game state like i said.

Who'd you bribe to get that role?

Default Re: Representative Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    if there's more than 1 mafia in the district reps, then a scum is almost never going to get lynched. Pretty high price to pay for slightly better late-game analysis.
    Mechanic suggestion for future: Representatives can communicate privately with the Chancellor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    3 districts, 1 mafia voter, 2 townie voters
    3 districts, 1 town voter, 2 mafia voters
    3 districts, 3 town voters
    3 districts, 3 mafia voters

I don't know that I'd be able to distinguish one from the other here based on votes, but perhaps I'm missing something. Seems to me like scum would be able to easily slip under the radar in either of these configurations. What am I not seeing?

Not sure a bigger selection would be better either, I just don't really understand the sort of techniques that would be applicable to scum here.
    Soohbear, got brain's on what will work best for Town here?

My head hurts

Quote Originally Posted by Renata View Post
    The only good thing about my current confusion, maybe, is that confusing the heck out of me was not part of your scum strategy from last game. You were "wonderfully" straight-forward.
    I don't think straightforward is a word I would have ever used to descibe his play in that game lol

Page 4 of 120 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast